Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by TCrouch »

I've just gotta share this, because I've apparently reached the summit of Mount Everest when it comes to nerd-dom with sim racing.

Over the weekend, I spent some time installing a full 4-post motion platform on my rig--and then dialing in the settings to give myself just a bit of 'seat of pants' feeling. Combining that with my triple 50" 4K 120Hz displays feels like I have an amusement part ride from Las Vegas in my rig room now. My mind has been completely blown...the rig kicks up when I hit rumble strips, pitches forward under heavy braking. It even has haptics built into each actuator via software...so ABS lockups **literally** chatter the front of the rig as the ABS engages and disengages. I'm still freaking out about it, but I had my wife record one of the first laps I went out in it as a buddy was asking for a shot.

It doesn't take MUCH motion to be effective, but seeing the top of the rig sway compared to the big displays just highlights it. I even went and constructed a swiveling keyboard arm that's attached to the left display stand and put my cup-holder on it so my coffee/water doesn't slosh around while the rig is pitching and rolling. I thought it through!! :lol:

I never did figure out how to embed Youtube videos here...just shows up as youtube-link-/youtube, but whatever :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nLF521OF0

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Holy crap Terry, that's incredible. Envious over here w/ my Logitech wheel and 34" Widescreen Predator that's now 5 years old. LOL.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

That's looks incredible. Hell, you could charge people to take a spin in that.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:51 am
I've just gotta share this, because I've apparently reached the summit of Mount Everest when it comes to nerd-dom with sim racing.

Over the weekend, I spent some time installing a full 4-post motion platform on my rig--and then dialing in the settings to give myself just a bit of 'seat of pants' feeling. Combining that with my triple 50" 4K 120Hz displays feels like I have an amusement part ride from Las Vegas in my rig room now. My mind has been completely blown...the rig kicks up when I hit rumble strips, pitches forward under heavy braking. It even has haptics built into each actuator via software...so ABS lockups **literally** chatter the front of the rig as the ABS engages and disengages. I'm still freaking out about it, but I had my wife record one of the first laps I went out in it as a buddy was asking for a shot.

It doesn't take MUCH motion to be effective, but seeing the top of the rig sway compared to the big displays just highlights it. I even went and constructed a swiveling keyboard arm that's attached to the left display stand and put my cup-holder on it so my coffee/water doesn't slosh around while the rig is pitching and rolling. I thought it through!! :lol:

I never did figure out how to embed Youtube videos here...just shows up as youtube-link-/youtube, but whatever :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nLF521OF0
That is amazing Terry, thanks for sharing! I would be willing to pay you for consulting time on some sim rig upgrading advice as I am looking to potentially add some things for immersion, but still on a tight budget(approx $800) and looking for the most bang for buck. Particularly looking at being able to add one of the following:

dedicated cockpit (with ability for future upgrades like motion platform)
QUAD monitor stand
dd wheel
load cell pedals
butt kicker(s)

PS - I just realized that last month this thread celebrated it's 15 year anniversary since the original Racing Sim Thread was broken. Wow!
Just shoot me a PM or hit me up on Discord if you are interested and have the time. Thanks so much!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Holy cow, Terry. That's a dream rig right there.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

My favourite part of it all is that even on your initial test of the absolute dream set-up, you still found time to be annoyed with yourself over how you exited Malmedy.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:53 am
consulting time on some sim rig upgrading advice as I am looking to potentially add some things for immersion, but still on a tight budget(approx $800) and looking for the most bang for buck. Particularly looking at being able to add one of the following:

dedicated cockpit (with ability for future upgrades like motion platform)
QUAD monitor stand
dd wheel
load cell pedals
butt kicker(s)

PS - I just realized that last month this thread celebrated it's 15 year anniversary since the original Racing Sim Thread was broken. Wow!
Just shoot me a PM or hit me up on Discord if you are interested and have the time. Thanks so much!
Always have time, man. I love talking this crap with anybody, but the rabbit hole goes so deep!!!!
GB_Simo wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:25 pm
My favourite part of it all is that even on your initial test of the absolute dream set-up, you still found time to be annoyed with yourself over how you exited Malmedy.
Yep! And the wife was holding my phone to record it, so I wasn't gonna make her sit through a re-recording because I drove like a numpty :lol:

And thanks everybody--it really is like the summit of my journey, which is bonkers. I've added even MORE stuff in the past week, with more coming.

But the funniest, craziest upgrade was simply the internet. If I'm gonna stream anything, I wanted MORE BANDWIDTH! And...mission accomplished lol

I didn't even know home connections could do that :lol:

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Those are some crazy speeds. Who is the provider?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Frontier Fiber Optic--they ran some lines to the neighborhood a few months back, so I took a nibble.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Automobilista 2 has just become my new favourite thing in the world.

I've been meaning to give it a proper go for a little while now - Steam reckons I hadn't booted the game since November - and the release of v1.4 seemed like as good an excuse as any. Since we're also rapidly approaching the point at which every homeowner in the UK has to sell an organ on the black market to pay for their winter utility bills, I thought I'd better play it now before I spent the winter converting my laptop to run on the power of positive thought.

Everything about it is just joyous. Tonight I've chucked a Brazilian stock car around a wet-but-drying Curitiba, scrabbling around on used-up wets while the rest of the field pitted for slicks and ran out of laps in which to run me down. I've ran the '98-spec Champ Car at Cleveland, bucking this way and that over every bump, never more than one squeeze of the loud pedal away from disaster but - and this, I feel, is the key to it - always with a chance of looking like an absolute hero when I snapped the car back into line. (Or a mug when I didn't. What restart button?) In those cars on that circuit, everything behaves broadly as you imagine it would have done in the real world and that includes you, because when have you ever imagined yourself being Arnd Meier?

At the 1970s Kyalami layout in a McLaren M23, I just about took victory in an epic 4-way dogfight spanning the entire race, swapping positions at practically every turn and spending a third of a lap running side-by-side with an AI car along the way. The AI might not be perfect but compared to anything else you've seen running on the Madness engine, it's a model of clean behaviour. 10 laps at close quarters, duking it out in every braking zone and slipstreaming down the straights, having a proper go at each other and always, without exception, racing cleanly. I loved it exactly as much as I loved an old favourite from the first AMS, turning laps at Taruma in an F3 car. Every vehicle is its own entity with its own unique characteristics, its own dynamics, and 'dynamic' is the best way to describe the driving experience. It feels full of energy, brought to vivid life by the kind of force feedback you quickly, and for all of the right reasons, stop being conscious of.

Yes, I think I quite like it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'll have to give that one a go at some point. I've had it since release but never dabbled in it much.

I just barely got around to really giving ACC a go for a league season, and that's fun, but man....so different compared to iRacing (specifically the braking model and how the ABS is more 'modern' and doesn't punish as much as iRacing's).

Not sure how much time I have for TWO sims, let alone three :lol:

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

TCrouch wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:09 pm
I'll have to give that one a go at some point. I've had it since release but never dabbled in it much.

I just barely got around to really giving ACC a go for a league season, and that's fun, but man....so different compared to iRacing (specifically the braking model and how the ABS is more 'modern' and doesn't punish as much as iRacing's).

Not sure how much time I have for TWO sims, let alone three :lol:
Bah. Time to be a jack of all trades and master of none. In the last 2 months I have played AMS2, ACC, AC, Raceroom, rf2, and even Race 07. Each has something to offer. I gave up my iracing account. Can't justify the cost model given how much enjoyment I get from other titles. AMS2 is great for the tracks you won't find elsewhere (well, except the original Reiza game). AMS2 looks great in VR, so it is my main title I play.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GTR Revival?
Ian Bell - Something Unique and massive coming. @bell_sms
11:38 AM · Sep 21, 2022 · Twitter Web App
Decided to make the follow up to GTR2 with the original team. Myself, Stephen Viljoen, Andy Garton, Stephen Baysted, Henrik Roos, Johan Roos, Vik Klomiets everyone of note who made GTR2 what it was.
Hardcore, balls to the wall, no compromise. We'll keep you updated.
Enjoy. xx

11:43 AM · Sep 21, 2022 · Twitter Web App
This will be made with zero Publisher input. My new company (on the way) Mildly Annoyed Games will take care of all of the development. It's going to be f***in epic.
From the master of hype in the sim racing world! I have long stopped getting too excited about posts like this, but it is interesting some of the names in the mix. Many are considered legends of the early days of racing sim mods. I will believe it when I see it. :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

DChaps wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:29 pm
GTR Revival?
Ian Bell - Something Unique and massive coming. @bell_sms
11:38 AM · Sep 21, 2022 · Twitter Web App
Decided to make the follow up to GTR2 with the original team. Myself, Stephen Viljoen, Andy Garton, Stephen Baysted, Henrik Roos, Johan Roos, Vik Klomiets everyone of note who made GTR2 what it was.
Hardcore, balls to the wall, no compromise. We'll keep you updated.
Enjoy. xx

11:43 AM · Sep 21, 2022 · Twitter Web App
This will be made with zero Publisher input. My new company (on the way) Mildly Annoyed Games will take care of all of the development. It's going to be f***in epic.
From the master of hype in the sim racing world! I have long stopped getting too excited about posts like this, but it is interesting some of the names in the mix. Many are considered legends of the early days of racing sim mods. I will believe it when I see it. :)
I look forward to discovering which of those legends of the scene will be thrown under the bus the instant this one meets any kind of criticism.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Has anyone given the new WOO game a shot? Curious to know if the iRacing involvement helped take the usual Monster competent game to a different level
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:50 am
Has anyone given the new WOO game a shot? Curious to know if the iRacing involvement helped take the usual Monster competent game to a different level
Nope. I'm skeptical because iRacing is the publisher and Monster is the developer. Monster has a checkered past with racing games, as its NASCAR Heat games had decent physics and lousy AI.

Tony Stewart Sprint Car Racing is another Monster game that gives me pause to wait on the WoO game. Tony Stewart is far from a sim, but it's one of the most fun "simcade" racing games in my collection. The racing AI is solid, the driving model is easy enough for anyone to be competitive, but you still need to drive the car and alter lines, etc. Setup also matters, which is cool.

Teal and I have a blast playing Tony Stewart online against each other and AI cars on a fairly regular basis. J isn't a big sim racing guy yet we're still VERY competitive against each other, which is the sign of a good, fun game. We beat each other about equally after some VERY competitive, wheel-to-wheel races. Can't ask for more than that.

So, I'm waiting for pro and gamer reviews to see if WoO is simply a reskinned Tony Stewart with real WoO tracks and drivers. If so, I'll pass on WoO. I'm not that big of a fan of the series where I must have licensed drivers and tracks. Smoke's game will be enough, especially since it has midgets and non-wing sprint cars, which both are FAR more fun to drive and FAR more exciting to watch in real life than WoO, in my opinion. Give me non-winged USAC racing over WoO seven days per week.

But if the new Monster WoO game is anything like Ratbag's old WoO game, then consider me sold. We shall see.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Dave wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:50 am

I’m a sucker for these games. I own every Tony Stewart game. The driving model has improved quite a bit, but the career mode & rest of the game feels very similar to its predecessors. It looks beautiful on my PS5.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Does the driving model resemble the old WoW game on PS2? Do the racing lines change in real time?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Playing THE SH*T out of it. It's so, so much better than the prior ones. You actually can get the car loose now, and there's a fine line between losing time because you kicked the rears out too much and gaining tons of lap time.

I kid you not...I'm playing full length seasons, and I'm already in season FIVE in career mode...I've been hopelessly addicted to it. It wasn't until my 3rd season that I got my first win (after I moved up to Regionals from Locals, then did a bunch of mid-pack finishes....went back to Locals and dominated that season finally with an almost-fully-upgraded car lol).

It's been an absolute blast, and the 305 Sprints handle VERY differently than the 360s, and the 410s.

iRacing's involvement wasn't just a sticker on the box...it's worlds better than the recent ones. Not quite at WoO 2002 level, but it's pretty damned sweet.

EASILY the best dirt game SINCE that masterpiece.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:18 pm
Playing THE SH*T out of it. It's so, so much better than the prior ones. You actually can get the car loose now, and there's a fine line between losing time because you kicked the rears out too much and gaining tons of lap time.

I kid you not...I'm playing full length seasons, and I'm already in season FIVE in career mode...I've been hopelessly addicted to it. It wasn't until my 3rd season that I got my first win (after I moved up to Regionals from Locals, then did a bunch of mid-pack finishes....went back to Locals and dominated that season finally with an almost-fully-upgraded car lol).

It's been an absolute blast, and the 305 Sprints handle VERY differently than the 360s, and the 410s.

iRacing's involvement wasn't just a sticker on the box...it's worlds better than the recent ones. Not quite at WoO 2002 level, but it's pretty damned sweet.

D*MN YOU TO HELL, TERRY! (Gets out wallet, looking for cash...)
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good to know, Terry. Your review is piling on the cacophony of glowing praise for this game.

My resistance weakens. I wish it was $40 instead of $50, but I'll look for some change in the couch cushions ...
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:11 am
Good to know, Terry. Your review is piling on the cacophony of glowing praise for this game.

My resistance weakens. I wish it was $40 instead of $50, but I'll look for some change in the couch cushions ...

Yeah, I was wanting to redeem some game pass points, but not quite enough for a 10 dollar credit yet.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:18 pm

Terry, would you mind sharing your difficulty and wheel/controller settings? I am not great on Dirt in iRacing, but I can't control the street stocks on the Xbox console at all with the assists off. Thanks!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I've been waiting 20 years to do this...

WoO-HOO!!!!

I love Tony Stewart Dirt Racing. PK and I have had some great racing nights with that game.

But I'll never be able to play it again, after experiencing WoO 22. Holy cow.

Everything about TS is improved in WoO. Everything. The driving model is worlds better. 305's are a dream to drive, and WoO sprints are on the edge of insanity...lol.

The sense of speed is nuts in cockpit. The announcer is dramatically better (no more "spend what u got") a dozen times in a race. The engine sounds are superb.

I'm just flabbergasted by this thing. Most fun I've had with a dirt racer since 2002...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This game is GREAT, for all the reasons Terry and Teal described so well.

Total Ratbag vibes. Feels like 2002 on the PS2 all over again, but with far better graphics.

I'm in filthy, dirt-slinging lust.