PSP price drop

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PSP price drop

Post by sportdan30 »

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

still too much

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:still too much
That's laughable. For what you get, it's a damn fine price. Just compare it technology-wise to the rest of the gadgets out there. Fine, you may not like the software library or whatever, but for the price, the hardware you get is worth it.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I think they're cool, but the big q for me is 'when would i play it?' It be great when traveling, but other than that, if I'm gonna play around, it's gonna be on the 360 in hd, etc... If it goes under $100(yeah right), i'll be in I'm sure.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:still too much
That's laughable. For what you get, it's a damn fine price. Just compare it technology-wise to the rest of the gadgets out there. Fine, you may not like the software library or whatever, but for the price, the hardware you get is worth it.
I agree. I'm very impressed with the PSP. There is a lot of bang for the buck for $170.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

That is an argument you hear a lot these days. I don't know if it is a red flag for the gaming industry, but the fact that the monthly sales chart mirrors the prices leads one to think that "next gen" whether it be the PSP or the PS3 or the 360, is still more money than a lot of people want to spend right now for gaming/entertainment.

This might work to Sony's advantage - the PS3 is selling well enough to help along the Blu Ray (although the fact that we are seeing a lot more Blu Ray movies coming out than HD-DVD seems like a bigger factor) and it may be a while before they really start moving a lot of boxes. But by then Sony won't be taking such a big hit on each PS3 as manufacturing prices go down.

The PSP is no interest to me personally, but I don't travel much for business and frankly, my eyes are just too damn bad to play on a small screen like that for long - so I doubt any handheld would get my business.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

greggsand wrote:I think they're cool, but the big q for me is 'when would i play it?' It be great when traveling, but other than that, if I'm gonna play around, it's gonna be on the 360 in hd, etc... If it goes under $100(yeah right), i'll be in I'm sure.
I am the complete opposite. I play my PSP/DS more than my console. It is easy to underestimate sleep mode. It is so convenient to pause a game anywhere and jump right back where you left off in ANY game. So great in MLB The Show, Puzzle Quest, or any other game. I love it.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

I've been thinking about grabbing a PSP, and this helps the decision. For those of you that have one, could you please list the must have games for the system (in your opinion of course)? I would appreciate it, and it would help me to come up with a decent little "shopping list." :wink:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

My PSP is basically a MLB machine... it never leaves the system. I play it on the subway, on the toilet, when I'm visiting the in-laws, etc. It's fantastic.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

grtwhtsk wrote:I've been thinking about grabbing a PSP, and this helps the decision. For those of you that have one, could you please list the must have games for the system (in your opinion of course)? I would appreciate it, and it would help me to come up with a decent little "shopping list." :wink:
MLB and GTA Vice City. That's all I need.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

grtwhtsk wrote:I've been thinking about grabbing a PSP, and this helps the decision. For those of you that have one, could you please list the must have games for the system (in your opinion of course)? I would appreciate it, and it would help me to come up with a decent little "shopping list." :wink:
MLB The Show (Duh)
Puzzle Quest
Dungeon Siege Thrones of Agony (if you like Dungeon hacks)
Field Commander (if you like strategy wargames)
Exit (fun little action puzzler)
Capcom Classics
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution (still fun)
DJ Max 1 & 2 (import, if you like Beatmania games)
Outrun 2 Coast 2 Coast
Initial D (awesome arcade racer, but import only)
Burnout Legends (dominator kinda blows)
Hot Shots Golf
Metal Slug Anthrology
Gradius Collection
GTA VCS and LCS

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Thanks guys! Are there any accessories that I must have right away? I don't want the sales guy to talk me into a bunch of junk that I don't need. I'm sure I need some kind of memory stick (recommended size?), but not sure what else.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Get a 1gb memory stick so you can put 2 or 3 movies on it...and get a screen protector (just the film covers) because the screen scratches easily. That's all you need.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I would recommend a 2+gig memory stick. If you can put custom firmware onto the machine, it is even better because I put ISOs in there (for the games I own, like Initial D) and the loading is alot faster. If I play from UMD, each course load for Initial D is about 30-45 seconds. When I run it from memory stick, it is about 5-10 seconds!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Wow $170 for a PSP and $40 for a 2-gig card now is a hell of a deal. Being able to rip DVD's to put on your PSP is simply awesome. Then there's the games too. Right now MLB 07, Lumines II, and DJ Max Portable 2 (as soon as it gets here) are more than enough to satisfy my gaming needs on the PSP. I bought one at launch for $250 (the bundle) and don't feel ripped off in the slightest.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They could use a new design. They should be able to crank out smaller process chips and maybe a bigger capacity battery.

They could also fix the nub, maybe replicate the dual analog scheme.

Look what repackaging does for Nintendo?

Supposedly GT Mobile is coming this year?

But really, puzzle games which can be played for short bursts of time would be ideal.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

I really hate my PSP. Gaming wise I find it really difficult to play anything longer than 20 minutes (i.e. fifa or *gulp* madden). MLB isn't bad but it's not great. After picking up a DS lite I barely every pick up the PSP for games and really only ever use it now to watch stuff I've recorded with TiVo.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

I use mine to play Yu-Gi-Oh GX Tag Force...

If you're not into collectible card games you won't necessarily like it, but it's a perfect fit for the PSP.

Randy

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

LocoRoco is a fantastic little game, very unique and underrated IMO. Can't beat Lumines (I or II) either.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

I picked up a PSP a few months ago. I was very impressed by the hardware upon taking it out of the box. That said, I found actually playing games on the system to be incredibly boring. There was no way I would touch the thing at home with my 360 lying around, and I found (not really to my surprise) that I far prefer reading to squinting into a handheld when travelling. I put it up on ebay and haven't missed the PSP at all.

To each, their own.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

squinting? Eye issues?

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Slumberland wrote:My PSP is basically a MLB machine... it never leaves the system. I play it on the subway, on the toilet, when I'm visiting the in-laws, etc. It's fantastic.
Same, I actually picked up a second just so I could devote one to nothing but MLB. I definitely have gotten my money's worth at the higher price. If you're on the fence I think it's time to leap.

I still can't understand why there isn't more love for the little guy - even if you don't like the games, as Scoop mentioned, for the price of a PSP and a 2 GB card you have hands down the best video-on-the-go machine out there for any price (the large widescreen totally smokes a video iPod - and I love my iPod). Forget the UMD thing ever happened, as there are plenty of ways to transfer any movie or video headache-free.

drbaseball
Mario Mendoza

Post by drbaseball »

Blublub wrote:
Slumberland wrote:My PSP is basically a MLB machine... it never leaves the system. I play it on the subway, on the toilet, when I'm visiting the in-laws, etc. It's fantastic.
Same, I actually picked up a second just so I could devote one to nothing but MLB. I definitely have gotten my money's worth at the higher price. If you're on the fence I think it's time to leap.

I still can't understand why there isn't more love for the little guy - even if you don't like the games, as Scoop mentioned, for the price of a PSP and a 2 GB card you have hands down the best video-on-the-go machine out there for any price (the large widescreen totally smokes a video iPod - and I love my iPod). Forget the UMD thing ever happened, as there are plenty of ways to transfer any movie or video headache-free.
What do you use to transfer you movies "headache-free?"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

drbaseball wrote:What do you use to transfer you movies "headache-free?"
http://www.magicdvdripper.com/

Best 30 bucks I ever spent. It works for damn near everything, so it's not just PSP specific.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

I use PSPWare for the Mac - very slick and only about ten bucks, but I'm not sure if they make a Windows version. Even if not, I know there are many others out there.