Fantasy Advice

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Fantasy Advice

Post by fanatic »

Not sure if this could be an open thread for general fantasy talk/advice. I know that there is the DSP Fantasy League, but maybe this could be for guys looking to talk about other leagues, etc...?

Anyways, I'd love to talk fantasy and give opinions whenever possible. Of course for this particular post, I need some advice myself. Wondering if any of you could give me your input.

Right now I just joined a keeper league. Basically it uses a normal scoring system, but batter walks and k's are counted which adds a nice dimension.

The budget for this league is $300 and I'm just not sure how much I should be thinking about value. Let me explain:

I can protect 3 guys from my current lineup. However, I have 4 who are considered studs:

1. Vlad $42 (price is high because he rarely k's)
2. Arod $41
3. Morneau $11 (a great price I have him locked in at)
4. M. Holliday $18 (Coors field or not, he can hit)

The one key point is that Arod must be dropped after this year. I can keep the other three for 2 years. (3 year max contract in league).

So, do I drop Arod or Holliday?

I know that Holliday is much better priced at $18, plus I can keep him for next year too. My only hesitation is that he's batting 5th this year and maybe won't get enough at bats, etc...

I would drop Arod, but I think he is going to have a MONSTER year. He's dropped 10-15 pounds and is in a contract year. Surrounded by the Yankee lineup, I don't see how he won't outperform Holliday.

So the question is this: Take the drop off but better value with Holliday or stick with Arod for one year?

Sorry if this is too much to expect to read- I promise I will return the favors.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

fan,

You probably won't like what i'm about to say, but i think you cut Vlad. Here's my rationale:

Positionally A-Rod has to be kept. 3B isn't as deep as it once was and the guy is going to have a huge year. A must keep and at $41 in a $300 league he's good value
Morneau is a no brainer at $11
Holliday for $18 versus Vlad for $42. To me you're not going to lose enough points between the two to warrant the $24 difference and can use that money in other places of need. While OF's like Vlad are not a dime a dozen, you can find OF talent for cheaper prices than you can find 3B talent like A-Rod.

For me, with the salaries as they are and the salary cap where it is, i go A-Rod, Holliday and Morneau. Also i am assuming it's an auction style so you still have a chance to grab Vlad in the auction, probably for around the same price where as Holliday is going to fetch FAR more than $18 if you cut him loose.

Just my $.02

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

RallyMonkey wrote:fan,

You probably won't like what i'm about to say, but i think you cut Vlad. Here's my rationale:

Positionally A-Rod has to be kept. 3B isn't as deep as it once was and the guy is going to have a huge year. A must keep and at $41 in a $300 league he's good value
Morneau is a no brainer at $11
Holliday for $18 versus Vlad for $42. To me you're not going to lose enough points between the two to warrant the $24 difference and can use that money in other places of need. While OF's like Vlad are not a dime a dozen, you can find OF talent for cheaper prices than you can find 3B talent like A-Rod.

For me, with the salaries as they are and the salary cap where it is, i go A-Rod, Holliday and Morneau. Also i am assuming it's an auction style so you still have a chance to grab Vlad in the auction, probably for around the same price where as Holliday is going to fetch FAR more than $18 if you cut him loose.

Just my $.02
'

LOL...I knew you were going to say that!

You do make a lot of sense. I guess I was really liking Vlad because he only strikes out 65 times or so a year vs. 130 for Arod. So, even if he only puts up 30HR, 100RBI which is liking brushing his teeth in the morning for Vlad, it still ends up getting as many points as if Arod puts up 40-120.

But you're right about positional scarcity. There are a tonne of good outfielders around, that's for sure.

Good thing I have till wednesday to decide...lol..I appreciate the feedback RallyMonkey

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

If every team only gets three keepers, that means there's a lot of talent available in the pool. I think you're better off keeping Holliday because that gives you more capital for this year's auction, plus he's undervalued at $18. I don't really think either $40 player is undervalued in a $300 cap league. If they went back into the draft, they'd likely go again for about the same amount. If you have any other bargains on your roster, I'd consider keeping them instead of either blue chip.

Given a choice, I'd personally keep Arod over Guerrero but that's secondary to keeping Holliday IMHO.

I also don't understand the relevance of Guerrero's K numbers unless that's a category.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

sfz_T-car wrote:If every team only gets three keepers, that means there's a lot of talent available in the pool. I think you're better off keeping Holliday because that gives you more capital for this year's auction, plus he's undervalued at $18. I don't really think either $40 player is undervalued in a $300 cap league. If they went back into the draft, they'd likely go again for about the same amount. If you have any other bargains on your roster, I'd consider keeping them instead of either blue chip.

Given a choice, I'd personally keep Arod over Guerrero but that's secondary to keeping Holliday IMHO.

I also don't understand the relevance of Guerrero's K numbers unless that's a category.
Hey...thanks for the feedback..I've taken the advice from both you guys and decided to keep Holliday, Arod and Morneau.

But yes, K's are a category- which adds a whole new piece to the puzzle. So are walks.