The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Spooky wrote:-I read somewhere that you can upload 25k songs from your library to the cloud for Apple Music (by-passing iTunes Match) for songs that are not already in Apple Music and it will be bumped to 100k by the end of the year...
That's a big plus.
Call me crazy but think they are upping that to 100k. I swear I read that yesterday.

Edit...it will be 100k once iOS 9 arrives in the fall.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/29/appl ... 00k-songs/
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's a good start for them. You may claim that they are a bit behind in the streaming industry but once it reaches to the Android crowd, they'll be picking up steam and fight with the heavyweights like Spotify and Google Play Music. The three month freebie will give them enough time to improve and get better, personally I think the integration with Siri is pretty cool.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Signed up for Apple Music free trial, making sure I turned off the auto-renew feature.

My initial impressions are "meh." The interface is FAR too busy and disorganized compared to Google Music, and the Siri implementation is far from accurate or reliable. The lauded B1 radio station also is pure pop shite.

But the sound quality is very good, and there are some cool records available on Apple Music that aren't on Google Music, such as a recent live recording of the Stones playing all of "Sticky Fingers" at a club in L.A.

Highly unlikely I'll switch. Apple offers nothing that is a game-changer, and I already have far too much time and curation invested into Google Music to justify a change. I also REALLY dig Google Music's simple, efficient Web and app interfaces.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

iOS 9 is out today. So far I am impressed. The new News app is pretty cool. Nothing groundbreaking but it's done well IMO. Apple basically used Flipboards approach by asking you for favorites and then creating your news. I use the Notes app a lot so I am super glad they updated it with checklists, etc. well done. Siri is definitely snappier as is the entire OS. So far so good. I'll be used to it by the time my iPhone 6s arrives on the 25th.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Finally upgraded my iPhone from the 4S to the 6plus. Now that I got a big phone screen, what iPhone games are worthwhile? How about the latest RBI baseball?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JackB1 wrote:Finally upgraded my iPhone from the 4S to the 6plus. Now that I got a big phone screen, what iPhone games are worthwhile? How about the latest RBI baseball?
I thought the 6 Plus was a big phone until I placed my Nexus 6 right next to it. :lol:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Yes the 6 plus is HUGE compared to my 4s. Still getting used to it.

So can anyone tell me some good games for the iPhone 6 Plus?
9 innings baseball is kinda fun. Is RBI better? SBK motorcycle
Racing is the best game I've seen so far.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:Finally upgraded my iPhone from the 4S to the 6plus. Now that I got a big phone screen, what iPhone games are worthwhile? How about the latest RBI baseball?
I only play one game on my 6S: Dots. It was fantastic and addictive on my 4S and still is on my 6S. :)

Sorry I'm not more help!

Fading into a scene, wearing my Actionslacks,
Dick Fain
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

For me personally, gaming on the phone has lost its luster. Every now and then, I'm introduced to a game by my kids and I'll play it for a couple days, and then grow bored of it. And usually it's a pretty simple game.

You may want to give MLB Manager 2016 a try. It's made by the same developers of Out Of The Park Developments.

I'm pretty sure there are some decent racing games as well.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

pk500 wrote:
I only play one game on my 6S: Dots. It was fantastic and addictive on my 4S and still is on my 6S. :)

Sorry I'm not more help!

Fading into a scene, wearing my Actionslacks,
Dick Fain
Lol about the NHL Rivals reference :)
Good times

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone here planning on buying the Apple Airpods, if so post your impressions? I'm tempted but not sure if they are worth $159. The positives i've read so far is that they have a super long range from the source, meaning you can leave the phone in the kitchen and they still work out in the driveway. That's pretty badass if true.

I've also read they sound better than expected but none of the impressions compared it to any other headphone.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Bluetooth range is about 30 feet, though sometimes, I've had stuttering sound when the phone is in my pocket and I'm wearing wireless headphones (not the Apple Pods).

I don't think they're worth $160 for 4-5 hours of battery life.

The main nice thing about them is that if you put them up to your ears, they automatically play and pairing is automatic.

You can get 4-5 hour BT headphones from no-name Chinese brands on Amazon for under $30. That is a good way to see if you like being untethered, trading sound quality for the convenience of not having wires. I use them for the gym and pretty much everything else now.

I paid $150 for Plantronics headphones with 20-hour battery life and active noise cancellation. They fit over the ears. Good for flights and when you're tired of wearing in-ear pods.

Pairing is kind of a pain, especially if you're swapping them between more than one device. But auto-pairing isn't worth what Apple is charging.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Yes the AirPods get 5 hours on a charge but the case they come in is also the charger. It holds a 24 hour charge - meaning when you are done your workout, etc. you put them back in the case and they are charged for the next use. Also, I believe the AirPods are using a new chip designed by Apple. It's their own "version" of Bluetooth. I have them preordered.

Also, I believe the reason they were delayed was a sync issue between each ear piece...being they aren't physically connected.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:Yes the AirPods get 5 hours on a charge but the case they come in is also the charger. It holds a 24 hour charge - meaning when you are done your workout, etc. you put them back in the case and they are charged for the next use. Also, I believe the AirPods are using a new chip designed by Apple. It's their own "version" of Bluetooth. I have them preordered.

Also, I believe the reason they were delayed was a sync issue between each ear piece...being they aren't physically connected.
Looking forward to your impressions.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They're going to look goofy with those white sticks hanging out of your earhole.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:They're going to look goofy with those white sticks hanging out of your earhole.
Nah.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Third party leash?

If it keeps the individual pods together, so it's much harder to lose one of them, that would be very useful.

They need to offer other colors though and I prefer either in-ear or over the ear, not the in-between buds which you can't fit with different tips to get a tight seal for external noise.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Here's a review.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/1401 ... uds-review

I use these ones for my workouts and they do a fine job. You never really feel the cord as I have them behind my neck, and they stick to your ears. It should be around $99 in the States.

https://www.amazon.ca/Jaybird-Freedom-W ... _i=desktop

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:Third party leash?

If it keeps the individual pods together, so it's much harder to lose one of them, that would be very useful.

They need to offer other colors though and I prefer either in-ear or over the ear, not the in-between buds which you can't fit with different tips to get a tight seal for external noise.
I agree on different colors. What is so hard about offering more than white as a color? I'm actually from the other side...I like Apple's ear buds. Simple and they just rest in my ears. I hate the in the ear buds. They never really fit my ears...maybe it's my stupid ears! My Air Pods won't arrive until January 12th. If I see them at the Apple Store before then I'll grab them and cancel my online order.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Here's a review.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/1401 ... uds-review

I use these ones for my workouts and they do a fine job. You never really feel the cord as I have them behind my neck, and they stick to your ears. It should be around $99 in the States.

https://www.amazon.ca/Jaybird-Freedom-W ... _i=desktop
Thanks 10's. That Verge review confirmed the Airpods are not for me. I have exactly the same problem with other earphones falling out of my right ear.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I got my Air Pods today and I am very impressed. Keep in mind I am not an "audiophile" like some of you guys :). I usually use the stock Ear Pods Apple packs with their products.

So....the AirPods case is very cool. Its small...like the size an egg small. I love that it holds a 24 hour charge that re-juices your Air Pods when you store them. I guess I'll need to charge the case like once a week.

As advertised, as soon as you open the case your Apple product (iPhone, ipad, etc.) automatically "grabs" them. There is a magnet to hold the case shut and a very gratifying click occurs when you close the case :) Simple, easy connection. A pretty cool feature is all of your Apple products on the cloud actually are paired right away. I switched over to my ipad and there they were...already paired - very cool.

The sound is excellent in my opinion. Its definitely better than the wired EarPods I normally use. The base is definitely better and the overall sound is superb.

One of the worries most have about these is the fit - will they stay in your ears. I hate the rubber 'push' in your ear buds. They never seem to fit. That is why I use the stock EarPods. Well, the Airpods fit my ears great. I shook my head vigorously (yes I looked like a clown) and they didn't budge. I did actually buy a strap specifically made for the Air Pods to physically connect them. Link is below. Spigen makes it.

My overall initial impressions are great. I am extremely satisfied. Can't wait to use them in the gym tomorrow :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LV ... UTF8&psc=1
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

God iOS 10 is terrible with the idiotic implementation of airplay. If you rent or buy a video and want to play it through Apple TV you have to wait until the entire file downloads - you just can't start streaming and watching. And the two factor identification implementation is equally hideous. I pretty much swearing off buying any other Apple products - their software and hardware engineering has becomepiss poor.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Curious if any of you guys are still using your tablets? The last tablet I purchased was an iPad Air back in 2014 and they just don't seem to have the same appeal to me as they once did. And it seems to be not just me as iPad sales have declined the last couple of years and Android tablet releases are pretty rare with the exception of Amazon who sells them for under $49.

It appears tablets are being replaced by 2 in 1 hybrids like the Surface Pro and larger phones. I'm in the latter as my Nexus 6 can do more than my iPad.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Use my iPad everyday.

Have a 6S Plus and it's not the same as even the iPad mini for browsing or watching videos.

At the gym I use my iPad mini 2, tethered to my iPhone.

Also got an iPad Air 2 in 2015 on a Black Friday deal for one with cellular modem. Great for travel with prepaid data SIMs.

My iPad mini 2 is beat up and the screen is losing touch detection in some spots and registering false touches in other spots.

I may or may not replace it. I'm composing this post lying down in bed. The mini is definitely easier to use in bed, especially holding it with one hand above the head while flat on my back or on my side.

Supposedly there may be a iPad Pro with the smaller screen size introduced in the spring.

I have a 3-year old HP laptop with a touch screen and a 15 inch MacBook Pro. I don't use either very much. Nothing like my iPad. For desktop I use iMac with big screen, which I'm looking to replace with the 5k screen once they update in the spring.

I can see some people liking the Surface and other 2 in 1 devices. While they're flexible, I don't see them as good tablets as they're heavier and have fans, which can't be good for battery life. I understand people liking the ability to run desktop software. Certainly easier to pack just one 2 in 1 device for travel or putting it in a day pack than a big laptop and a tablet. I pack both for travel but only carry around iPad and iPhone when I'm out and about.

It's more of an expense but I like the tablet experience better on a lighter device and if I need to do something like editing photos, I want a big, sharp screen as well as storage and power.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I love my iPad Pro. I also have mini that I use at the gym while doing cardio. I love how all of my devices...iPhone, Pro and Mini...are connected. I have definitely considered the Surface Pro. I have an old desktop that I almost never use anymore. With the Scorpio coming out later this year having a Surface Pro and the Scorpio could be a great combo. From what I read the Scorpio is essentially a Windows 10 PC minus all the non gaming/non media stuff. I'll ride out the iPad for now and see how things play out later this year.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25