2007 NFL Playoffs thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

2007 NFL Playoffs thread

Post by ScoopBrady »

The playoffs are here so let's keep the playoff talk here. I'll make another thread for the offseason as well.

What are your playoff predictions?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

IND 33 KC 31

SEA 23 DAL 14

NYJ 20 NE 17

PHI 35 NYG 28

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

IND 31 KC 23

SEA 27 DAL 24

NE 24 NYJ 13

PHI 20 NYG 17

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Mini-Ditkas 73, NFC 2.

The NFC playoffs look pretty blah this week. I think the Cowboys are going to get smoked by Seattle. Eagles-Giants would be more interesting if the Giants didn't limp in, but it will be fun to watch them yelling at each other in the sidelines. Eagles should win it.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think the Chefs win at Indy. LJ will probably run wild, but KC is just not very good and I think Indy pulls out a close one. The Jets probably give the Pats a scare before Brady says enough is enough and gets the win.

I am tired of hearing how overrated the Bears are. The Duke of Sports Douchebaggery Peter King has them ranked 5th, two spots below the Saints, which is crap. They're both 3-1 against playoff teams, New Orleans has three more losses, and they have to play on the road if they win. Which they won't, because in the end they are the Saints. Eagles come in and snatch one from New Orleans in the upset special of the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Bears win an ugly, low scoring game against Seattle, letting Jones and Benson run 120 times and throwing 10 passes with Grossman, all screens. Sean Salisbury will also die from choking on his swollen tongue.

In the AFC divisionals, the actual most overrated team in the NFL, the Ravens, get bounced by the Colts (edit -- I screwed up the AFC seeding). You're not winning a playoff game with an AARP-eligible McNair and Jailbird Jamal as your 1-2 offensive punch. At least the Bears can run the ball. I think Manning can pull off this win with the offensive firepower he has.

The Pats then pull upset number 2 by beating San Diego as Schottenheimer runs only center-guard plunges all game. Rivers shows his inexperience as Belichick shows Marty how the big boys coach. Charger fans riot by throwing their flip flops on the field.

The Bears end the Eagles run at Soldier Field in another ugly game. Grossman continues to be serviceable as he is only allowed to throw after seeing his receivers give the semaphore sign for "all clear." I think the Bears D forces some turnovers and wins it despite letting Westbrook gain a lot of yards.

In the game that will make Bill Simmons completely erect, the Pats march into Indy and beat the Colts. Marooney and Dillon tag the Colts nonexistent rush defense as Brady cleans up. Manning's face gets permanently frozen in the Manning Face.

At the SB, the Pats exact revenge for the Super Bowl Shuffle by turning Grossman into Tony Eason and returning three picks for TDs before someone's nipple appears at halftime. Brady picks up his fourth ring and ends what has been the weirdest year of pro football since Barry Switzer won a championship.
Last edited by Brando70 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cootdog
Mario Mendoza

Post by cootdog »

KC 28 IND 24
NYJ 28 NE 21
SEA 21 DAL 17
PHI 28 NYG 21

Unless the broadcasters beat this into the ground, the Jets-Patriots game should be continually interesting from the perspective of master vs. apprentice. Whatever the outcome, I want Belicheck to don a Vader helmet for the post-game handshake.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I think the Colts must jump out to an early lead to beat the Chiefs, otherwise the Chiefs will probably piece together a few 8-minute drives and force the Colts' offense into playing a nearly perfect game. They managed to do that a few years ago in Kansas City, but the lack of an effective slot receiver has reduced their effectiveness.

Even with the 9-0 start I didnt' have much faith in this team's chances in the playoffs....unfortunately the last 7 games proved my skepticism was warranted.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I predict that New England, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Indianapolis will win this week. Overall, I think the Ravens will beat the Bears in the Super Bowl. I will be rooting for the Indy/KC winner, San Diego, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and the Jets in the playoffs.

I hate the Ravens, but a potential NE/BAL second round game is an incredible matchup that early. Both have titles this decade and are playing at a pretty high level. A possible SD/BAL matchup in the AFC Championship would also be very good.

I disagree with Brando about the Ravens, but I'm incredibly biased since they just put the biggest ass whooping the Steelers have seen from a division foe in 40 years (according to the combined score of the two games). The Ravens were a 4th and goal play away from shutting out the Steelers, who averaged 22 points a game, *twice*! McNair was amazing in the last game against the Steelers. As long as he's healthy they can beat anyone.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Winners this week :

Seattle
Philly
Indy
New England

If I were a betting man, I'd take Holmgren over the whole Chicago Bears coaching staff next week. Sort of deja vu considering how outcoached the bears were last year by the Panthers.

Chargers/Saints Superbowl.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I am going to go against my heart and say that the Cowboys beat the Seahawks. They just have not looked good this year, even with Alexander and Hassleback in there. The CBs are down to.....um.....pretty much no one. After 2 weeks of beatings, I can see the Cowboys coming back to take out their pent up frustrations on the 'hawks.

I also see the Colts, Pats, and Eagles winning this round.
-Matt

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I like the Giants +7 against Philadelphia, and both home teams to win and cover in the AFC.

The Hawks and Cowboys have both been too inconsistent for me to get any read at all on this one.

Over/under on Grossman INTs this weekend is 1.5 :)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Leebo33 wrote:I disagree with Brando about the Ravens, but I'm incredibly biased since they just put the biggest ass whooping the Steelers have seen from a division foe in 40 years (according to the combined score of the two games). The Ravens were a 4th and goal play away from shutting out the Steelers, who averaged 22 points a game, *twice*! McNair was amazing in the last game against the Steelers. As long as he's healthy they can beat anyone.
It's not that I don't think they're good, they definitely are, and that defense is the best in the league. But they are the worst rushing offense among the playoff teams, despite getting 1100 yards out of Lewis. They would definitely clean up in the NFC, but I think the other AFC contenders can beat them.

As for Holmgren's coaching capabilities, his team has been sorely lacking this year. Being swept by the Niners and losing to the Cardinals doesn't really scare anyone. That team is 9-7 for a lot of reasons other than injuries. But they will beat a sinking Dallas team.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

sfz_T-car wrote:I like the Giants +7 against Philadelphia, and both home teams to win and cover in the AFC.

The Hawks and Cowboys have both been too inconsistent for me to get any read at all on this one.

I personally guarantee that Grossman won't throw any INT's this weekend!
I am a patient boy.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

ScoopBrady wrote:
sfz_T-car wrote:I like the Giants +7 against Philadelphia, and both home teams to win and cover in the AFC.

I personally guarantee that Grossman won't throw any INT's this weekend!
Griese will still look better :)

Kissrox
Mario Mendoza

Post by Kissrox »

Pat 31-10
Chiefs 41-40
Philly 24-10
Dallas 31-17

Pats 17-3
Chargers 28-21
New Orleans 34-3
Bears 34-30

Pats 27-24 Adam who???? :?:
New Orleans 13-10

Pats win SB 44-3
Brady gets number 4.....
XBL GAMERTAG: Kissrox

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Indy, NE, Seattle and Philly win this weekend.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I'm going with Kansas City, New England, Seattle and Philadelphia.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

This guy is prognosticating the games by how good the centers are on each teams.

http://www.slate.com/id/2156923/?nav=tap3

Probably taking it a little extreme but hard to disagree with how important centers are. Usually centers from winning teams make the Pro Bowls.

More interesting is that the Money Ball guy has apparently written a book on football that concentrated on left tackles? That's not the kind of insight that he had in Money Ball where he noted Beane's emphasis on OBP because LTs are among the most highly-paid players outside of QBs so not exactly a secret.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

AFC:

Jets at Patriots: 17-13 Pats

Chiefs at Colts: 34-17 Colts

NFC:

Giants at Eagles: 24-17 Eagles

Cowboys at Seahawks: 20-17 Seahawks

You'd figure one road team would get a win but I couldn't pick one. If I had to go with a road team I guess I'd go with the Cowboys.
I am a patient boy.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Interesting about centers.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

KC 17 IND 42
NYJ 21 NE 24
SEA 35 DAL 7
PHI 42 NYG 0

suck on that..

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I go with Indy, NE, Philly and Dallas. I just don't like Seattle this year, but maybe I am wrong.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

NE will have a walk in the park with NYJ.

Garcia is HOT so I'll pick Philly.

The next two games are tight but I think Indy will squeeze by KC and SEA better show their true colors despite their injuries this year and beat TO's Cowboys by a TD.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Brando70 wrote:Mini-Ditkas 73, NFC 2.

The NFC playoffs look pretty blah this week. I think the Cowboys are going to get smoked by Seattle. Eagles-Giants would be more interesting if the Giants didn't limp in, but it will be fun to watch them yelling at each other in the sidelines. Eagles should win it.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think the Chefs win at Indy. LJ will probably run wild, but KC is just not very good and I think Indy pulls out a close one. The Jets probably give the Pats a scare before Brady says enough is enough and gets the win.

I am tired of hearing how overrated the Bears are. The Duke of Sports Douchebaggery Peter King has them ranked 5th, two spots below the Saints, which is crap. They're both 3-1 against playoff teams, New Orleans has three more losses, and they have to play on the road if they win. Which they won't, because in the end they are the Saints. Eagles come in and snatch one from New Orleans in the upset special of the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Bears win an ugly, low scoring game against Seattle, letting Jones and Benson run 120 times and throwing 10 passes with Grossman, all screens. Sean Salisbury will also die from choking on his swollen tongue.

In the AFC divisionals, the actual most overrated team in the NFL, the Ravens, get bounced by the Colts (edit -- I screwed up the AFC seeding). You're not winning a playoff game with an AARP-eligible McNair and Jailbird Jamal as your 1-2 offensive punch. At least the Bears can run the ball. I think Manning can pull off this win with the offensive firepower he has.

The Pats then pull upset number 2 by beating San Diego as Schottenheimer runs only center-guard plunges all game. Rivers shows his inexperience as Belichick shows Marty how the big boys coach. Charger fans riot by throwing their flip flops on the field.

The Bears end the Eagles run at Soldier Field in another ugly game. Grossman continues to be serviceable as he is only allowed to throw after seeing his receivers give the semaphore sign for "all clear." I think the Bears D forces some turnovers and wins it despite letting Westbrook gain a lot of yards.

In the game that will make Bill Simmons completely erect, the Pats march into Indy and beat the Colts. Marooney and Dillon tag the Colts nonexistent rush defense as Brady cleans up. Manning's face gets permanently frozen in the Manning Face.

At the SB, the Pats exact revenge for the Super Bowl Shuffle by turning Grossman into Tony Eason and returning three picks for TDs before someone's nipple appears at halftime. Brady picks up his fourth ring and ends what has been the weirdest year of pro football since Barry Switzer won a championship.
No offense but if I'm a Bears fan I'd definitely wouldn't be super confident. I don't mean that as a slight but they just haven't played at a high level in the 2nd half...and that is in a fairly weak NFC. I wouldn't be shocked if they got beat in their first game. Of course i wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the Super Bowl. I honestly feel the NFC title is up for grabs at this point. I'm just glad my Eagles are one of the teams with some momentum going in. Of course and early exit against the G-Men wouldn't shock me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Diablo25 wrote: No offense but if I'm a Bears fan I'd definitely wouldn't be super confident. I don't mean that as a slight but they just haven't played at a high level in the 2nd half...and that is in a fairly weak NFC. I wouldn't be shocked if they got beat in their first game. Of course i wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the Super Bowl. I honestly feel the NFC title is up for grabs at this point. I'm just glad my Eagles are one of the teams with some momentum going in. Of course and early exit against the G-Men wouldn't shock me.
Oh, I'm not super confident, and there certainly was a lot of tongue-in-cheek in that post. I do think they have a good chance to make it to the SB. I think the Bears have less problems than the rest of the NFC.
All those teams have twice as many losses or more than the Bears. Chicago was 11-1 in the NFC, losing only the meaningless finale. New Orleans got swept by the Panthers (with the second loss also in a meaningless game) and crapped their pants at home against the Redskins when they had a chance to clinch a bye. They're a great story but they have looked very beatable throughout the season. I think the Eagles will beat them.

The Eagles are definitely playing the best football of any NFC team right now. They have the most momentum. But they have a crappy run defense, as do the Saints and Seattle.

It will come down to turnovers. That's the most important stat in playoff games. I think Grossman can minimize his and get some help from a Bears D that can still force a lot of mistakes.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I guess the Colts completely transformed into the 2000 Ravens after the regular season for at least a half.

No first down for the Chiefs, no TDs for the Colts. Awesome.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven