OT: NFL 2006 Season Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: NFL 2006 Season Discussion

Post by dbdynsty25 »

In honor of the first Monday Night Football game, we'll start the NFL 2006 season thread. Dig in.

In terms of the broadcast, it seems pretty good. I'm not a fan of the "overlay" in the middle of the screen though...I'd much rather see it in a corner somewhere. It's pretty small though so that's a plus. The HD looks pretty good...I'm not sure if it's as good as ABC's telecast though (even though they probably use the same equipment).

BTW...the Minnesota Vikings have taken over for the Buffalo Bills in the "most like an Arena Football team Uniform" division. Ugliest unis in the NFL.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

totally agree on the bug....

trying for old school look?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The telecast sucked. They need to get rid of Tony Kornheiser. I think I'm the only football fan who doesn't mind Joe Theisman but Kornheiser has got to go. If they keep him they need to at least get rid of that stupid Tony song they kept playing when they were reading the questions for Tony. Am I the only sports fan in America who doesn't get why Kornheiser is popular?
Last edited by ScoopBrady on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

I thought Kornheiser was fine, though he definitely needs some time to get used to the timing of a game broadcast. If he can needle Theisman all season for the assinine things he says, I'll be a happy man.

One side note is that it appears Chad Greenway (1st round linebacker for Vikings) tore his ACL and should miss the season.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

I watched my first preseason game in about four years Saturday and man was it horrendous. I mean it was downright awful... watching Parcells stomp on the sidelines of a meaningless game was unbearable. I honestly think I would have gotten more entertainment (and the coaches would have probably gotten more useful data) from watching a CPU game of Madden. Maybe this is just bitterness from Jerry forcing us to buy the worthless things in the season ticket package.
Anyways, good timing on starting the thread, I'll be back in a few weeks...
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

ScoopBrady wrote:The telecast sucked. They need to get rid of Tony Kornheiser. I think I'm the only football fan who doesn't mind Joe Theisman but Kornheiser has got to go. If they keep him they need to at least get rid of that stupid Tony song they kept playing when they were reading the questions for Tony. Am I the only sports gan in America who doesn't get why Kornheiser is popular?
Scoop, my brother you and I just can't agree on anything lately :)

I watched the first half this a.m., and although I didn't care for the song, I really love Kornheiser and was happy to see him do well.

Theisman is a _great_ football brain trapped behind a wall of ego and mouth that is simply insufferable. The nice thing about Kornheiser is that he can deflate that ego a lot.

I can't speak for everyone, but the thing that makes Kornheiser appealing to me is that he has the proper perspective on sports (ie, they're essentially meaningless nonsense) but yet loves them like a fan. I don't know too many other sportswriters with a tenure like his who aren't either cynical, thoughtless, bile-hurlers or cepia-tinged archivists whining about yesteryear.

Plus he's got the whole penguin dance going for him. :)

I think this partnership can work well. You have Theisman, for whom every play is apparently life and death itself; He sees every dropped pass the end of the world. And you have Kornheiser, who knows that he's on TV, talking about a game to a bunch of schmoes sitting on their couches.

It's a nice blend of pedant and prankster.

And hey, it beats the 12 hour Joe Buck extraveganza that Fox is going with :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I didn't like the Vikings uniforms. Stripes down the sides of the jerseys just don't do it for me.

I like Kornheiser, but I just won't watch a game because I like the announcer. The game has to draw me in. After about 20 minutes I switched and watched some baseball

Rick

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pre-season is sooooooooooooo boring.

it is kinda cool to see some of the QBs...but other than that...u just pray that the starters get in and out w/o getting hurt.

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

I like the way Korhieser pulls Thiesmans lips off of every players ass.

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

Kazuya wrote:I watched my first preseason game in about four years Saturday and man was it horrendous. I mean it was downright awful... watching Parcells stomp on the sidelines of a meaningless game was unbearable. I honestly think I would have gotten more entertainment (and the coaches would have probably gotten more useful data) from watching a CPU game of Madden. Maybe this is just bitterness from Jerry forcing us to buy the worthless things in the season ticket package.
Anyways, good timing on starting the thread, I'll be back in a few weeks...
I loved it! First time to see my Boys since December, I was all sucked in! I enjoy watching the young guys grow up.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I couldn't stand the whole "Ask Tony" crap. The broadcast was less about the game, even though it was largely a forgettable preseason one, and more about the "other stuff". Sideline reporters with their long-winded sideline essays that run through live action in a picture-in-picture window is ridiculous. I want to see the game, not see how somebody feels at that point in time. Save that crap for a halftime show. Having it run through an entire SERIES of live gameplay is ridiculous. And if I had to look at the broadcast booth trio one more time last night, I was about to just turn on the radio instead. Absurd.

I hated their broadcast.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

TCrouch wrote:I couldn't stand the whole "Ask Tony" crap. The broadcast was less about the game, even though it was largely a forgettable preseason one, and more about the "other stuff". Sideline reporters with their long-winded sideline essays that run through live action in a picture-in-picture window is ridiculous. I want to see the game, not see how somebody feels at that point in time. Save that crap for a halftime show. Having it run through an entire SERIES of live gameplay is ridiculous. And if I had to look at the broadcast booth trio one more time last night, I was about to just turn on the radio instead. Absurd.

I hated their broadcast.
Exactly. I felt like the broadcast was the event, not the football game.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

ScoopBrady wrote:The telecast sucked. They need to get rid of Tony Kornheiser. I think I'm the only football fan who doesn't mind Joe Theisman but Kornheiser has got to go. If they keep him they need to at least get rid of that stupid Tony song they kept playing when they were reading the questions for Tony. Am I the only sports fan in America who doesn't get why Kornheiser is popular?
Living in the Was/Bal market, we knew of TK long before PTL and enjoy his perspective on sports and athletes. His song will not be loved by many but to have him there to balance out JT will be a blessing in diguise.
gamertag: ddtrane65

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Missed it. Isn't Sunday Night suppose to be more of a showcase now?

Anyways, it seems in just the last few years, exhibition games are featured more, with these national networks making a big to-do.

But Portis doesn't like them, even though first-stringers play one or two series in the first week or two.

Owners talk occasionally about increasing the regular season to 18 games. Players hate that idea because it's a game of attrition by the end of the season.

Maybe NFL will try to increase to command more TV rights money in the next contract.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

laurenskye wrote:I like the way Korhieser pulls Thiesmans lips off of every players ass.
:lol: ....great observation...I was thinking the same thing.

Im ready for some football already...I like watching the White Sox but there is nothing like the way I yell at My TV after every Rams play...

Rainey
Mario Mendoza

Post by Rainey »

Pre-season games are essentially scrimmages. They are entertaining to watch toward the end because you see guys going all out (even more so than the regular season) trying to make the team. I think the starters are actually in the game to get a small look at "game speed" so they will be more prepared as the pre-season goes on and hopefully be almost 90 to 100% ready for the first game. Getting hurt in a pre-season game is always a downer, but who is to say that same thing wouldn't have happened at the next practice?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

TO fined for missing a meeting and being late for another one. No pre-season game yet, what is he up to now?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It's the media's fault!

In other news, the Vikings continue to chase the Bengals for off-field issues--one of their safeties, Dwight Smith, was busted for indecent conduct in downtown Minneapolis when he was caught in a stairwell with a lady.

And I'm a Colts fan, but this Manning vs. Manning stuff is going to drive me crazy before the Sept. 10 Sunday night opener.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Funny moment during the Vikings-Cowboys game. The Cowboys scored a very late TD to make it a 10-9 game. Despite the fact that it is a preseason game, they kicked the extra point to send the game to OT.

At the coin flip, the ref tells the visiting (MN) captain to call it. Brad Johnson starts with "should have gone for two" before making the call.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

Can somebody please explain what the hell the Liquored Up Kicker is doing out there???
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Can somebody please explain what the hell the Liquored Up Kicker is doing out there???
Giving me awful flashbacks to last year's playoffs.

At least there's a star on his helmet instead of a horeshoe this time.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Isn't it Liquored up Idiot Kicker?

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

Kazuya wrote:Can somebody please explain what the hell the Liquored Up Kicker is doing out there???
Shanking kicks as usual. Shanks for nothin'.
gamertag: ddtrane65

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I was very happy to see that the Steelers signed cornerback Ike Taylor today to a 5 year contract. Since they signed Willie Parker earlier this week, I believe the only potential free agent next year of any significance is Max Starks who will be a restricted FA. Almost the entire team is signed for the next 2-4 years.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's gonna be fun on Thursday Leebo...you think Hines is gonna suit up?