OT - Flight 93, who is seeing it?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT - Flight 93, who is seeing it?

Post by webdanzer »

Flight 93 is opening this weekend to good reviews.

I went to see Inside Man (good flick) and was blindsided by the trailer...as was the rest of the theater. Pre-movie chatter died down to absolute silence as people realized what they were seeing. Theater-going is an escapist pleasure for most, and boom, there was cold reality. After the trailer ended, the chatter was universal:

Do people really want to see a movie about this?

Is it too soon?

Thoughts?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I have seen so many documentaries on 9/11 and flight 93, I really dont have a desire to see this right now, but that might change.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No desire whatsoever. Movies are an escape for me. We know what happened on that day.

I won't see this for the same reasons I didn't see "The Passion of the Christ." Hollywood always takes reality and stretches it to ridiculous proportions with embellishment deluxe. This isn't a respectful documentary -- it's a Hollywood movie. There is a big difference, regardless of whether the victims' families have approved of the movie or not.

I know the people on Flight 93 died as heroes, saving D.C. from further attack. That's all I need to know.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Netflix

I prefer to avoid the theaters and give the MPAA as little of my money as possible... plus its too damn soon.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This <i>Washington Post</i> report confirms my fears about "United 93." The movie includes invented details, the backbone of any Hollywood movie based on a real-life event:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12521202/

Now, I know that invented details are essential to the movie since very little is known of the actual details of what happened onboard that fated flight. But I'm just uneasy with this movie being depicted or interpreted as a realistic account of what happened when that's not clearly the case.

So "United 93" basically boils down to "info-tainment light." And I think 9/11 deserves better, more respectful, more thorough treatment than that.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

I'll see it on dvd. It takes a really good movie to get me into the theaters these days and this one doesn't fit that catagory.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Same here, Bad. I think I've been to two or three movies in the theater in the last five years. Overpriced and unfulfilling, for the most part. Plus I can't stand the disrespectful f*cks who talk or take cell phone calls during the entire film.

Take care,
PK

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Yeah, I hate going to the theatre. I don't mind the previews and commercials before the scheduled start time, but I quit going when they started making me sit for 10-15 minutes after the start time prior to the start of the movie. The only time I go is for the LOTR/Star Wars-type movies. Even then we go at the times when we think nobody will be there so we can still get good seats while arriving about 5 minutes after the scheduled start.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

So "United 93" basically boils down to "info-tainment light." And I think 9/11 deserves better, more respectful, more thorough treatment than that.
I would hold off on such severe judgement until you see the film or at least read up on the directors background. Knowing this director i would expect it to be very respectful and as accurate as you can get. Now i'm not saying that that doesn't make it too early for a film like this or that i even want to see it at all, but i think it deserves a more serious look than just labeling it "info-tainment light".

Even if you don't see this movie i would highly recomend you rent Bloody Sunday. It's this directors other documentary style drama about, what else, Bloody Sunday in Ireland. Every effort was made to essentially reenact the events that took place that day exactly as they happened. From what i've read United 93 is shot in the same way with the same attention to detail.

Of course it could still be way too early, and as the L.A. Times put it, it might just be "too real", but i would not call it "light".
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

That's kind of why I dont have a desire to see it. The only people that really know what happened on that day were the people on that plane.
Everything else is second hand or speculation.
pk500 wrote: Hollywood always takes reality and stretches it to ridiculous proportions with embellishment deluxe. This isn't a respectful documentary -- it's a Hollywood movie.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

King:

The difference is, we know what happened on Bloody Sunday. There were eyewitnesses and people who lived through it.

All the eyewitnesses to what actually happened on United Flight 93 are dead, so the embellishment will be much more rampant despite the director's best intentions.

Big difference, in my eyes.

Take care,
PK

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

pk500 wrote:King:

The difference is, we know what happened on Bloody Sunday. There were eyewitnesses and people who lived through it.

All the eyewitnesses to what actually happened on United Flight 93 are dead, so the embellishment will be much more rampant despite the director's best intentions.

Big difference, in my eyes.

Take care,
PK
True but we do have cell phone calls and the flight recorders. All i'm saying is that i doubt the director is going to make it over the top or unrealistic in any way. Everything i've read so far has said that it has a very real feel to it, and it time it can be hard to watch because of that. I guess i don't like the term "hollywood" thrown around at every movie. There are too many directors, writers, whoever who make crap movies that embellish real life and even fictional events to the point to nauseum. But there are those people out there who do have integrity and i think Greengrass is one of those directors. I'm still not going to see the movie :lol: , but i respect his work even if i don't completely agree with it, if that makes sense.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

i will most likely see it.. for sure there will be liberties taken in the production of the movie, because except for the cell phone calls, no one knows what exactly happened in the plane.. for some reason, 9/11 has been some sort of perverted "interest" of mine - i have several videos, tapes, etc on the subject.. i want to have something to show my kids one day what happened besides reading it in a text book... i also may go to see the Oliver Stone pic when he releases it too (about firemen in the WTC that day)..

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:No desire whatsoever. Movies are an escape for me. We know what happened on that day.

I won't see this for the same reasons I didn't see "The Passion of the Christ." Hollywood always takes reality and stretches it to ridiculous proportions with embellishment deluxe. This isn't a respectful documentary -- it's a Hollywood movie. There is a big difference, regardless of whether the victims' families have approved of the movie or not.

I know the people on Flight 93 died as heroes, saving D.C. from further attack. That's all I need to know.

Take care,
PK
Well said my man PK, agreed.

I'm not watching this tearjerker that I'm sure Hollywood embellished a bit. I know what I know and that is enough for me.

PK, sidenote, I too did not watch passion for same said reasons, great minds think alike. :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Boltman wrote:
pk500 wrote: I won't see this for the same reasons I didn't see "The Passion of the Christ." Hollywood always takes reality and stretches it to ridiculous proportions with embellishment deluxe. K

PK, sidenote, I too did not watch passion for same said reasons, great minds think alike. :D
This is why I skipped Titanic and Pearl Harbor....I saw Cinderella man and the portrayal of Max Baer SR bordered on criminal.

Many would say the Passion of the Christ is not reality but more of an exercise in faith...BTW...Saw it and its a pretty good stand alone film. Religion and agenda driven rhetoric aside....

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's a shame for the victims of the families that they went ahead with the movie just less than 5 years after 9/11. Lets see, who would want to watch a sad event that changed the World forever with overpriced popcorn prices and sodas without gas?

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

10spro wrote:It's a shame for the victims of the families that they went ahead with the movie just less than 5 years after 9/11. Lets see, who would want to watch a sad event that changed the World forever with overpriced popcorn prices and sodas without gas?
Stop it! I read that, and add my feeling on it already, it gets me more than stirred up.

I already change the channel as it is whenever the commercial pops.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

How is it a shame when all 40 families supported this film? This is no Oliver Stone remake using Hollywood as it's voice (which we will see in a few months). This is the use of documented recordings retelling a story of some of the bravest heroes this country has ever seen (on our own soil--the men and women fighting overseas not withstanding).

Man, i gotta tell you. These repsonses have me baffled. I lost friends in NY and had a high school friend of mine on one of the planes, and i can't wait to pay tribute to these people by going. I'm not going to watch a movie. I'm going because as an American i'm so proud of these people in doing something i'm not sure 90% of us in this world would have had the stones to do. Save the lives of others simply for the sake of doing so. They knew they were dead either way. But they believed in this country enough to say 'fu*k you people, this is our home and it is our duty to protect it, even at this moment. And we're not letting you take any more Americans with you."

I don't flip the channel when i see movies about Pearly Harbor, and i won't turn my back because of where this movie was made.

If it's good enough for the families who live with this every day, then it sure is hell is good enough for me.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RallyMonkey wrote:How is it a shame when all 40 families supported this film? This is no Oliver Stone remake using Hollywood as it's voice (which we will see in a few months). This is the use of documented recordings retelling a story of some of the bravest heroes this country has ever seen (on our own soil--the men and women fighting overseas not withstanding).

If it's good enough for the families who live with this every day, then it sure is hell is good enough for me.
Very good points...

JackDiggity
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by JackDiggity »

RallyMonkey wrote:How is it a shame when all 40 families supported this film? This is no Oliver Stone remake using Hollywood as it's voice (which we will see in a few months). This is the use of documented recordings retelling a story of some of the bravest heroes this country has ever seen (on our own soil--the men and women fighting overseas not withstanding).

Man, i gotta tell you. These repsonses have me baffled. I lost friends in NY and had a high school friend of mine on one of the planes, and i can't wait to pay tribute to these people by going. I'm not going to watch a movie. I'm going because as an American i'm so proud of these people in doing something i'm not sure 90% of us in this world would have had the stones to do. Save the lives of others simply for the sake of doing so. They knew they were dead either way. But they believed in this country enough to say 'fu*k you people, this is our home and it is our duty to protect it, even at this moment. And we're not letting you take any more Americans with you."

I don't flip the channel when i see movies about Pearly Harbor, and i won't turn my back because of where this movie was made.

You nailed the way I feel about it. That day has changed my life forever. I don't go to movies very much,but I will go see this film.
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being." Jackie Robinson

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

JackDiggity wrote:

You nailed the way I feel about it. That day has changed my life forever. I don't go to movies very much,but I will go see this film.

Ditto...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Is any of the money going to support the families of the heroes?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I'm seeing it next week.
The movie is rated R wich was very suprising to me.

Movies aren't rated R for bad language only so it seems like it could be a very graphic film,

I hope they made it with the outmost respect to the families of the heroes that died that day.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Awesome response Rally. I agree whole heartedly.

From what I have heard, the movie is shot in "real time" and cloesly resembles a documentary. Some of the individuals in the film were really part of the true event (i.e. air traffic controllers, etc.).

Each of the actors who portray the passengers met with the individual family to get a better sense of who they were. In turn, the director determined from the personalities, how they would act in a circumstance as catastrophic as this.

I will definitely see it, but not in the movie theater. I agree that movies are an escape and a form of entertainment. I have to be in the right mindset to view this film. Not to be surrounded by others munching on their popcorn, slurping their drinks, running to the restroom, etc.

The last movie I saw that moved me to tears in a theater setting was Schindler's List. I wish I had watched that in the comfort of my home.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I'm seeing it next week.
The movie is rated R wich was very suprising to me.

Movies aren't rated R for bad language only so it seems like it could be a very graphic film,

I hope they made it with the outmost respect to the families of the heroes that died that day.
It's rated R for its violence and language. Personally, I wouldn't want to be sitting next to a group of teenage kids.

By the way, the wife and I went and saw Lucky Number Slevin a couple weeks back. The couple in front of us brought their 10 year old daughter. I was taken back because the first 20 minutes of the movie was quite violent and graphic.