OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Anyone following Neil Young and his pono? I really like what im hearing and very interested in it so far. Seems like it is going to be a little pricey 399 i think it will be, interesting to see which artists will release their stuff for it.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Anyone following Neil Young and his pono? I really like what im hearing and very interested in it so far. Seems like it is going to be a little pricey 399 i think it will be, interesting to see which artists will release their stuff for it.
I do like that someone is addressing the fidelity issue of mobile music, but I read a pretty detailed article about why 24-bit/192khz is total overkill for digital music.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

New war on drugs album is pretty great. Can't wait to see real estate live this weekend and war on drugs only a couple weeks after!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:New war on drugs album is pretty great. Can't wait to see real estate live this weekend and war on drugs only a couple weeks after!
That's a hell of a nice musical run. Enjoy it!

I'm seeing Robert Randolph and the Family Band live tonight in Syracuse and then driving to Ithaca in two weeks to see The Hold Steady. Can't wait.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

pk500 wrote:
fanatic wrote:New war on drugs album is pretty great. Can't wait to see real estate live this weekend and war on drugs only a couple weeks after!
That's a hell of a nice musical run. Enjoy it!

I'm seeing Robert Randolph and the Family Band live tonight in Syracuse and then driving to Ithaca in two weeks to see The Hold Steady. Can't wait.
Nice!

I forgot to mention my love for the new Steve Malkamus & The Jicks album - I saw them live the night before Canada won hockey gold (see how I managed to sneak that in here?) and they were far better than previous times I've seen them. Perhaps it was because of the small venue, but the show absolutely rocked, with Malkamus being his usual awesome self.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Brando70 wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:Anyone following Neil Young and his pono? I really like what im hearing and very interested in it so far. Seems like it is going to be a little pricey 399 i think it will be, interesting to see which artists will release their stuff for it.
I do like that someone is addressing the fidelity issue of mobile music, but I read a pretty detailed article about why 24-bit/192khz is total overkill for digital music.

You did say detailed!! :lol: he lost me at the first graph geez.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Brando70 wrote:

You did say detailed!! :lol: he lost me at the first graph geez.
Ha, yes, a fair amount of the technical stuff went over my head. But I got the gist of what he was saying when 192khz files will not only take up a lot of space with no real audio benefit, but may actually interfere with audio quality.

That's not to say the Pono won't sound great, but people talking about the improved clarity of 24-bit/192khz will be a bit like people talking about the improved signal of expensive HDMI cables.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Saw The Hold Steady last night for the first time at The Haunt, a tiny club in Ithaca, N.Y. WHAT A F*CKING ROCK SHOW.

Sample video from my phone and my vantage point. It feels like I have paper towels stuffed in both ears today, even after wearing plugs at the show! GREAT night. Even better band.

Last edited by pk500 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

That's awesome, PK. Looks like you had a great view of the show.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:That's awesome, PK. Looks like you had a great view of the show.
Hell, yes. Six feet from stage the entire show. This band RIPS live.

P.S.: What's up with the YouTube embed function? I tried three different versions of the URL of my video, and none worked! Operator error?

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

I know on another forum they had trouble embedding videos that started https. Maybe try changing it to http? That worked on the other forum.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fatheadX wrote:I know on another forum they had trouble embedding videos that started https. Maybe try changing it to http? That worked on the other forum.
Bingo, dude. THANKS!

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Good video, by the way. I've checked three times over the past two weeks to see when they were coming to Denver but no dice yet. I will be there when they do.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Here and Nowhere Else by Cloud Nothings has been on heavy repeat for me this past week. Raw 90s college rock that's got some catchy songs underneath the distortion pedals. Even when they slow down they don't stay that way for long. Their wonderfully frantic drummer also helps kick the songs up a notch.

Kudos to others who recommended that War on Drugs album, too, I really like it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Cloud Nothings are playing a gig about an hour from here in Syracuse this Friday. I would go, but I have band practice! :) I dig this band, too.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I know we've got a few classic metal fans on here, so I'll let you guys know the new Judas Priest record, Redeemer of Souls, is the best thing they've done in 30 years. A consistently good, incredibly fun, metal album.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Rest in peace, Charlie Haden and Tommy Ramone. Thanks.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

EZSnappin wrote:Rest in peace, Charlie Haden and Tommy Ramone. Thanks.
Jeezus, what a rough day!

I was playing around with my collection tonight trying to figure out how many tracks I have with Haden on them. I failed in this endeavor, but ended up listening to a couple hours worth of sublime stuff.

Embodied my favorite characteristic of the real giants of jazz in that he was able to play out as well as melodically and make them both swing the way they ought to.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RIP Johnny Winter.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:RIP Johnny Winter.
So sad. Known for shredding and over the top boogie, for me he's one of the few guys to ever really pick up the torch from Lightnin' Hopkins. A straight line descendant from Blind Lemon Jefferson who, in that great tradition, treated chord changes as a matter of personal choice.

I always loved this performance, where it's just straight Texas boogie and then shifts into a righteous Delta drone when he whips out the slide. Groove just flows out of the guy.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spoon's new album is fantastic. Will be released next week.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I know I haven't been around much - my gaming of late consists of the odd evening of Borderlands 2 - but if you liked the "New Wave" melding of power pop, punk and AOR in the late 70s and early 80s then please check out the Ex Hex debut, Rips. Now streaming at NPR. Nothing ironic in their love of that music; this is a celebration of rock as pop music. Reminds me some of the first Cars record.

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/28/350589315 ... x-hex-rips

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Not new music by any means but wanted to get some opinions here...

For any Metallica fans at DSP:

What is your opinion on 'St. Anger'?

I grew up a Metallica fan. Got into them shortly before Master of Puppets was released. Then after 1990 or so I didn't really pay much attention to them anymore. Didn't care for much of anything from the Black Album and after. Then one day I was strolling through Best Buy and saw a display for St. Anger. I decided to buy the CD on a whim and was blown away at first listen. I was so excited that this band had switched gears absolutely loved the raw power that this album had. I immediately gravitated toward the low fidelity production which gave the music a sense of aggression unfelt from Metallica since Kill 'Em All. I also greatly appreciated the omission of guitar solos. I, personally, was over the idea of "shredding" that had become so commonplace in metal music (I also never thought much of Kirk Hamlett as a soloist - talented but lacked a sense of melody or memorable lines).

I listened to St. Anger over and over for the next several weeks and continued to be pleased with what I perceived as a sound that harkened back to their roots. Color me SHOCKED when I started to see the TON of backlash and downright malicious reviews online soon thereafter. Surprisingly not from actually music critics (which I generally can't stand), but from real "fans". I has just assumed that most everyone felt the way I did about this album. That it would be praised on high for being such a balls to the wall, welcome change indirection. I felt like it was the type of album that everyone waits for from their favorite band that strayed for a while and then comes back with exactly what you would want. New but different, and really good rather than some half-assed attempt at recreating an older, signature album (see Death Magnetic).

Anyway - I was reminded of all this again recently when I purchased the newly released vinyl version from Metallica's own 'Black' label. I hadn't listened to the album much over the past several years and was immediately taken back to the same feeling of excitement and aggression when I listened. I decided to search online and see if any of the initial impressions had changed over the years about this record and was really surprised that it had basically just gotten worse.

Would love to hear DSP members thoughts on this album if you have any...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Metallica was my favorite band growing up. I was very frustrated by Load and Reload. When St. Anger came out I dug it. It was nice to hear some of that crunch back and I didn't mind the lack of solos. I definitely felt it was their best effort since the Black album. I could look past the tinny sound of the drums but I have to say I did like Death Magnetic better. Either way I definitely view their last two albums better than the Load/Reload albums.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

This thread is my favorite place on DS - found a lot of great music here. Thanks! My wife has XM in her car and listening to Outlaw Country has helped me discover and rediscover a lot of good music. I know I am late to the game but I have been listening to Jason Isbell almost non stop this month. Along with all his studio music, there are some great concert releases out there - both by labels and bootleg (there is a great concert at Mercy Lounge in Nashville I found out there somewhere which is really good). I saw him with John Prine in November and it was a great show. Isbell and the 400 Unit are really tight in concert. He does a good mix of old DBT stuff along with his new stuff and always seems to do different cover song every time he plays.

I have also discovered Sturgill Simpson through Outlaw Country. I just picked up Metamodern Sounds in Country Music which is a great album. His voice reminds a lot of people of Waylon Jennings, but his music shows a lot of different influences and has a great sound. Another great Kentucky outlaw country singer is Chris Knight. A playlist with Knight, Simpson, Isbell and DBT makes for a great soundtrack for a show like Justified.