OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by EZSnappin »

He underrates my favorite Bruce record (The Wild, The Innocent), but I'm with Rob in that it's a pleasure to read.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

That was a great piece, and I'm one of those people who respects Springsteen much more than I like his music.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

In very much not new music related news: Today is the 30th Anniversary of the release of 1984 by Van Halen.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put a bullet in my very, very old head.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

RobVarak wrote:In very much not new music related news: Today is the 30th Anniversary of the release of 1984 by Van Halen.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put a bullet in my very, very old head.
That was the very first album that I purchased on cassette, was 13 years old when I bought it and can still remember that day like it was yesterday and the wtf look my mother gave me when she saw the baby with the cigarettes on the cover.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I was 10 when this came out but this was definitely not my first cassette. I haas quite the catalog of vinyl and cassettes by that age (Stones, Who, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Maiden, etc...). I remember hounding my mom to take me to the mall so I could get it on release day. I remember thinking it was good but I wasn't as into it as I thought I'd be. I was a BIG fan of Diver Down at that time and for some reason I recall side 2 of 1984 feeling a bit bland and boring.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

That album was front loaded on both sides. "Jump" and "Panama" on side one, "Hot for Teacher" and "I'll Wait" on side two. I kind of liked "Top Jimmy" but the rest was pretty blah.

My worst WTF old music milestone was realizing in 2012 that Appetite for Destruction was 25 years old. That really messed with my head.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Guys, brace yourselves now for the saddest nostalgia wank ever this April for the 20th anniversary of Cobain's suicide. I'm debating logging off the net from March till May.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

EZSnappin wrote:Guys, brace yourselves now for the saddest nostalgia wank ever this April for the 20th anniversary of Cobain's suicide. I'm debating logging off the net from March till May.
It will be awful, but I was pretty shocked and saddened when it happened. I really liked the progression of Nevermind to In Utero -- "Serve the Servants" is one of the best songs of the 90s IMHO. I would have liked to see where Cobain would have gone from there.

I seem to recall Kurt Loder nearly crying on the air and really dumb people cutting things like "KURT" into their arms.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

A couple of recent releases:

Dum Dum Girls, Too True - comparable to their earlier grooving stuff

Lone Justice, This is Lone Justice: The Vaught Tapes 1983 - OK, not really new coming 30 years+ since the recordings, but as a new release it made me nostalgic for the 80s. The collection of songs I hadn't heard before hold up today.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:
EZSnappin wrote:Guys, brace yourselves now for the saddest nostalgia wank ever this April for the 20th anniversary of Cobain's suicide. I'm debating logging off the net from March till May.
It will be awful, but I was pretty shocked and saddened when it happened. I really liked the progression of Nevermind to In Utero -- "Serve the Servants" is one of the best songs of the 90s IMHO. I would have liked to see where Cobain would have gone from there.

I seem to recall Kurt Loder nearly crying on the air and really dumb people cutting things like "KURT" into their arms.
Agree with you on "Serve the Servants." GREAT tune.

But the marytrdom of Cobain only burnished the overstated impact of Nirvana. Fine band, but the comparisons to The Beatles and the placement of Cobain on rock's Mount Rushmore next to John Lennon were ridiculous.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Here's a link to a video of some "old" music??? that I'm enjoying at the moment. I think it's sublime, but my daughter prefers new music, i.e., One Direction doing covers of Blondie...Hmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uLrbodN-9A

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I've become very fond of the new Neneh Cherry record, Blank Project. It took some time to open up to me, but the more I listen the more I like it.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

EZSnappin wrote:I've become very fond of the new Neneh Cherry record, Blank Project. It took some time to open up to me, but the more I listen the more I like it.
There's an excellent review of that record at Pop Matters. You should check it out. ;)

http://www.popmatters.com/review/179145 ... k-project/
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

RobVarak wrote:
EZSnappin wrote:I've become very fond of the new Neneh Cherry record, Blank Project. It took some time to open up to me, but the more I listen the more I like it.
There's an excellent review of that record at Pop Matters. You should check it out. ;)

http://www.popmatters.com/review/179145 ... k-project/
Where's the smiley for sticking my tongue out at you?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Beck's new album, "Morning Phase," is excellent. Yeah, it visits many areas already treaded by "Sea Change." Might even be "Sea Change II." But it's still an excellent, mellow listen. Sort of a stark version of Laurel Canyon, in a way.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Just listened to this for the first time today. Liked it, even though I'm not peripherally familiar with Cherry's work. There seems to be an underlying tension to all of the songs that's hard to pinpoint. It doesn't slam you over the head; it just slowly squeezes you tighter with every track.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

http://karoshiboy.bandcamp.com/

The lad is getting ready to self release a new album. Heres a teaser they have a small label interested in releasing it maybe later in the year.
Hes not in that metal band anymore this is a lot easier listening.
Check it out 8)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Great stuff! Scores a hat trick for his dad one day and then records an album the next.

Sounds pretty damn good Jimmy!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very much digging the new album by Real Estate, "Atlas." Reminds me off the offspring of a one-night stand between early R.E.M. and a dream pop band, with good lyrics.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

pk500 wrote:Very much digging the new album by Real Estate, "Atlas." Reminds me off the offspring of a one-night stand between early R.E.M. and a dream pop band, with good lyrics.
I really liked their last album "Days". Forgot they had a new one coming out, will have to give it a listen thanks.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Streaming the new album by The Hold Steady this morning on iTunes. Straight-forward rock, not as many ballads. It's a Hold Steady album -- smart, lots of power chords, somewhat anthemic. I'm digging it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If there are any hip hop fans, the new Schoolboy Q album "Oxymoron" is absolute fire. I've been playing it nearly non-stop for the two weeks it's been out and each time I find more to like about it. Between him and Pusha T's most recent album "My Name is my Name", as well as Kendrick...there are a lot of new guys on the block that really put a beat down on the mainstream rap stuff from the likes of Jay Z and Kanye. The three previously mentioned albums absolutely destroy J and Kanye's latest.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

War on Drugs. Awesome. The 80's Don Henley-vibe is alive & well...
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:War on Drugs. Awesome. The 80's Don Henley-vibe is alive & well...
Yep. Excellent record.