OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by greggsand »

Here's my top 10 albums for 2014:

10. Stars - No One is Lost
9. Gerard Way - Hesitant Alien
8. Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams
7. Foxygen - ...And Star Power
6. Spoon - They Want My Soul
5.Taylor Swift - 1989
4. Ariel Pink - Pom Pom
3. Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
2. Mac Demarco - Salad Days
1. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

For me, no particular order

Lone Justice - This is Lone Justice: The Vaught Tapes
Luluc - Passerby
Eagulls - Eagulls
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Shovels & Rope - Swimmin' Time
Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens - Cold World
Comet Gain - Paperback Ghosts
Johnny Cash - Out Among the Stars
Dum Dum Girls - Too True
J Mascis - Tied to a Star
Robyn Hitchcock - The Man Upstairs
Kat Edmonson - The Big Picture

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

kevinpars wrote:This thread is my favorite place on DS - found a lot of great music here. Thanks! My wife has XM in her car and listening to Outlaw Country has helped me discover and rediscover a lot of good music. I know I am late to the game but I have been listening to Jason Isbell almost non stop this month. Along with all his studio music, there are some great concert releases out there - both by labels and bootleg (there is a great concert at Mercy Lounge in Nashville I found out there somewhere which is really good). I saw him with John Prine in November and it was a great show. Isbell and the 400 Unit are really tight in concert. He does a good mix of old DBT stuff along with his new stuff and always seems to do different cover song every time he plays.

I have also discovered Sturgill Simpson through Outlaw Country. I just picked up Metamodern Sounds in Country Music which is a great album. His voice reminds a lot of people of Waylon Jennings, but his music shows a lot of different influences and has a great sound. Another great Kentucky outlaw country singer is Chris Knight. A playlist with Knight, Simpson, Isbell and DBT makes for a great soundtrack for a show like Justified.
The term "underrated" is really overrated, but Chris Knight is criminally underrated. I love the Heart of Stone and Trailer Tapes albums.

Southeastern from Jason Isbell was also amazing. "Elephant" is one of the most heartbreaking songs I've ever heard, and then he puts the hilarious "Super 8" on the same album. I know he'll probably never rejoin DBT but it would be incredible if he did, even if just for a tour.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Albums I really dug this year:

--Lost in the Dream, The War on Drugs. Brilliant from start to finish. Like someone combined Springsteen, Dylan, good Don Henley, and David + David's "Boomtown" into an album (f*ck, I'm old).

--Here and Nowhere Else, Cloud Nothings. Great hooks, a ton of gritty 90s punkish energy, and the best drummer in indie rock. I played this to death.

--Deep Fantasy, White Lung. Blistering punk elevated by some incredible guitar playing and Mish Way's vocals. Love the serrated riffs on the songs.

--HEAL, Strand of Oaks. An intense album about overcoming addictions and assorted other demons. The opening track "Goshen '97" was my favorite song this year, in no small part because of the fantastic guitar playing by J Mascis.

--Home, Like Noplace Else, The Hotelier. Pretty emo, but I loved the energy and the pathos.

Songs:

--"Seasons (Waiting on You)," Future Islands. Hooked me with the Letterman appearance. The album is good but this song is great.

--"Transgender Dysphoria Blues" and "True Trans Soul Rebel," Against Me. A 1-2 album opener that conveys how difficult it must be to feel like you should have been born a different gender.

--"MTLOV (Minor Keys)," A Sunny Day in Glasgow. A super-bright pop song with a beautiful pair of female vocals and a very well placed guitar solo.

--"Archie, Marry Me," Alvvays. Simple guitar pop with a chorus I was belting out loud after the first time I heard it.

--"Milwaukee" and "Volunteers of America," The Both. I really hope Ted Leo and Aimee Mann collaborate again.

--"Rent I Pay," Spoon. I like the whole album but this in particular has the classic Spoon sound I like so much.

--"Milly's Garden," Steve Gunn. A kind of hobo-ramshackle folk that makes me think of a guy actually stuck in Lodi again.

--"White Fire," Angel Olsen. Seven intense, intimate minutes that could be the soundtrack of a guy driving down a dark road in a David Lynch movie.

--"Trainwreck 1979, Death From Above 1979. Black Keys covering LCD Soundsystem. Love the fat, distorted bass line.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My top 10 albums of 2014:

10. Ryan Adams, "Ryan Adams"
9. Tweedy, "Sukierae"
8. Robert Plant, "Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar"
7. Cloud Nothings, "Here and Nowhere Else"
6. The War on Drugs, "Lost in the Dream"
5. TV on the Radio, “Seeds”
4. Spoon, "They Want My Soul"
3. Bob Mould, “Beauty and Ruin”
2. Real Estate, "Atlas"
1. Beck, "Morning Phase"

My top five was pretty easy, with Beck as the clear No. 1. But finding a solid six through 10 was tough. Not a great year for music. Usually I must weed through around 25-30 choices to pick a top 10. I only needed to trim four or five albums to build my list this year.
Last edited by pk500 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Seeing so much love for that Ryan Adams record. I have to say that it just didn't do it for me. Not sure what I'm missing, but it just felt empty. Not bad at all, but not a single song that stuck with me or resonated on any level.

I don't keep up with enough to be anything near as authoritative as I used to be on this stuff. The Jason Isbell was still my favorite record this year. :)

2014 stuff that I love, so far:

Dave & Phil Alvin - Common Ground
D'Angelo - Black Messiah
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata
Marc Ribot Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Half The City
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music (This wins hands-down the coveted award for Album Title Guaranteed To Make Music Critics Tumescent)
Prince - Art Official Age
Parker Milsap - Parker Milsap (This guy and John Fullbright...what's going on in OK?!?)
Ex Hex - Rips
Common - Nobody's Smiling
Mike Farris - Shine For All The People
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

greggsand wrote:Here's my top 10 albums for 2014:

10. Stars - No One is Lost
9. Gerard Way - Hesitant Alien
8. Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams
7. Foxygen - ...And Star Power
6. Spoon - They Want My Soul
5.Taylor Swift - 1989
4. Ariel Pink - Pom Pom
3. Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
2. Mac Demarco - Salad Days
1. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Thanks for you list! I seem to have the most similar taste in music to the lists and rep's you make. Don't know how I missed a new Ariel Pink album...?!?!

And for me that new Foxygen album was the biggest letdown of the year. :(
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RobVarak wrote:Seeing so much love for that Ryan Adams record. I have to say that it just didn't do it for me. Not sure what I'm missing, but it just felt empty. Not bad at all, but not a single song that stuck with me or resonated on any level.

I don't keep up with enough to be anything near as authoritative as I used to be on this stuff. The Jason Isbell was still my favorite record this year. :)

D'Angelo - Black Messiah
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music (This wins hands-down the coveted award for Album Title Guaranteed To Make Music Critics Tumescent)
Parker Milsap - Parker Milsap (This guy and John Fullbright...what's going on in OK?!?)
Ex Hex - Rips
D'Angelo's new album is incredible. Much too long a wait from Voodoo.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:D'Angelo's new album is incredible. Much too long a wait from Voodoo.
Hell, yes. I haven't heard D'Angelo's early work but listened to this upon your recommendation and props from the "Sound Opinions" podcast. This normally isn't my genre of choice, but this album is so damn fresh, dense and unique. It will take many listens for me to peel all of the layers on this record.

This record reminds me of "Planet Orange" by Frank Ocean. Normally not my kind of music, but it was damn good. Dig both.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Divine Styler's new album -- HOLY SH*T. What a wild listen, again in a genre I normally don't consume. This record is hip-hop from the very distant future. Dystopian, Orwellian.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Panda Bears' newest 'Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper' is legit. It is what his last effort, 'Tomboy', should have been. Complex, yet melodic and original.

Soupa Mac
Mario Mendoza

Post by Soupa Mac »

You guys need to get on the J.J. Cale tip. Album: Troubadour.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Soupa Mac wrote:You guys need to get on the J.J. Cale tip. Album: Troubadour.
Thanks for turning me on to this the other day Soupa! I've always known about JJ Cale but never ventured into his stuff. Ordered it right away on vinyl as a reissue and man, it may be in my top 5 best sounding vinyls.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:D'Angelo's new album is incredible. Much too long a wait from Voodoo.
Hell, yes. I haven't heard D'Angelo's early work but listened to this upon your recommendation and props from the "Sound Opinions" podcast. This normally isn't my genre of choice, but this album is so damn fresh, dense and unique. It will take many listens for me to peel all of the layers on this record.

This record reminds me of "Planet Orange" by Frank Ocean. Normally not my kind of music, but it was damn good. Dig both.
If you haven't listened to his first two albums YOU MUST. Brown Sugar (1995) and Voodoo (2000) are elite level LP's in my opinion. Brown Sugar just flows. Everything from a remake of 'Cruisin' by Smokey Robinson to numerous original jams. It was by far the best RnB album of the 90’s. My opinion of course. In Voodoo he showed a ton of growth. The tracks are so good.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Spooky wrote:
Soupa Mac wrote:You guys need to get on the J.J. Cale tip. Album: Troubadour.
Thanks for turning me on to this the other day Soupa! I've always known about JJ Cale but never ventured into his stuff. Ordered it right away on vinyl as a reissue and man, it may be in my top 5 best sounding vinyls.
Nice to see a bit of affection for JJ Cale on these boards. Thought it might be of interest to post this link of Cale and his band getting together with Eric Clapton at the Crossroads Festival, around 2004 I think, as part of the tour that shaped the documentary entitled "To Tulsa and Back, On tour with JJ Cale", which gives a great insight into the man and his music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUeOEkl270

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

My lad turned me on to "Violent Soho" Stand out is covered in chrome. "I like it a lot"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Holy sh*t -- the new Swervedriver album is a fantastic return to form.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I am eagerly awaiting next week's release of the new Royal Thunder album Crooked Doors. They have been getting a lot of buzz lately and from what I've heard they deserve it, especially their singer Mlny Parsonz. This woman can sing.

I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Got a nice surprise in the mail today for record store day
My Fave bands latest

Sounds like the guys record player is not running at 33 1/3 if that what it is its been so long :D
Love it and it ends with a bang just like their live shows.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Man - are you guys down with Sturgill Simpson? his newest album, 'Metamodern Sounds in Country Music' is pretty amazing. It's like he's a replica of 70's Waylon Jennings with a slight twist. Cool.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

RobVarak wrote:Seeing so much love for that Ryan Adams record. I have to say that it just didn't do it for me. Not sure what I'm missing, but it just felt empty. Not bad at all, but not a single song that stuck with me or resonated on any level.

D'Angelo - Black Messiah
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
Ex Hex - Rips
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

RobVarak wrote:

D'Angelo - Black Messiah
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
Ex Hex - Rips
Well there ya go! It's really so great.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spooky wrote:Man - are you guys down with Sturgill Simpson? his newest album, 'Metamodern Sounds in Country Music' is pretty amazing. It's like he's a replica of 70's Waylon Jennings with a slight twist. Cool.
Enjoy this record and Simpson very much.

Grab Dwight Yoakam's new record, too. Fantastic. Anti-Nashville, real country.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

:lol: :lol:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Got a nice surprise in the mail today for record store day
My Fave bands latest

Sounds like the guys record player is not running at 33 1/3 if that what it is its been so long :D
Love it and it ends with a bang just like their live shows.
I am excited for this, too. There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Keep It Like a Secret are two of my favorite 90s albums.