OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by fanatic »

Made it out for my first Record Store Day experience - small lineups at each place just before they opened, but met some cool folks so it worked out great.

Some purchases: Willie Nelson Teatro reissue (gold vinyl), Grizzly Bear debut album on splatter vinyl (very cool), Darjeeling Limited Soundtrack (a nice mix of Kinks/Stones/Indian music) on green vinyl and more...

I've really been enjoying Courtney Barnett's debut LP as well. Also, for jazz fans who want a true audiophile experience, I recommend the Music Matters Blue Note re-issues - they certainly aren't cheap, but I've never heard anything sound that good in my life thus far. Picked up Art Blakey's Moanin' and Grant Green's Idle Moments.

Looking forward to most in the next couple of months: new Alabama Shakes, Tame Impala

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I just snagged that Courtney Barrett Album too.

NYCTAPER.com has some AWESOME stuff to d/l for free.

https://soundcloud.com/vibrantorange/sets/mac

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Cool, thanks for the link.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Courtney Barnett is one wry, funny lyricist. Once I heard her album, I understood why DeRogatis and Kot at "Sound Opinions" gushed over her this year at SXSW.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

3 Great albums in heavy rotation in my house right now: Natalie Prass (self titled), Father John Misty (I Love You Honeybear), and Passion pit (Kindred).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

greggsand wrote:3 Great albums in heavy rotation in my house right now: Natalie Prass (self titled), Father John Misty (I Love You Honeybear), and Passion pit (Kindred).
i just can't get into Father John Misty the little bit I've tried but everyone seems to mention his newest in very high regards. I'll have to give it another shot.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Spooky wrote:
greggsand wrote:3 Great albums in heavy rotation in my house right now: Natalie Prass (self titled), Father John Misty (I Love You Honeybear), and Passion pit (Kindred).
i just can't get into Father John Misty the little bit I've tried but everyone seems to mention his newest in very high regards. I'll have to give it another shot.
Totally worth the time. I was the same way & then it just clicked. Try with a nice scotch on a quiet patio (or something).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Spooky wrote: i just can't get into Father John Misty the little bit I've tried but everyone seems to mention his newest in very high regards. I'll have to give it another shot.
I agree. I've given it a good run, but it's doing nothing for me. Lyrically, it's too arch by half. The whole thing swings wildly between tongue-in-cheek insincerity and deadly earnestness in a way that just doesn't work for me.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

RobVarak wrote:
Spooky wrote: i just can't get into Father John Misty the little bit I've tried but everyone seems to mention his newest in very high regards. I'll have to give it another shot.
I agree. I've given it a good run, but it's doing nothing for me. Lyrically, it's too arch by half. The whole thing swings wildly between tongue-in-cheek insincerity and deadly earnestness in a way that just doesn't work for me.
That's deeper than I go with it. I just can't hear anything that grabs my ear. It's nice music and certainly isn't bad - Just nothing that gets my attention melodically.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Was wondering if any of you fellows are subscribed to Spotify Premium? I am thinking about it, would like to know the pros and cons. Cheers.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Was wondering if any of you fellows are subscribed to Spotify Premium? I am thinking about it, would like to know the pros and cons. Cheers.
I have it, only because I keep going back and forth between devices and I cannot keep doing that w/ Google Music (you can only have ten devices active at one time), but if I had to choose one, Google Music wins every time. Easier interface and higher sound quality for a majority of the music. GM also allows you to upload your own library to the cloud as well and use the app to access it anywhere. It's just a better product overall. Nothing wrong with Spotify if GM didn't exist, so if you want to stay away from Google, it's all good.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Was wondering if any of you fellows are subscribed to Spotify Premium? I am thinking about it, would like to know the pros and cons. Cheers.
I have it, only because I keep going back and forth between devices and I cannot keep doing that w/ Google Music (you can only have ten devices active at one time), but if I had to choose one, Google Music wins every time. Easier interface and higher sound quality for a majority of the music. GM also allows you to upload your own library to the cloud as well and use the app to access it anywhere. It's just a better product overall. Nothing wrong with Spotify if GM didn't exist, so if you want to stay away from Google, it's all good.
Thanks for the advice. I just switched back to Apple with the iPhone 6 so was looking at my options. Price wise I see it's the same per month.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Thanks for the advice. I just switched back to Apple with the iPhone 6 so was looking at my options. Price wise I see it's the same per month.
Google just rolled out the app a few months ago for iOS...and it's fantastic. I use it on my iPad all the time. So either way you can use it if you decide to. Pretty sure you can get a free month of each as a new user...then just decide which you prefer.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New album by Best Coast, "California Nights," is a very good listen. A bit less jingle-jangle than last record, with a bit more 90s crunch and even a bit of shoegaze dream pop mixed in. And Bethany Cosentino's voice never fails to enchant.

Digging this.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

+1 for Google Music here.

I locked into Google Music for the special price of $7.99 per month with the beta and never left. Much more intuitive than Spotify. I despise Spotify's interface and playlists on mobile and desktop. Google Music's interface is far friendlier.

Plus DB is right: Google Music has better sound quality than Spotify. Both Google Music and Spotify have far better sound quality than Rdio, so if aural quality means anything to you, run away from Rdio.

Spotify offers more user- and celebrity-curated playlists, but I could care less. I listen to what I want, not what Lady Gaga or some 17-year-old in Des Moines is playing.

It would have taken a hell of a product for me to stop "borrowing" music from the Internet, as I was the sonic love child of Blackbeard and Jack Sparrow from 2002-13. I think I've grabbed four or five records from the Interwebs since I subscribed to Google Music around two years ago, and I listen to MANY different genres. Google Music offers almost everything I want.

Fantastic product.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:It would have taken a hell of a product for me to stop "borrowing" music from the Internet, as I was the sonic love child of Blackbeard and Jack Sparrow from 2002-13. I think I've grabbed four or five records from the Interwebs since I subscribed to Google Music around two years ago, and I listen to MANY different genres. Google Music offers almost everything I want.
Isn't that funny. All music companies had to do was figure out a way to get music into our hands cheaply and voila, we stop borrowing it. Being able to download albums locally to your devices for offline listening is just genius. I'm locked at $7.99 too, lol. I just wish they didn't have some dumb device limits. Ten at a time and you can only deauthorize 4 per year. You know how many devices I've got...and go through...so I hit that easily. So dumb.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Advise taken, PK & DB. The only reason I am going to give Spotify Premium a quick look is because they are offering 3 months for $99 cents in Canada and then a fixed $9.99 per month subscription after. Will definitely give Google a look as well.

DB, the app that you were mentioning for iOS by Google Music is the one that has the yellow headphones as an icon correct?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Advise taken, PK & DB. The only reason I am going to give Spotify Premium a quick look is because they are offering 3 months for $99 cents in Canada and then a fixed $9.99 per month subscription after. Will definitely give Google a look as well.

DB, the app that you were mentioning for iOS by Google Music is the one that has the yellow headphones as an icon correct?
Yes. Google Play Music. There are a couple of knockoff apps that people were using when there wasn't an official app, but now there is.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Also locked into the $7.99 Google Play membership - definitely give it a go (even at $9.99) and don't look back.

But yeah, too bad about the 10 device limit because....wait....what? Sorry db, couldn't resist.

Recent albums I've been enjoying:

-Earl Sweatshirt's latest
-Calexico's latest
-Still deciding whether I'm liking the new My Morning Jacket. Nice vibe to it, but hasn't pulled me in yet.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fanatic wrote:But yeah, too bad about the 10 device limit because....wait....what? Sorry db, couldn't resist.
The problem isn't the limit per se...it's the fact that you can't de-authorize more than 4 devices per year that's the problem. I only have about 6 devices at a time that I'm using w/ GPM (2 phones, 1 tablet, 3 computers)...but every time you get a new device, and for me that's often, you have to de-authorize once you get to ten devices you're stuck after you've done 4. That's a piece of cake for me to exceed given all of the devices I buy/sell/trade.

Even at 7.99 for GPM and 9.99 for Spotify...I am still getting my money's worth. Finding new music is just awesome when there is no risk.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I listen to a lot of jazz, but it's been many, many years, maybe decades, since I was as smitten by something new as much as I'm blown away by Kamasi Washington's triple-length-LP The Epic.

This thing has all the elements to be an overindulgent, sloppy behemoth of a record. It inhales a hugely eclectic range of influences and spits them out into everything from sizzling post-bop workouts to operatic chorale pieces.

It's amazing.

If you even remotely like jazz, give it a try. And play it L-O-U-D! This is life affirming, truth telling American music.

http://www.amazon.com/Epic-Kamasi-Washi ... washington

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

RobVarak wrote:I listen to a lot of jazz, but it's been many, many years, maybe decades, since I was as smitten by something new as much as I'm blown away by Kamasi Washington's triple-length-LP The Epic.

This thing has all the elements to be an overindulgent, sloppy behemoth of a record. It inhales a hugely eclectic range of influences and spits them out into everything from sizzling post-bop workouts to operatic chorale pieces.

It's amazing.

If you even remotely like jazz, give it a try. And play it L-O-U-D! This is life affirming, truth telling American music.

Epic indeed....thanks for the recommendation. Agreed about the choral elements - so many layers, love it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:I listen to a lot of jazz, but it's been many, many years, maybe decades, since I was as smitten by something new as much as I'm blown away by Kamasi Washington's triple-length-LP The Epic.

It's amazing.

I love jazz. Thanks for the tip, Rob. Just added this to my Google Play library. One click, and it's mine. :)

If anyone is into soul, listen today to what the genre might sound like in the future by taking a full trip through the new Hiatus Kaiyote album, "Choose Your Weapon." Some trippy, trippy sh*t, man.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote: If anyone is into soul, listen today to what the genre might sound like in the future by taking a full trip through the new Hiatus Kaiyote album, "Choose Your Weapon." Some trippy, trippy sh*t, man.
Crazy coincidence. I was listening to that while I wrote the post about The Epic. Really great stuff. Good headphone tunes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:Crazy coincidence. I was listening to that while I wrote the post about The Epic. Really great stuff. Good headphone tunes.
No racial undertones to the following comment -- none. But it's pretty crazy that four white hipsters from Australia are making such trippy future soul with this record.