OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

I'm really diggin' Avenged Sevenfold. Something about their mix of styles grabbed me.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

pk500 wrote:Regarding the Arctic Monkeys, I don't get it. I really don't. I have the record, and it's a fun listen. But that's it. It's not challenging, it's not that original, it's not groundbreaking.
I agree - I listened to the AM stuff a lot for like a week, but after that it really lost its charm. It's really good for the 18-25 age group though, as much of it has to do with clubbing, young love, losing love, etc. etc.

One thing that many of their fans like is the fact that they use the localized slang and colloquiallisms (sp?) of their area of England but that'd doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I guess they keeps it realz.
Even Art Brut sounds more fresh than Arctic Monkeys -- plus you can't beat Art Brut's cheeky lyrics.
Oh God, Art Brut is quite fantastic. There's something special about a group that claims they'll write "The song that makes Palestine and Israel get along" and also writes a fantastic song about being unable to obtain/maintain an erection (Rusted Gun of Milan).
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

pk500 wrote:Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is OK, but I put them in the category of critical darling because they made a record and distributed it themselves.

They'd never admit it, but I think reviewers are more impressed with Clap's pluck and success story despite having no label than the music itself, which is decent but nothing special.
I disagree and would say that it's something special, but I'm not too sure why. There's just something about the album that I find is great but I can't quite put my finger on it.

As to someone else saying that they sound like the Violent Femmes - I have no idea because I haven't really heard much of their stuff before. Care to steer me in the proper direction of something that sounds similar to CYHSY?
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

laurenskye wrote:I'm really diggin' Avenged Sevenfold. Something about their mix of styles grabbed me.
skye: Which CD(s)? I have "Waking the Fallen" and absolutely love it. Wicked fun to jam along with too.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Airdog wrote: As to someone else saying that they sound like the Violent Femmes - I have no idea because I haven't really heard much of their stuff before. Care to steer me in the proper direction of something that sounds similar to CYHSY?
It sounds like outtakes from Talking Heads 77 to me.

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

James_E wrote:
laurenskye wrote:I'm really diggin' Avenged Sevenfold. Something about their mix of styles grabbed me.
skye: Which CD(s)? I have "Waking the Fallen" and absolutely love it. Wicked fun to jam along with too.
City Of Evil. The guitars are great and the drummer is nuts. Fun fun fun.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Avenged Sevenfold sounds like a very talented band. They might be a bit too heavy for me at times, but I really like the one song that gets a lot of airplay (bat-something?).

Seether is a band that I want to look more into. The singer sonds like a mix between Kurt Cobain and the guy from Puddle of Mud.

laurenskye wrote:
James_E wrote:
City Of Evil. The guitars are great and the drummer is nuts. Fun fun fun.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Holy sh*t, somebody woke up Eddie Vedder! I really like the new Pearl Jam album and will buy it on the 2nd.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Also be sure to catch 'em on tour if you can, Leebo. Nobody puts on a more rocking show these days, IMO.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I bet. They sounded great on SNL.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

ScoopBrady wrote:On a side note, you guys have convinced me to relisten to the Use Your Illusion albums. When they came out I thought they were complete and utter crap. Very predictable and sell-outish. It was nowhere near the fresh, raw sound of Appetite. Maybe 10+ years will give me new perspective on it but I was a fan of GNR before they hit it big and the release of the Use Your Illusion double album left the same taste in my mouth that the 2 Load albums did with Metallica.
I finally got around to doing this and nothing has changed. It's not a letdown of Zooropa proportions but it's damn close.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I thought Zooropa was a fantastic album, and a pretty daring and weird release for such a mainstream band.

But this was way back when U2 took artistic chances. Wow, imagine that.

Now, can anyone hear "Vertigo" and be able to separate it from that f***in iPod ad?

What a shame. Ruining art for the sake of better commerce.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I like Zooropa too. "Pop" was probably their worst, although even it has some great songs. It just happens to have a couple of the only U2 songs I absolutely hate ("Miami" and "The Playboy Mansion").

I don't have a problem with the ipod ads, although I have to admit to not seeing them much because I have a DVR and almost never watch live television.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"Zooropa" was a letdown after "Achtung Baby," but considering that was U2's best album, what wouldn't be a letdown?

I almost treat "Zooropa" as an album of B-sides from "Achtung" or a prequel to "Pop."

Like Leebo and AJ, I agree that both "Zooropa" and "Pop" weren't the greatest records in the world, but they did have some excellent individual tracks. I really liked "Zooropa," "Stay," "Lemon" and "Some Days Are Better Than Others" from "Zooropa" and "Do You Feel Loved" and "Last Night on Earth" from "Pop."

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I really liked Zooropa. They managed to incoporate elements of the burgeoning electronica genre without sounding like trendy whores. They came at their classic song structure from a completely different sonic angle.

As for Use Your Illusion, I had been on a G'n'R kick a couple months ago since it's good workout music for me. Two things I realized were that Appetite, as great as it can be, was much more uneven than I remembered. There's some real generic filler mixed in with the classics. And Illusion was much better than I remembered (I had the anti-Scoop reaction), with "Coma" reclaiming the spot as my second favorite G'n'R song after "Paradise City."

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

That's one thing that, if I live to be 120 years old, I'll forever be grateful for: no one will ever be able to use the words Pearl Jam and electronica in the same sentence. That alone is enough to take any band out of the discussion when arguing who is the best rock band in history, IMO.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this is really a new Rolling Stone magazine cover or not, but if it is, I'm glad to see PJ getting some props on the same classic cover as one which questions whether W is "The Worst President in History?"

Sorry for the threadjack, but here's the link:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Anybody else hear any more of the new PJ online? "Severed Hand" is one of the best hard driving rock songs I've heard in a long time. Between the new PJ and double disc Chilli Peppers cd, there's going to be a LOT of good rock and roll to look forward to in the next month or so. Time to kick that emo s*** to the curb where it belongs.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

LOL. I was going to post the same thing. I love the whole album. The first 4 songs just totally kick major ass. Easily the best 4 song opening to a rock album I've ever heard in ages. I think they did a good job with the order as well. After "Life Wasted", "WorldWide Suicide", "Comatose" and "Severed Hand" you need the break that "Marker in the Sand" and "Parachutes" offer. The middle to later part of the album is catchy but not wimpy and by the time "Come Back" rolls around you are ready to chill out anyway. Each song offers something unique. It's not the 3:05 verse, chorus, verse, fade out jam at the end of the song structure they've been using. Those jams last longer just when you think they should and a song like "Comatose", which is only something like 2:30, still feels right. It's so damn powerful in those 2 1/2 minutes.

I think Pearl Jam has been releasing mediocre albums since No Code, but this album is what I've been waiting 10 years to hear. What's even more amazing is that the versions I've heard are of crappy quality except for "WWS" and "Unemployable." I can't wait to buy the CD and hear it in all it's sonic glory.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I agree with just about everything you said, Leebo (I've liked the last couple of cds, but only after hearing some of the songs in concert). For as much as I liked Severed Hand when I was listening to it late last night, I think Marker in the Sand and Parachutes are now my 2 favorites. I'm a big fan of theirs, but MITS might be my new favorite PJ song, period. Can't wait to May 2 to get a good recording of these songs (and to seeing a couple of their shows in Philly over Memorial Day weekend).

P.S. You didn't like Yield? What a great album.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I like Yield...just not as much as the first 4 albums. It still gets some airplay, especially since it's one of the only good CDs my wife keeps in her car. I've purchased the past few CDs, but I rarely listen to them.
Don't get me wrong though...the worst Pearl Jam album is still better than 90% of the sh*t out there today.

I'm really looking forward to the new Chili Peppers as well. I like a lot of their older stuff and Californication is one of my favorite albums. I didn't care too much for By the Way.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

panic at the disco is pretty good.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Leebo33 wrote:Speaking of Pearl Jam:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/060421
LOL...that's great. Like the guitar pick, too.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I haven't really paid attention to Pearl Jam since No Code. I checked out some of the new stuff and it's pretty good. I'll have to revisit Vitalogy through No Code again and check out everything that came after.

On a side note, the new Tool album "10,000 Days" is phenomenal. Where "Lateralus" sounded more like A Perfect Circle, "10,000 Days" sounds more like "Aenima".
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.