OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I've only listened to it once the whole way through, but the new "Let's Impeach the President" album from Uncle Neil (Young) sounds like it should be excellent.

Man, new PJ, Chili Peppers, Springsteen and Neil Young, and it sounds like they're all good. Not a bad month at all.

Here's a link to the streaming NY:

http://livingwithwar.blogspot.com/

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Saw this posted yesterday -- Final Johnny Cash work yields 2 more American recording albums (now that's good news):

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/revi ... cash_x.htm

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

For the many Pearl Jam fans, they played Letterman last night. Then they did a free "mini-concert" afterwards for his audience, that will supposedly be posted on the Late Show website at some point. Very cool. Letterman made a point about how cool it is for them to let him put it on his site, instead of their own. He seems to really like them on a personal level.

Anyway, great performance as they are awesome live. I'm sure it will hit youtube at some point today.

Joe

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Can't wait to see PJ at the 2 shows in Philly over Memorial Day weekend. This tour is going to be awesome. Here's the link to the Letterman show: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/l ... letterman/

I was wondering if anyone has picked up the album by Wolfmother? Maybe it's already been mentioned and I missed it. I stumbled across some very good reviews a couple of days ago and picked it up last night. I haven't listened to it enough yet to form an opinion, but I definitely see the Black Sabbath (with Ozzy), Deep Purple, White Stripes, Soundgarden, and even Jethro Tull comparisons that are being made in the reviews.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I really like the new RHCP. I like Mars a lot more than Jupiter though.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I can't say I'm entirely digging the new Chili Peppers double cd but I will agree that the Mars disc is better than the Jupiter one. That Jupiter one should have never been released. Talk about a real stinker.

On a side note Al Jourgenson is back with a new Ministry album called Rio Grande Blood. It's easily Ministry's best since Psalm 69. If you liked Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste, or Psalm 69 check it out.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Anyone hear that New Cars song? It is pretty good and I will likely pik up their new CD next month.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Bud
Mario Mendoza

Post by Bud »

Check out The Raconteurs, featuring Jack White of White Stripes fame. Their debut album, "Broken Boy Soldiers", was released today.

I think this is a really good album, but it would be interesting to hear if fans of The White Stripes think this new band is a good idea. Here we have Jack White working with another songwriter and there's a bassist, too.

See if you like the first single, "Steady, As She Goes". Go to media->video to watch the video:
http://www.theraconteurs.com/

Here are some recent radio sessions:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5392642
http://music.aol.com/artists/the-interface/raconteurs

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I've been listening to the Raconteurs a lot since it was leaked last month. It's all over the map stylistically with White Stripey blues numbers, more poppy stuff from Brendan Benson and some songs that wouldn't sound out of place on Led Zeppelin I. Some things work better than others.

There's potential here, so I hope the band stays together for more than an album and summer tour. White and Benson are obviously sympatico and the Greenhornes rhythm section is much tighter than Meg.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

GTHobbes wrote:Can't wait to see PJ at the 2 shows in Philly over Memorial Day weekend. This tour is going to be awesome. Here's the link to the Letterman show: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/l ... letterman/

I was wondering if anyone has picked up the album by Wolfmother? Maybe it's already been mentioned and I missed it. I stumbled across some very good reviews a couple of days ago and picked it up last night. I haven't listened to it enough yet to form an opinion, but I definitely see the Black Sabbath (with Ozzy), Deep Purple, White Stripes, Soundgarden, and even Jethro Tull comparisons that are being made in the reviews.
Wolfmother is the best thing I've heard in quite some time. Growing up in the 70s, this is the closest thing to the rock that I grew up on. Absolutely love it! The song "White Unicorn" reminds me so much of early Styx and also they do remind me a lot of Sabbath. I definitely see the Soundgarden influences as well. To me this is a must have for anyone that loves a good rock album.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

sfz_T-car wrote:I've been listening to the Raconteurs a lot since it was leaked last month. It's all over the map stylistically with White Stripey blues numbers, more poppy stuff from Brendan Benson and some songs that wouldn't sound out of place on Led Zeppelin I. Some things work better than others.

There's potential here, so I hope the band stays together for more than an album and summer tour. White and Benson are obviously sympatico and the Greenhornes rhythm section is much tighter than Meg.
I've heard the Raconteurs and I just don't get the Jack White fascination. I'm not trying to start an argument, but one of my requirements for any music that I buy is that the singer at least must be able to carry a tune. Having heard some White Stripes and now this, I just can't figure out why anyone would give this guy a record deal. Maybe I just don't get it, but the guy reminds me of some horrible garage band singer.

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Badgun wrote:
sfz_T-car wrote:I've been listening to the Raconteurs a lot since it was leaked last month. It's all over the map stylistically with White Stripey blues numbers, more poppy stuff from Brendan Benson and some songs that wouldn't sound out of place on Led Zeppelin I. Some things work better than others.

I've heard the Raconteurs and I just don't get the Jack White fascination. I'm not trying to start an argument, but one of my requirements for any music that I buy is that the singer at least must be able to carry a tune. Having heard some White Stripes and now this, I just can't figure out why anyone would give this guy a record deal. Maybe I just don't get it, but the guy reminds me of some horrible garage band singer.
I can see that argument. I've been pretty mixed on previous White Stripes music. IMHO, there's about an album and a half of good quality stuff but a lot of songs that left me cold.

I'm a huge Brendan Benson fan though. He can deliver a hook like Smokin Joe Frazier and has a unique conversational delivery that fits his music well. Hopefully he'll get a hit record out of the Raconteurs so he can buy a house or something.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Badgun wrote:aving heard some White Stripes and now this, I just can't figure out why anyone would give this guy a record deal. Maybe I just don't get it, but the guy reminds me of some horrible garage band singer.
The funny thing is that the 30 second clips of Wolfmother's "Joker and Thief" and "Colossal" on Amazon sound A LOT like Jack White to me...LOL.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

Leebo33 wrote:
Badgun wrote:aving heard some White Stripes and now this, I just can't figure out why anyone would give this guy a record deal. Maybe I just don't get it, but the guy reminds me of some horrible garage band singer.
The funny thing is that the 30 second clips of Wolfmother's "Joker and Thief" and "Colossal" on Amazon sound A LOT like Jack White to me...LOL.
Yeah, having listened to the Wolfmother cd multiple times, I can see the comparison, but the singer for Wolfmother has so much more range. He has a very good "rock & roll voice" if that makes sense. I can even hear some Ronnie James Dio at times.

Like I said, maybe it's acquired taste. I could never listen to Dylan either no matter how many people call him a genius.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Badgun wrote:Like I said, maybe it's acquired taste.
Oh, I like Jack White so I'll probably like it :D I'll defintely check it out.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

The new issue of FHM mentioned the Raconteurs and Wolfmother. I'll have to check them out.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Badgun wrote: Wolfmother is the best thing I've heard in quite some time. Growing up in the 70s, this is the closest thing to the rock that I grew up on. Absolutely love it! The song "White Unicorn" reminds me so much of early Styx and also they do remind me a lot of Sabbath. I definitely see the Soundgarden influences as well. To me this is a must have for anyone that loves a good rock album.
Glad to see that you picked it up and are enjoying it, Badgun. I told someone at work that I could hear a little Triumph in one of their songs, too. I keep d/ling new live Pearl Jam from their tour, though, so I haven't been able to listen much more to Wolfmother since posting that. I thought it was kind've cool though to read just a couple of days ago that Wolfmother will apparently be opening for PJ somewhere on this tour (I think Kings of Leon has Australia with PJ, so I'm not sure where WM will be opening). Depending on how good WM is live, that could be a great show.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Don't know if anyone has mentioned these two yet but I highly reccomend them:

Hank Williams III....or Hank III. He is a mix of country and punk....but pays a big homage to country from the 50's and 60's while poking major fun at todays pop-country...great stuff if you like that sound. I recommend:

"Dic* in Dixie and Cun* in Country"

"Highway 87"

"Go F You"

among many others.....

Other band is Bedouin Soundclash.

They are a Canadian band that has a reggae/Police feel to them. Reccomended songs are:

"When the Night Feels my Song"......awesome happy, upbeat song.....

"Living in Jungles"

Lastly, get Gnarls Barkley's new song:

"Crazy".......awesome awesome song.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Jack White can't sing-- neither could Dylan. Jack White is no Bob Dylan but some of the songs are so lyrically and stylistically perfect that it makes up for some of his wailing. I absolutely love that 'band.' I particularly love the De Stijl record. Just brilliant. I agree though that if you need your lead singer to be able to sing like a songbird...they aren't the group for you. White can sound grating at times.

I've also been listening a lot to The Kills, another 'garage band' that I think is pretty cool. I've heard a lot of good things about Wolfmother; a buddy of mine tells me I absolutely need to listen to it I just haven't been able to find the damn thing. 70s rock clones are dangerous for me though. As much as I adore Zeppelin and old Sabbath I cannot stand stuff like Nazareth and Rush, so there's a very fine line for me when it comes to this genre of music. I dunno where WM falls.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

pk500 wrote: But if you like the Jenny Lewis album, then you MUST get the new Neko Case album. It's exceptional -- neck and neck with Rosanne Cash's latest as the best record I've heard so far this year. I'm listening to it a ton. Neko Case has talent to spare.
I just picked up Fox Confessor Brings the Flood and have been completely blown away by it. Neko Case's voice is incredible, and she adds a lot of elements to her songwriting that makes these tunes feel fresh rather than mere homages to traditional country and folk music. A great, great album.

Also picked up the new Drive-By Truckers, A Blessing and a Curse. Another strong alt-country band with more of a rock edge to them. Hasn't quite grabbed me the way their previous The Dirty South did, but it's still a really strong disc.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando:

Glad you dig Neko Case's new record. She really is fantastic -- a voice for the ages.

I'm grabbing Drive-By Truckers this weekend, as I really liked "The Dirty South."

My favorite new album is The Dixie Chicks' "Taking The Long Way." Yes, The Dixie Chicks.

It's a really, really good record that shows this is a band with brains and talent. It's probably a good thing that Nashville radio and fans of the country schlock that city produces are shunning this record for political reasons, as it's too good and too smart of a record for that scene.

Still, it's pretty damn ironic that country radio and most country fans are shunning this album simply because Natalie Maines opened her mouth and expressed an opinion through freedom of speech, something the whole country crowd professes such passion for -- as long as it matches their beliefs. Just plain stupid.

Anyways, the Dixie Chicks' album is damn good.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

Primal Scream's "Riot City Blues" is a better Rolling Stones album than anything the Stones have released in the past 30 years.

Badgun
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Badgun »

pk500 wrote:Brando:

Glad you dig Neko Case's new record. She really is fantastic -- a voice for the ages.

I'm grabbing Drive-By Truckers this weekend, as I really liked "The Dirty South."

My favorite new album is The Dixie Chicks' "Taking The Long Way." Yes, The Dixie Chicks.

It's a really, really good record that shows this is a band with brains and talent. It's probably a good thing that Nashville radio and fans of the country schlock that city produces are shunning this record for political reasons, as it's too good and too smart of a record for that scene.

Still, it's pretty damn ironic that country radio and most country fans are shunning this album simply because Natalie Maines opened her mouth and expressed an opinion through freedom of speech, something the whole country crowd professes such passion for -- as long as it matches their beliefs. Just plain stupid.

Anyways, the Dixie Chicks' album is damn good.

Take care,
PK
The Dixie Chicks, like most musicians and A List Hollywood types are all liberal asses. They should just play music as should the rest of them. I can't stand it when these country yahoos try to become political analysts. I like their new album so far, but I hope they've learned to keep their fu*king mouths shut.

catskinsox
Mario Mendoza

Post by catskinsox »

The Dixie Chicks, like most musicians and A List Hollywood types are all liberal asses. They should just play music as should the rest of them. I can't stand it when these country yahoos try to become political analysts. I like their new album so far, but I hope they've learned to keep their fu*king mouths shut.
If you had actually listened to the lyrics, you would realize they haven't. And good for them.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

pk500 wrote:Still, it's pretty damn ironic that country radio and most country fans are shunning this album simply because Natalie Maines opened her mouth and expressed an opinion through freedom of speech, something the whole country crowd professes such passion for -- as long as it matches their beliefs. Just plain stupid.
Badgun wrote:The Dixie Chicks, like most musicians and A List Hollywood types are all liberal asses. They should just play music as should the rest of them. I can't stand it when these country yahoos try to become political analysts. I like their new album so far, but I hope they've learned to keep their fu*king mouths shut.
I rest my case.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425