OT: New Music?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: New Music?

Post by XXXIV »

greggsand wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:Here is the latest from my boy. His own project.

http://treeshaker.bandcamp.com/

Enjoy.

tags: 90´s indie punk built to spill dinosaur jr. emo guitar driven indie rock riffs space rock Corona
Wow, great!!! Any Built to Spill fan will smile listening to this. Love it.
Agree! Great!

Picked it up last night. Listened to it a few times.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Thanks guys, i'll pass on the kind words.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Love My A7X ...New album dropped unannounced thursday night...Dont know if I will like it as its new to me but I do like the title song a lot.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The new album from The War on Drugs is ridiculously fantastic. Released today.

I must see these cats live.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

pk500 wrote:The new album from The War on Drugs is ridiculously fantastic. Released today.

I must see these cats live.
Agreed! You should come up to Toronto for their Massey Hall shows in October. Should be a fantastic venue for them.

Also, if you want something a bit more psychedelic and proggy to listen to, I highly recommend the new Oh Sees album Orc! Give it some time - it gets better as it goes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tips, man!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Spun the new War on Drugs. Really loved their last album. Found this new one pretty ho-hum. Background music at best. Bummer.

Then I listened to the new Grizzly Bear. Ummmm...yeah. Great stuff.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I listen to a TON of new and old music, as most of you know, and I'm struggling to think of a better straight-up rock record I've heard this year than "Cult Psychotica" by Battleme. Kick-ass psychedelic glam garage rock!

Here's the lead single, "No Truth"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Any fans of The Eagles, Tom Petty's solo work, Poco, Gram Parsons or Pure Prairie League should check out The Wild Feathers' latest release, "Greetings from the Neon Frontier." Very good, melodic, guitar-driven country rock, with fantastic harmonies from all four singers.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:Any fans of The Eagles, Tom Petty's solo work, Poco, Gram Parsons or Pure Prairie League should check out The Wild Feathers' latest release, "Greetings from the Neon Frontier." Very good, melodic, guitar-driven country rock, with fantastic harmonies from all four singers.
If you’re into all that, I’d also recommend The Cactus Blossums (Louvins, Everly Bros, Early-Parsons, etc)!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:
pk500 wrote:Any fans of The Eagles, Tom Petty's solo work, Poco, Gram Parsons or Pure Prairie League should check out The Wild Feathers' latest release, "Greetings from the Neon Frontier." Very good, melodic, guitar-driven country rock, with fantastic harmonies from all four singers.
If you’re into all that, I’d also recommend The Cactus Blossums (Louvins, Everly Bros, Early-Parsons, etc)!
Will check. Thanks for the tip!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

If you're into shoegaze such as My Bloody Valentine, Slowdrive, Ride, Swervedriver or The Jesus and Mary Chain (which I most definitely am!), then check out the new album from Soft Science, "Maps."

This is classic shoegaze-dream pop with a female lead singer. Band is from Sacramento, releasing on essentially its own label.

Brilliant album filled with great songs and only one or two duds. Discovered this on the "Buried Treasures" episode of the outstanding weekly rock-pop podcast "Sound Opinions."

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Thread has been dead awhile. Some new releases I have been enjoying include

Julia Macklin - Crushing
Yola - Walk Through Fire, produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. First song on the album has to be early leader for song of the year.
Shovels & Rope - By Blood. Another solid album by the husband and wife team

And while not new songs, a Record store Day release of The Alarm, Strength Live 85. Never saw them in person, but did see concerts on video and remember their live performance on MTV from the campus of UCLA. The energy they brought to their shows comes across on the recording.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

pk500 wrote:If you're into shoegaze such as My Bloody Valentine, Slowdrive, Ride, Swervedriver or The Jesus and Mary Chain (which I most definitely am!), then check out the new album from Soft Science, "Maps."

This is classic shoegaze-dream pop with a female lead singer. Band is from Sacramento, releasing on essentially its own label.

Brilliant album filled with great songs and only one or two duds. Discovered this on the "Buried Treasures" episode of the outstanding weekly rock-pop podcast "Sound Opinions."
Good stuff PK.
Have you checked out Swirlies, similar veiin as the bands you posted, "blonder tongue audio baton "is a staundout album.
Cheers.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Have not, matey. I'll check it! Thanks.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Check out this music video by Steven Wilson, prog rocker from Porcupine Tree:

https://youtu.be/YXki_m6bF7o

-MERACE

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Scoop:

Congrats on the release. Definitely eager to hear this. Like you, I'm a rocker who also digs certain kinds of EDM. A quick listen to parts of a couple of tracks indicated that your tastes and mine jive.

Mega congrats!

P.S.: What do you use for composing software? I'm starting to dabble with Reason Lite but am miles behind what you have done.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

pk500 wrote:Scoop:

Congrats on the release. Definitely eager to hear this. Like you, I'm a rocker who also digs certain kinds of EDM. A quick listen to parts of a couple of tracks indicated that your tastes and mine jive.

Mega congrats!

P.S.: What do you use for composing software? I'm starting to dabble with Reason Lite but am miles behind what you have done.
Thanks, PK. I compose on my iPad. I use anything from Nanostudio 2, Beatmaker 3, or composing in AUM and recording into Cubasis 2. Making music is really my new hobby and I've gotten a lot of music apps for iPad.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Holy dead thread! Last post nearly 1.5 years ago. Anyway, figure this is the best place for this. Radiohead's Kid A Mnesia digital exhibition is available for free. Went through a little bit of it and found it pretty cool. I just wish it had VR support as it screams of being totally immersive in VR.

https://pitchfork.com/news/radiohead-de ... ler-watch/

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thank you Yellowstone for introducing me to Shane Smith and the Saints. All I see You and Dance the night away to name a couple..

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm really digging Sam Fender's new album, "Seventeen Going Under." Singer-songwriter and guitar player from the Newcastle, England, area.

His first album, "Hypersonic Missiles" from 2019, earned him a BRIT Award and a No. 1 in the UK. It also gave him a tag of the "Geordie Springsteen" because he writes about working-class life in the North East of England with guitars and a prominent saxophone.

That tag is a bit much. I think Fender's sound is a mix of The Boss and The Killers and The War on Drugs. Great songs, excellent lyrics.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

My top 10 for 2021:

1. Porter Robinson - Nuture
2. Ducks LTD - Modern Fiction
3. Lana Del Rey - Blue Banisters
4. Kacey Musgraves - Star Crossed
5. Low - Hey What
6. Foxing - Draw Down the Moon
7. Indigo De Souza - Any Take You Shape
8. CHVRCHES - Screen Violence
9. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
10. Illuminati Hotties - Let Me Do One More
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My top three albums for 2021:

1. Sam Fender - "Seventeen Going Under"
2. Goat Girl - "On All Fours"
3. Billy Strings - "Renewal"

I really liked the new albums from Adele, The War on Drugs, Dry Cleaning, The Weather Station, Idles, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, and The Marfa Tapes with Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram and Jon Randall, but they didn't grab me for repeated spins like the top three on my list.

My two best live shows of 2021 (only saw three due to COVID, not counting my band!)

1. Billy Strings. INCREDIBLE. A must see. This cat will blow your mind with his brand of bluegrass. Jamgrass, punkgrass, psychgrass -- whatever. It's cool as hell.

2. Foo Fighters. Dave & Co. always deliver. About the best professional rock band out there. Incredible entertainers.

Disappointments: New records from Courtney Barnett and Kacey Musgraves. Barnett may be a one-album wonder. Her second album was so-so, and this third one was plain boring. Musgraves' love album, "Golden Hour," was a hell of a lot better than her divorce album, which was overwrought and nowhere near as good.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Absolutely gutted at the loss of Taylor Hawkins at age 50. What a MONSTER behind the kit. Saw the Foos last September with my oldest son -- what a show.

Once Neil Peart died, Hawkins became my favorite living drummer. Rest in powerful percussion, man.