Who's still playing Rugby 06

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Who's still playing Rugby 06

Post by tjung0831 »

This is my favorite game right now and I'm loving it. It's a really good change of pace game for sure. I don't think it gets enough love, I think it ranks right up there with WE9 and NBA2K6.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm definitely going to pick it up within a couple of weeks. I'm playing the hell out of WE 9 and TOCA 3 right now, but I haven't forgotten about Rugby 06 and all the praise it's receiving.

I'm definitely getting it, hopefully on the cheap, within the next few weeks.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I Gamefly'd it since WE9 was such a huge hit for me.

Rugby isn't apparently. I can't even come close to grasping the concept. I don't know what to do with the ball, what to do when they pile on, etc. I don't think it will ever get a 2nd try, honestly. That's not the game's fault, it's mine. I just can't learn a bunch of sports AND their game counterparts at the same time. WE9 is sucking up all of my "learning" time, currently.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I haven't played it since ToCA came out, but I can't wait to get started in a league or the other franchise-type mode.

Too many good games now...
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

bphilipb
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by bphilipb »

Still playing and having fun with it. Have been playing a lot of NCAA baseball and WE9 lately though.

BB

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

I'm playing the PS2 version and trying to hold my own on the pro difficulty level. I've had a lot more success after switching from the default side camera view to the classic view. It's a lot easier to spot holes in the defense when viewing your players from behind.

I still have problems switching players on defense; I get preoccupied with the ball and forget about my P1 controlled player wandering offsides. My brain apparently is too dense to grasp L2 as the button to switch players. A right thumb button might have been easier.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

TCrouch wrote:I Gamefly'd it since WE9 was such a huge hit for me.

Rugby isn't apparently. I can't even come close to grasping the concept. I don't know what to do with the ball, what to do when they pile on, etc. I don't think it will ever get a 2nd try, honestly. That's not the game's fault, it's mine. I just can't learn a bunch of sports AND their game counterparts at the same time. WE9 is sucking up all of my "learning" time, currently.
Even moreso than Soccer, Rugby is better understood if you can watch an actual match. I had dabbled with Rugby games in the past but didn't have a full understanding of what was going on until I checked out some Rugby matches on Fox Soccer Channel.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

"who's still playing??" It's only been out a week, my good man! I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It's a lot of fun, and I'm slowly but surely learning the intricacies of the game, the finer tactical points, etc. And the set plays when executed properly, are brilliant.
I love the way the game balances the choice between getting the ball out of a ruck quickly but not having time to set up coherently on offense vs. waiting until your men are set up for the set play (and a better chance at breaking through the defense) with the risk of losing possession in the ruck. You really have to judge whether or not you can afford to run the set play out of a ruck. It's a much better balanced game than the previous versions.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Got this brand new for $20 on half.com. Started messing around with it. I did the tutorial and have a slight clue, but not much of one.

Still, the game seems fun and will be a good gateway by which I can learn more about this cool sport.

So far, so good! I can't even judge if the game is realistic or not since I know almost nothing about rugby. But the game is fun, even if I'm getting my ass kicked!

And EA did a very good job with the tutorial and on-screen graphics to hold the hands of players, as it astutely figured that there would be a lot of people in North America who don't know this game but are curious enough about it to try Rugby 06. People like me, in other words! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah the tutorial definitely helped me...and that's after I played quite a bit of 05's version as well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What view are you cats using? Like Z, I'm having more luck after changing to Classic from Side.

Take care,
PK

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I still use the side view, i just think the game flows better using that view. I'm still loving this game alot. My favorite game right now without a doubt.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

I'm having some issues with it. I played the World Cup with the All-Blacks, had a pretty easy time getting to the final, of course, and then things got cheap. Sure, it's the Wallabies, and they're not gonna be a push-over, but a few things piss me off, as the computer is obviously using cheap tactics:
Any open-field tackle on my guy results in a turnover in the ensuing ruck, which is fine, considering that my man was alone and the Aussie defenders were closer and more numerous than mine. It would be okay if the computer played by the same rules whenever I tackle a guy and there are more of my players closer to the ensuing ruck than the opponents. Not so. As a matter of fact, the computer hardly ever gives up the ball once it has it, and conversely almost always takes it away once you get it.
This would not piss me off so much if the bar above the ruck weren't so wrong and meaningless half the time. Oftentimes there are situations where I have the bar nearly full in my possession, but still end up losing the ruck.
Knock-ons and offsides penalties are also way, way up.
It's not much fun when the computer doesn't play fair. I've seen the computer put up a tough battle AND play fair in the Super14 campaign that I undertook. I don't know why it's just being cheap now.
Am I doing something wrong?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Mo:
The bar above the ruck is opposite from what I can tell. It's counter-intuative but just think opposite.

The only time I run forward is if I have men in support or I'm willing to lose the ball but gain possession with the chance of a try. Also you need to press the A button to have your men protect the ball. I don't remember what that tactic is called but it's vital for possession.

I found out that momentum has a lot to do with possession. Do everything you can to shift momentum in your favor. Usually that means putting together a ball hogging drive.

I'm not seeing the problems you are having but I never played in the final. I play on elite because pro was too easy. We are talking 50-10 easy.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:What view are you cats using? Like Z, I'm having more luck after changing to Classic from Side.

Take care,
PK
Side is the view I've always used, even 2 years ago. I'll only play side, like Tjung says, it just flows better. Sure drop kicks from anything beyond the 22m line are not possible. But it is still better.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I always play behind views in football and hockey games, so I guess that's why the Classic cam feels more natural and comfortable to me. Then again, I play the Wide side view in WE 9.

Rugby 06 is a really fun game, either way. It's opening my eyes to a sport the way the original Colin McRae Rally did for me with rally back in 1998 on the PSX.

Now I'm a rally FREAK, so who knows, maybe Rugby 06 will turn me into a rucking zealot. :)

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I know it's been said many times here and at OS, but add me to the list of guys who are loving this game right now. I'm still foggy on the strategy and flow of rugby, but I'm learning.

Plus the game is such a cool change of pace from normal stick-and-ball games. Much like soccer, there's way more strategy to rugby than meets the eye. I'm now downloading some rugby torrents to learn more.

Mega fun game! Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Take care,
PK

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I have to give props to my 3 year old Brent. We've been playing the game together(same team) for about 12 games or so. Last night he decided to venture off on his own and play against the cpu. He took his favorite team, the All Blacks and defeated Russia 24-5 on the Club level difficulty. It was close during the first half but he opened it up in the 2nd half and when the game hit full time, he got the ball and kicked it out of bounds, threw his controller down and walked over and gave me a high 5!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Suuuuuure.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Suuuuuure.
he sure did, kid you not.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, I can't thank you guys enough for recommending Rugby 06. This is an amazingly fun video game.

I started playing this shortly around midnight last night after enjoying some TOCA 3 with the DSP crowd and WE 9 with JackB1. The next thing I know, the clock is reading 3 a.m. Seriously -- this game is that good.

Last night I reached an epiphany of sorts with Rugby 06. After doing some reading and taking up the EXCELLENT suggestion of watching some rugby matches, I'm finally starting to understand what I'm supposed to do on the pitch. And I'm also starting to understand the game controls better, especially when I have possession in a ruck and how to move it quickly from the ruck.

And it started to flow last night. I started to score tries and actually win matches with closely matched teams instead of relying on a New Zealand-Georgia match to boost my confidence. OK, I'm still on Club level, but I'm making progress.

EA has issued some pretty damn good games in the last 12 months. I have played and enjoyed Madden 06, NCAA Football 06, NCAA MVP Baseball 06 and NASCAR 06. But Rugby 06 tops them all.

Rugby 06 is EA Sports' best game of the last 12 months, period. If you're looking for a change of pace in your gaming for minimal coin ($30 new) and have an open mind toward learning the game, Rugby 06 will deliver. In spades.

Like tjung, Rugby 06 now is consuming a very healthy chunk of my offline gaming time. It's even taking time from TOCA 3, and that's no indictment of TOCA 3, another great game.

But Rugby 06 is a fantastic videogame. I only wish it was online!

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:But Rugby 06 is a fantastic videogame. I only wish it was online!
It would be great to see the strategies and styles being used by others, especially while in the exploratory stages of play.

When playing as fairly evenly-matched club teams, I tend to keep it close before blowing it late trying to force the ball downfield.

But as you said, a tremendous effort by EA.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I had an amazing Super 14 match last night. I was playing as the Waratahs against a team -- sorry, can't remember the name -- that was eight to 10 points weaker than me.

Anyways, I'm down 19-10 with about 12 minutes remaining. I score a try to pull to within 19-17 with about four minutes remaining. Then I gain control and fly down the field with a beautiful bit of recycling, if I might say, and score the winning try on the ABSOLUTE LAST PLAY OF THE MATCH. I kicked the conversion and won 24-19.

That was insane fun. I was dancing the jig and pumping my fist around my basement after that one!

Man, I LOVE this game.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I was up until 3:30 a.m. last night playing this game after our TOCA 3 night ended around 1 a.m.

I can't believe I'm having this much fun with Rugby 06 considering I knew almost nothing about the sport when I bought this game. Screw this being EA Sports' best game of the last 12 months -- this might be the most enjoyable game I've played, period, in the last 12 months. Only TOCA 3, Operation Flashpoint, NHL 2K6 and Football Manager 2006 can compare.

Hello, my name is Paul, and I'm a Rugby 06 addict ...

:)

Take care,
PK

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Great impressions guys...

What's the learning curve like with Rugby? I know practically nothing about the strategies of the sport but am really intrigued by all of the feedback here.