PE5/Winning Eleven 9 - I Can't Get Over How Good It Is!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PE5/Winning Eleven 9 - I Can't Get Over How Good It Is!

Post by JackB1 »

I have been playing lots of ProEvo 5 lately and the XBox demo for WE9 and I just can't believe how "lifelike" the gameplay is. As good as last year's game was.....this is even better. The AI is always unpredictable and they score goals and set up plays in ways that really fool you into thinking you are watching little human players on your screen. I finally "learned" how to play at 3 stars and it is so rewarding when you finally start putting the ball into the back of the net. I know this game has been praised before, but it really is the best sports videogame ever created. Hats off to Konami for doing it every year and making it better every year. You folks that have been holding out for Winning Eleven 9 are in for a real treat.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Agreed. I haven't really been able to get myself into anything else over the last 5 months. I just don't think there's any other game out there that offers such great ease of playability coupled with such rewarding depth and challenge.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I have PES5 for the PC, and even though I'm not a huge soccer nut like some of you, am enjoying it immensely.

And the biggest thing in my mind?

Not a single frickin' slider!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PE5/Winning Eleven 9 - I Can't Get Over How Good It Is!

Post by tjung0831 »

JackB1 wrote:I have been playing lots of ProEvo 5 lately and the XBox demo for WE9 and I just can't believe how "lifelike" the gameplay is. As good as last year's game was.....this is even better. The AI is always unpredictable and they score goals and set up plays in ways that really fool you into thinking you are watching little human players on your screen. I finally "learned" how to play at 3 stars and it is so rewarding when you finally start putting the ball into the back of the net. I know this game has been praised before, but it really is the best sports videogame ever created. Hats off to Konami for doing it every year and making it better every year. You folks that have been holding out for Winning Eleven 9 are in for a real treat.
Ok..i see that the demo is via the xbox magazine. Can you tell me more about the demo? How long of a game can i play? Only two teams to choose from? Appreciate any info you can provide.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

JackB1 wrote:I have been playing lots of ProEvo 5 lately and the XBox demo for WE9 and I just can't believe how "lifelike" the gameplay is. As good as last year's game was.....this is even better. The AI is always unpredictable and they score goals and set up plays in ways that really fool you into thinking you are watching little human players on your screen. I finally "learned" how to play at 3 stars and it is so rewarding when you finally start putting the ball into the back of the net. I know this game has been praised before, but it really is the best sports videogame ever created. Hats off to Konami for doing it every year and making it better every year. You folks that have been holding out for Winning Eleven 9 are in for a real treat.

Jack,

Thanks for the feedback. I got my OXM magazine yesterday and as murphys law would have it, all the demos work except WE9. I'm counting the days until this game is released.

I've heard that PES5 for consoles has league support. Does anyone know if this will carry over to the north american release of WE9 and how these leagues will work?

I'm counting the days until this game is released.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the feedback, Jack. WE 9 and TOCA 3 are the only Xbox games on my radar this year, as I hope to have a 360 by the time the football and hockey games drop in the late summer and early fall.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about your offer to play NHL 2K6 on XBL! Just been busy with other stuff lately. Hardly console gaming at all, offline or online. We'll hook up!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I can't wait for WE9I to be released, but judging by the posts at PESFan a significant number of people have quite big problems with how the computer AI plays on PES 5. Maybe some of these problems wil be tidied up for the American release, though.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

with the demo, you only get to play 1/2 (5 minutes I think) and can only choose 2 teams and 2 stadiums.

tjung0831 wrote:
Ok..i see that the demo is via the xbox magazine. Can you tell me more about the demo? How long of a game can i play? Only two teams to choose from? Appreciate any info you can provide.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I think those people are nuts or nitpickers. The AI plays an AMAZING game of soccer. What were the complaints?

Feanor wrote: judging by the posts at PESFan a significant number of people have quite big problems with how the computer AI plays on PES 5.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Have a read of this thread. You will have to sign up for the PESFan forums, but it's well worth being a member there. (It's free, of course.)

http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/showthre ... did=103967

Here's a quote from one of the mods who posted on that thread. I've only played PES 5 on the PSP so I don't know enough about the console/PC versions to agree/disagree with this quote. I'm just putting it out there so American football fans can go into WE9I knowing not everyone loves everything about it:

"Agree with most of the points in here. The game is not that different to previous PES, and as a result it's just a pretty dull experience. There's nothing new aside from some fairly minor gameplay tweaks (harder to turn, slower gameplay, different tackling).

It took me a week to master the differences between pes4 and pes5, i'd won everything on the game within another 3 weeks. In previous PES it was so addictive i would play all year round, but i haven't touched this one since october.

It's a lazy, half-assed effort that looks like it took about 2 months worth of Konami's time to put together. No new game modes, no changes to the old game modes, no more teams, only slightly tweaked gameplay, and badly updated stats/players/squads.

I've been playing other games since then, ones where a bit of effort is actually put into producing something worthy of my £20. Konami need to get the finger out big time because the PES series is just treading water these days. So yeah, 7/10 is probably about right for this, it's a good game, but then it was a good game 4 years ago and v. little has changed since then. Don't kid yourselves, there's very little 'Evolution' in the series these days..."

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

I can't believe it's coming out in only three weeks!!
It will be so much fun to finally be able to play this game on XBL with you fellas.
Looking forward to it, big time. Playing WE over XBL is probably the culmination of my gaming life. I'm not a huge gamer, so this is an easy call.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

mobiggins wrote:I can't believe it's coming out in only three weeks!!
It will be so much fun to finally be able to play this game on XBL with you fellas.
Looking forward to it, big time. Playing WE over XBL is probably the culmination of my gaming life. I'm not a huge gamer, so this is an easy call.
Im right there with ya...Time to dust off the box...

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Jack. WE 9 and TOCA 3 are the only Xbox games on my radar this year, as I hope to have a 360 by the time the football and hockey games drop in the late summer and early fall.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about your offer to play NHL 2K6 on XBL! Just been busy with other stuff lately. Hardly console gaming at all, offline or online. We'll hook up!

Take care,
PK

HEY PK!! Dont forget, I want to take you on in NHL 2K6 on the OLD X Box live as well! hehe

Just gimme a night Bro.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Feanor wrote:Have a read of this thread. You will have to sign up for the PESFan forums, but it's well worth being a member there. (It's free, of course.)

http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/showthre ... did=103967

Here's a quote from one of the mods who posted on that thread. I've only played PES 5 on the PSP so I don't know enough about the console/PC versions to agree/disagree with this quote. I'm just putting it out there so American football fans can go into WE9I knowing not everyone loves everything about it:

"Agree with most of the points in here. The game is not that different to previous PES, and as a result it's just a pretty dull experience. There's nothing new aside from some fairly minor gameplay tweaks (harder to turn, slower gameplay, different tackling).

It took me a week to master the differences between pes4 and pes5, i'd won everything on the game within another 3 weeks. In previous PES it was so addictive i would play all year round, but i haven't touched this one since october.

It's a lazy, half-assed effort that looks like it took about 2 months worth of Konami's time to put together. No new game modes, no changes to the old game modes, no more teams, only slightly tweaked gameplay, and badly updated stats/players/squads.

I've been playing other games since then, ones where a bit of effort is actually put into producing something worthy of my £20. Konami need to get the finger out big time because the PES series is just treading water these days. So yeah, 7/10 is probably about right for this, it's a good game, but then it was a good game 4 years ago and v. little has changed since then. Don't kid yourselves, there's very little 'Evolution' in the series these days..."
PESFan is a great resource but the commentary can get a little silly. It's just a different population altogether. My impression is that it's mostly younger kids who play the game way too much and then b*tch about how they have mastered the 6-star level and win every game 12-0. Or compalin that (Insert Player) has the wrong color cleats, etc.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I have been playing this game for the past 5 or so years and believe me......nobody here on this board will be disappointed with the game.
Some are saying that 6 stars is easier than 3 stars. If that is a glitch, it's an easy fix......PLAY ON 3 STARS!!!! The actual gameplay on the field is stellar.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

5 star actually plays a really solid game...you've gotta be smart and it's tough, but it's solid. My little bits of gametime lately have been between WE9-J League and CH 2K6. Can't wait for the earlier version (WE9) to come out here though....can finally play online. (Though I'll have to prob. get used to the XBox controls.)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

It should be XBL Heaven when WE9 comes out!

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Jared wrote:5 star actually plays a really solid game...you've gotta be smart and it's tough, but it's solid. My little bits of gametime lately have been between WE9-J League and CH 2K6. Can't wait for the earlier version (WE9) to come out here though....can finally play online. (Though I'll have to prob. get used to the XBox controls.)
The Dreambox converter from www.play-asia.com is worth getting. It will let you use your PS2 or PS1 Dual Shock to play Xbox games like WE9I. I got mine in June last year and it's been worth its weight in gold to me. For only $16 including postage, it's a must have.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2a- ... 0-m0l.html

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Feanor wrote:
Jared wrote:5 star actually plays a really solid game...you've gotta be smart and it's tough, but it's solid. My little bits of gametime lately have been between WE9-J League and CH 2K6. Can't wait for the earlier version (WE9) to come out here though....can finally play online. (Though I'll have to prob. get used to the XBox controls.)
The Dreambox converter from www.play-asia.com is worth getting. It will let you use your PS2 or PS1 Dual Shock to play Xbox games like WE9I. I got mine in June last year and it's been worth its weight in gold to me. For only $16 including postage, it's a must have.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2a- ... 0-m0l.html
Just to confirm (I believe you recommended this converter in another thread or forum)....Is the PS1 or PS2 controller the better route to go? I remember something about having to be careful the way you setup the ps2 one before playing WE.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Yeah, I pimp the Dreambox on every soccer gaming thread. :) But only because it deserves it.

A PS1 controller is better if you have one, but a PS2 controller should work well. You just have to press the ANALOG button on the controller as soon as possible after you turn on your Xbox. And that's an easy habit to get into. If you wait for the ANALOG light to come on by itself, then you'll have button lag.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

mobiggins wrote:I can't believe it's coming out in only three weeks!!
Luc,
Do you still have a PS2?

I'm seriously considering buying a second XBOX to play both WE9 (US) & TOCA 3 on XBL - I got kicked off XBL for modding my 'box....even though I bought my games AND paid for 1+ year of XBL service (I only got to use 5 months of it).

Of course, I still have a PS2 and I'll be able to play WE9 on the pee-ess-too but seems like most people here use XBL.

Ah, what a dilemma!

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

Macca,

At least two of us will be online with WE9 on the PS2. We'll have a ladder over at SGN and we may be doing an honor league again, this time setting it around World Cup.

Ted
Hating and Insurging since '85.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Just about everybody says PES 5 online is better and less laggy on the PS2 than it is on Xbox Live. But who knows if it will be the same for WE9I.

I need to buy a new Xbox in time for WE9I as my old one doesn't read DVDs any more. So there's a big hole in my TV cabinet that a cat just can't fill. :)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/C ... 941c2d.jpg

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

I still have a ps2 but I've never gone online with it.
I'll probably spring for a ps2 copy as well if I can play you guys in it.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

WE 9 release date

Post by FifaInspected »

Hey guys.

Last week gamestop told me the WE 9 would be released on 2/7. Now Best Buy is showing it as a March Release. Can anyone confirm what date is correct?

I'll not be happy if we need to tack on another month of waiting.