Soccer thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:I thought the goal towards the end should have counted as the pass clearly hits one of the D-man but the ref call it offsides?!?!?!. Even the linesman thought he was onside.
I can't even talk about it I'm so bitter!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I thought the Canadian goal clearly should've counted. The player was onside when the pass was struck, so if it was a deflection of a defender he was onside, and if it was deemed a backpass then it doesn't matter anyway. Granted, the fact that the US had to deal with 4 minutes of stoppage with 10 players were two other calls that I disagree with as well.

I also lay the blame squarely on Bob Bradley for Canada even getting back into the match. After the Donovan whiff and Hume coming into the match, the US was looking tired and their play in the attacking half was becoming increasingly ragged. The situation screamed for a sub or two to get some momentum back and change the attacking look, yet Bradley sat on his hands and didn't make any subs until the 80th minute, by which time Canada already got one back.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

about time the US got a bad call to go their way.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote:I thought the Canadian goal clearly should've counted. The player was onside when the pass was struck, so if it was a deflection of a defender he was onside, and if it was deemed a backpass then it doesn't matter anyway. Granted, the fact that the US had to deal with 4 minutes of stoppage with 10 players were two other calls that I disagree with as well.

I also lay the blame squarely on Bob Bradley for Canada even getting back into the match. After the Donovan whiff and Hume coming into the match, the US was looking tired and their play in the attacking half was becoming increasingly ragged. The situation screamed for a sub or two to get some momentum back and change the attacking look, yet Bradley sat on his hands and didn't make any subs until the 80th minute, by which time Canada already got one back.
Agree about Bradley, I was screaming for TT, Mapp...anyone. It's tough to watch this relatively young squad find its legs, because they don't seem to be playing up to their potential. They just can't put anyone away, and the back 4 still scares the pants off of me.

I understand that the competition is improving, but they seem to be gaining on us rather than the US improving at a similar rate.

Oh, and when is a GK gonna wise up to Donovan's spot kicks? He's played every PK withing 1' of dead center LOL
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Naples39 wrote:The situation screamed for a sub or two to get some momentum back and change the attacking look, yet Bradley sat on his hands and didn't make any subs until the 80th minute, by which time Canada already got one back.
Sure sounds like Bradley! At least he did make a sub in the 80th minute instead of waiting until the next game.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Such grumbles after a win, good lord!!

We hate Mexico more than you, dooo dah, dooooo dah!!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

fsquid wrote:Such grumbles after a win, good lord!!
Well, it was a game we should have put beyond reach in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half when we were dominant, and it was a game which in the end should have gone into ET but for a bad offside call (not the first bad offside call in this tournament, I mean it is CONCACAF after all), so it's still frustrating even though we won.
fsquid wrote:We hate Mexico more than you, dooo dah, dooooo dah!!
And Mexico were lucky as hell to get through Guadaloupe. It was an amazing strike, the goal, but they are having nothing but problems finding the target despite all kinds of dangerous chances, and are not very solid at the back. Please do not let Blanco and Bobo be on the field at the same time on Sunday! When those two have been on the pitch together in the last two games, Mexico has really come to life.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fsquid wrote:Such grumbles after a win, good lord!!

We hate Mexico more than you, dooo dah, dooooo dah!!
They shouldn't. The ref was Mexican.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

fanatic wrote:
10spro wrote:I thought the goal towards the end should have counted as the pass clearly hits one of the D-man but the ref call it offsides?!?!?!. Even the linesman thought he was onside.
I can't even talk about it I'm so bitter!
I don't blame you. OTOH it's been entertaining listening to World Soccer Daily today, as dozens of folks from the 51st state are calling to complain "aboot" the call :)

Getting back to the US, when is Bradley going to stop wasting minutes on Eddie Johnson? He's been a disaster. We get it, he's fast. He's been an absolute empty shirt, and his lack of savvy at handling the offside trap is jaw dropping. Get him out.

Oh, and someone tell Landycakes to cut the s*** and take the damn PK! Landy, if you need to pray prior to shooting, let me suggest that you spend more time practicing and less time polishing your enormous shiny forehead.

Edit: Henry to Barca looks done.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 22&cc=5901

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah the move to Barcelona by T. Henry is for four years, but with Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Lionel Messi, someone has to leave the club. My guess would be Eto'o.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Copa America roster is out and it isn't pretty. Heck, I'm not even posting it.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

They will perform better than the Gold Cup squad!
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'll post it:
  • U.S. Men's National Team
    2007 Copa America Roster By Position

Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
    Defenders (8 ) – Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)
    Midfielders (8 ) – Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United)
    Forwards (4) – Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)
Ouchies. Boswell, Ok whatever, but Drew Moor? Heath Pearce? Marvell Wynne, are you joking? EJ remains and is one of the more experienced players up front. Who's running the show? Lee Nguyen? Klijestan? Ben freaking Olsen? Just a bunch of central midfeilders and questionable forwards, with a questionable D-line. No creative force among any of the mids or forwards, no one who can create. I guess he's trying to give a bunch of guys a 'second chance,' like Gaven and Gomez?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote:I'll post it:
  • U.S. Men's National Team
    2007 Copa America Roster By Position

Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
    Defenders (8 ) – Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)
    Midfielders (8 ) – Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United)
    Forwards (4) – Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)
Ouchies. Boswell, Ok whatever, but Drew Moor? Heath Pearce? Marvell Wynne, are you joking? EJ remains and is one of the more experienced players up front. Who's running the show? Lee Nguyen? Klijestan? Ben freaking Olsen? Just a bunch of central midfeilders and questionable forwards, with a questionable D-line. No creative force among any of the mids or forwards, no one who can create. I guess he's trying to give a bunch of guys a 'second chance,' like Gaven and Gomez?
Not to plagiarize Bill Simmons, but I think I just threw up in my mouth. That roster is a joke.

OTOH, they just set the bar for themselves even lower.

Hopefully Mapp can get a game, as he doesn't see a minute on the "A" squad with DMB there. He can be a creative force, but only from the wing. The really are lacking a classic playmaker on that roster.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

It's got to be Berkman and Mapp as the main forces in the mids, with Ben f***in Olsen and Feilhaber in the back of the Bradley box. Or does Beckerman push Feilhaber or Olsen aside, leaving room for Klijstan on the right? Maybe that's more likely, isn't Beckerman a central type? Twellman needs to step up, he keeps getting opportunities, and looking at the forward situation, we will need him to produce into qualifying. This group means it's that much easier to keep him in and give hiim even more chances to find his missing stroke. Maybe the impossible can happen and Twellman and Johnson can become a deadly pair. Or maybe Mapp plays forward? Or Nguyen?

Did anyone see the roster for Argentina, the team we face next Thursday? I'm very afraid.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Zeppo wrote:Did anyone see the roster for Argentina, the team we face next Thursday? I'm very afraid.
Lambs to the slaughter.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Zeppo wrote: Did anyone see the roster for Argentina, the team we face next Thursday? I'm very afraid.
Well, there are a lot of young players coming in under the tutelage of Alfio Basile. He's given priority to a lot of youngsters playing still in Argentina while only recalling a few internationals. J. Riquelme has changed his mind about playing for the National team and it's a no brainer that he will be the latest addition to the team. Other Internationals that you may know are, Tevez, Messi, Zanetti, Veron.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Anyone think it is hilarious that Barca paid 2 million pounds less than what Charlton want for Bent?

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Henry, Eto'o, Ronaldinho & Messi on the same team............f u uckkkk (that is of course if Eto'o doesn't leave).

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

fsquid wrote:Anyone think it is hilarious that Barca paid 2 million pounds less than what Charlton want for Bent?
Typical inflation for English players (of course, I do realize Bent is younger, but still). I heard West Ham wanted to pay Everton a similar amount for Andy Johnson.......absolute madness.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Macca00 wrote:
fsquid wrote:Anyone think it is hilarious that Barca paid 2 million pounds less than what Charlton want for Bent?
Typical inflation for English players (of course, I do realize Bent is younger, but still). I heard West Ham wanted to pay Everton a similar amount for Andy Johnson.......absolute madness.
It's why these teams never can buy any support players they waste huge money on above average players and have nothing left over.

One session of Football Manager will teach them that.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Who knew? Turns out I can watch the internal video feed for the U-20s v. Chile (send-off match as they head to Montreal) thanks to US Soccer's website's 'Match Access.' It's only a 3" window, but it's nice to see Jozy and Adu et al. Adu scored a nice goal thanks to some dominant work by Jozy, of course. The kid is a load. I hope to see my first glimpse of Gabi Ferarri as well. Apparently he's pretty big in stature as well.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

U-20 world cup will be on ESPNU.

kerowack
Mario Mendoza

Post by kerowack »

Don't forget the game on at 3 today (FSC).

Despite the controversy at the end of the Can/USA match, it should be worth watching.

On another note, I HATE that Henry is leaving. I don't watch the Spanish League and even as a Westham supporter (at least for EPL. RBNY for the win!), it's nice to see skill like that in the EPL. Plus, if I have to see one more Barca jersey....

EVERYBODY loves Barca...WE GET IT!
briangauler at OS

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

fsquid wrote:U-20 world cup will be on ESPNU.
And also the Univision family as well, although I don't think the US opener against S. Korea will be televised.