Soccer thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Don't worry, once Simek is handed the RB spot for good, the right side will be on complete lockdown.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote: Btw, I still don't know what Gooch's first yellow was even for. Anyone catch that. Ruiz fouled him, USA gets a FK, yet Gooch picks up a yellow?

Man I hate the Guats.
He kicked out at Ruiz from the ground and showed his studs. That monster is brain dead.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I didn't get the chance to see the Guat game, but from my perspective, any result that gets us the 3 pts in the Gold Cup or qualifying is a good result. You guys who saw the game seem to indicate that it was the same old, same old as far as the officiating, and so that along with the typical Guat strategy of 9 men + the keeper in the box, Ruiz all alone up front, 1-0 is plenty good enough for me. I don't need style points in these competitive games against regional opponents; I just need a US-Mexico final, so however we get there, it works.

Gooch's stock really seems to be going down, and I just have no idea wtf is happening with that guy. Boca is generally solid, in my view, and while he has had a few shaky games, I'm pretty sure Bradley trusts him to the end. I'm happy to see the Bradley-Feilhaber midfield continue into games that matter, and I think those two youngsters will only get better as we head towards qualifying next year and the year after.

I figure it was the classic Bradley box in the mids? So, where did that put Donovan? Did he do anything useful out on the right? I thought it was very telling that in the friendly (and Bradley talked about this in the post-game interviews) they came out with a real 4-3-3 (or a 4-3-2-1, I guess), and after only 20 minutes, Bradley ordered it back to his comfortable box in the middle and Dempsey up front. He just can't seem to get away from those 2 central mids, and I find that a bit surprising when we're going up against the full-force bunker strategy of Guatemala, which didn't produce a damn thing in the friendly we played a few weeks ago agianst them.

And so with all that in mind, 1-0 is plenty enough for me. Like I said, it's the same 3 pts as 5-0 victory would have gotten. The group stage of theis tourney is very low-stress, anyway, with just about everyone getting though, so it's not that huge a deal. But I'm not surprised to see this kind of result with a Bradley team, nor the complaints. It is Bradley, after all, and he's got no Kubic or Nowak on the pitch to make him look really smart. The one thing he does seem to guarantee is that his team will be on the same page as each other, and will play with tons of heart all the time. That's at least worth something.

Oh, and Rob, as to Angel, I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say he's a man amongst boys. Arena has put together a solid team that is built to score goals (he didn't do much at all at the defenseive end, except get Watterus who is now hurt), and they were playing well and scoring goals before Angel came in. I don't really think Angel would have the same success so quickly on most of the other teams in the MLS. RBNY is built perfectly for him to come in and do well. That said, I do think he's the best striker in the league right now, and I do think, judging by his salary relative to the rest of the league, that is as it should be. But to say you could plug him into any team in the league and he would have the same success, I think, neglects how well the rest of the offensive players had been playing together before he came. His attitude and everything else outside of his raw ability are also very key to what makes him the perfect DP-type player. I do hope other teams will take notice, however, and look harder for those in Europe who are in their early 30s (more like the Donadoni model than the Lothar model) and don't mind a bit of a pay cut to try to make this thing grow here in the States.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote: And so with all that in mind, 1-0 is plenty enough for me. Like I said, it's the same 3 pts as 5-0 victory would have gotten. The group stage of theis tourney is very low-stress, anyway, with just about everyone getting though, so it's not that huge a deal. But I'm not surprised to see this kind of result with a Bradley team, nor the complaints. It is Bradley, after all, and he's got no Kubic or Nowak on the pitch to make him look really smart. The one thing he does seem to guarantee is that his team will be on the same page as each other, and will play with tons of heart all the time. That's at least worth something.
Actually, your last point was precisely the problem. The team was totally disjointed and clearly intimidated in the second half. Some of the players reacted manically to the pressure and the intensity, others became incredibly passive, and the fluiditiy and teamwork of the first half disappeared completely. It was quite troubling to see players who, despite their youth, should have technique and fitness to fall back on simply fall apart in a frenzy of bad passing, poor marking and timid attacking play.

Donovan did indeed play out on the right, and had an ok game. He ran hard and sent in a few nice crosses, but never had the space to really get his hips turned and run at guys.

I'm a huge Bocanegra fan, but he had a dreadful game. Having seen DeMerit a fair bit in the Premiership, I really do feel that he'd be a better option at center half than Boca at this point.

The midfield really missed Mastroeni. I think Rico Clark would've been outstanding in this game, as he could've gone toe-to-toe with their bruisers in the second half.

Hopefully this sort of game is a crucible that will toughen the kids up, because if that same squad plays that way against Mexico in Soldier Field, where there will be 50,000 screaming fans of El Tri, it's going to be ugly.
Last edited by RobVarak on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A. Robben is going nowhere after all. Despite some recent rumors, he's set to sign a five year deal back with Chelsea.

It'a amazing what time can do for Becks. He's considered a 'must' now for the English team as they play the qualies for Euro 08. With his recent good play in Real, he was called back to the National team and has a good chance of playing one more WC for his country.

As England competes for Euro 08, Beckham's debut in MLS may be delayed. He's also being a poster boy for England's bid in 2018 for the WC.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Simek at right back today.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

fsquid wrote:FIFA bans high altitude matches.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 44,00.html
Brazil and Argentina want to breeze through their qualifiers. Stupid move some of these player's are sissies.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Who wins La Liga today? CAn't wait to watch this!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fsquid wrote:Who wins La Liga today? CAn't wait to watch this!
Ditto. I've been following ther Spanish league once the Premiership had an obvious winner some two months before the season ended. At La Liga it's been a see-saw battle and it's Becks last appearance too with Real. R. Carlos is also leaving, we'll see if they get the title.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A fitting end for Beckham's career in Spain. He leaves with La Liga's championship, one of the most entertaining & close races that I can remember in any soccer league. Even though many people will remember this Liga as the one that Barcelona let slip sway especially with their ridicolous last minutes lack of concentration in the past dozen games, in contrast to Real's key last minute heroics during the last 10 games of the season. They had something that Barca lacked: Grit and heart.

I don't think Eto'o will continue, Saviola will be leaving, and many other changes are expected. Now Beckham can concentrate for his country during the Euro Cup and be ready for MLS.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Alexi Lalas bursts a gasket:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 72,00.html

He actually makes a few good points, but if he thinks MLS isn't second rate when compared to the Premiership and larger continental leagues it is he who needs his eyes checked.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, it'll be a long while MLS comes to the level of Premiership but having said that, English soccer is not going thru a good moment as everyone wants to know more about the 'Bung enquiry' and sooner or later some heads are going to roll.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I'm guessing that Lalas knows this isn't true, but he's trying to get some more hype for MLS. And it's working...this article was on the front page of ESPN today.

And hey...who's excited about Mexico-Guadeloupe! OK...maybe I'm the only one. But I would be happy to see Guadeloupe give the Mexicans trouble. US-Canada should be a competitive match, but as long as the US finishes (please sit Twellman for this game), we should be fine.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Alexi Lalas is high. Last time I checked, three English clubs were in the Final Four of the Champions League this year.

The MLS champion wouldn't even get out of the qualifier with all of the champions of the Polish, Bulgaria and Romanian leagues.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

While I'm in no way rooting for Mexico, I do have two tickets to the Final on Sunday. So let's just say that I'm not going to get too much behind the minnows in that semi-final :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:While I'm in no way rooting for Mexico, I do have two tickets to the Final on Sunday. So let's just say that I'm not going to get too much behind the minnows in that semi-final :)
C'mon, who doesn't like to see the 'bunker and hack' technique CONCACAF teams have been using against the US recently. Evidently Alexi Lalas finds it more exciting than the premiership!

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

pk500 wrote:Alexi Lalas is high. Last time I checked, three English clubs were in the Final Four of the Champions League this year.

The MLS champion wouldn't even get out of the qualifier with all of the champions of the Polish, Bulgaria and Romanian leagues.

Take care,
PK
He might be wrong but MLS needs him as a spokesman. Better than some suit who would just sell the talent to make a profit.

At least he is sticking up for the MLS and the decision to bring Becks to LA.

Plus that article shows just how conceded the english press are. There was a lot of that journalists opinion in that peice.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I have no problem with what Lalas is doing at all.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

fsquid wrote:I have no problem with what Lalas is doing at all.
That's only because there is a 3,000 mile buffer between what he is doing and you. The man is an ass, period. He did a handful of good things here, such as banning the horrendous plastic horns, but he's way over his head and seems to enjoy it there. I wouldn't trust that he actually believes anything he says ever, even when he's ordering dinner, so surely with this he is trying to make a splash, manipulate the media as best he can, and attract some attention.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote:
fsquid wrote:I have no problem with what Lalas is doing at all.
That's only because there is a 3,000 mile buffer between what he is doing and you. The man is an ass, period. He did a handful of good things here, such as banning the horrendous plastic horns, but he's way over his head and seems to enjoy it there. I wouldn't trust that he actually believes anything he says ever, even when he's ordering dinner, so surely with this he is trying to make a splash, manipulate the media as best he can, and attract some attention.
He does strike me as having a major case of the Isaiahs. But OTOH I will give him a few points for being one of the few people involved in MLS or US Soccer with a pulse and some media sense.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

He's no Isiah.

He's sticking up for the MLS. Isiah just sticks up for himself and not even the team.

Anyway, he's good for the MLS. Maybe this type of mentality that the MLS isn't half bad will actually spread on to the pitch. Because while I applaud Lalas for saying what he did. The MLS is terrible to watch.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Lalas just guaranteed that Sky Sports will show some of Beckham's games in England. IF simply for people to watch and call Lalas a fecking idiot.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Damn, that was a bit dramatic downt he stretch, no? I can't believe that we couldn't kill off that game at 2-0, but that's been the story every single game. No Bradley or Hejduk for the final is a bit of a blow, epecially because I was looking forward to seeing the kid in person.

Can't wait for the final. That atmosphere is going to be incredible!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I thought the goal towards the end should have counted as the pass clearly hits one of the D-man but the ref call it offsides?!?!?!. Even the linesman thought he was onside.