Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Miller will be alright. He had a crapper against Philly and bounced back and then allowed six in game 1 versus Ottawa before playing like Patrick Roy the rest of the series. IMO, they will need him to steal at least one game if they are going to beat the Canes. The injuries are really starting to mount for the Sabres--Conolly, Kalinin, and Numinen. If they could get one or two of these guys back, I'd feel a lot better.

Nothing beats the old Aud. I saw about 20 playoff games in that building, it was awesome. If you sat up in the "oranges", which I usually did, it was so steep you felt like you were falling onto the ice--great atmosphere. And they sold 32 oz beers...the good old days...

Here's a link speculating as to what the proposed "new" unis for the Sabres will look like:

http://www.celsiusdesign.net/sabres/jerseys.html

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

CAR-BUF is going to be a great series. Better than the Western Conference finals which is being dominated by one man – goalie Dwayne Roloson. He has single-handedly allowed the Edmonton Oilers a chance to blow Anaheim out off the ice in a four-game sweep in its own building, beginning with Game 3 tonight.

Will it happen? Maybe not, as I think the Ducks do not deserve to be 0-2 but that's what a HOT playoff goalie does to a team. It brings a confidence to a level where you haven't seen it before. Heck, coach MacT even admitted that during the regular season they never had this winning streak they have now nor the confidence. Of course they didn't have Rollie then but even so at the end of the trading deadline he looked like a washed out goalie too.

Going back to CAR-BUF at the end of this series, I am giving a slight edge to the Hurricanes . There was no argument that the Canes came into the series with an edge in experience. Only two Sabres have ever been to the Stanley Cup finals, while five Hurricanes have been twice.

G. Wesley waited for this moment longer than any of his peers and he was great. Both goalies are rookies, it's tough to pick the better guy now, but R. Miller will bounce back as he's done it before.

Oilers-Canes in the finals.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:Edmonton - current alternate replaced with 80's vintage blue jersey
Thank God. I have despised the Oilers' third jersey from the moment I first saw it.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

pk500 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:Edmonton - current alternate replaced with 80's vintage blue jersey
Thank God. I have despised the Oilers' third jersey from the moment I first saw it.

Take care,
PK
I actually think it's pretty cool looking. :oops:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Scoop:

You've got to understand where I'm coming from. I've been an Oilers' fan since the 1982-83 season, and I still wear an Oilers' white jersey with the faded No. 99 on the back and arms and KELLY sewn on the back that I bought in 1984.

I'm old-school when it comes to the Oil's unis, and I'm grateful that their home and away jerseys haven't changed that much other than a darker shade of blue and some small styling changes to the outline of the logo since they joined the NHL in 1979.

It's a lot like Da Bears. I'm sure you wouldn't be too hip on a third Bears' jersey that looked nothing like the current unis or had zero connection to the team's storied past. I would love it if the Bills returned to the red standing buffalo on a white helmet.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote: I'm old-school when it comes to the Oil's unis, and I'm grateful that their home and away jerseys haven't changed that much other than a darker shade of blue and some small styling changes to the outline of the logo since they joined the NHL in 1979.

It's a lot like Da Bears. I'm sure you wouldn't be too hip on a third Bears' jersey that looked nothing like the current unis or had zero connection to the team's storied past. I would love it if the Bills returned to the red standing buffalo on a white helmet.

Take care,
PK
Im there with you. I was pissed when the Rams changed unis...Not that I dislike the new look ...but...

I may be alone but I prefered the bana yello and roya blue look of My youth...also adding to the unhappiness that they had just one the SB in those unis.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am a bit puzzled by the new numbers that B. Richards just got. Sure he's probably one of the better playmakers for Tampa but with his 5 year deal worth about 7.8 million a year, it's just an eye opener.

Talking to my puckheads experts, we all agreed that next years' salary cap will be around 44 million, that is a nice 4 to 6 million dollar increase depending where it'll end.

That means one of the better players in Tampa will be moved this year (ST Louis?) as they still have a few UFA, not to mention a search for better goalie.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Actually, i like the Oiler's 3rd jersey. (Did you know it was designed by Todd Mcfarlane?)

It's kinda of an impressionistic look at the team. The gears for the Oil fields around, with the 5 screws, one for each Cup they won..........

Shame to see it go.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Gangrel wrote:Actually, i like the Oiler's 3rd jersey. (Did you know it was designed by Todd Mcfarlane?)

It's kinda of an impressionistic look at the team. The gears for the Oil fields around, with the 5 screws, one for each Cup they won..........

Shame to see it go.
If you guys want to see a bad jersey, you should see what the Blues alternate jersey was going to be back in 1995. I'll see if I can find a picture of it but it was so hideous that Mike Keenan told the front office that "no team of his will ever take the ice wearing that jersey". It was never ever worn at anytime. It was Blue, yellow, and red, and had trumpets and little tiny notes all over it.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Wow, just wow..... I finally have an experience that matches the hair on my neck sticking up feeling of the All Star Game anthem in Chicago Stadium during the Gulf War with all the cheering.....

The Edmonton fans cheered the *entire* US anthem, and then were singing the Canadian one so loudly that the singer just gave up 1/3 of the way through, held his mike in the air, and the crowd sang the rest of the anthem themselves..........

amazing.

wabash97
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by wabash97 »

Jaysus, what's happening in the Edmonton game? I work at a newspaper, and every wire photo moved in the past 15 minutes is of a new pair of Ducks and Oilers pairing up, flying all over the ice.

What heppen?

B

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

There seems to be a trend going here. Peca scores after a HUGE save by Roloson. He's hot, no goals in the last 6 periods at home.

This game is over folks, what remains to be seen is if Rollie can keep the goose egg going.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Not so fast.... 4-2 now. Selanne just scored a nice one. The Oil need to get some momentum back!

Edit:

Wow, 4-3 now. I hope the Oil just hang on now and regroup for the next one!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

What a game.....Cmon Oilers Hold!!!!!!!!!!...

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess they will....opposite of a jinx :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Not so fast....5-4...coooool... :D

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Great period!

Great game!

GO OILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Roli was human tonight, but the Oil still get the win! Very cool.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Dave wrote:Roli was human tonight, but the Oil still get the win! Very cool.
Well, most of the goals were deflections, so they weren't really his fault. I think the Selanne goal and Odonnel's from the point were the only ones that didn't hit off someone...........

I was crapping bricks tho the last few seconds, especially when Penner had the puck jump over his stick while he was right on the doorstep!

I hope they calm down and regroup for the next one and take it!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And let's face it, his concentration did wane a bit after the score was 4-0. It's normal human reaction. What counts though is that they are a game away from the finals.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Here's a link speculating as to what the proposed "new" unis for the Sabres will look like:

http://www.celsiusdesign.net/sabres/jerseys.html
I saw those jerseys a few years ago. I think they have been talking about switching back to the blue and gold for a while now. Hopefully it will happen soon because the current sweaters suck.

As far as the game...WOOHOO! I take such joy in watching the Ducks lose. Here's to a sweep!
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What a crazy game last night. You knew it was going to be different when there were two fights in the first five minutes or so. Good to see my boy Laraque destroy Fedoruk twice. Fedoruk has courage, but he doesn't have the skills to scrap with Georges.

That third period was insane. I was sh*tting bricks when it got to 5-4 late in the game and exhaled enough to blow down the wall of the apartment in which I'm staying once the game ended.

Pisani and Peca continue to be incredibly clutch during the postseason for the Oil. Even though the series is 3-0, the third period last night proved Anaheim has the offense to win any of the remaining games. So I'm sticking to the "one game at a time" cliche. Hell, I'll rewrite that cliche -- "one win at a time."

The Oil is 7-0 since I've been in Indy. I'm not going to go home!

GO OIL!

Take care,
PK

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

10spro wrote:I am a bit puzzled by the new numbers that B. Richards just got. Sure he's probably one of the better playmakers for Tampa but with his 5 year deal worth about 7.8 million a year, it's just an eye opener.
Marian Gaborik and his agent are cheering this deal, no doubt about it.

You know a team is cheap when they hit the local newspaper the day after this deal is announced and talk about how it isn't comparable to Gaborik since Richards won a Stanley Cup.

The Wild are the cheapest team in the league despite selling out every game. It sounds like the fans are onto them now.

Hopefully the Oil can close it out tomorrow.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

For you Oilers fans, hell, for all hockey fans. Great crowd last night, and a moving rendition of "'O Canada".

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sully wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk

For you Oilers fans, hell, for all hockey fans. Great crowd last night, and a moving rendition of "'O Canada".
Wonderful stuff, just let the crowd do the singing from now on.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The Ducks really showed some moxy at the end, but not enough to undue their quacky start. They have to cut down on their stupid penalties, especially when they got a PP going, which was offset twice in the last period yesterday. If they play like they did in the third, anything can happen in game 4 and they must take something positive out of this series: They managed to score 4 goals against Rollie and we all know how streaky he can be.

Although it just seems that nothing can go wrong in Oil country right now.