Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The Oilers have found Bryzgalov's only weakness -- his blocker side. Both Pronger and Pisani's goals were to the off the ice to the blocker side, unscreened. You're going to see a lot of shots to the blocker side from now on.

I'm not giddy yet. I remember that the Oil was down, 2-0, to San Jose and won four straight. It could happen to them, too. Still, what a gritty performance, especially when you consider Bergeron and Torres were out with the flu and Jason Smith was weakened by the flu. Further proof that this is a very deep team.

The Oilers have won six straight since I've been in Indy. I've joked to my friends here that I may never leave. :)

GO OIL!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:
The Oilers have won six straight since I've been in Indy. I've joked to my friends here that I may never leave. :)

GO OIL!

Take care,
PK
If you never leave, you're going to miss that Stanley Cup Parade in Downtown Buffalo. :P
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I think Roloson is being helped a lot by the D clearing the front of the net. It's very rare for him to be screened on many shots.

It also helps when the entire team is willing to sacrifice themselves to block shots. Staios too ANOTHER hard one (to his arm maybe?) and limped off the ice. That's at least the 3rd time this playoffs I've seen him give it all, including the one off his forehead.......

The man might have rubber poisioning now!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Gangrel wrote:I think Roloson is being helped a lot by the D clearing the front of the net. It's very rare for him to be screened on many shots.

It also helps when the entire team is willing to sacrifice themselves to block shots. Staios too ANOTHER hard one (to his arm maybe?) and limped off the ice. That's at least the 3rd time this playoffs I've seen him give it all, including the one off his forehead.......

The man might have rubber poisioning now!
With as many shots as Edmonton and Buffalo are blocking in the playoffs this year, a Stanley Cup Finals with those two teams might produce 50 total shots for the entire series.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I just found this stat that may make pk smile. The Ducks have not won at the Rexall center since 1999. That's a long time folks. But like you mentioned pk, I would rather be on a more cautious side, as I think ANA still has a lot left in the tank. I mean game two was very one sided and Rollie just stole that game.

All the grinding and hitting has to take a toll on you, and eventually the Oils will slow down. However being up 2-0 in the series and knowing that your goalie is HOT helps ease any pain. That S. Staios just leads in grit.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

10spro wrote: That S. Staios just leads in grit.
Yet another guy that my Blues gave up on.
Look at the former Blues in the conference finals.
Buffalo - Grier, Hecht, Fitzgerald
Carolina - Brind'Amour, Weight, Stillman
Edmonton - Pronger, Staios, Roloson(we had the goalie we needed all along and didn't know it)
Anaheim - Jason Marshall
Edmonton coach - Craigh MacTavish
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

tjung0831 wrote:
Edmonton - Pronger, Staios, Roloson(we had the goalie we needed all along and didn't know it)
Anaheim - Jason Marshall
No wonder your Blues suck. :wink:

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

10spro wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:
Anaheim - Jason Marshall
No wonder your Blues suck. :wink:
#1 overall pick in June(which we could trade for a ransom), and a ton of cap room! We could turn it around as soon as next season!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:I just found this stat that may make pk smile. The Ducks have not won at the Rexall center since 1999. That's a long time folks. But like you mentioned pk, I would rather be on a more cautious side, as I think ANA still has a lot left in the tank. I mean game two was very one sided and Rollie just stole that game.

All the grinding and hitting has to take a toll on you, and eventually the Oils will slow down. However being up 2-0 in the series and knowing that your goalie is HOT helps ease any pain. That S. Staios just leads in grit.
I'm also wary of the effect of the flu on the team. Torres and Bergeron were sidelined, and J. Smith and Peca were feeling the effects despite playing.

I'm trying to raise funds to send a case of Tamiflu to Alberta! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Feanor wrote:What are the Buffalo newspapers and websites saying about Connolly? Is he coming back anytime soon?
No one is saying much of anything. He did not make the flight to Carolina. Some people are speculating that the Sabres are being cautious and not letting him fly, and that he will play once the series returns to Buffalo for game 3. Personally, I think with his history of concussions, etc., he's done for the rest of the playoffs. Damm shame, the kid is a great player, very exciting to watch, and from all accounts a real nice guy.

My status? Tickets for games 3 and 6 in hand! :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Connolly also is a native of Baldwinsville, N.Y., a Syracuse suburb. His parents still live there. It's about 15 miles north of my house.

Even though I'm not a Sabres' fan, I'm a Connolly fan because of his local roots.

Take care,
PK

fightingcamel
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by fightingcamel »

4-3 Canes victory! Very good performance from Carolina. A couple of outstanding plays by Glen Wesley and Cam Ward.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

fightingcamel wrote:4-3 Canes victory! Very good performance from Carolina. A couple of outstanding plays by Glen Wesley and Cam Ward.
What and incredible play by Wesley...Good game...I agree with the goofs on OLN. This is going to be a great series.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Both teams are very evenly matched. I think during the regular season CAR has a game in their favour, but it's going to be an entertaining series.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It didn't take long for Marc Crawford to find a job as he's the new Kings' head coach.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The OLN analysts also are correct in that Buffalo needs Numminen back quickly. The Sabres will be hurting if they rotate five defensemen for the rest of the series, as the law of averages will catch up with Miller if he continues to see as much rubber as he did last night.

Now that Miller surrendered four goals in a game, including a softie, only Roli has resisted the law of averages so far among goalies left in the NHL playoffs. Long may that continue!

Take care,
PK

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Miller gave up four goals including a soft goal in game against the Flyers in Philadelphia, too, but he bounced right back in that series.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Feanor wrote:Miller gave up four goals including a soft goal in game against the Flyers in Philadelphia, too, but he bounced right back in that series.
Ward didnt set the world on fire last night either...16 save on 19 shots...The biggest Carolina save was made by Wesley...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

XXXIV wrote:
Feanor wrote:Miller gave up four goals including a soft goal in game against the Flyers in Philadelphia, too, but he bounced right back in that series.
Ward didnt set the world on fire last night either...16 save on 19 shots...The biggest Carolina save was made by Wesley...
Two of those goals were late, when Carolina led, 4-1. Ward was solid. It's pretty damn hard to stay focused and sharp when you face nine shots through the first two periods, and Ward did a good job of that.

Take care,
PK

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
Two of those goals were late, when Carolina led, 4-1. Ward was solid. It's pretty damn hard to stay focused and sharp when you face nine shots through the first two periods, and Ward did a good job of that.

Take care,
PK
True...but...

Im sure that he was trying to save them and they did end up on the scoreboard...What if Wesley doesnt make the save of the night? Would he have saved those late goals then?

My point was that I dont think he wasnt much better than Miller...Im sure he will bounce back as well ...

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Buffalo just didn't have it last night, they were due for a loss. Carolina wanted it more last night and they played a whale of a game.....no pun intended. They did a great job shutting down Buffalo's offensive game. That was the first playoff game where the Sabres just looked bad. Major credit to Carolina and their coaching staff. I believe Buffalo will rebound nicely at home in games 3 and 4, and Ruff will have the line matchups advantage.
One huge question remains though. Will the Canes win a game at HSBC?
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I still can't bring myself to call Buffalo's barn HSBC. It was sponsored by Marine Midland Bank -- which subsequently was bought by HSBC -- when it opened, so everyone called it the Marina. I still call it the Marina.

Hell, I only reconciled myself with Rexall Place this season for the Oilers. I still called it Northlands even though that hasn't been its name for at least five years or more. But "Rexall will be rockin'" has a nice ring to me, so I've made the mental switch. :)

Take care,
PK

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

pk500 wrote:I still can't bring myself to call Buffalo's barn HSBC. It was sponsored by Marine Midland Bank -- which subsequently was bought by HSBC -- when it opened, so everyone called it the Marina. I still call it the Marina.

Hell, I only reconciled myself with Rexall Place this season for the Oilers. I still called it Northlands even though that hasn't been its name for at least five years or more. But "Rexall will be rockin'" has a nice ring to me, so I've made the mental switch. :)

Take care,
PK
There's nothing wrong with that. I still refer to US Cellular Field as Comiskey Park. I doubt I'll ever call it US Cellular Field.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:I still can't bring myself to call Buffalo's barn HSBC. It was sponsored by Marine Midland Bank -- which subsequently was bought by HSBC -- when it opened, so everyone called it the Marina. I still call it the Marina.

Take care,
PK
Hell, I wish they were still playin at the Aud in Buffalo with the old blue and gold uni's. Speaking of uniform changes the following are on tap for next year.

Buffalo - going back to the Blue and Gold...possibly a navy blue. No word on what the logo will be hopefully something similar to the old one.

Washington - going back to the red, white, and blue next year, not sure on the logo at this point.

Anaheim - Complete change

Vancouver - current alternate replaced with 70's vintage blue jersey

Edmonton - current alternate replaced with 80's vintage blue jersey

Calgary - alternate discontinued

Boston - alternate replaced with 70's vintage black jersey.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

ScoopBrady wrote:
There's nothing wrong with that. I still refer to US Cellular Field as Comiskey Park. I doubt I'll ever call it US Cellular Field.
Ditto that...Unless Its by accident...