NBA 2K6 360 Impressons

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

webdanzer wrote:So, total n00b question, but what is the best way to defend drives to the basket in this game? A pal and I played online on the 360 last night, and drives and dunks seemed pretty easy to do. Add in the iso-motion stuff, and a huge % of points were scored in the paint.
You just gotta get in front of the guy...if you can't handle that, try the 2-3 zone. That should be a little better because you'll have help at the basket if your top guys get beaten off the dribble.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
webdanzer wrote:So, total n00b question, but what is the best way to defend drives to the basket in this game? A pal and I played online on the 360 last night, and drives and dunks seemed pretty easy to do. Add in the iso-motion stuff, and a huge % of points were scored in the paint.
You just gotta get in front of the guy...if you can't handle that, try the 2-3 zone. That should be a little better because you'll have help at the basket if your top guys get beaten off the dribble.
The zone is probably your best bet. You could always try hitting "X" to double the player with the ball. If you're playing against someone like a Kobe Bryant or Lebron James, that's a good way of slowing them down. However, you're opening yourself up with leaving a man open.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Cool, thanks guys. It was my first game, so I didn't want to give my first impressions too much weight. It just seemed like the offensive player had a lot more tools than the one on D, and I think I have to get used to a lack of a force field. (A good thing!)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Web, I'd also spend some time in the 24/7 mode if I was you. It's a great way of learning the intricacies of playing 1-on-1 defense. You'll get a better feel of how to bump to apply pressure and moving laterally to prevent getting burned. Getting better at that coupled with using your other players will help alleviate a lot of paint scoring.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

One other suggestion. I used to think when playing online, you just want to get a game in and play. A lot of people I've played in the past will make adjustments in the "coach settings" prior to the game. Since then, I've done the same. So, go ahead and increase the defensive pressure, lower the crash the boards to prevent fast breaks if you do desire. Additionally, change your defense to "tight" on the opponent's star player.

Edit: Also, switch up your defensive looks every few possessions. Give your opponent a different look every now and then.
Last edited by sportdan30 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Hey web, I might add that since I was shooting about 36% from the floor that a lot of your points were scored on the fast break. And once your lead got huge, the press defense caused a lot of mismatches at both ends of the court.

Nice game though and I look foward to the eventual rematches ;-)

-G7
Gamertag: GameSe7en

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I played two games online last night with a couple random people. While they were both fun and competitive, I couldn't help but notice the high number of missed layups for both myself and my opponent. Have any of you guys noticed this? Offline, it hasn't been an issue but it was just kinda strange to see so many missed layups.

By the way, what's your opinion on controlling one player on defense? For instance, I played with the Rockets in both games and controlled Yao as to prevent excessive driving by my opponent. He was using the 76ers and was rather frusturated because he kept driving with Iverson and missed more than he made. He made a comment towards the end of the game that he's going to have to practice because it seems like people like to take control of Shaq, Duncan, Yao, etc. Wish I hadn't been so kind to him because he gave me a "neutral" assessment while I gave him a positive one. Live and learn I guess.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I started a franchise with the Sixers last night and had 2 very nice games. Lost first game to Boston 117-115. Got a "W" las night against the Pacers...105-96. Iverson had 25 and 7 dimes. I have it playing very nicely right now. Got some cool sliders over at OS. They are Bizcano's Superstar sliders but I have them on All Star. Got some nice numbers. I shot 51% from the field and the Pacers shot like 41%. Im getting a good amount of fouls too.

Bizcanos sliders = http://forums.operationsports.com/vBull ... p?t=151659
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

So we don't have to search to hard:

Gameplay Settings
7 or 8 Minutes - Normal Speed
8 or 9 minutes - Slow Speed
Goaltending - On
Clutch Factor - On

Fouls (Default = 20/40)
Charging 10
Blocking 22 or 23
Reaching 30
Shooting 22 or 23
Loose-Ball 30

(Default = Default # of Clicks / Maximum # of Clicks) For Human and CPU

HUMAN – CPU

Defense (Default = 20/40)
Pick Success 20 - 25
Pick strength 15 - 20

Stealing (Default = 20/40)
Rip Success 10 - 10

Attributes (Default = 55/110)
Steals 55 – 45
Blocks 50 – 50
Ball Handling 40 or 45 – 40 or 45
Dunks 45 or 50 – 45 or 50
Off. Aware 60*– 70*
Def. Aware 70* – 80*
Off. Rebound 60 – 50
Def. Rebound 60 – 50
(Default = 20/40)
Injury Chance 20 - 20
Injury Effect 25 – 25
Clutch Factor 20 – 20

Shooting
“Success” (Default = 33/67)
Close 28 - 28
Mid Range 31 - 28
3pt 33 - 33
Dunk 30 - 29
Layup 29 - 28
Freethrow 32 - 31

“Tendencies” (Default = 55/110)
Close shot 55 - 65 or 70
Mid Range 55 - 70 or 75
3pt 55 - 75 or 80
Drive 55 - 40
Dunk 55 - 50
(Default = 20/40)
Dunks in Traffic 10 - 10

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Think I'll give these a try as I don't believe I was too accurate in transitioning Jistic's sliders from the Xbox over to the 360. The only thing I disagree with from what I can see is the "clutch factor". IMO, this is more of a crutch than anything.

Btw, anyone notice the issue I had with online play I posted above?

Thanks.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Interesting, separate sliders for dunks and dunks in traffic.

That should really be dependent on player attributes, no?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

sportdan30 wrote:
Btw, anyone notice the issue I had with online play I posted above?

Thanks.
There's a lot of stuff I could pick on about this game, but a glut of missed layups is not something I've seen online in the four or five games I've played.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

OK, so I am getting more used to this game, remembering the tricky 2K timing that I had learned way back in the Dreamcast days. But I have some questions if anyone can help me out:

How do you mess with the 'triple threat' stuff? I notice it in the VIP area, and it points out I am not doing much with it, yet I can't find any explanation in the manual. If I could learn how to do a jab step without crazy controller gymnastics, I would be very, very happy.

Also, how do you 'lead icon pass?' Do you hold one of the triggers down when pressing the appropriate button, or double tap the button, or what?

How do you throw up the alley oop? I know it's some combination of the lead pass button and something, but I can't figure out what that something is. Since it will only attempt the alley oop in certain situations, it's really tough for me ti figure this out, and I can't seem to find it in the manual.

Thanks!

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Zep, from a thread at OS:

Triple Threat:

* Jab Step = Hold RT+LT and flick Left stick in opposite direction of pivot foot.
* Step Over = Hold RT+LT and flick Left in the player's facing direction.
* Jab Step w/ Head Fake = Hold RT+LT and flick Left stick toward pivot foot.
* Protect Ball = Hold RT+LT and flick Left stick in the opposite direction the player's facing.

Saw you sent a chat invite last night... my friend was over playing some single player CoD and checking out the system, so I wasn't actually on. Sometime soon I hope I can get some time for some online action! Just so freaking busy, I can only play in weird short bursts lately.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

The difficulty in defending the drive is a real issue in this game, particularly online. In the four or five games I've played, both me and my opponent have shot between 65-70% from the floor. It's particularly difficult when the player with the ball is a 3-point threat, as you can't sag off at all without getting a three drilled in your face.

The game doesn't have the twitch problems that previous basketball games did where it was just impossible to follow the point guard around, but it's still very hard.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Diablo25 wrote:I started a franchise with the Sixers last night and had 2 very nice games. Lost first game to Boston 117-115. Got a "W" las night against the Pacers...105-96.
I have it playing nicely offline as well just tweaking All-Star as I go (blocks up, shooting down a couple notches except 3 pointers, steals down, fouls up, etc.). I love how the sliders actually work as intended. I was nailing too many free throws and adjusting the sliders down a few notches helped. I have also seen a very realistic amount of fouls and FT. In fact, I've had a few games with multiple players fouling out. I really like how it is much easier to draw fouls with Iverson than all my other players. I'm starting to learn the ISO moves and they really add a lot to the game.

I'm 7 games in to my "Association" (4-3) and every game has been great. I won a fantastic game in OT last night vs. the Clippers. Korver got hurt in the 2nd game so I am really struggling with my rotation due to a pretty weak bench.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I started a new franchise with the Rockets using Bizcanos sliders. Initially, I was a bit worried because I started out 2-0 with wins over the Pistons on the road and the Bulls on the road as well. Well, last night I lost to the Grizzlies. And while McGrady hurt his leg early in the first quarter but was able to continue, my team just felt out of sync the rest of the game. I'm quite happy with these sliders after the initial concern.

I do have a few questions though. I'm playing seven minute quarters with auto substitutions. If either one my players or their players picks up a foul early in the first, they automatically get subbed right away. Besides setting it to manual, is there something else I can change?

How do you increase the difficulty of free throws? I'm shooting at a sound 85% plus clip.

Maybe it's because I'm only playing 7 minute quarters, but it's rare for any of my players to get in to serious foul trouble. Anyone have some good foul sliders? I hardly ever see any off the ball fouls.

Thanks.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I am playing on 9 minute quarters. I am a stickler for FG% and that is the only way I can get realistic stats with realistic FG% in the 42-52% range and realistic FTA. Therefore, I also see players get into foul trouble. I can't remember the actual "ticks" on the meter, but I have shooting and blocking fouls at about 65% of the total, off the ball at about 75%, and charges and reach-ins up about 5 ticks. Both teams usually get 20-35 FTs a game, there are plenty of bonus opportunities, and usually a handful of players a game get to 4-6 fouls.

There are sliders for FT difficulty. Just try lowering yours a few notches and see how that goes.

I can't really help you on the subs as I manually substitute. Am I missing something or is the substitution messed up in that your changes don't take place right away? I have actually been pausing prior to timeouts/halves and making my changes so they are registered appropriately.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks Leebo. Think I'll see how manual substitutions go. Generally, the A.I. does a good job of subbing, however there are times it seems star players will sit too long. Part of that though I think has to do with their percentage of energy.

This game definitely needs to implement the way in which College Hoops 2K6 goes about allowing on the fly substituting. Having to pause the game, go to "coaching", and then "substitutions" not only takes too long but disrupts the flow of the game.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

sportdan30 wrote:Part of that though I think has to do with their percentage of energy.
Yeah, it does matter. I like to do subs manually because I can do things that a normal coach would do to "buy" a little extra rest, such as subbing a player a minute or two before the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter. I think the energy levels are pretty well done. You really have to use your timeouts and substitutions wisely. I got into a jam last night when my key big men were all low on energy late in the game. The CPU does a good job, but I think making the subs, calling the timeouts, and the increase in fouls really adds a lot of strategy to the game.

I'm really digging the game vs. the CPU. It really has that "Inside Drive" flavor as far as AI and teams playing a unique style. It really has me excited for College Hoops too!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

As far as FT%, try turning on the players real FT%. You will see a difference. Combinbe that with the FT difficulty slider and you can get it close.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Finally got myself a 360 yesterday and picked up NBA2k6. Only played it for a bit last night and I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be, but no doubt it's a pretty game that seems to play better than the xbox version. Hopefully I'll get some more time with it this weekend (if the kids cooperate).

One thing I hadn't considered and can't find a solution to, though, is the rosters. I was stunned to find that the 360 version also hasn't been updated since 10/21, which predates the start of the regular season. True they're not waaay off, but there are some rookie players missing and some guys on the wrong teams. Is there no way yet to get user updated rosters into the game without mailing memory cards around? (If not, no big deal.)
---Todd

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

*deleted* (wrong thread)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

JackB1 wrote:What are u guys using for hitting camera? The "center" is way too close and the "hitters eye" is better, but still feels too close. I like to feel the depth of the distance of the mound to the hitter. I seem to like the "other angle" camera the best for that reason. Also, it emphasized the righty/lefty thing. You have a easier time hitting a righty pitcher as a leftly batter due to the angle. When it's righty vs righty, you really feel like you might "bail out" on a high and tight heater. Anyone else try this camera?
I think you're in the wrong thread Jack.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Finally picked up Nba 2k6 last night. Love it so far but when I run the game in 720p or 1080i i lose about an inch off the top and bottom of my screen compared to what the game looks like in 480p. Obviously I'd prefer to use 720p or 1080i but this is kind of annoying. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I dont have this problem with any other game I own. Thanks!