iPod Video Released; new iMac...WOW!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I bought an STM Cocoon, which was about $35.

Also a nearby store was having a sale on the Tunewear Podwallet, which retails for about $60 for just $20.

But I would probably lean towards maybe an Agent18 clear shield. Only downsides are it can't be docked while you have the case on and there's no belt clip.

The review of 5G accessories are starting to roll in at ilounge.com, which sometimes has deals posted on their forums.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Any recommendations on a nano case?

I got a 4gb Nano yesterday and would like to get a case other than the little felt sleeve for it.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

AtXj wrote:Any recommendations on a nano case?

I got a 4gb Nano yesterday and would like to get a case other than the little felt sleeve for it.
I just bought a case from Rhinoskin for my Video iPod today.

Below is the link to their site for the Nano.

http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoskin/? ... &model=249

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There are all kinds of styles for it. The popular ones are the clear cases like the Agent18 which is a hard case, or the iSkin Duo, which is soft.

But there are slick things like wallets which have a compartment for the Nano so you can slip it in the chest pockets of jackets.

Of course there are various lanyards and such for more casual look too.

Again, ilounge.com seems to have the most comprehensive set of reviews.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am getting myself this one:

http://www.xtrememac.com/cases/nano/microglove.php

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Yesterday's Keynote unveiled an FM radio receiver/remote for the iPod, which at a total of $350 for a 30GB video iPod plus FM remote seems like a competitive price...No doubt not enough to satisfy the iPod haters, but I guess it's one less thing for them to complain about.

Also, new iLife apps that are so incredibly KILLER it's not even funny. You just can't do stuff like that (not with any ease) on the PC, and certainly not for free (with a new computer, $79 as software alone).

Finally, Intel iMac and MacBook Pro. Maybe enough to get some more Windows users to switch before Mac OS Windows - I mean Windows Vista - launches later this year. Afterall, you can load Windows and dual boot on one of these Macs.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:Finally, Intel iMac and MacBook Pro. Maybe enough to get some more Windows users to switch before Mac OS Windows - I mean Windows Vista - launches later this year. Afterall, you can load Windows and dual boot on one of these Macs.
That sounds cool and all, but how much of the hardware is going to be recognized or compatible with Windows? Hell, even hardware that was supported by Windows 98 wasn't by 2000 and XP. I wonder if they will build in support or if the 3rd party developers or users will have to do all of the legwork.

Oh yeah...and Vista doesn't look anything like a mac...I'm running it on a separate partition as we speak. It's basically the same old Windows at this point with some better music playing support and a flashier search engine.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Oh yeah...and Vista doesn't look anything like a mac...I'm running it on a separate partition as we speak. It's basically the same old Windows at this point with some better music playing support and a flashier search engine.
Plus whatever bugs come with it...

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sport73 wrote:Finally, Intel iMac and MacBook Pro. Maybe enough to get some more Windows users to switch before Mac OS Windows - I mean Windows Vista - launches later this year. Afterall, you can load Windows and dual boot on one of these Macs.
That sounds cool and all, but how much of the hardware is going to be recognized or compatible with Windows? Hell, even hardware that was supported by Windows 98 wasn't by 2000 and XP. I wonder if they will build in support or if the 3rd party developers or users will have to do all of the legwork.

Take a look at the CES presentation of Vista. "Glass" = Mac OSX "Aqua"; "Search" = "Spotlight"; "Gadgets = Widgets"; "Sidebar" = "Dashboard". I could go ON and ON and ON. It's literally a direct copy of every UI invention of Mac OS X from 10.1 - 10.4.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Take a look at the CES presentation of Vista. "Glass" = Mac OSX "Aqua"; "Search" = "Spotlight"; "Gadgets = Widgets"; "Sidebar" = "Dashboard". I could go ON and ON and ON. It's literally a direct copy of every UI invention of Mac OS X from 10.1 - 10.4.
See http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/ and then come talk to me. Been around a hellova lot longer than OS X. Since the Windows 98 days to be exact.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Interesting announcements at the Keynote.

Too bad I just got my iMac in November. I believe WCO told me to wait until Jan and see...

Oh well...I'll let them get the bugs out of the new processor switch and more software support, then I'll upgrade in a couple years.

I freakin' LOVE my iMac though. I am glad I didn't wait!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've been using a Mac for a while now and the 1 thing that intrigues me the most is being able to run Windows XP, Windows Vista and Mac OSX from the same computer. I'm happy with my eMac but I may have to pickup a new 20" iMac with the Intel Duo's.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:I've been using a Mac for a while now and the 1 thing that intrigues me the most is being able to run Windows XP, Windows Vista and Mac OSX from the same computer. I'm happy with my eMac but I may have to pickup a new 20" iMac with the Intel Duo's.
Booting XP isn't appearing likely.

The Intel Macs use Intel's EFI to sit above the BIOS. EFI is not supported by XP but will be by Vista is the word. Also 64-bit Windows supports EFI but the Intel Core Duo chips are 32-bit.

Someone may work up a hack but I would wait until you hear about someone doing it first.

And even if they achieve it, I wonder if any version of Windows will have driver support for things like the built-in iSight camera or the IR remote.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

As soon as the word was spread that Apple would use Intel microprocessors, their shares leaped all the way past $3.04, or 3.8 per cent. Hey, I am thinking to jump on the wagon this year.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

wco81 wrote: Someone may work up a hack but I would wait until you hear about someone doing it first.
It will happen. Someone will either hack it or write an emulator within MAC OS.
wco81 wrote: And even if they achieve it, I wonder if any version of Windows will have driver support for things like the built-in iSight camera or the IR remote.
Ummm... do you think that would matter much? Wouldn't the person who boots up winxp on his mac (or runs it in an emulator) only be doing so for some very specific reason like some windows only program? MS Outlook maybe? MS project?

Anything multimedia liek a camera or such would more likely just be used within MACOS, which everyone claims does MM functions better than windows anyway.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well there are subtle things like features on the motherboard. For instance, the new Wifi chips or the GPU, which is relatively new. I wouldn't think a 2-year old XP CD would have the best drivers for that, or support the H.264 acceleration which it's suppose to have. Now would XP have some driver which will work until you can download the latest ones?