OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by Darkbandit »

Yeah I like that case, however I have the 7" one..I see where they do have this case but smaller, however its on backorder

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:DB what are you using for a case on your Galaxy Tab?
I've got the 7.0 Plus now...lol. Scrapped the 10 inch version because I like the smaller size (and the better processor) of the 7.0 Plus. I use this case...which was made for the original 7" but works perfectly on the 7.0 Plus. It's awesome, and cheap at 8 bucks!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Protectiv ... 29&sr=1-12

I also picked up an anti glare screen protector by SGP...one of my favorite brands. This thing is great on the Galaxy Tab tho a bit expensive @ $25. Bought one for my wife's Kindle after she saw mine. Great product.

http://www.amazon.com/SGP-Samsung-Galax ... 460&sr=1-6

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I treated myself to an early birthday present and bought the samsung keyboard dock for my Tab10.1.

It's a solid piece of hardware, and i have no fear of the tablet sliding out or anything.

As a bonus, you can plug the power cord in the keybaord to charge up the tablet, but you can also have the keyboard on it's own, as it draws power from the tablet iteself.In fact, i'm typing this untethered on my kitchen table with my hangover cure coffee beside me.

The only thing i don't like are how small the shift keys are and the placement. I'm a touch typer, but haven't gotten used to the shift keys yet, so tend to miss. As a bonus though, the same autocapitlization is used as the software keyboards, so in reality i don't need the key when i begin sentences.

There's also hotkeys for the browser, media player buttions, locking the tab, home, back, and application keys.

Oh, there's also a stereo jack on the back to plug in speakers. Haven't tried it yet.

All in all, a neat keyboard if you want to type a little faster sometimes.......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Anyone who is using an Android tablet needs to download the new Firefox browser. They finally tablet optimized and it is fantastic. A definite upgrade to the stock browser.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Slashtop is free today on the Amazon.com store.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Rodster wrote:Slashtop is free today on the Amazon.com store.
You mean Splashtop? If so I have it and it should be a no-brainer for anybody at that price point. Very good remote desktop app for mobile devices.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

ScoopBrady wrote:
Rodster wrote:Slashtop is free today on the Amazon.com store.
You mean Splashtop? If so I have it and it should be a no-brainer for anybody at that price point. Very good remote desktop app for mobile devices.
I bought the HD version for 9.99 a couple of months ago and agree, great app.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

NVIDIA and ASUS tease 7-inch Tegra 3 tablet with ICS and $249 price tag :)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/nvid ... nd-249-pr/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Acer is really bringing heat. Still don't think its gonna outperform my tab 7.0 plus because i have been less than impressed w tegra based systems in general...the thing is badass in the 7" market. ICS may be the difference maker and if my tab doesnt get it soon i have the right to change my mind. Haha

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Hold on to those Touchpads...

ICS is right around the corner...

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Hold on to those Touchpads...

ICS is right around the corner...

Nice. I've been checking the forums every few days waiting for the ICS update.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

What is ICS.?

never mind...just realized its ice cream sandwich :-)

so why would this next Android build be so much better?
Has anyone out there put Android on their Touchpads?
I checked all the instructions and videos and it seems like
too much hassle.
Last edited by JackB1 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:What is ICS.?
Ice Cream Sandwich, latest Android operating system from Google.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

JackB1 wrote:What is ICS.?

never mind...just realized its ice cream sandwich :-)

so why would this next Android build be so much better?
Has anyone out there put Android on their Touchpads?
I checked all the instructions and videos and it seems like
too much hassle.
For starters ICS is designed to work on both tablets and phones. With the current touchpad port of android it's using an old version of android designed for small screen cell phones.

I only use android on my touchpad. There are just no apps for WebOS, and all the widgets and stuff are pretty cool. WebOS is dead and why be stuck using only outdated neglected software?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ICS is so far superior to Android 2.x & Honeycomb it's not even a debate. ICS on my Galaxy Nexus is so fast, so well designed, that you should definitely go through the trouble of putting it on the touchpads instead of 2.x or Honeycomb. It's THAT good.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248362/i ... mod_9.html

Still some kinks, but I'm going to try and install this today.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote:http://www.pcworld.com/article/248362/i ... mod_9.html

Still some kinks, but I'm going to try and install this today.
Please report on how it goes. I've been waiting to take the plunge, in part because apart from the dearth of apps, I've been content with WebOS.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

My early thoughts are that android 4.0 is much better than android 2.3 or WebOS. Snappy performance, intuitive interface, and a customized home screen with widgets and live wallpaper is beautiful.

It works well on the touchpad, however it's not a complete version--no camera support, video is kind of FUBAR.

I won't be switching back to WebOS, however if you don't know what you're missing maybe you could wait for new release. On the other hand, this mod installs as dual boot so you don't lose WebOS.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:My early thoughts are that android 4.0 is much better than android 2.3 or WebOS. Snappy performance, intuitive interface, and a customized home screen with widgets and live wallpaper is beautiful.

It works well on the touchpad, however it's not a complete version--no camera support, video is kind of FUBAR.

I won't be switching back to WebOS, however if you don't know what you're missing maybe you could wait for new release. On the other hand, this mod installs as dual boot so you don't lose WebOS.
Do u have a link to easy directions on how to install this on your TP?

Edit: I just saw the link a few posts back.....was it easy to do and how about if you haven't done any of the mods yet? Do I go straight to the most recent one?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Open question for everyone.....

My wife is going on a loooooooong plane trip to Africa and she needs something cheap and simple to take with her
to keep her busy while on the plane. I dont think she wants to spend over $200. I was thinking the Kindle Fire, but that
only has 5 Gb usuable memory and no expandable slots. She probably wants to load it up with maybe 5 movies and maybe some e-books and music.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

JackB1 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:My early thoughts are that android 4.0 is much better than android 2.3 or WebOS. Snappy performance, intuitive interface, and a customized home screen with widgets and live wallpaper is beautiful.

Do u have a link to easy directions on how to install this on your TP?

Edit: I just saw the link a few posts back.....was it easy to do and how about if you haven't done any of the mods yet? Do I go straight to the most recent one?
I don't know the best most up to date guide, though the process hasn't changed so you an old guide will work---just use the new file versions.

No need to mess with the old versions. Installation requires no technical knowledge, just a bit of time and attention to detail.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JackB1 wrote:Open question for everyone.....

My wife is going on a loooooooong plane trip to Africa and she needs something cheap and simple to take with her
to keep her busy while on the plane. I dont think she wants to spend over $200. I was thinking the Kindle Fire, but that
only has 5 Gb usuable memory and no expandable slots. She probably wants to load it up with maybe 5 movies and maybe some e-books and music.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Anyone?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Right now there is the Kindle Fire for $200, the Nook Tablet for $250 and a bunch of no-name Chinese tablets for as little as $99.

Asus talked about a 7-inch Tegra 3 tablet later this spring but that's about it.

You spend more and/or wait, those are your choices.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

This is probably a frustrating response, but my first thought was that if you're willing to spend $200 for entertainment on a single flight, I would just spend the $500 to have an iPad2 permanently.

If you just want to watch movies on a single flight, you could spend $5 for in-flight entertainment, no? Might be crappy selections, but $200 seems insane.

Kindle Fire is probably your best option, short of hunting for a used android tablet.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:This is probably a frustrating response, but my first thought was that if you're willing to spend $200 for entertainment on a single flight, I would just spend the $500 to have an iPad2 permanently.

If you just want to watch movies on a single flight, you could spend $5 for in-flight entertainment, no? Might be crappy selections, but $200 seems insane.

Kindle Fire is probably your best option, short of hunting for a used android tablet.
She's not buying it JUST for this trip ...Lol. She will keep it afterwards, but this is a good excuse for her to get a tablet :-)

We looked at the Kindle Fire but the available storage is pretty limited...like 5 Gb or so.. She wants to load it up with some movies and series's, so that storage will get full quick. She won't have WiFi where she's going, so most of the media will have to be on the tablets internal storage/memory.. Also, don't you need to pay a subscription to get most of the Kindle Fire's multimedia services?