Tiger Woods 2010

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Bill, if you're playing the 360 version, unfortunately, it's just easy to hit fairways. There doesn't seem to be a way to address that. They really need a sensitivity slider for the analog sticks.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Bill_Abner wrote:Hey guys,

This is my first time with Tiger on the 360 for a couple of years and I have a few questions and, honestly, didn't feel like reading the 25 page thread..sorry.

Is there a way for me to create a player and start playing in tour events and not hit 220 yard drives off the tee? Does the game force me to do this other stuff (challenges, etc.) to build up my stats? I just wanna play in tournaments and have my alter ego hit it at least as far as I can in RL. If not, how long does it take before I can hit a 275 yard drive? I created a player, and went to Pinehurst No. 2 and was hitting driver 3-wood into most par 4s and the leader board was full of -25 scores.

On another note, is there a way to make the game a bit more difficult in terms of accuracy? I am hitting literally every fairway on Tour Pro difficulty.

I did scan the thread and it sounds like the Wii version is where it's at...

--bill
Bill,

Unfortunately you have to build your character up through the Tourn Challenge process. It was not long before I was hitting 275 yard drives. That won't help you much on Bethpage as you will need to be longer off the tee to carry most fairways.

If you want more difficulty in TOUR Pro, play enough (or purchase with MS points) to get to the Advanced or Expert clubs....you will struggle with accuracy I can assure you....

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Bill, if you're playing the 360 version, unfortunately, it's just easy to hit fairways. There doesn't seem to be a way to address that. They really need a sensitivity slider for the analog sticks.
Go purchase some Advanced or Expert clubs....huge difference IMO....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Bill, if you're playing the 360 version, unfortunately, it's just easy to hit fairways. There doesn't seem to be a way to address that. They really need a sensitivity slider for the analog sticks.
Really...hmmm, never thought of that. Will do that tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Thanks guys.

Some odd design decisions there imo...but thanks for the info.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Graphically how does TW 10 on the 360 compare to TW 08 which is the last TW I bought in the series for the 360?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Graphically how does TW 10 on the 360 compare to TW 08 which is the last TW I bought in the series for the 360?
Everything is much cleaner except for the player models which are almost exactly the same.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

DivotMaker wrote:Go purchase some Advanced or Expert clubs....huge difference IMO....
A huge difference no doubt. I was playing TW10 360 at a friends house and we dropped the driver sweet spot down to the 20% range and it was an amazing difference. I had completely forgotten about the ability to tune clubs until John mentioned it earlier in the thread. I'm now looking forward to playing the 360 version some more.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Graphically how does TW 10 on the 360 compare to TW 08 which is the last TW I bought in the series for the 360?
Everything is much cleaner except for the player models which are almost exactly the same.
Thanks 8)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Bill,

The game can be plenty hard, believe me. Get up to intermediate and advanced clubs and go into the club tuning and reduce the sweetspot on all of them (which also gives you more distance, btw) and you will not be able to knock down flags. Driving is still the easiest part of the game, but approach shots and putting mak up for it. Oh yea, make sure and disable that putting meter and use the new putting mechanic.
Once you learn the "feel", it's great and very realistic.

Also, once your character gets up to 6-7 range in attributes, dont do any more practice sessions with Hank that will beef up your points too much. Just let them fall where they doi naturally through playing.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

JackB1 wrote:Bill,

The game can be plenty hard, believe me. Get up to intermediate and advanced clubs and go into the club tuning and reduce the sweetspot on all of them (which also gives you more distance, btw) and you will not be able to knock down flags. Driving is still the easiest part of the game, but approach shots and putting mak up for it. Oh yea, make sure and disable that putting meter and use the new putting mechanic.
Once you learn the "feel", it's great and very realistic.

Also, once your character gets up to 6-7 range in attributes, dont do any more practice sessions with Hank that will beef up your points too much. Just let them fall where they doi naturally through playing.
I'm sure it is Jack. But I think it's bad design to make me play the game a ton or spend more real money to buy clubs that make it so I don't hit every fairway. I already tuned my clubs, so I can't do much else.

I've played 3 rounds -- 54 holes. I cannot come close to competing with the pros in the tourneys. I cannot shoot -25 under par. And, truth be told, I don't WANT to. If that's the bar, then that's ludicrous. I fired a 74 today and was setting in 144th place. I mean come on.

I'm sure once I get clubs that make it easier to push or pull a ball in the rough, and get my power high enough so that I don't hit driver 3-wood and still come up short on a par 4 that the game will improve dramatically. But if the pros are going to consistently shoot -20+ under for a tourney, then this just isn't the game for me. I like a world where par isn't bad. So far, par just doesn't come close to cutting it.

And the fact that the game design (on the 360 at least) makes me in a sense grind like it's an MMO before I start to see some real golf, I find a bit frustrating.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Gabe from Penny Arcade puts the fundamental strangeness of Tiger Woods quite well:

"I don't know why I keep buying Tiger Woods games every year. I suppose because it's the only golf game available. I am always instantly frustrated by it and I end up putting it aside after just a couple days. The main problem I have with the game I think is the way your skills work. Tiger is essentially an RPG. That is to say as you play, your skills improve and you get better equipment. That's just not what I want from a golf game. Starting Tiger Woods is like walking on to the golf course wearing vendor trash and everyone else is in their tier 8 gear. You can not compete unless you put the time in. What I want is a golf game that's more like Halo or any other shooter. What I mean is that everyone has essentially the same character and what determins the winner is the players skill.

I want to see everyone start with a character that has the same basic skills. Then give everyone the same number of points that they can invest in their character to improve things like driving or putting. Then that's it, no more points no more stat upgrades. Now you're talking about creating a custom build for your character and then matching your skills with that build up against everyone else. Immagine if everytime you tackled a guy in Madden your players got stronger. Then immagine you could buy footballs that flew further or were easier to catch. Sure some people might like it but most fans would say "this isn't football". Well that is essentially how Tiger Woods works and I guess I'm just tired of it."

I'm really into this year's Wii version, but I want to play the game Gabe's talking about even more. Could it be a new mode or something?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Bill_Abner wrote: And the fact that the game design (on the 360 at least) makes me in a sense grind like it's an MMO before I start to see some real golf, I find a bit frustrating.
This is what Tiger has been doing for several versions now. I agree it is ridiculous to have to do this. If they are going to make you build your way up then at least have you start on a smaller tour and have to go through Q school.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I did today's online tourney with my very non-upgraded created character... St. Andrews with no putting meter. 'Twas fun. I managed to par the course. No putting meter was cool, almost made a 30 foot putt for an eagle, but it bounced over the hole. Practice putts didn't seem to be working, though. Another troubling thing is the preview arc that still comes up after practice swings... it makes it so that it's almost preferable to land your approach just off the green so that you can make use of the preview trail. Wish that weren't in there.

My created player has only had one round of upgrades after one tour event, but the driving distance wasn't terrible... usually in the 250-270 range, with one 300 footer in there that must have been the beneficiary of wind or something.

I was #102 on the board for the event.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I also just finished a round for today's daily wii tournament. At one point I was as low as -8, but then I proceeded to 5 and 6-putt (yes that is correct) 3 holes, taking me all the way down to +2 where I finished. No putting meter threw me off a little methinks.

As for the RPG aspects of the game, I agree it's dumb. The old PC versions of Tiger used to let you create a character outside of career mode and would give that guy reasonable stock attributes that could not be changed. That option should be present in the game.

I like what EA is doing with tournaments forcing certain difficulty settings, but they should take it one step further, having 'one-try' tournaments, and having tournaments with locked attributes or restricted character choices. I was thinking we would restrict character choices for our DSP offline tour to keep things reasonable.

Speaking of the DSP tour, to follow up on earlier discussion, the upcoming weekly wii tournaments are Bethpage, Bay Hill, and Gary Player CC. Could a 360 player check to see if upcoming 360 weekly tournaments are the same?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Why don't we all do the PLAY WITH PRO Tournament this week at Bethpage? We can just post our scores here (or in a separate thread)
and compare and see how does best?

We could all choose the same Pro Player to play as, to make it fair.

Who's In? Remember you have to do all 4 rounds

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Naples39 wrote:As for the RPG aspects of the game, I agree it's dumb. The old PC versions of Tiger used to let you create a character outside of career mode and would give that guy reasonable stock attributes that could not be changed. That option should be present in the game.

I like what EA is doing with tournaments forcing certain difficulty settings, but they should take it one step further, having 'one-try' tournaments, and having tournaments with locked attributes or restricted character choices. I was thinking we would restrict character choices for our DSP offline tour to keep things reasonable.
Agree.

They are implementing one-try tournaments now...played one yesterday.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Slumberland wrote:
I want to see everyone start with a character that has the same basic skills. Then give everyone the same number of points that they can invest in their character to improve things like driving or putting. Then that's it, no more points no more stat upgrades. Now you're talking about creating a custom build for your character and then matching your skills with that build up against everyone else. Immagine if everytime you tackled a guy in Madden your players got stronger. Then immagine you could buy footballs that flew further or were easier to catch. Sure some people might like it but most fans would say "this isn't football". Well that is essentially how Tiger Woods works and I guess I'm just tired of it."

I'm really into this year's Wii version, but I want to play the game Gabe's talking about even more. Could it be a new mode or something?
I've been saying this same EXACT thing for years!!!!!!! I absolutely despise having to build a character. Just give me a set allotment of points and let me distribute where I see fit (but not enough to where I can max out every category). There was one version of Fight Night that actually did this.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Spooky wrote:
Slumberland wrote:

I've been saying this same EXACT thing for years!!!!!!! I absolutely despise having to build a character. Just give me a set allotment of points and let me distribute where I see fit (but not enough to where I can max out every category). There was one version of Fight Night that actually did this.
MLB The Show has been doing something similar with the RTTS mode and for the most part it works quite well.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

DivotMaker wrote:
So you spend $60 for the game then you have to pay more to make it more difficult?

Does anyone else find this wrong?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Pete wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
So you spend $60 for the game then you have to pay more to make it more difficult?

Does anyone else find this wrong?
You can purchase them with Career earnings OR MS points....

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JackB1 wrote:Why don't we all do the PLAY WITH PRO Tournament this week at Bethpage? We can just post our scores here (or in a separate thread)
and compare and see how does best?

We could all choose the same Pro Player to play as, to make it fair.

Who's In? Remember you have to do all 4 rounds
Anyone interested?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I went ahead and created a thread for a DSP tour with proposed rules and starting out with this week's weekly tournament at Bethpage.

I don't mean to preclude Jack's request for a communal play against the pros weekend, but I propose our DSP tour tournaments be 1-rounders with more liberal character selections rules.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm actually bored already with this game on the Wi and I think it has more to do with timing then anything.

I'm playing 4-5 rounds of real golf a week so to actually swing a Wi-mote is not exactly the relaxation I want right now. I'll probably enjoy this one more in the winter, but playing this along with real golf is actually causing some pain in my triceps.

I never understand why golf games are released in the spring / summer.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

BTW, thanks Db.... I changed my 360's resolution to 1680 x 1050 to match my LCD monitor's native resolution and now the game fills up the screen (almost - there is a small gap on top and bottom...maybe 1/4").
I never noticed the option to pick 1680 x 1050 in my 360 setup before. They must have added that capability with recent updates.

thanks - much better now!