OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Pro Tennis Thread

Post by wco81 »

Aussie Open has been entertaining.

Nadal goes down. Can he get back in form for Roland Garros?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Aussie Open has been entertaining.

Nadal goes down. Can he get back in form for Roland Garros?
It's the beginning of a long season. I would never count him out on clay and once March-April rolls in, he'll be in the hunt as usual. Having said that, he's not getting any younger and his physical game will continue to take a toll on his body as the injuries mounted after Wimbledon for him last year.

Murray and Djoko looked good so far.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Djokovic's returning was immense towards the end of the match against Raonic. Murray has looked extremely focused and the quality of his match with Dimitrov was incredible. I have hardly seen anything of Berdych but he must be in great form to have reached the semis without losing a set and Wawrinka looked outstanding from what I saw of his match with Nishikori. My feeling is that Murray and Djokovic are going to be severely tested in the semis. Should be great to watch

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Federer out and Nadal crushed.

So Nadal has already seen his best days.

Djoko probably has a couple more years before his descent begins.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Federer out and Nadal crushed.

Perhaps. I don't give too much stock when players have a little bump and people just write them off. Is Rafa's quest for a 10th Roland Garros more difficult to get? Oh yeah, with his taxing game and consequent injuries things are not going to get any easier for him. Would I write him out completely? NO. Not in Paris anyhow, ditto for Federer at the big W.

Is the joker slowly separating himself from the rest? Looks like it, especially the way he played today in defeating the best clay court player in the world. Straight sets, no ifs or buts, a couple of lucky net chord breaks but nevertheless he was dominant. Another player that has made strides this year is A. Murray. He played very well too and got rid of a very tough clay courter in Ferrer. Seems like Amelie is the right match up for him as he just seems to move quicker out there and is in great shape.

This is Djoko's tournament to lose now, he's clearly the favorite to win it all, he's just lost two matches this year including one to Federer, I don't see anyone touching him.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well the thing which would topple the best players now would be a crop of young players with a lot of ability but few wins yet.

Doesn't seem like that crop has materialized yet.

Not that Murray and Djoko are ready to be toppled but they might be in a couple of years.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

10spro wrote:
wco81 wrote:Federer out and Nadal crushed.

Perhaps. I don't give too much stock when players have a little bump and people just write them off. Is Rafa's quest for a 10th Roland Garros more difficult to get? Oh yeah, with his taxing game and consequent injuries things are not going to get any easier for him. Would I write him out completely? NO. Not in Paris anyhow, ditto for Federer at the big W.

Is the joker slowly separating himself from the rest? Looks like it, especially the way he played today in defeating the best clay court player in the world. Straight sets, no ifs or buts, a couple of lucky net chord breaks but nevertheless he was dominant. Another player that has made strides this year is A. Murray. He played very well too and got rid of a very tough clay courter in Ferrer. Seems like Amelie is the right match up for him as he just seems to move quicker out there and is in great shape.

This is Djoko's tournament to lose now, he's clearly the favorite to win it all, he's just lost two matches this year including one to Federer, I don't see anyone touching him.
I think we'll have to wait and see how Rafa goes over the next 12 months or so.

The pressure is on Djokovic now to amortize the win over Nadal and I think Murray might prove a tough hurdle.

I'd love to see Tsonga winning the thing but I think he's fourth favourite of all the semi-finalists. Wawrinka was immense against Simon and Federer. He's definitely got the game to win this if he can stay consistent.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Looks like things are lining up for the usual suspects at Wimbledon.

Novak almost went down but avoided being upset in 5 sets.

Warinka is the one most likely to deny him.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Looks like things are lining up for the usual suspects at Wimbledon.

Novak almost went down but avoided being upset in 5 sets.

Warinka is the one most likely to deny him.
He's out. So in my books it's still Roger although Murray is playing the best tennis of his life. The battle of the one handed backhands was sensational as the ageless Gasquet pull thru the fifth set 11-9. Incredible tennis. The semis is set. Pretty sure Djoko is going into the finals, the other one will be a toss up but I am giving Federer a slight edge.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I don't know if it's a new thing but the British media seems to be antagonizing some of the players.

The back and forth between Kyrgios and the reporters was something.

Then Berdych ignored some question, as did Wozniaki when she was asked about Rory McElroy injuring himself playing soccer.

Then Vandeweigh complained about Sharapova moving around after she started to serve. More complaints about Sharapova's grunting that the WTA apparently won't act on.

I thought Wimbledon brought out the genteel side of everyone. :lol:

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Federer looking supreme on a surface that really lets him do almost anything that comes into his head, including this against Sam Querrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-qAUO6VYq0

McEnroe, commenting on the BBC a few days ago, questioned whether his unrivalled capacity to mix things up would be enough to get past the two best movers in the game at present, Murray and Djokovic...possibly in consecutive matches. To start with, Feds match against Murray will be a must-watch event for anyone with an interest in the sport.

9 or 10 years ago, Gasquet was being viewed as a future No. 1. He's having a great tournament but it's unlikely he can stop Djokovic, though if he's going to do so, maybe this surface gives him the best chance.

Regarding the media, Kygrios seems to be the guy most in the news and, at one point, there was talk of a fine of 160,000 pounds sterling for his behaviour in the match against Gasquet. He's talented and he's got bad-boy charisma so if he can walk the walk in the next few years, he may help to boost the popularity of tennis amongst those who would otherwise not bother.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Kyrgios is a spoiled brat. He deserved to be interrogated by the always sensitive British media as his play against Gasquet was of 5 year old. He literally tanked a couple of games because of a disagreement with the Ump. This kid got the potential but not the maturity to take his game to the next level.

The grunting is something that the British media has to let go. Sharapova will always be the way she is yet no one asked the #1 female on the planet what the hell was some of the annoying grunts that lasted about 10 seconds long, especially when she was going for the winning shot. Some men grunt as Nadal and in lesser extent Djokovic yet no one seems to ask them why. If you don't like the excessive grunting, it's a good idea to get some noise canceling headphones for the Williams-Sharapova semis. 8)

Federer needs to surprise Murray with a more serve and volley game not to mention serve well overall, as the Scott is moving better than ever on the slicky court. This is Federer best chance to get at another crack at a GS finals event, and it makes me smile when some people keep writing him off.

Djokovic was his old self today beating the young upcoming Canadian Pospisil but there were certainly some questionable calls from the Ump on the 30 seconds rule during key points that may have thrown Pospisil mental game aside. I know if I am at 4-4 with the best player in the world, and just about to serve and I hear the Ump saying all of the sudden that I went 1 second above the rule, that I would have gone all John McEnroe on him.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'd rather see Federer win it than Djoko.

Or Murray.

But I don't see it.

The other thing is, Nadal seems to be nearing the end as a top Grand Slam contender.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:I'd rather see Federer win it than Djoko.

Or Murray.

But I don't see it.

The other thing is, Nadal seems to be nearing the end as a top Grand Slam contender.
For what he's meant to the tennis world, I am with you. Enjoy it, because as I said it before he's the greatest tennis player in the modern era. But the Serbian will be very tough to beat. And Murray won't be a a walk in the park either. But from what I've seen from the Swiss is that he's lost only one set in the tournament and looks very sharp. Not too shabby for a 34 year old, eh?

Regarding Nadal, again I don't like writing people off because they have an off year or simply because they haven't won a GS in 2-3 years (Federer). He'll still a serious threat at the U.S. open. He's still 29 but his game is definitely more prone to injuries. Nadal got a great defense and once fit again, I wouldn't count him out. He's got a couple of more years at the top ten level in my eyes.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It'll be a fantastic men's finals on Sunday as Federer will look for his revenge against Djokovic. I knew that Murray-Federer would be a close match but the Swiss played some amazing tennis today. He returned well, chipped and charge Murray's second serve and the main reason he won so handily in my opinion was his accurate serve. I posted earlier that it was a key part of his game to advance to the finals and will have to do the same thing on Sunday.

But Djokovic returns very well, one of the most improved aspects of his game the last couple of years. He's the favorite and will be tough to beat him. Roger's mobility on the court was butterly smooth today, he kept pressuring the Scott the entire match and frankly I was surprised that it ended in straight sets.

It'll be a great match, Djokovic is the one to beat, but I have a special place for Federer.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well the way Serena is dominating at 33, there may be hope for Roger.

Serena is probably the greatest of all time and there are some saying that if she completes the Grand Slam this year, she will have the greatest tennis season of all-time, even though other tennis players have completed the Grand Slam.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Well the way Serena is dominating at 33, there may be hope for Roger.

Serena is probably the greatest of all time and there are some saying that if she completes the Grand Slam this year, she will have the greatest tennis season of all-time, even though other tennis players have completed the Grand Slam.
Hope for Roger? Is there anything he hasn't accomplished in tennis? Where's R. Dangerfield?

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

Clinical performance from Djokovic against the brave Gasquet, who kept fighting to the end and played a great tournament, beating Dimitrov, Kygrios and Wawrinka.

Roger was awesome. As 10s suggests, the serve was the key factor. Andy Roddick, commenting for the BBC, recalled watching 50 aces fly past him in the epic 2009 final but figured that Fed was serving better today. And the rest of his game was lethal too. He was always on the front foot, looking to take the cover off the ball at every opportunity and get to the net as much as possible, and defending and counter-attacking on grass isn't as effective as on hard courts. Murray didn't play badly, but he was just overrun, as much by the power of Roger as by the variety. Fed just mauled his second serve.

So Fed has answered part 1 of McEnroe's question and I'm going to stick my neck out and say that if he plays as well as he did today, Djokovic won't be able to stop him either. Djokovic's second serve is better than that of Murray's and he's got the most metronomic ball striking off both wings in the game but from what I've seen of Federer in this tournament, I feel that he's going to make things a bit too hot for even Djokovic to live with him. Hard to believe that it's 2015 and Federer is still turning in performances of this quality.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Nobody will remember how well he played against Murray if he loses on Sunday.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Nobody will remember how well he played against Murray if he loses on Sunday.
Wrong. You don't advance to the finals because you simply beat Murray. He's getting another trip to the finals because he's playing some outstanding tennis in his long career, it's on grass and serving unbelievably well. Because he won six matches dropping only one set. If in your world any player above 30 years is a wash, how can he keep getting into every GS event among the top four on a consistent basis? If he loses on Sunday, it's because he would have lost to the best player in the world. Número Uno, the best. Federer is ranked #2 in Wimbledon, so why is it a failure if he loses.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'm guessing Roger himself won't care about just reaching the Finals only to lose again.

He isn't still playing to become runner up. He wants more titles.

If the new racquet doesn't work, he needs to find the fountain of youth.

Or maybe some PEDs.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:I'm guessing Roger himself won't care about just reaching the Finals only to lose again.

He isn't still playing to become runner up. He wants more titles.

If the new racquet doesn't work, he needs to find the fountain of youth.

Or maybe some PEDs.
I am just curious. You don't like the Swiss man I get it. Do you even play the sport or just like to casually mumble crap that makes no sense whatsoever. Everyone that is in the sports wants to win titles. From the 100th ranked player to the number 1. You play to out punch your opponent, to win titles, to make money.

As I was saying earlier, there's nothing else missing in his vast trophy collection. And of course it is his intention to try to dethrone Djokovic tomorrow. It's the competitiveness in every single Pro tennis player. Reaching the semis on GS events at his age is no small feat, never mind advancing to the finals. So if he loses tomorrow which is very possible, then try drugs? You do know, every player gets tested randomly right? And the ones caught has faced suspensions of up the entire season.

Playing the past age of 30 in this sport is extremely difficult and to consistently stay among the top four in the world almost impossible. Therefore my admiration for Jimmy Connors even though he barely scratches the surface in terms of what he's accomplished in tennis compared to Federer.

If Nadal is your dude, Serena, fine. But do try to make some sense in your posts. :roll:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

YOu're projecting.

I have no hate for Federer. If anything Djokovic's more off-putting to me. Still remember his family up in the stands screaming in Melbourne and the crowd not liking them.

Yeah no kidding players go on the decline in their late 20s and into their 30s. That's my point, he's hanging on to add to his career titles. He isn't after getting to the finals or the later rounds of slams. He might have been when he started out his career and didn't have high expectations but it's meaningless now. Players don't get a tally of finalists at Wimbledon among the achievements on their Wikipedia page.

I haven't played the sport since I was in my teens. So what, do you play football so you can comment on the NFL?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:YOu're projecting.

I have no hate for Federer. If anything Djokovic's more off-putting to me. Still remember his family up in the stands screaming in Melbourne and the crowd not liking them.

Yeah no kidding players go on the decline in their late 20s and into their 30s. That's my point, he's hanging on to add to his career titles. He isn't after getting to the finals or the later rounds of slams. He might have been when he started out his career and didn't have high expectations but it's meaningless now. Players don't get a tally of finalists at Wimbledon among the achievements on their Wikipedia page.

I haven't played the sport since I was in my teens. So what, do you play football so you can comment on the NFL?
You see, you're still missing my point. And no, I haven't played football since high school but I don't tell R. Wilson to take PED because he lost the SB. So Federer would love to add to his collection of trophies. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't any professional tennis player? That's stating the obvious in my mind, but to win a title you have to make to the finals right? And the one player you have to beat happens to be the #1 player like Djokovic is and has been for he past 2-3 years. No easy feat of course and should he beat the Serbian tomorrow, Djokovic would still be the best in the world and Federer would try to get to that position once again as he did for so long in his early 20's.

Hanging on was someone like Jmmy Connors who knew had no chance to win tourneys any longer but loved the sport. Federer is still very competitive in his early 30's and has been blessed with little injuries, he can hang around 40 for all I care if he still plays competetitively and is enjoying the sport.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I would think it would be frustrating to be close but not be able to win it.

It is a great feat to be competitive in the majors at his age. Certainly is a lot better than losing in early rounds.

I don't know what his motivations or expectations are now. If just being competitive is good enough for him, then great, more power to him. But since he's had a lot of success in his career, it seems that he'd have pretty high expectations, that he wouldn't just be happy to play well in the majors but not win them.

He's old on the tennis tour but still a young man. Maybe he just hasn't found anything outside of tennis which motivates him as much.