OT: Movie rental suggestions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Movie rental suggestions

Post by FifaInspected »

I'm not a huge PJ fan, but have enjoyed some of their stuff over the years. I Watched Pearl Jam 20 yesterday and enjoyed it. It was not your typical rock band story centered around orgies under the stage and daily drug overdoses.
Last edited by FifaInspected on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Netflixed recently:

Rango (surprisingly great)
Dinner For Schmucks (love me some Paul Rudd, but too uneven to recommend)
Captain America (I liked, but why do these Marvel films have such a plastic sheen to them?)
Midnight In Paris (best of the bunch)

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

True Grit is on netflix streaming now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I recommend NOT watching "30 Minutes or Less"...I may have chuckled a couple times, but overall a horrible comedy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I recommend NOT watching "30 Minutes or Less"...I may have chuckled a couple times, but overall a horrible comedy.
Yeah, I was shocked at how bad it was.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Quite disappointed with the Hangover 2. There were a few good laughs, but overall it was such a let down compared to the first.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Senna.

Just streamed it off of the 360 with Zune as for some reason it has not been released in the US yet on DVD or Blu.

Anyway...Its riveting, inspiring and heart breaking stuff.

Learned about it from the 2011 racing thread ....here is what your fellow DSPers had to say .... :)
Zeppo wrote:
pk500 wrote:
EZSnappin wrote:I got to see Senna in the theater and was blown away. Do watch if you get the chance.
Agree! Saw it on PC and in the theater. Both were fantastic, but the theater experience added that much more.
Indeed. I was firstly amazed it was released in the States at all, and then stunned that when I went to see it the theater was packed to the gills.

I loved it and will be sure to dial it up on the Netflix sometime soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just watched the Ides of March. I really enjoyed it,. Intense political thriller.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Watched 50/50 last night. It was good, not great. I really liked the actors/characters, however I thought the writing left something to be desired. It was decent, but felt
that it could have been a heck of a lot better written. It seemed the story line never really showed just how much the cancer treatment affected Adam (main character). It only
seemed to get emotional near the end, and again it felt rather predictable. Glad I rented it, and didn't see it in the theater.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I know it's not a rental but I had to post this and there is no movie thread (I don't think). Just went to see The Grey. I'm not sure if it's a result of my dad passing recently and things hitting me harder at certain times, or if my man-period is coming, but I gotta tell you, that was one of the more emotional movies I've seen in a long time. It drags a bit in the middle, but I thought overall the movie was excellent. I sat in the theater for a good 10 minutes after it ended just in awe of what I just watched.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its Oscar worthy or the next Gone With The Wind, but it far surpassed what I was expecting when I bought the ticket.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

My wife and I started watching the Netflix exclusive Lillyhammer the other night.. We've both really been enjoying it.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Check out Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade on Netflix instant streaming, pretty good documentary on how competitive gaming got started.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

vader29 wrote:Check out Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade on Netflix instant streaming, pretty good documentary on how competitive gaming got started.
I know this has probably been mentioned before, but King of Kong is brilliant.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

TheCentralScrutinizer
Mario Mendoza

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer »

I recently watched the whole SGU series on Netflix Instant. I've always been a fan of the Stargate franchise, more for the premise than the execution. SGU was by far the best of the Stargate TV series in my opinion (which isn't saying much), but was still pretty uneven. It was just starting to hit its stride when it apparently failed to get renewed at the end of its second season.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Watched Hugo yesterday with my 10 year old son. It was good, but I wouldn't necessarily want to watch it again. My son enjoyed it, but like me he didn't love it. I enjoyed the characters more than the story.

TheCentralScrutinizer
Mario Mendoza

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer »

sportdan30 wrote:Watched Hugo yesterday with my 10 year old son. It was good, but I wouldn't necessarily want to watch it again. My son enjoyed it, but like me he didn't love it. I enjoyed the characters more than the story.
Are you a big Scorsese fan? I am curious about Hugo but it doesn't quite make sense to me as a Scorsese film unless there just happens to be a Joe Pesci cameo involving prolific amounts of f-bombs.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

We all watched Hugo the other night and loved it. My 11 year old son started watching it again the next morning.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I loved Hugo. Saw it in 3D. We were a little late and the place was packed, so we stood at the back of the theater for the entire show, and didn't mind one bit. Loved it.

It is Scorsese's love letter to the idea of "Cinema," and the brilliant pioneers who helped make it into the immense cultural juggernaut it is today. As a serious fan of film history, I found it an extreme pleasure to see so many small bits of incredibly important early films displayed in a new-fangled 3D way, and looking beautiful.

It is also a plea of sorts from Scorsese that there be a much greater commitment to the preservation of film history, most critically in the preservation of the works themselves, something that is sadly not only a problem for the very early films of the twentieth century but for so much of the movies made throughout the history of the medium.

And it's also, in my opinion, a very enjoyable, touching, and entertaining film.

It's not the most typical film of Scorsese's work, but I would bet it's among those he would say he cares the most about.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I enjoyed the documentary so much that I had to have an actual movie poster for the collection. I just got this one sheet in from Australia.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"Senna" was a magical film, wasn't it, dude? I cried during the Imola scenes both times I saw the movie even though I knew exactly what was going to happen. I'm sure the faucets would open again if I watched the movie again tonight.

The Academy really blew it by not even nominating "Senna" for Best Documentary. I find it hard to believe there was any better documentary produced in the world last year than this film, let alone four or five.

An overlooked aspect of the brilliance of "Senna" was the soundtrack. Haunting. I know I sound like a blubbering girl in this post -- and I'm not -- but I can hardly get through the YouTube video of the theme song below without tearing up, thinking of Senna.

"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:"Senna" was a magical film, wasn't it, dude?
It was nothing if not that.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I must be in a samurai mood this week. Watched The Seven Samurai over the weekend on bluray and tonight was 13 Assassins streamed on netflix. The Kurosawa flick obviously deserves its kudos, but 13 Assassins was a damn fine film as well.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

F308GTB wrote:I must be in a samurai mood this week. Watched The Seven Samurai over the weekend on bluray and tonight was 13 Assassins streamed on netflix. The Kurosawa flick obviously deserves its kudos, but 13 Assassins was a damn fine film as well.
No doubt The Seven Samurai is great but I havent seen 13 Assassins yet. Just made my "must watch soon" list.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Pretty good documentary on netflix - Racing Dreams. Follows 3 kids fighting for karting national championships. Some real talent out there.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Another racing documentary that you car nuts should enjoy - streamed Eric Bana's "Love the Beast" off Netflix. It's about his love for his Ford Falcon XB he's owned since his teenage years and his love of racing. Some great scenes with Jay Leno and Jeremy Clarkson. Heck, even Dr. Phil makes appearances in interviews and really makes you think about how much a car can mean to you.