OT: Movie rental suggestions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Movie rental suggestions

Post by sportdan30 »

Rented Big Fan from the library the other day. Surprsingly, a pretty good movie. It's hard to say whether it's a comedy, drama, or other. It's definitely a little depressing, but it's quite funny in some parts too. Really well acted, and if you're a Giants or Eagles fan, it's definitely worth watching. Also, if you're in to sports talk radio, you'll appreciate the movie for those "fanatics" who call the late night sports talk shows.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rented a movie called Terri last night from Red Box, and it was awful! Steer clear of this title. Thought it would be a humorous coming of age movie, but it was anything but.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I rented and hated "Bad Teacher".

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Picked up the Super 8 Blu-Ray + DVD/Digital copy today. Love the movie so I wanted it day 1. It was my favorite movie of this past year. HIGHLY recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Super excited that Rushmore has been released on Blu Ray. It's the Criterion edition packed with a ton of extras. One of my favorite movies of all time and Bill Murray's best acting performance.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Brando70 wrote:Super excited that Rushmore has been released on Blu Ray. It's the Criterion edition packed with a ton of extras. One of my favorite movies of all time and Bill Murray's best acting performance.
Have it on Pre-order from Amazon. Might even arrive today. Been waiting for this on Blu-Ray for sooooo long.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:Super excited that Rushmore has been released on Blu Ray. It's the Criterion edition packed with a ton of extras. One of my favorite movies of all time and Bill Murray's best acting performance.
Good flick, but it's no Meatballs.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:
Nor "What About Bob?"
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I should have said it's his second-best performance after "Larger Than Life."

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
:lol:

Meatballs is the forgotten treasure. :P

Maybe a bit main stream of me but I have to go Groundhog Day. Though I do like that Bored to Death dude.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I rented Black Swan. Quite disturbing and definitely not my kind of movie. I don't necessarily see why it received such critical acclaim, but then again I am no movie critic.

I can't recommend it. Not at all.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Super 8 was pretty great. Very entertaining and a wonderful cast. If the cast had been poor, I think the movie wouldn't have been as engaging.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. I liked it. Quite enjoyable and Steve Carrell, although I still can't get his Office character out of my head was very funny. Much
better than Date Night with Tina Fey.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Feanor wrote:Black Death is a very good movie starring Sean Bean as a knight tracking down a necromancer in the plague-infested 1300s.

I saw this movie on Showtime a few nights ago and did not like it at all. It had great potential, but was just too long and dragging. That's fine though, Sean Bean made up for it in Game of Thrones.
sportdan30 wrote:I rented Black Swan. Quite disturbing and definitely not my kind of movie. I don't necessarily see why it received such critical acclaim, but then again I am no movie critic.

I can't recommend it. Not at all.

I saw this and don't know really what to say, positive or negative. It was one of those movies you just watch to see what happens. I guess I liked it since it was different than your usual Hollywood film. I didn't care too much for the lead (forgot her name, she was in Star Wars), but I did like the other gal's performance a lot - the Russian girl.

It was interesting. If you have time to burn I'd recommend it.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Just watched Super 8 for the first time. Maybe I had high expectations but I didn't love it. Agree with Dan that the casting helped the story immensely but it still didn't do much for me unfortunately.

I think I'm realizing that the JJ pattern of using robots and aliens as links between humans and emotional connections might just not be my thing.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

My wife and I streamed "Punching the Clown" last night on Netflix. We laughed like school kids. Lower budget but very well written. If you like the first 5 minutes you'll love the movie.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

If any of you are into jazz, I recommend the documentary "Chops". It's not a groundbreaking work, but it follows a Florida high school jazz band as they try to win Jazz at the Lincoln Center's Essentially Ellington competition.

1500 bands submit recordings and only 15 are selected for the finals. The level of musicianship is off the charts, and it's a great tribute to the Ellington as well. My 9 year-old watched it with me and absolutely loved it. It's streaming on Netflix.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Mega tip, Rob. I'll check it out. Thanks!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Not a MMA fan, but Warrior was a well put together movie. Perhaps a little far fetched, but quite emotional and very entertaining. Definitely one of the
better movies I've seen in a while.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Damn, I just watched Apollo 18 and it was one hell of an intense movie! Wow. Pretty damn creepy stuff. Definitely had me on the edge of my seat. I definitely recommend it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Ceder Rapids was pretty funny, good red box rental if you can find it.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Watched an older film today that was just awesome - The Crook (1970). It's on netflix and in French, English subtitles. Very well done old school crime/caper movie.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Lancer wrote:Ceder Rapids was pretty funny, good red box rental if you can find it.

I thought it was okay. I prefer Horrible Bosses or Bridesmaids from that comedy group.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Finally got a chance to see MoneyBall and loved it. Great movie. I loved the book and was hoping they wouldn't butcher it and they didn't. Highly recommend it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Watched the Adjustment Bureau last night. It was decent and definitely thought provoking, but a tad slow and a little too predictable. Overall,
not bad for a $1.00 rental. I would have been disapointed if I had paid full price to see at the theater.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Finally saw horrible bosses. I don't think I'll ever hear the word mother****** again and not laugh my ass off.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation