Playstation Vita

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Playstation Vita

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Great. Now you guys have me thinking about getting one of these again. Ugh...
You should just stop reading my posts all-together in general. :)

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:Great. Now you guys have me thinking about getting one of these again. Ugh...
No sh*t. I didn't even tell you that I was watching Nexus 7 reviews yesterday...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
No sh*t. I didn't even tell you that I was watching Nexus 7 reviews yesterday...
You don't have to tell me...I already know. LOL.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I downloaded Sound Shapes last week and I highly recommend it. It's $14.99 -- you get the PS3 and Vita versions for one price. The level design of the game is brilliant and the game is hella fun and cool. It has a cloud save feature so it is the same game on both platforms. I've played through it on both the PS3 and the Vita. It is good on both systems in terms of control and graphics. It is very deserving of the high scores it is getting from reviewers:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... und-shapes

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

toonarmy wrote:I downloaded Sound Shapes last week and I highly recommend it. It's $14.99 -- you get the PS3 and Vita versions for one price. The level design of the game is brilliant and the game is hella fun and cool. It has a cloud save feature so it is the same game on both platforms. I've played through it on both the PS3 and the Vita. It is good on both systems in terms of control and graphics. It is very deserving of the high scores it is getting from reviewers:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... und-shapes
Downloading it tonight. Can't wait to try it out.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Has anyone checked out the Madden demo yet? It would be 10x better if it wasn't so dang laggy. The game really bogs down in the menus and even out of the field between plays. Solid experience though.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

The chugging menus and needless, repetitive post-play shots of my running back's dead eyes are truly annoying.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Slumberland wrote:The chugging menus and needless, repetitive post-play shots of my running back's dead eyes are truly annoying.
While I understand where you're coming from I can overlook those complaints because overall the game has more pros than cons. And in the last few years I have felt pretty meh about Madden and NCAA Football on the big consoles. I'm really looking forward to play the Vita version this year. Too bad NCAA Football is not being made for the Vita. :(

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

A heads-up to Vita owners. Gamestop is selling Little Big Planet already, before the Sept. 25 street date. I got it this afternoon and it is magnificent. If you enjoyed the PS3 versions of this game then you will love the Vita version. Of course, by buying at Gamestop I had to stand through a soliloquy on why I should preorder a Wii-U, then I had to listen to the dipshit employee chide me for not preordering Little Big Planet and how I missed out on the preorder bonus of some f***in sackboy costumes.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Great to know. Thanks Toon! Will grab a copy tonight.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Is LBP a port of the PS3 game or is it new?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Danimal wrote:Is LBP a port of the PS3 game or is it new?
It's a new 40 levels, plus a really deep game and level creator tool with the ability to dl all sorts of user-created games and levels. The touch capability is integrated well. You use both the back touch panel and the front screen. Some levels rely heavily on the touch screen controls, while others do not use them much at all. The graphics are phenomenal and rival those on the PS3. The game truly is a console experience on a handheld, but better IMO due to the touch screen stuff being fun.

IGN's review does a decent job of describing the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/12/ ... ita-review

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks.

LBP is one of the few platformers I actually like but I never made any levels. I may give it a try.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

It's pretty dang fun. I've already beat the single player (it's super easy) and enjoyed it. The LBP servers don't go online until Tuesday so I'm sitting here chomping at the bit to get my hands on some user created content. If you didn't like LBP before nothing has changed to make you enjoy it now. This is the same game we've seen before only now they've implemented the touch controls to freshen things up a bit. I'm going to get quite a bit of play time out of this game once the servers go online and I can get the multiplayer going. Anyone want to help get some of the two player items in the single player?

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Very early on in LBP, but it's certainly AAA console platformer quality at this point. I much prefer LBP on the Vita, as it allows for short bursts of play.

I also picked up Wipeout 2048 for $15 - nice to see prices come down so fast after launch.

At the Tokyo Game Show, they announced that the Wii game "Muramasa" will be coming to the Vita in 2013. It's a gorgeous 2D scrolling adventure game with (Japanese art style). Hope it makes it to NA.
Last edited by fanatic on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Falling prices could be due to slow sales, which is not a bullish sign for new games development.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, very early in LBP and it's a fantastic game...amazing that it's just on a portable. It feels like an actual full-fledged console game...which only a few titles have felt like so far.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Vita sales continue to be poor, causing Sony to reduce sales forecasts again:
Back in May, Sony was confident that its newly launched Playstation Vita and aging PlayStation Portable would combine for a robust 16 million in sales for the fiscal year. Three months later, having sold only 1.8 million portable systems, the company lowered that forecast to 12 million units. Now, after another quarter of weak sales, the company has scaled back expectations yet again, reducing its projection to 10 million portable systems for the year ending March 31, 2013.

Worldwide, Sony sold 1.6 million portable systems in the last three months, less than the 1.7 million PSPs it sold during the same period last year, before the Vita was even on the market. While Sony didn't reveal specific sales numbers for the Vita and PSP separately, it seems pretty clear that Sony expected its newer portable system to make up for declining PSP sales. Instead, the weak portable performance has helped drag Sony's game segment to a ¥1.3 billion ($16.2 million) loss for the first half of the fiscal year, down from a ¥7.1 billion ($88.6 million) profit last year.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/v ... ectations/

Combined with low sales for the 3DS, the conclusion, which many predicted before these systems were even launched, is inescapable:
It seems both companies were overly optimistic about the market demand for dedicated portable game hardware in a world now dominated by smartphones, tablets, and 99¢ downloadable games.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Vita sales continue to be poor, causing Sony to reduce sales forecasts again:
Back in May, Sony was confident that its newly launched Playstation Vita and aging PlayStation Portable would combine for a robust 16 million in sales for the fiscal year. Three months later, having sold only 1.8 million portable systems, the company lowered that forecast to 12 million units. Now, after another quarter of weak sales, the company has scaled back expectations yet again, reducing its projection to 10 million portable systems for the year ending March 31, 2013.

Worldwide, Sony sold 1.6 million portable systems in the last three months, less than the 1.7 million PSPs it sold during the same period last year, before the Vita was even on the market. While Sony didn't reveal specific sales numbers for the Vita and PSP separately, it seems pretty clear that Sony expected its newer portable system to make up for declining PSP sales. Instead, the weak portable performance has helped drag Sony's game segment to a ¥1.3 billion ($16.2 million) loss for the first half of the fiscal year, down from a ¥7.1 billion ($88.6 million) profit last year.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/v ... ectations/

Combined with low sales for the 3DS, the conclusion, which many predicted before these systems were even launched, is inescapable:
It seems both companies were overly optimistic about the market demand for dedicated portable game hardware in a world now dominated by smartphones, tablets, and 99¢ downloadable games.
At first I did not accept that theory thinking both platforms catered to such a different audience. But now I totally agree that these platforms are no longer mainstream. I bought a bunch of 25¢ games from Google's app sales. The other cool thing about Android is that everything is tied to your account and not the hardware. A buddy of mine who bought a N7 after my recommendation said he bought some songs from Google Play and was able to play them on his computer and other devices. He said there's no DRM, which struck me as odd.

The other thing that hurts Sony and Nintendo are the extras that you need. The PS Vita requires a memory card at inflated prices. I like the hardware a lot. Games like Madden and FIFA are off the charts visually and play like their console counterparts. But yeah the hardware is priced too high for the current market and weighing a 25-99¢ game vs $30-40 is not as acceptable as it was back in 2004.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

wco81 wrote:Combined with low sales for the 3DS, the conclusion, which many predicted before these systems were even launched, is inescapable
WTF are you talking about? The 3DS is doing very well. Over 152 million DS units have been sold since its launch, and the 3DS is outpacing the DS when you look at number of units sold in their first 21 months on the market. I'm not saying the 3DS will sell 152 million units when all is said and done, but it's not too shabby to be on a better pace than a system that sold that many units.

According to the NPD data from September of this year 3DS software sales are up 89% year-over-year. Also, the 3DS was the second-best selling hardware in the same September NPD report, just behind the 360 and in front of the PS3. Not sure your argument holds much weight when the evidence is looked at.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:
wco81 wrote: At first I did not accept that theory thinking both platforms catered to such a different audience. But now I totally agree that these platforms are no longer mainstream. I bought a bunch of 25¢ games from Google's app sales. The other cool thing about Android is that everything is tied to your account and not the hardware. A buddy of mine who bought a N7 after my recommendation said he bought some songs from Google Play and was able to play them on his computer and other devices. He said there's no DRM, which struck me as odd.

The other thing that hurts Sony and Nintendo are the extras that you need. The PS Vita requires a memory card at inflated prices. I like the hardware a lot. Games like Madden and FIFA are off the charts visually and play like their console counterparts. But yeah the hardware is priced too high for the current market and weighing a 25-99¢ game vs $30-40 is not as acceptable as it was back in 2004.
The 3DS sales are sandwiched between the 360 and PS3 in the latest NPD report. How is that no longer mainstream? As referenced in my post above, the 3DS is outpacing the wildly successful DS in terms of sales in its first 21 months. That's not too bad, especially considering that Nintendo has some of its heaviest hitters coming out for the 3DS in the next 6 months, which will further increase sales.

What extras do you need with the 3DS? It comes with a card and an adapter. Not sure where you are coming from there. There is no comparison between the $.25-.99 iOS games and the full-featured games on the 3DS. Might as well compare tricycles to cars and the price difference between the two. The sales data obviously show that there is room for both the shallow casual phone games and the more quality games on a dedicated handheld system. I doubt Nintendo is crying too many tears over selling 22 million systems in its first 21 months.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Toon when you look at those PSP Vita and 3DS numbers they don't look too bad. When you factor in what Apple alone sells in just one quarter those numbers are abysmal. Apple isn't even lowering their price like Nintendo did and they out outselling both Sony and Nintendo by a wide mark.

Here are stats for the iPhone and iPad 2 just in 2011. I bet Sony would love to sell close to 10 million Vita's in 3 months? http://www.macworld.com/article/1161212 ... nings.html

When you factor Apple's iOS platform (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) and Android with all types of phones like the Samsung line and all the Android tablets those Nintendo and Sony numbers look even smaller. Samsung broke Apple's sales records with the Samsung Galaxy SIII (30 million phones by the end of 2012) and everyone of those devices can play games.

Also lest not forget if you're a cheap bastard like me you can buy the device and game for free not only with ad-supported games but there are pay games that drop to free especially with iOS. When you combine all of the iOS and Android devices it blows away Nintendo and Sony combined. And when developers see the low cost in making games for those two platforms vs investing possibly millions for a full fledged Vita game those developers will probably go with iOS and Android. And unfortunately they are.

I personally like the Vita, still use it and think it's a fantastic product but the numbers speak for themselves.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Nintendo needs the WiiU to sell well because the Wii and 3DS sales aren't doing it for the company.

That is what the company itself said, that 3DS sales are meeting their expectations.

Vita and 3DS gets the Christmas season coming up, with presumably a lot of high profile games. But man, there are so many electronics gadgets out for sale now.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:Toon when you look at those PSP Vita and 3DS numbers they don't look too bad. When you factor in what Apple alone sells in just one quarter those numbers are abysmal. Apple isn't even lowering their price like Nintendo did and they out outselling both Sony and Nintendo by a wide mark.

Here are stats for the iPhone and iPad 2 just in 2011. I bet Sony would love to sell close to 10 million Vita's in 3 months? http://www.macworld.com/article/1161212 ... nings.html

When you factor Apple's iOS platform (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) and Android with all types of phones like the Samsung line and all the Android tablets those Nintendo and Sony numbers look even smaller. Samsung broke Apple's sales records with the Samsung Galaxy SIII (30 million phones by the end of 2012) and everyone of those devices can play games.

Also lest not forget if you're a cheap bastard like me you can buy the device and game for free not only with ad-supported games but there are pay games that drop to free especially with iOS. When you combine all of the iOS and Android devices it blows away Nintendo and Sony combined. And when developers see the low cost in making games for those two platforms vs investing possibly millions for a full fledged Vita game those developers will probably go with iOS and Android. And unfortunately they are.

I personally like the Vita, still use it and think it's a fantastic product but the numbers speak for themselves.
I don't think you are understanding my point. I could care less what Apple is selling. The point I am making is that dedicated handheld gaming devices are far from being out of the mainstream or are somehow not selling well, as in the case of the 3DS. All I am saying is that the numbers support my contention that there is still a very strong demand for dedicated handheld gaming. All because cheap iOS games are selling in huge amounts is meaningless to the argument when the 3DS is selling just as well up to this point as the DS, and is gaining momentum. Let's say a steak house sells 1 million steaks a year, then a McDonald's comes in starts selling $1 hamburgers. That McDonalds sells 10 million hamburgers a year once it moves in, yet the steak house still sells 1 million steaks. Both places are in a win situation. The McDonald's is selling a cheaper item in much greater numbers, but the more expensive steak house is still making its money by selling the same amount of steaks. I wouldn't call the steak house a failure or out of the mainstream just because a different restaurant starts selling more of a cheaper product.

As for the Vita, I am not even addressing it. It has only been out for 9 months or so and is a part of a 10-year plan by Sony. Handheld sales, as I have pointed out in the past, are always a marathon rather than a sprint. The fate of the Vita is far from set since Sony still needs to cut the price to under $200, and we have yet to see how it will function with the PS4. The Vita's time will come, but it may take a couple years for it to take off in the numbers that will impress people. Hell, I still read what a failure the PSP has been even though it has sold well over 70 million units. If 70 million is a failure then the 360 and PS3 must suck balls too.

In any case, all of the platforms seem to have more than enough support when you look at the sales numbers, and handheld gaming devices are still a very strong part of the gaming market, and will continue to strengthen as the 3DS gains its momentum and once Sony learns how to properly market the amazing Vita.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Data suggests iOS may be the most popular gaming platform of all time
iOS device sales crush consoles and handheld devices, offering a broader user base.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/da ... -all-time/