Madden 09 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Danimal,

I think that was it. That's pretty strong words. It's amazing though, he took issue with it. I don't want to read too much into it, but I suspect that sentiment might be going around.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Dan, I was wondering if that was you, and am glad you posted it. Ian seems to have some pretty thin skin, but I hope he turns the franchise around. It's been a long time coming.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:I just found this funny but I have been called out by the lead designer on Madden because he didn't like my one line post in a thread about making the games shorter. I find it funny because there are far worse comments in that thread and the fact I've been labeled a Madden fan boy at this site in the past, the whole thing just makes me smile.

What it really stems from is I made the below post in the thread announcement about no DLC and since they don't have the balls to come back in that thread and post he found a chance to take a shot at me elsewhere. Do you think it was the snake oil salesmen line that got to him? :)
I'm glad I finally know what is going on and what I am dealing with. I'm just making one post and I am going to tell you that you lost a loyal customer today. One person may mean jack in the big picture and since you really have no idea if I am loyal or not it could be an empty threat to you.

But I was a loyal supporter and defender of your game, some of the anti-EA people like GT who I have battled with and repeatedly stuck up for EA over the years on other forums will probably be in shock by seeing this statement.

I'm done, you're disingenuous people who are only out to market a game. Well played you and Ian fooled me and you will continue to fool many more people next year and probably for years to come. You're snake oil salesmen and good ones, I hope you make this product better in the future but you have no track record of being honest so my hopes aren't high.

No need to ban me or anything like that I will go back into lurker mode for games who do deliver like The Show, NHL and Fifa. Good day, good riddance and good luck to all the people who will endure the same BS next year
Nice post D !

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

GTHobbes wrote:Dan, I was wondering if that was you, and am glad you posted it. Ian seems to have some pretty thin skin, but I hope he turns the franchise around. It's been a long time coming.
Here is my problem he is reacting to the quote I posted by claiming another one line harmless post in a thread full of posts that were terrible is offending him. He isn't even man enough to come back into the DLC thread to comment on what I an others have said, so he chooses another thread to call me out.

The best part about it and what I didn't post because I knew I was on thin ice, is he comes to the thread and says "I totally forgot about this thread I started" then goes on to say how he won't ask for opinions if this is the replies he gets and you're lucky were here blah blah f***in blah.

Lets see your upset that you're not getting opinions on a thread you say you forgot you started, um yeah you're credible.

My problem with the DLC is not that it wasn't released as it was never promised. It is how they handled it, they let it sit for weeks and then come in and make it sound like it was just and idea they decided not to pursue when 3 weeks ago they claimed to have it all working in game. I think at one point we were promised screen shots and status reports.

I'm sure the choice to not release the DLC came from people on higher pay scales then Ian and Phil so just say that, but instead you come across as liars. Chances are they are having to eat this under orders and I get that but it still doesn't make them credible.

Now i am biting my tongue because the f***in ass kissing going on from people like cdkon or WTF he is called is unbelievable. This is why I should stay away from OS.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I agree, Dan...his question about, "don't I deserve some credibility" had me wanting to respond, but I bit my tongue. Credibility has to be earned. So far, he hasn't earned anything, IMO. Before the game was released, he said it was great. Then, after the patches, he said he was really glad that people were "digging" the patches. All he's done so far is stand behind a mediocre (at best) game, while talking of good things to come. We'll see.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well I finally fought my way through a season of franchise losing to the Rams in the wild card round 27-21. Usually I have 2-3 seasons under my belt by this point, I really have no desire to play another one.

Funny thing is the Pro Bowl was the most fun I had with this game, then game was outstanding with lots of sacks and pressure, big hits and big plays.

I'm going to dig up my copy of 2K5 and sim about 5-10 years to get all the old players out of there and try a franchise of that. I'm not about to go hunt for a transfer cable to play with current rosters. I can't believe no one has designed a memory card to get xbox data on a 360 yet.

I am toying with the idea of doing another Madden season and then just playing the game of the week each week instead of following a team, although I don't know if it is possible to play any game on the weeks schedule I want.

Thank God for Fable and Fallout to make up for this mess.
Follow Me on:

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

CAG is reporting that TRU is selling Madden 09 for the 360 for $19.99

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I've actually started playing Madden again and having fun with it. I'm doing a Chargers franchise to have an AFC complement to the Bears franchise I'm doing in Head Coach.

The game has a lot of problems, I'm not going to argue that. But I'm finding it a fair challenge using Heelfan's sliders from OS. I also really enjoy running in the game and am having some success. I also think the CPU has an easier time running against the 3-4, so I've seen some games where the CPU has run. I've even gotten robo QB fairly under control.

I probably won't go past one season, but it's a football game, I like playing offense, and it's the first Madden that graphically doesn't look like complete ass. I also suck enough to not beat the CPU into submission every game. There's my ringing endorsement :P

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I tried to play some Madden this weekend for the first time in a couple months and all it made me do was dig out NFL 2K5. It appears as though updated rosters may be available now for PS2 so maybe I'll fork over the $1 to pick up that version.

I'm debating on how to sell my SE copy of Madden. I may sell it together as I have no doubt Head Coach will be available for $10 or less by early next year. I guess the other option would be to sell Madden without a case or in the SE case.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've been playing 2K5 as well and frankly I forgot how bad the franchise was broken and how poor the DB AI was. It's definitely an immersing game on the field but I get 4 or 5 games into a franchise and I am like ugh...I'd rather play APF

If only APF was designed to be challenging for a single player I would just stick with it but forcing myself not to call too many running plays just so the game stays competitive is not fun. Even doing that I manage 2000+ yards with a generic back in most seasons.

The only thing keeping me playing Madden is my little franchise where I play a different team each week, gets me playing in different stadiums and teams. Even then I guess I didn't know every team in the NFL had 12 variations of the Power O run. The play books in Madden are weak and the game is so lacking in atmosphere it gets boring real quick.

It's been a frustrating 4 years of football gaming, I keep playing these games in small chunks until I get frustrated with one and bounce to the next just because I need a football fix.
Follow Me on:

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

I'm actually enjoying Madden this year. Perhaps it's because I haven't played Madden since ''06. Yes, there is nothing really innovative about it and it definitely has the EA football feel. However, the gameplay has been very competitive this year (at least for me). I'm currently 4-4 in my Dolphins franchise, and have had a variety of different types of games. (Using Heelfan's sliders) The one thing I really like is you have to be smart as a QB. If you try to force a throw into tight coverage, or throw will backpeddaling, it will get picked. I use the "Throw out of bounds" button about 5-6 times a game, and Ive never used it in the past.

Rick

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Danimal wrote:It's been a frustrating 4 years of football gaming, I keep playing these games in small chunks until I get frustrated with one and bounce to the next just because I need a football fix.
I've been alternating between 2k5, NCAA 08, and Madden '08 (all on Xbox1). I play in very small chunks, but the magic and draw of football gaming has been fading fast. It's to the point I've almost given up completely and moved on to non-sports games more and more.
-Matt

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

icvu42 wrote:I'm actually enjoying Madden this year. Perhaps it's because I haven't played Madden since ''06. Yes, there is nothing really innovative about it and it definitely has the EA football feel. However, the gameplay has been very competitive this year (at least for me). I'm currently 4-4 in my Dolphins franchise, and have had a variety of different types of games. (Using Heelfan's sliders) The one thing I really like is you have to be smart as a QB. If you try to force a throw into tight coverage, or throw will backpeddaling, it will get picked. I use the "Throw out of bounds" button about 5-6 times a game, and Ive never used it in the past.

Rick
That's how I feel. I really enjoy the offensive side of the ball. You can throw it deep and for once in Madden, I feel like the size of a receive can make a difference. I've grabbed some passes with Vincent Jackson because he is taller than most DBs.

I had a fun game against the Patriots in my Chargers franchise, which I lost 20-17. I hit Darren Sproles on a beautiful deep pass out of the backfield when a slower linebacker was mismatched against him. Then had another play where one of the Pats took an inside rush on Philip Rivers. I moved to the outside, and my lineman who was initially beat came over to block the pass rusher. That bought me enough time to hurl a deep pass into the endzone, toward Jackson on a deep crossing route. The pass was high, Jackson jumped over the DB for it -- and promptly dropped the pass. It was the most exciting non-completion I'd ever seen in Madden :D

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

pigpen81 wrote:CAG is reporting that TRU is selling Madden 09 for the 360 for $19.99
At 19.99, I figured I would give it a shot. Went to Toys R Us and they still had it at 59.99. Cheapest I could find in any store down here was $54 new at Target or used at Gamestop. Bummer.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I traded mine at Gamestop tonight and got $28. They took it without a case for the same amount so I kept Head Coach. They only offered $2.50 for Head Coach 8O

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

NoJoke wrote:
pigpen81 wrote:CAG is reporting that TRU is selling Madden 09 for the 360 for $19.99
At 19.99, I figured I would give it a shot. Went to Toys R Us and they still had it at 59.99. Cheapest I could find in any store down here was $54 new at Target or used at Gamestop. Bummer.
Sorry.....just reporting a thread from CAG...I gues it was YMMV.

Walmart has it on Black Friday for $30

NoJoke
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by NoJoke »

pigpen81 wrote:
NoJoke wrote:
Sorry.....just reporting a thread from CAG...I gues it was YMMV.

Walmart has it on Black Friday for $30
No worries, and thanks for the heads up for Walmart. Don't know if I will combat the masses on Black Friday, though.

Joe

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Had a really good game in my franchise yesterday that turned very tense at the end against Dallas where I was up 24-14 with 5 minutes to go in the game. Romo and Terrell Owens hook up for their third touchdown in the game to cut the lead to 24-21. Dallas has all three of their timeouts left and kicks the ball to me with just under 2 minutes to go in the game and stuffs me on my first run play, on my second run play Willie Parker breaks free for a first down that should seal the victory but ends up fumbling at my 40 with a minute and a half to go in the game. I end up holding Dallas to a field goal to tie the game and am I'm thinking overtime is coming in this game that I let get away but then it finally happens, with just 5 seconds to go in regulation I get my first kick return for a touchdown all season, a 99 yard return by Mewelde Moore. I had never made it past the 50 on any previous kick returns so it was extra sweet to have my first return win a game as timed expired. 8)

<embed src="http://ll-999.ea.com/sonet-easw/2.7.0.0 ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="height=355&width=425&file=http://videocdn.easw.easports.com/easpo ... f"></embed>

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Nice run back. :mrgreen:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:Nice run back. :mrgreen:
Yep.

Sweet cutback and nice block by 38.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

That's awesome, Vader. I had a KR TD with Sproles in my franchise and it felt very rewarding.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Why is Hines Ward on the kickoff return team? :D

ansonlee
Mario Mendoza

Post by ansonlee »

anyone still playing this? Madden usually sucks but I thought 09 was great.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

I picked up playing an old franchise again since the draft. I enjoyed 09 too, but I'm not as hardcore on football as I am baseball.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr