Tiger Woods 14 thread, part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Tiger Woods 14 thread, part II

Post by DivotMaker »

pigpen81 wrote:Hell, I am just bitter they discontinued the Wii versions as 11 and 12 with wii motion+ was by far the best and most realistic golf sim ever.
Unfortunately the Wii versions were not profitable and EA lost money developing/publishing them. As of this time, there is no mention of a WiiU version, so they aren't very confident in developing for Nintendo's consoles right now. And I agree with you that the Wii versions were very realistic, but that was not enough to make it profitable.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

No words....
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

EA Sports had a minor news update on their Tiger Woods 14 website yesterday, in which they introduce the concept for what I'm guessing is a feature they'll call Swing Style. Here's a link to the news article:

http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/new ... ng-science

From the looks of it, we'll be making choices as to how we'll assign attributes to our created golfer that will affect their: power, flexibility, and accuracy. I'd like to think this would take some of the twitch dependency from Tiger 13's swing out of the game, and have us making a stick control movement that was more analogous to a golf swing. There will be a blog on the website early next week that will explain this 'feature'? in depth.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

[quote="J_Cauthen"
From the looks of it, we'll be making choices as to how we'll assign attributes to our created golfer that will affect their: power, flexibility, and accuracy. [/quote]

Haven't we been doing this for years? The points we have been assigning if not used for the above were used for what exactly?
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Haven't we been doing this for years? The points we have been assigning if not used for the above were used for what exactly?
Yes we have... I was a bit superficial in my analysis of how I think this will work. To expand on it just a bit, the attribute values we assigned last year were for percentage results based on one stock swing that's looking for universal target parameters in each of the six categories. Where I think this new swing style may differ is that your created golfer will have had his own, unique optimum parameters set by the swing style you have tailored based on your attribute assignments. I may choose to have a slower, longer backswing with a moderate downswing as my optimum swing. If I stray from my tailored optimum values in the execution of the swing, I would incur a proportional accuracy and/or power penalty.

This is really hard to explain, especially since the concepts laid out so far are pretty vague. What I'm wondering at this point is will be able to choose any of the unique mo-capped swings of the featured pros to apply to our golfer? It depends on how you interpret this statement in the news article: "we have added golfer-specific Swing Styles". Does that mean animation and parameter tweaking, or just the latter?

I hope the end result is that we will be able to see more uniqueness in the swings of each player's CAGs as we play the game in multiplayer. It would give the game a lot more personality.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I follow what you are saying now and I like it but my fear is this. Lets say there are 5 swing styles, it will only take a few weeks before someone says if you're using swing 1 than you need to assign these attributes for the best results.

Now if swing style 1 is a power hitter with sketchy accuracy. If no matter how you assign points, you can still be inaccurate because of swing execution and style (i.e. there is always a X% chance of missing the spot because you choose to be a big hitter) then we would be on to something.

I hope you are right and they went this route and it works making the game more challenging. However that is a big IF at this point.

I'll admit I am eager to see what there idea of PGA presentation is this year. I hope it feels like I am watching a televised event.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

http://www.ea.com/uk/news/tiger-woods-p ... in+the+UK)

Wait, 'Simulation Difficulty'. Is this the level where the gameplay field evens out for everyone, where my FIR is not guaranteed no matter how much XP's one may have accumulated?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Yeah, to get a bit more specific on this, Simulation entails this:

In Simulation difficulty, the swing meter, green grid, zoom to aim, along with other aids are turned off. This mode is the truest test of skill for the hardcore fans. With this difficulty setting, users can implement the new advanced shot shaping feature to work the ball and attack courses with creativity, just like the pros and Legends.

I've still got some warming up to no-grids to do, but I'm down with the rest of what simulation means... well, as long as it doesn't mean that I've got to watch a "strike meter" for the duration of every shot.

Here's a link to a new "Gameplay features" video that was also added today:

http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/med ... ypRhEBmfLc

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

J_Cauthen wrote:In Simulation difficulty, the swing meter, green grid, zoom to aim, along with other aids are turned off. This mode is the truest test of skill for the hardcore fans. With this difficulty setting, users can implement the new advanced shot shaping feature to work the ball and attack courses with creativity, just like the pros and Legends.
Wasn't that available last year, too? I played a few DSP online tournaments with no putting grid, and I never used the swing meter, zoom to aim or any other aids in online or offline play.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:Wasn't that available last year, too? I played a few DSP online tournaments with no putting grid, and I never used the swing meter, zoom to aim or any other aids in online or offline play.
Zoom to Aim was always available; it couldn't be turned off. Green grid option was there though. I think there are going to be some advanced settings in the Simulation mode that are going to new to all of us. I think the days of the sub-60 rounds in this game are numbered; at least in this new simulation difficulty. 8)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I think the different era play styles could be cool, with different trajectories and spin, etc..

It will be fun to do some daily DSP tournaments on different era settings to spice things up.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Two new blogs have been posted this afternoon. One on Swing Style - http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/new ... style-blog and one on Simulation difficulty - http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/new ... culty-blog

Lots to digest in these two blogs and they actually raise a few more questions that hopefully will be answered soon. I know we had some debate here over grid versus no-grid. It looks like there's and option for a "no bead" grid this year. I think that might be a good compromise between the two camps. But dang it, when you read what's been added to the game this year, it's clear that the devs have listened to the community's desires. I just hope it translates into boosted popularity and sales for the franchise. I've been concerned over the financial health of the Tiger series since 2010.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Two new blogs have been posted this afternoon. One on Swing Style - http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/new ... style-blog and one on Simulation difficulty - http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/new ... culty-blog

Lots to digest in these two blogs and they actually raise a few more questions that hopefully will be answered soon. I know we had some debate here over grid versus no-grid. It looks like there's and option for a "no bead" grid this year. I think that might be a good compromise between the two camps. But dang it, when you read what's been added to the game this year, it's clear that the devs have listened to the community's desires. I just hope it translates into boosted popularity and sales for the franchise. I've been concerned over the financial health of the Tiger series since 2010.
I like the aiming and analog fade strike meter in the sim difficulty. Really should make getting out of the rough tougher and less consistent, and the aiming is much more immersive.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I like what I am reading but it still comes down to execution. Examples
This additional distance comes at a price, as Power golfers have much less room for error in their swing.
Extra distance comes with an extremely small Swing Path on all shots.
All of that comes down to execution. Last year it was far too easy to hit a good swing with killer distance. This is one of those sounds great, hope it works as advertised.
The extra accuracy of a Control golfer is displayed in the aiming marker.
Maybe it was me but I couldn't tell what they were trying to show with this and the other quote in power with the images.
Trajectory changes the altitude of your ball flight on all shots. This impacts three different parts of the game: 1) How far your shots will carry in the air, 2) How far your shots will roll after they land and 3) How much the wind will impact your shot while it is in the air.
That all sounds awesome as long as low trajectory golfers are penalized in some way. Otherwise I see lots of these golfers in our future.
With Zoom to Aim turned off, the camera moves to a lifted state when you try to zoom out. You cannot adjust your aim or see your aimer in this state. All aiming must be done from the home state
Probably made the game a must buy for me by adding this back in alone.
The Analog Fade Strike Meter also comes into play here; once moved, it will disappear. It takes about 1.5 seconds for it to fade away.
Awesome addition
Rethinking the shot, the hole doesn’t set up well for a draw with the wind. In altering the Stance, a straight shot wasn’t possible as it forced me to use a Fade shot once I adjusted Stance.
Don't really understand what this means. Forced me to use a fade?

Still seems like no innovation on reading greens or a 3D green grid. That is disappointing.
Follow Me on:

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

Hello fellow DSP'rs!! Have been following the thread all along. These new features seem and sound awesome. Finally we could be seeing good rounds which are 4-5 under and great rounds that get into the low 60's. I also enjoyed hearing that they are letting us create our swing. I agree with Danimal though that if they didn't make the back to front motion harder than we could see lots of power guys with a high ball flight who can stick it close. Last years game their was no real reason to shape a shot into the green or off the tee. Can't wait to tee it up with you guys!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

[duplicate]
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:The extra accuracy of a Control golfer is displayed in the aiming marker. Maybe it was me but I couldn't tell what they were trying to show with this and the other quote in power with the images.
I couldn't quite figure out what he was talking about here. I can see how the swing path meter shows the affect on accuracy for the shot being set-up though.
"Trajectory changes the altitude of your ball flight on all shots. This impacts three different parts of the game: 1) How far your shots will carry in the air, 2) How far your shots will roll after they land and 3) How much the wind will impact your shot while it is in the air". That all sounds awesome as long as low trajectory golfers are penalized in some way. Otherwise I see lots of these golfers in our future.
I would hope low trajectory shots will have a harder time staying on the green and in the fairways on sharp doglegs, due to their extra roll.
"With Zoom to Aim turned off, the camera moves to a lifted state when you try to zoom out. You cannot adjust your aim or see your aimer in this state. All aiming must be done from the home state". Probably made the game a must buy for me by adding this back in alone.
Yep, this is huge! I think EA Sports is going to be surprised at how much this is going to appeal to a share of the gaming market they've been missing.
"The Analog Fade Strike Meter also comes into play here; once moved, it will disappear. It takes about 1.5 seconds for it to fade away." Awesome addition
It is and another benefit that I see from this for gamers like me, who don't want a lot of swing aids and clutter on the screen while they're swinging, it won't tempt you to watch the cursor and try to hold it in position during the swing.

"Rethinking the shot, the hole doesn’t set up well for a draw with the wind. In altering the Stance, a straight shot wasn’t possible as it forced me to use a Fade shot once I adjusted Stance." Don't really understand what this means. Forced me to use a fade?
Okay, I think I figured out what Justin meant here... his player has a "draw" by default. I read elsewhere that you can't hit a straight shot, outside of 100 yards, or so. When he tried to line up to hit what would amount to a straight shot, his player had to set-up to play a fade, which would result in a slight 'fade' swing path meter. It sounds like a player with a natural draw is going to draw the ball an amount proportional to the maximum distance of the club in hand, if he sets up for a 'straight' swing path.
Still seems like no innovation on reading greens or a 3D green grid. That is disappointing.
Justin did say elsewhere that there is a new tool that will be helpful in at least gauge close proximity break on gridless greens. I guess this is to help remove the elevation/distance information that the aiming cursor put right in our line when trying to gauge slope in Tiger 13. It was really counter-productive on 4 to 10 foot putts.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

One other item I noticed today is that the True-Aim view from the last three years didn't make the cut for this year. Justin said they were having problems getting it to work with some of the other changes made. We'll still get that "True-Aim-esque" view from the tee, that we can elevate to see down the fairway a little better, but we won't be able to zoom with it. That sounds like the option we wanted in an aiming regard at least. And heck, the True-Aim from last year didn't work in Live Tournaments anyway, so I'm only losing True-Aim in online multiplayer.

I just hope the "Presentation" camera doesn't jump to another cut-view at impact, like it was prone to do in Tiger 12 and particularly 13. It takes me out of the moment to not be able to savor the shot from my golfer's perspective for at least 3 or 4 seconds. Some of the shots shown in that 44 second Gameplay Enhancements video today suggested that the swing camera position was going to be held for at least a little while before a cut. It was hard to tell how long because they had so many different golfer swings piled on top of each other. None of the full shots showed the ball coming close to reaching its destination.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

[duplicate part deux]
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

[duplicate... yes another one]
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Welcome back OrthoStud! Did you happen to catch the ticker information in one of the screens that was posted at Operation Sports? It said something about a "Country Club Tour" event! If we have a game managed Club Tour as an option, that's going to really add a lot of flavor to the game (and make life easier for the club administrator :wink: )

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

I'm really excited about the new features as well. I just hope it isn't still easy to have an an almost perfect swing path. Need more sensitivity in the sticks or something. Also, can't wait to read/see more about putting (beardless grid and new tool).

Has the hit the ball over the water and have it placed back on the other side or hit it in the sand and it magically be placed outside of the bunker been fixed?

Has anything been said about gameface? Last year it seemed it took a step back. I would much rather them work on gameplay, was just curious about that though.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TheTruth wrote:I'm really excited about the new features as well. I just hope it isn't still easy to have an an almost perfect swing path. Need more sensitivity in the sticks or something. Also, can't wait to read/see more about putting (beardless grid and new tool).

Has the hit the ball over the water and have it placed back on the other side or hit it in the sand and it magically be placed outside of the bunker been fixed?

Has anything been said about gameface? Last year it seemed it took a step back. I would much rather them work on gameplay, was just curious about that though.
In Simulation mode, I averaged <40% FIR when I played the builds available during TW Community Day......I only played it for 4 days and I feel like there will be a nice learning curve with this year's game....I broke par once out of 50+ rounds in Simulation mode and that was a 67 to win the TW Community Day Tournament. I played almost a perfect round and at the time it was the 2nd best round ever achieved in Simulation mode. The rest of my scores were in the high 70's to mid- 80's with an occasional 90.....what I played was EXTREMELY challenging. The most challenging Tiger I have played since TW2000 for PC. Based upon the TW CD feedback, they did implement our suggestions to make Simulation mode just a bit more challenging, so I am anxious to see what the result is. Our intent was to make sure the new Swing Styles could not be mastered quickly. If they implemented what we asked them to the way we asked them to do it, I think we will be seeing realistic scoring for quite some time even after release.

Putting was also great in Simulation mode with no grids.....you will have to see it to understand it.

Ball positioning has been mostly fixed according to the Devs. The only time it will not place you in the proper lie is when the lie your ball SHOULD be in would cause issues with the golfer animation such as under a low-hanging tree, etc. In my 50+ rounds I only saw the ball be moved to another position once when it came to rest under a low-hanging tree and a Dev saw where my ball landed and said that it was where they intended because there was no way to have the golfer hit from this position due to collision detection issues that would result in a crash.

Spent little time looking at GameFace, sorry. All of the emphasis this year has been gameplay, gameplay challenge, presentation and new licensing to increase immersion into the game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The problem with gameface last year was that the final result not only hardly resembled anything to your mug shot but it took forever to be implemented.

Simulation level sounds intriguing.