MLB 2012 Season

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2012 Season

Post by FifaInspected »

Glad that 162 game pre-season is over. I'm ready for the real season to begin tomorrow!!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Medlen is insane...kid just has some brass balls and isn't afraid to carve guys up. Hopefully it continues. :)

Too bad I'll be resigned to a small window in the corner of my work computer...sh*tty.

And the new format sucks...1 game is ridiculous. It should be a 3 game series so you get to see a teams three best starters, kind of like every other series during the year. So dumb.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but if a team has to play at least 2 more games while its next opponent is waiting, wouldn't they be at a disadvantage as far as their pitchers? Not just their starting rotation but their relievers could be spent.

Also, even if the MLB wanted to do it, they might not be able to convince the networks to carry additional playoff games, especially with the NFL and new TV season running.

I think the ratings for baseball playoffs, including the world series, have been declining, so the networks may not have as much interest in broadcasting more games in October.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Yeah but if a team has to play at least 2 more games while its next opponent is waiting, wouldn't they be at a disadvantage as far as their pitchers? Not just their starting rotation but their relievers could be spent.

Also, even if the MLB wanted to do it, they might not be able to convince the networks to carry additional playoff games, especially with the NFL and new TV season running.

I think the ratings for baseball playoffs, including the world series, have been declining, so the networks may not have as much interest in broadcasting more games in October.
Umm...hello? Win your division so you don't have to worry about it. I guarantee the MLB Playoffs get better ratings than Everybody Loves Raymond reruns on TBS in the middle of the day on a friday or whatever other days they choose to play.

1 game is STUPID. Punishes the "real" wild card winner (the Braves in this case) while giving an inferior team just as good of a shot. There's a reason the rest of the playoffs are multi-game formatted. And yes, I said it was stupid at the beginning of the year when it wasn't the Braves involved.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well at least I was able to stream this fielding debacle at my office. Nothing like being the best fielding team in the league this year and THROWING the game away. What the F? I feel like 34 right now, just wanting to throw sh*t around my office and cuss obnoxiously. ;)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Well at least I was able to stream this fielding debacle at my office. Nothing like being the best fielding team in the league this year and THROWING the game away. What the F? I feel like 34 right now, just wanting to throw sh*t around my office and cuss obnoxiously. ;)
Don't worry. Motte will give all the runs back.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Well at least I was able to stream this fielding debacle at my office. Nothing like being the best fielding team in the league this year and THROWING the game away. What the F? I feel like 34 right now, just wanting to throw sh*t around my office and cuss obnoxiously. ;)
Don't worry. Motte will give all the runs back.
Oh look, another error. Well...it was a good bounceback season I guess after last year's collapse. Nothing like gift wrapping another season for the Cards.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And essentially another on an infield single. Never seen anything like this (sans Brooks Conrad).

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The Cards are the better team anyway so its playing out like it should
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:The Cards are the better team anyway so its playing out like it should
I've got a list of 162 games and a 5-1 head to head record that say otherwise. But if you sh*t the bed in a one game playoff, you gotta lay in it. Still a stupid f*cking system.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Yeah, I'm in agreeance it's a a weak way to determine who advances. I think though in past years the division winner was simply coasting to the finish line and didn't care either way if they won the division or not. A 162 game season should not come down to one game. 2 out of 3 would make a little more sense.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Yeah, I'm in agreeance it's a a weak way to determine who advances. I think though in past years the division winner was simply coasting to the finish line and didn't care either way if they won the division or not. A 162 game season should not come down to one game. 2 out of 3 would make a little more sense.
To be fair, the 2nd WC addition did exactly what MLB wanted...it got Cards and Dodger fans excited through the last week of the season when last year, it would have been over last week. So mission accomplished there. Now who decided on one game? They should be shot. And yes, I said that BEFORE this game too...it's ridiculous.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Infield Fly, are you f***in KIDDING ME. Worst call EVER. Game changing.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Yeah, I'm in agreeance it's a a weak way to determine who advances. I think though in past years the division winner was simply coasting to the finish line and didn't care either way if they won the division or not. A 162 game season should not come down to one game. 2 out of 3 would make a little more sense.
To be fair, the 2nd WC addition did exactly what MLB wanted...it got Cards and Dodger fans excited through the last week of the season when last year, it would have been over last week. So mission accomplished there. Now who decided on one game? They should be shot. And yes, I said that BEFORE this game too...it's ridiculous.
I expect this format will only last for another 2 years or so. Listened to an interview last winter, which Selig explained a 'best of 3' Wild Card format was the direction he was leaning. However, the networks and MLB clubs themselves favored the one game. Once a few teams (ie large market teams) have their collective seasons destroyed in 1 day, there will be change.

personally, believe it should be a 3-game series. Not looking forward to Baltimore's entire post-season lasting an entire 1 day. They deserve better

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Infield Fly, are you f***in KIDDING ME. Worst call EVER. Game changing.
That's embarrassing. Ridiculous call. How could they call that? Wow. Talk about controversy.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

in this case, fans should throw objects on field to demonstrate this injustice. No one's ever been killed by a can or plastic bottle. Save me the drama TBS.

umpires really f#cked the Braves on this. Completely flagrant

edit: umpires gathered for like 20 minutes. You mean to tell me, several of these umpires don't realize the mistake they made, at this point?? Just reverse the damm call.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

expected the umpires to give Cardinals an error on the Chipper Jones at-bat

<sarcasm>

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Travesty. I mean the braves didn't deserve to win but to just be prevented from having a chance by these umps was pathetic.

Good luck Card fans. I'm pulling for you.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Bullshit call. Braves got screwed...and I'm a Phillies fan. It's not that hard to fix and they still didn't fix it after that long 'discussion'. I'd be irate if I were a Braves fan.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Diablo25 wrote:Bullshit call. Braves got screwed...and I'm a Phillies fan. It's not that hard to fix and they still didn't fix it after that long 'discussion'. I'd be irate if I were a Braves fan.
Just remember the Braves got a two run homer they didn't deserve, with the bullshit "time out" call early on, the infield fly call didn't decide the game. If it was 6-1 no one would be moaning, and even in a three run game, not a game changing call. If it was a one run game or tied, I could see the uproar.

And come on, Braves fans at that stadium throwing s***, totally classless. You'd never see a Cardinals fan doing that!
vinny-b wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
I expect this format will only last for another 2 years or so. Listened to an interview last winter, which Selig explained a 'best of 3' Wild Card format was the direction he was leaning. However, the networks and MLB clubs themselves favored the one game. Once a few teams (ie large market teams) have their collective seasons destroyed in 1 day, there will be change.

personally, believe it should be a 3-game series. Not looking forward to Baltimore's entire post-season lasting an entire 1 day. They deserve better
I'm ALL for this one game to decide a Wild Card, even though my team could have been gone tonight. It's great drama and the teams with the best records get rewarded. Ask a Giants fan in 1993, he would have loved a chance for a one game playoff. Teams that don't win the division don't deserve a postseason "series". If the Braves had WON THE DIVISION, they play on.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

No one said the braves had good fans. In fact they are pretty terrible.

I said the call was terrible but the Braves didn't deserve to win...they played like s***. They just had no chance after that crap call.

One game playoff is still stupid and it'll change in a year or two. Bet on it.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:No one said the braves had good fans. In fact they are pretty terrible.

I said the call was terrible but the Braves didn't deserve to win...they played like s***. They just had no chance after that crap call.

One game playoff is still stupid and it'll change in a year or two. Bet on it.
Not pointing you out personally in my comments, (see who I quoted). You're handling it quite well based on how the game turned out and I appreciate your support vs the Nationals.

I wouldn't be so sure this one game playoff goes away, no one (especially the commissioner) wants to see the season end consistently in November. If it changes, the season gets cut from 162 games.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

One thing I thought of in regards to the infield fly.

Neither runner tagged up. If Motte had come out and appealed to 2nd base before throwing a pitch, it would have been three outs. There was no need to pitch to the next hitter.

Of course, they would have had a full scale riot on their hands.

The call was horrible. I do suspect, however, that it was the ump calling infield fly that confused Kozma. I believe he would have caught the ball had the ump not called it.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:I do suspect, however, that it was the ump calling infield fly that confused Kozma. I believe he would have caught the ball had the ump not called it.
100% wrong. Kozma had stopped perusing the ball prior to the umps hand going up. They showed it about fifty times and most of the issue with the call is the timing. It was soooo late. If they called it as soon as the ball went into the air it wouldn't be nearly as bad. But as it stands the runners had zero idea of what to do because it was so late.

Hearing that the Cards were chanting "infield fly" during their celebration is a little bothersome. Sure. Braves fans may suck but if that's true about the cards players that is some bullshit and they lose a lot of my respect...even though it isn't worth much.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Boggs was pitching, not Motte during the infield fly escapade.

Completely agree that Lohse got screwed on that 2 run homerun. Time should not have been called on the pitch prior. In the back of my mind, I was thinking he's going to hit a home run now. Bam!

The Braves made three costly errors. The infield fly obviously was not the sole reason they lost.

On a pop fly an inning or so before that Kozma caught, I was thinking he sure doesn't look at smooth or as confident as Furcal. I miss his tough at bats, slick fielding, and his enthusiasm.

Didn't hear about the Cards chanting "infield fly". That's disturbing.

Gotta love having Wainwright and Carpenter in this short series.

I really feel for the Rangers. Was hoping to see them win it all if the Cards didn't make it back to the WS.