OT: WebOS Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: WebOS Tablet Thread

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the info Jack !

EDIT: I was only to get 2 TouchPads. I got one and sold the other to a friend on the Left Coast.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

HP TouchPad 32GB running Android

35 bids $1,275 :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:HP TouchPad 32GB running Android

Because people can't spend 15 min. looking at a website to figure out how to do it themselves? Idiots. (and no, not talking about you Rod, in this case, lol)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:HP TouchPad 32GB running Android

Because people can't spend 15 min. looking at a website to figure out how to do it themselves? Idiots. (and no, not talking about you Rod, in this case, lol)
:)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
Rodster wrote: I'm trying to do a system update but it keeps dropping out.
Gotta keep trying, this happened to me when I bought it and it took a few tries to get it installed.

Update servers must be getting hammered this days for obvious reasons.

I recommend you install Preware and you install the speed patches availabe trough the app.
What is preware and where do I download it?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

JackB1 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
Rodster wrote: I'm trying to do a system update but it keeps dropping out.
Gotta keep trying, this happened to me when I bought it and it took a few tries to get it installed.

Update servers must be getting hammered this days for obvious reasons.

I recommend you install Preware and you install the speed patches availabe trough the app.
What is preware and where do I download it?
Preware is an app that lets you install homebrew apps, patches, fixes etc.

Here's an article with a how-to video.

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/08/hom ... roundup%29

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Just got back from Best Buy, couple of co-workers and me where able to snag 1 32gb TP each.

I'm keeping the 32gb and selling my "old" 16gb to another co-worker.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If you have an extra let me know. I have a relative who is bugging me about getting one.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Rodster wrote:If you have an extra let me know. I have a relative who is bugging me about getting one.
Best Buy employee says this ws the last lot of TP's in that particular store.

But if I've learned something this last week is that this people are evil liars. :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
Rodster wrote:If you have an extra let me know. I have a relative who is bugging me about getting one.

But if I've learned something this last week is that this people are evil liars. :lol:
Come on we saw you in that pic. You had like 2-3 under your arm. Fork one over. :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Rodster wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:

Come on we saw you in that pic. You had like 2-3 under your arm. Fork one over. :)
Actually I'm the guy incredulously taking the picture! :lol:

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Two apps I want to make this thing the perfect device - netflix and remote desktop so I can easily access my computers at work.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Managed to snag a 32GB at Best Buy this morning. I just couldn't resist the $150 price tag for a tablet. :D

There were people in line at 11:30pm the night before. I was #55 by 5:30am.
-Matt

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I received my onSale order and spent just a few minutes with it. Seems like a quality product, and of course a steal at this price. Compared to the iPad2, it's thicker and seems a little sluggish. I can't really comment on WebOS yet, though initially I like the multitasking, and real flash will be nice.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Naples39 wrote:I received my onSale order and spent just a few minutes with it. Seems like a quality product, and of course a steal at this price. Compared to the iPad2, it's thicker and seems a little sluggish. I can't really comment on WebOS yet, though initially I like the multitasking, and real flash will be nice.
We told you it's a quality unit ! :)

Naples can you stream Live TV to the iPad 2? My next tablets i'm thinking of getting is the rumored Amazon Tablet this fall and possibly an iPad 3.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Netflix doesn't seem likely. It's not available on all Android devices because apparently DRM varies from model to model?

There might be some kind of VNC client, since it comes from open source.

You can apparently disable a lot of debug logging to enhance performance. Flash performance is suppose to be pretty bad and some sites like Hulu are apparently blocking TPs.

On video streaming, I'd really like something like the Sling but not Sling itself, which is gaining a poor reputation for quality and bad service, not to mention gouging on the mobile clients. There is another company called Vulkano and there boxes start at $100 but they're lower resolution than some of the Sling units, though some say the "near HD quality" on iPad is better than Sling. The Vulkano player client is $13 for a universal app. on the App. Store versus $30 each for the iPhone and iPad versions of the Sling app.

Direct TV is coming out with something called Nomad, which would let you copy a lower-resolution copy of your recordings to mobile devices. But you have to pay for MRV and then another monthly charge on top of that. Really a way to antagonize your customers, when you have something like HBO Go which is free -- HBO only wants you to continue to subscribe, but you're always getting new content whereas DTV is just trying to extract more money from you for the content you're already paying for.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

duplicate post.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

F308GTB wrote:Two apps I want to make this thing the perfect device - netflix and remote desktop so I can easily access my computers at work.
It has a VPN app you could use

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Rodster wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I received my onSale order and spent just a few minutes with it. Seems like a quality product, and of course a steal at this price. Compared to the iPad2, it's thicker and seems a little sluggish. I can't really comment on WebOS yet, though initially I like the multitasking, and real flash will be nice.

Naples can you stream Live TV to the iPad 2? My next tablets i'm thinking of getting is the rumored Amazon Tablet this fall and possibly an iPad 3.
Yes, with the sling player app. I paid for that a while back, but expect to use it quite a bit this year. I'm not familiar with the touchpad features yet though.

I have also have airplayer for ipad that streams all my videos from my PC hard drive to ipad. Works great. Also, splashtop remote does a good job showing my pc desktop on my ipad (including video and sound), and I've watched webstreams that way on my ipad. My ipad is doing quite nicely for video thank you very much. :wink:

I've got to play with the touchpad some more.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Naples39 wrote:
Rodster wrote:

Yes, with the sling player app. I paid for that a while back, but expect to use it quite a bit this year. I'm not familiar with the touchpad features yet though.
I should have elaborated. I can play ESPN3 on my HP TouchPad with no app required. It won't play on my Samsung Galaxy Tab unless there's an app i'm not aware of. Also I go to websites that have links that stream Live Sports. The HP TouchPad plays it flawlessly.

Can you do that with the iPad 2 or like you said does it require an App purchase?

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:I should have elaborated. I can play ESPN3 on my HP TouchPad with no app required. It won't play on my Samsung Galaxy Tab unless there's an app i'm not aware of. Also I go to websites that have links that stream Live Sports. The HP TouchPad plays it flawlessly.
Are you getting a flawless stream? My audio is great, but the video tends to lag/freeze.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:
Rodster wrote:I should have elaborated. I can play ESPN3 on my HP TouchPad with no app required. It won't play on my Samsung Galaxy Tab unless there's an app i'm not aware of. Also I go to websites that have links that stream Live Sports. The HP TouchPad plays it flawlessly.
Are you getting a flawless stream? My audio is great, but the video tends to lag/freeze.
Nah no issues for me with ESPN3.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Rodster wrote:
F308GTB wrote:
Nah no issues for me with ESPN3.
I would buy one just for this... how long does it last using flash.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I didn't pay attention to that JRod sorry but the battery is rated for under 10 hours.