OT: Windows 7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Maybe they'll be a way to do it, but as of now, I can't find any info on how to make it happen. I tried to burn the image, but it just won't boot from it.
Here you go:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/h ... dows_7_dvd

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Genius...thanks Mix. I had already done most of that and figured out how to get it on a dvd in the correct form, but it wasn't an iso so I couldn't burn it. Muuuuuuch better now.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Some interesting bit of news which I got from a techie website. It appears you can do a fresh/clean install of Windows 7 via the UPGRADE edition. No previous OS or disc is required prior to install.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Both my laptop and desktop are still running pretty good so I'll wait on W7 until I get a new desktop...which, at the earliest, would be this summer. I really don't have a problem with Vista. Maybe I am clueless but its been fine for me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Picked up a copy of W7 Ultimate at Office Depot. According to the Office Depot I purchased it at they have had a hard time keeping W7 in stock.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:Some interesting bit of news which I got from a techie website. It appears you can do a fresh/clean install of Windows 7 via the UPGRADE edition. No previous OS or disc is required prior to install.
Interesting...waiting for my copy of the Professional Upgrade version to come from Best Buy...I would have thought it would require a licensed copy of the previous OS. I have Vista 32, so I am covered either way.

I am concerned that I will be limited with the Professional Upgrade Edition to installing this on only one machine. I hear that each copy, unless specified for use with multiple machines, can only be installed on one machine. This was not the case with Vista....hoping to put this on my desktop and laptop as I have RC1 on both now.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DivotMaker wrote:
Rodster wrote:Some interesting bit of news which I got from a techie website. It appears you can do a fresh/clean install of Windows 7 via the UPGRADE edition. No previous OS or disc is required prior to install.
Interesting...waiting for my copy of the Professional Upgrade version to come from Best Buy...I would have thought it would require a licensed copy of the previous OS. I have Vista 32, so I am covered either way.

I am concerned that I will be limited with the Professional Upgrade Edition to installing this on only one machine. I hear that each copy, unless specified for use with multiple machines, can only be installed on one machine. This was not the case with Vista....hoping to put this on my desktop and laptop as I have RC1 on both now.
According to MS and a techie website I visit a lot only the OEM versions are tied to one machine. So if you buy the retail upgrade or full version the license can be transferred over to another machine but will require a phone call to MS.

I finished the install yesterday without a hitch, love W7 btw. Also there are some issues doing a clean install from an upgrade version. Someone already figured out how to activate it legally. Thank you MS for not telling us. :P

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs ... nswer.aspx

p.s. In most cases just clicking on activate software will do the trick. When it doesn't follow the guide above.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:Both my laptop and desktop are still running pretty good so I'll wait on W7 until I get a new desktop...which, at the earliest, would be this summer. I really don't have a problem with Vista. Maybe I am clueless but its been fine for me.
Same boat...Clueless and scared of any new versions of anything.

I never had an early version of Vista so I dont know what problems Im supposed to be having.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So the main difference for me between premium and pro is that one doesn't have XP mode. I guess the question is how much will I need that.

They have a family pack premium upgrade for $149 for 3 machines, while the single upgrade is $119,

I have 5 xp machines but only 3 are in use the other 2 act as servers so that seems like a good deal. Just don't know if I'll need the XP mode or not.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I used the in-place upgrade to go from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows Ultimate 64-bit. Went off without a hitch. Happy with it, but wouldn't pay a great deal to have it, as I was happy with Vista, and W7 is a relatively minor jump.

You've always been able to use the Upgrade version of Windows to do a clean install. You just have to install it, not put in the product key, and then install it again and this time use the product key. This trick worked with both Vista and XP and probably previous versions too. I imagine that MS would rather keep it that way than deal with the CS headaches that having a strict prerequisite could cause.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FatPitcher wrote:I used the in-place upgrade to go from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows Ultimate 64-bit. Went off without a hitch. Happy with it, but wouldn't pay a great deal to have it, as I was happy with Vista, and W7 is a relatively minor jump.

You've always been able to use the Upgrade version of Windows to do a clean install. You just have to install it, not put in the product key, and then install it again and this time use the product key. This trick worked with both Vista and XP and probably previous versions too. I imagine that MS would rather keep it that way than deal with the CS headaches that having a strict prerequisite could cause.
I did a clean install (upgrade edition) with no OS on the hard drive on two machines without requiring a second install. All you have to do is one registry edit and run a command fom the command prompt and then you'll be able to activate it with no problems. ;)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Now that I've had several days with W7 I have to say I really like it. I haven't had any problems with software or any crashes. It seems stable and is very user friendly. So far I think it deserves the buzz it has been getting.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Now that I've had several days with W7 I have to say I really like it. I haven't had any problems with software or any crashes. It seems stable and is very user friendly. So far I think it deserves the buzz it has been getting.
Yup, it's legit.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Can you guys tell me if I should go Premium or Professional?
Follow Me on:

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I would always take Professional over any Home version but that might just be me. Here's a look at the differences between all versions.

I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:Now that I've had several days with W7 I have to say I really like it. I haven't had any problems with software or any crashes. It seems stable and is very user friendly. So far I think it deserves the buzz it has been getting.
Yup, it's legit.
It's still early. :wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Yup, it's legit.
A year is early? With Betas and RTMs? What do we need, 5 years to decide?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've seen the list, I guess I am wondering if I need XP compatibility mode and how well it works. I don't see anything else on that list i need.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I bought Ultimate or XP compatibility mode and now I wish I hadn't. It's run in it's own window and is running in emulation mode so don't try running a gamein it because performance will be an issue. :wink:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: Yup, it's legit.
A year is early? With Betas and RTMs? What do we need, 5 years to decide?
What do you expect a PS3/Mac guy to say, LOL. :lol:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:I bought Ultimate or XP compatibility mode and now I wish I hadn't. It's run in it's own window and is running in emulation mode so don't try running a gamein it because performance will be an issue. :wink:
I've been using Windows XP media center edition the last few years and never made the upgrade to Vista but am going to upgrade to Windows 7 and the XP compatibility mode was the only thing that interested me in the professional version also, so looks like I'll be good to go with just the premium.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I got the family pack premium upgrade. I have 5 machines that need to be upgraded so this will do 3 of them, I think I'll leave 2 on XP for now.

Now the long process of backing up tons of stuff.
Follow Me on:

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Coming from somebody who doesn't really use his home laptop (which has Vista installed) for anything more than surfing the internet, using ITunes and Word, does anybody see a reason to upgrade? Does it make the initial start-up or shut-down significantly faster? Thanks.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

GTHobbes wrote:Coming from somebody who doesn't really use his home laptop (which has Vista installed) for anything more than surfing the internet, using ITunes and Word, does anybody see a reason to upgrade? Does it make the initial start-up or shut-down significantly faster? Thanks.
Windows 7 is vastly superior to Vista in every way even though it's based on Vista code. It's what Vista should have been from the start. It boots up and shuts down faster, and performs applications and tasks much quicker than Vista. If you like Vista then there's really no reason to upgrade. But if you are interested to see what Vista should have been then by all means upgrade to Windows 7.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just to be clear. I have an XP Pro on my machine and I just ordered Winows 7 Pro upgrade. Because it's supposed to be a clean install I don't need to buy the full version correct?