Battlefield: Bad Company, anyone?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Zeppo wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
Zeppo wrote: Traded it in? Wow
Isnt there a download coming?
Err, yeah. My understanding it that a big part of the 'exclusivity deal' MS shelled out to RockStar for included tons of DL content. Who knows if anyone will remember that. . . but one thing I am hoping for is a lot more co-op missions, because as anyone who's played with me would know, I can't get enough of that stuff.

Sorry for the threadjack. Can we split threads here?

If the DL content is worth anything, I'll surely buy it back...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Just some further clarification on the squad concept and some other thoughts that I posted in the 'Poker Night' thread but thought it may be useful here...

It's 4 'friends' in a squad, with 8 other 'randoms' on one side against 12 'randoms' on the other. The overall feeling is very similar to playing Co-Op but instead of playing against the CPU, you're playing with other and against real people. There is no trash talking, no lobbies to sit around and wait in, no teabagging, etc... There are some frustrating sessions but there are also a lot of very rewarding ones. Some sessions I feel like I can't do anything but get killed over and over, then others where I feel like I (and my squad) are unstoppable. It seems almost like for every frustrating game I have, I'll then have two very satisfying ones.

I've heard some people complain about spawn killing but that is total bullsh*t! One of the very neat/unique things about the game is the choice on where and when to spawn. You can either spawn at a random (and usually well placed) spot in your current ‘controlled’ area OR spawn with your squads current location. What some people get frustrated with is the fact that they die right after spawning with their squad that is already under heavy fire. You can see what is happening onscreen when you have the spawn choice so it is almost completely the players fault if they choose to spawn with their squad at a crappy time. Even the game states the choice as something like ‘highly risky but usually much closer to the action’ (squad spawn) or ‘less risky but further from the action’ (controlled area spawn).

I’ve had very, very few instances of what I felt was unfair. The fact is that there are some people that are quite good at the game, but even the best players I’ve come up against have weaknesses and you eventually figure them out. Example…there are some guys that are great with the helicopters and they are a huge pain in the ass if you are not equipped correctly or are stubborn. If you keep trying to battle against a chopper with the wrong ‘kit’ selection then you will not win. However, if you get killed by a chopper and no one else is bothering with it, respawn with the correct kit (Recon, I believe) that has the lasing gear and air strike the thing. Tanks can also be a huge pain in the a$$ but are really easily taken out with either the lasing gear or some C4. On the flipside, choppers and tanks are HUGE fun when on the damaging end.

The only other thing that I have been remotely frustrated with is the feeling like it only takes a couple shots for me to get killed but I have to unload a freakin’ clip into someone else to kill them. As I have gotten better and more used to the game this has lessened. It also has a lot to do with weapon selection. If you decide to continue spawning at close quarter combat areas you may want to choose a Demolition kit that has a shotgun type weapon.

All my gripes/issues just solidify that there is a great deal of strategy and fun with experimenting in spawn placement/timing, kit selections and vehicle usage.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco