OT: Lost is back!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

I coming to think of the flash forwards as the current story, and the island scenes as being what the flashbacks were in previous seasons.

I was bummed to see Ben still around, but did anyone really think they'd kill him off? At best I hoped they would leave him stranded on the island somehow. Who knows, anything can still happen once the story catches up to the flash forwards. I'm hoping this season will take us up to that point. That would leave season 5 for getting back to the island and season 6 for the happily ever after ending where the story reaches its conclusion and they wrap up all the loose ends.

I'm still waiting for some explaination to the 4-toed statue.
-Matt

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Wow........ 8O
Kate's baby that she lied to Sawyer about?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

WCO, that was Aaron! Claire's kid!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Slumberland wrote:WCO, that was Aaron! Claire's kid!
Was I the only one who saw that from a mile away? At least from the time of that laundry line scene, where she refused to touch the creepy little thing. I guess the ol' blind squirrel deal applies here, I get lucky once in a while.

Something occurred to me at one point last night, as I wondered 'is this all cyclical?' I mean, here we have new people arriving to the island, and the people already there (original Losties) have decided to run and hide and are living at the dorms. . . . Sure, there's no book club yet, but give it time!

Now my big question (besides the four toed statue that hangs over everything for me :D ) is wtf is up with Ben? What is this magical power that he has?

And boy, but Locke has gone completely loony.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Zeppo wrote:
Slumberland wrote:WCO, that was Aaron! Claire's kid!
Was I the only one who saw that from a mile away? At least from the time of that laundry line scene, where she refused to touch the creepy little thing. I guess the ol' blind squirrel deal applies here, I get lucky once in a while.
Awww crap... I can't believe I didn't see that one coming. I was too keyed in to the fact that I thought Sawyer knocked up Kate.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I don't think I saw it as early as Zeppo, but both me and my girlfriend called it as soon as they showed her car pulling up to the house after the trial.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Naples39 wrote:I don't think I saw it as early as Zeppo, but both me and my girlfriend called it as soon as they showed her car pulling up to the house after the trial.
Yep,

I got an eerie feeling as it was happening. I was telling my girl, I bet you it's Aaron! I bet you it's Aaron! Boom!! :lol:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

My laugh out loud moment was the 2 two rescuers sitting by the fire, Jack walks up & says "no one's answering this number" & the chick says "well, we have another, but it's only for emergencies".

LOL, this chick was being held at gunpoint by some crazy dude (Locke) the day before and another person from her team is missing (the ghostbuster)!!! What the hell is an "emergency"? 8O

edit:i like to make fun of this show, but the aaron moment was pretty cool. I like the idea the survivors must have sacrificed or f**ked over the rest of the camp to save themselves. nice twist.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Zeppo wrote:Now my big question (besides the four toed statue that hangs over everything for me
Glad it's not just me :)

If I was Locke I would have planted the grenade in Ben's mouth.
-Matt

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

matthewk wrote:
Zeppo wrote:Now my big question (besides the four toed statue that hangs over everything for me
Glad it's not just me :)
To paraphrase Sayid himself, I don't know what I found more disturbing, the four toed foot itself, or the way Sayid delivered that 'four toes' line!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I probably zoned out on the baby moments. If they had Walt there I wouldn't have noticed.

How far into the future is it suppose to be?

Did the kid grow a lot since the island?

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

wco81 wrote:I probably zoned out on the baby moments. If they had Walt there I wouldn't have noticed.

How far into the future is it suppose to be?

Did the kid grow a lot since the island?
Yeah, I think somewhere in the dialog they said the crash was "4 years ago", and the kid looked about 4...

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I thought that was an incredible episode... great mix of sci-fi, emotion, plus a nice one-episode arc but with huge ramifications for the larger storyline. One of my faves.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Slumberland wrote:I thought that was an incredible episode... great mix of sci-fi, emotion, plus a nice one-episode arc but with huge ramifications for the larger storyline. One of my faves.
It truly was an incredible episode. Might be my overall favorite.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Lost has a high female demographic. The more they talk about sci-fi junk like the 'time riffs' or 'wormholes', I hear the sound of channels changing...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

greggsand wrote:Lost has a high female demographic. The more they talk about sci-fi junk like the 'time riffs' or 'wormholes', I hear the sound of channels changing...
Funny, I thought that episode really elevated the whole Desmond-Penny romance...melodramatic but still touching. At the risk of stereotyping, I think that would definitely appeal to that demographic.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Loved the episode this week!!! The Desmond/Penelope story line is my favorite ever since the episode where we found out that she has been searching for him all this time. Their phone call at the end of the episode was one of the most fulfilling moments in the series for me.

I couldn't care less about the foot-statue, I want to see Des and Pen finally reunited. Man, I'm such a puss.... :roll:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Here you go Zepp...your new avatar!!!

XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It was a good story but really do they need the whole ep. to dramatize that the island messes up people's perceptions of time and space, not to mention navigation equipment?

That's how the plane crashed in the first place right?

So they're dangling what they freighter people are about for the future.

Sayid and Desmond land on the boat and the crew there are secretive. Even crew members like that communications officer are kept out of the loop.

You know, like how the Losties kept things from each other or Jack and Locke kept info. to themselves?

Everyone is Machiavellian and have their own agendas instead of people in a crisis situation -- being stranded on an island or lost at sea -- maybe trying to band together instead.

Then of course, there's always this malevolent presences, first the mysterious Others and now, these boat people.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Slumberland wrote:I thought that was an incredible episode... great mix of sci-fi, emotion, plus a nice one-episode arc but with huge ramifications for the larger storyline. One of my faves.
Word. Just caught up on the past 3 eps and I'm loving this season.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

You know, I was just explaining the episode to a non-fan and it struck me how amazing it is that a show can do an episode that's a virtual homage to Slaughterhouse Five and still be one of the top rated shows on TV LOL

PS Extra credit to the writers for reminding me of Vonnegut, which in turn reminds me of his brilliant cameo in "Back to School." :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Came across a cool forum post. I love this crazy $hit. :)

Sister Carrie wrote: 12h 9m ago
I was trying to find out more about the literary character Captain Gault and ended up stumbling upon a bunch of papers presented at a conference sponsored by the British Society for the History of Science (BSHS) on science and literature in 19th-century Britain. I didn’t’ find out much about Captain Gault, but I did find this.

It absolutely BLEW my mind. Read this description (which I’ve heavily clipped) of the novel “The Coming Race” and its links to Michael Faraday, Jurassic animals, and maybe even the smoke monster! If the writers did not have this novel (and especially the scientific interpretation given below) in mind when they created “Lost,” then I give up! Here it is (I know it’s long, but try to wade through. Everything fits!):

“The purpose of my paper is to discuss E. Bulwer-Lytton’s “The Coming Race” (1871) in the context of the ‘scientific bent’ of Victorian utopian fiction. Universally regarded as the first post-Darwinian prognostic utopia, it is characterized by the heavy stress on biological and social evolutionism, but also hints at a wide range of contemporary interests. Its scientific as well as pseudoscientific material includes suggestions from geology, electromagnetism, linguistics, phrenology and psychology.

“The subterranean world where ‘the coming race’ lives has a markedly oxymoronic quality, with its display of Jurassic animals and plants and its futuristic mechanical inventions. Likewise, the inhabitants combine animism and use of radioactivity.

“Philogenetically, however, they are several mutations ahead of ordinary mankind. Their touch provokes a sort of electric shock, of variable intensity. It can heal or kill, induce sleep, communicate thoughts, but also erase all information from the brain of the receiver.

“The origin of this power is a mysterious agent, Vril, that gives the name to the utopian race, the Vril-ya. Vril is declaredly the fictional interpretation of Michael Faraday's discovery of electromagnetic induction. ‘VR’ is the transliteration of the Sanskrit word-root indicating the life force. It is the life principle in the Vedas, the equivalent of the Stoics' pneuma, both merged in the concept of the magnetic field.

“Vril is the modern version the philosophers' stone, the life principle that Bulwer-Lytton claimed Faraday had revealed. The mythical pattern of the descent into the underworld is here employed to convey a message for contemporaries and posterity. It is a strongly self-protecting message, in keeping with the utopian fixations (all utopian communities are exceedingly exclusive and self-protective). Will a superior race have the upper hand?

“The novel voices the fear of some imminent danger, a theme in Victorian scientific plots: extinction is at hand, possibly self-inflicted through the abnormal development of technology.”

I haven’t had a chance to read any of “The Coming Race” yet, but I was really struck by the fact that the author used Michael Faraday’s scientific findings/theories to construct an exclusive, self-protected utopian society that combines the highest technology with the basest forms of spiritualism. And Vril, the mysterious agent derived from electromagnetic induction with the power both to kill and to cure? Is that the smoke monster?

P.S. I scanned all the “Lost” theories boards and have not seen this one mentioned yet.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Anyone care to explain that Jin-whoo ha last night?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

greggsand wrote:Anyone care to explain that Jin-whoo ha last night?
I think they just mixed a flashback and a flash-forward. However, with the Desmond episode where he kept traveling back and forth from past and present, it wouldn't surprise me if there are parallel time frame possibilities.

Good episode. I'm completely hooked again.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Brando70 wrote:
greggsand wrote:Anyone care to explain that Jin-whoo ha last night?
I think they just mixed a flashback and a flash-forward. However, with the Desmond episode where he kept traveling back and forth from past and present, it wouldn't surprise me if there are parallel time frame possibilities.

Good episode. I'm completely hooked again.
Yes, references to Jin are in flashback, in conjunction with the big reveal "I'm only married two months." He is executing a courier mission on behalf of his father-in-law. That's why the Panda was so important. In addition, Jin belies some of his old self "I'll catch you and I'll tear your head off". Also, the storeowner refers to the year of the Dragon (2000).

Sun, meanwhile, is one of the O6 and (in her flashforward) is having her baby.

Reluctant people online contend Jin may still be alive "on the island," but the way Sun and Hurley visit the gravesite (Hurley: "Ready to go see him") implies finality to me. Shame as I like him alot. We'll just have to see where the writers take this.

By the way, is the concensus that the O6 consists of:
Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sun, Aaron, Sayid?