My 360 has both feet in the grave :(

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:
JackB1 wrote:On a side note, I tried the "towel trick" last night and it did work, but for only 10 minutes and then I got the 3 red rings again. Maybe I didn't "cook" it long enough? So I guess if you try it, YMMV. At this point I think I will just wait for my "coffin" from MS and wait until they fix it or send me back a working machine. Downside is that I will be off XBL for however long it takes (2 weeks?).
The towel trick? What the heck is that??
Well they did give you a link...why don't you click on it?

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Oh the link that was buried in the middle of the 30th M$ sucks rant? Gee missed that.

Thanks thread COP! Will you sign my baseball card?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:Oh the link that was buried in the middle of the 30th M$ sucks rant? Gee missed that.

Thanks thread COP! Will you sign my baseball card?
I only sign T*TS. I'm sure you've got em...so bust em out.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Enough of playing with the 'special kids', back to the actual thread:

The towel trick looks like a poor man's "hot air gun" deal I saw last year. I have a buddy with a dead 360, definately worth a shot - it's not like u could break it more. How does anyone think, I'll take my 360 and wrap it in a towel!

I imagine the only risk would be burning down your house. Which is, well, risky...

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

I successfully completed the X-clamp mod a month or so ago on a friend of mines 360. Still going strong. There is a thread about it somewhere on here. I don't have a link off the top of my head but it wasn't TOO hard and I had maybe 10-15 bucks in it and 3-4 hours. Basically all you do is take it all apart (not too bad but can be a pain) and remove the X clamps that hold the heatsinks to the mother board. You then put the hear sinks back on with screws and washers and put new thermal paste on the cpu and gpu. Turn it on, heat it up, let it cool and all should be good to go!

I would be willing to do it for anyone here that is not wanting to take it on themselves.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Well after watching this thread for a week, 3 nights ago I get a freeze up,and after clearing the cache, last nite it played fine. Then tonite, another freeze,and then the dreaded 3 red rings.Had it about 10 months.In the manual it says 90 day warranty, but I've been reading 1 year on this thread. Am I missing something?
I've been strongly considering a Ps3 for The Show anyhow,and this is probably going to push me over the edge.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Microsoft may have finally begun modifying the console. Admitting their problem at this point is beyond absurd, but I guess better late than never???

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/13/micr ... g-finally/

Still leaves the US out in the cold, along with every poor bastard who bought a machine up until now. My 360 hist eBay this weekend while it still works so I can get some value for it.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

snaz16 wrote: I've been strongly considering a Ps3 for The Show anyhow,and this is probably going to push me over the edge.
I'd wait if you could. Sony is in free fall right now, they only sold 80k units in May, thats the second month straight without cracking the 100k mark, in fact May was worse then April I believe. They are doing far worse in Japan.

They have a surplus of inventory and really a somewhat lackluster games lineup for fall when you compare it to the 360 and Wi. All that leads to an impending price cut.

If MS has any kind of brains what so ever they will reduce the premium price to $299 for this fall. Shoddy hardware or not at $299 with their fall lineup they would make a killing. I just think their too arrogant to do it though.

I love my PS3, but I still don't think it was worth the price tag. That could be because I have far less anger towards my 360 then other recent PS3 adopters, or the fact that for close to $700 I am playing one PS3 game and some old PS2 titles.

As always YMMV.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Danimal wrote:
snaz16 wrote: I've been strongly considering a Ps3 for The Show anyhow,and this is probably going to push me over the edge.
I'd wait if you could. Sony is in free fall right now, they only sold 80k units in May, thats the second month straight without cracking the 100k mark, in fact May was worse then April I believe. They are doing far worse in Japan.

They have a surplus of inventory and really a somewhat lackluster games lineup for fall when you compare it to the 360 and Wi. All that leads to an impending price cut.

If MS has any kind of brains what so ever they will reduce the premium price to $299 for this fall. Shoddy hardware or not at $299 with their fall lineup they would make a killing. I just think their too arrogant to do it though.

I love my PS3, but I still don't think it was worth the price tag. That could be because I have far less anger towards my 360 then other recent PS3 adopters, or the fact that for close to $700 I am playing one PS3 game and some old PS2 titles.

As always YMMV.
I'm still wrestling with it. I could go the ps2 route..(I really want "The Show"),or even fire up MVP 05 Pc, but I always want the best and latest,and the $$ isn't the problem,and with the wife's impending Sony XBR in Sept, a Blue Ray will fit nice. And the fact I'm strictly sports games,the Ps3 will have all the games I'd play anyway.
Now what about the 360 warranty? Is it 90 days per the manual,or 1 yr?

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Its a year. I think the manuals were already printed before the announcement of the longer warranty. Give them a call and get it fixed ASAP.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

greggsand wrote:Enough of playing with the 'special kids', back to the actual thread:

The towel trick looks like a poor man's "hot air gun" deal I saw last year. I have a buddy with a dead 360, definately worth a shot - it's not like u could break it more. How does anyone think, I'll take my 360 and wrap it in a towel!

I imagine the only risk would be burning down your house. Which is, well, risky...
Here is the link again in case you missed it:
http://thexboxdomain.net/2007/01/15/the ... ixes-360s/

Basically, you wrap up your console only (remove HD) in a towel, blocking the vents and leave it on for 10-15 mins. Let it cool for about an hour and then try it out. Basically, it heats up and probably melts the contacts/solder between the GPU and the board and re-connects everything. I tried it once and it only worked for 10 mins, but many folks are reporting much better results than me. I think it's worth a shot if you have a dead console lying around.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That sounds crazy. The plastic case will melt long before the solder.

Hell why not bake it in the oven?

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

wco81 wrote:That sounds crazy. The plastic case will melt long before the solder.

Preheat 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

wco81 wrote:That sounds crazy. The plastic case will melt long before the solder.

I know it sounds crazy, but apparantly it has worked for many people.
Look at that thread. There are even Youtube videos showing it working.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

JackB1 wrote:

I know it sounds crazy, but apparantly it has worked for many people.
Look at that thread. There are even Youtube videos showing it working.
It's more than just wrapping a towel around it. You should really be fixing the x-clamp as well, since that's what's really causing the problem to begin with. The Towel fix without an x-clamp mod will probably just break again in a matter of time. The clamp is putting stress on the motherboard which is causing the solder to break once it reaches a certain temperature. There are numerous reports of this working on xbox modding sites.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I have some good news maybe about my new 360...It seems the problem was Forza. Apparently My old 360 ate it...No problems with other games as yet...

Now, if this holds true, I have to buy another f***in copy of Forza ... I love that game :cry: :cry: :cry:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Mine bit it today. Turned it on and loaded a game, then the screen went all blue. Took the game out and tried to reboot it and got the three lights. XBox support game me the usual song and dance about $140 and my rep kept that figure.

So here's my question: are newer XBox 360s having this problem? I would be willing to buy another one.

The other question is, can I just buy a Core system and use my hard drive? I have two wireless controllers already, so I don't need the extra stuff.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:The other question is, can I just buy a Core system and use my hard drive? I have two wireless controllers already, so I don't need the extra stuff.
Yes. I did that when my first one crapped out...then I just sold the refurb I got back from MS.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I may try and see if I can get the warranty extended (what Jack did) and then send it in. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what I'll do. Well, I know one thing I won't do, pay $140 to those f***ers. If that falls through, I'll probably either buy a Core and swap in my gear, or say f*** it and get a PS3. I'm not even going to pretend I won't have something by August with football games dropping.

The only thing is that I am really looking forward to playing Mass Effect, which (for now) is a 360-only title. That plus XBL have me leaning toward getting a Core if I can't resolve my repair issue.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Many are saying MS is overdue for a pricecut too, and who knows, it may be by August, because if they do a price cut, it might as well come before Halo3's release.

They're still suppose to get 65 nanometer chips. Maybe that's why they're not making any changes to the current board, because they're going to be doing a big hardware revision soon enough.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

For those who never saw it, there is a website dedicated to having your XBox360 Blog all by itself. Essentially it uses your time online, games played and achievements to index a list of 'funny' entries. I've been playing PS3 lately, and plan to sell my 360 mainly because my first one bit the dust and I just don't trust the console's reliability, which makes these entries really ironic:

http://www.360voice.com/tag/Sport73

I was waiting for Sport73 to show up yesterday and hang out, but he didn't. You know some day Sport73 is really going to need me, and maybe I won't be there, then he will see how it feels.

Sport73 would tell you I am a patient Xbox 360... little does he know... I have a bit of a temper if I am neglected.

I swear that after 18 days of inactivity I can feel parts of me rusting... I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE!! PLEASE! SAVE YOUR CONSOLE![/i]
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That was funny.

Also scary that someone had the time to make a site like that, but funny none the less.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:The other question is, can I just buy a Core system and use my hard drive? I have two wireless controllers already, so I don't need the extra stuff.
Yes. I did that when my first one crapped out...then I just sold the refurb I got back from MS.
How much can a refurbished 360 get on Ebay these days? I am thinking $100-$150? That would cut the proce of a new core in half to $150. I think I might go that route :D

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

JackB1 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
How much can a refurbished 360 get on Ebay these days? I am thinking $100-$150? That would cut the proce of a new core in half to $150. I think I might go that route :D
The refurb may last longer than a new console. Chances are it has went through some testing, a little TLC, and from reports maybe even another heatsink. I would keep the refurb before buying a new one as you don't know what your getting unless you buy an elite.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

SEMINOLE wrote:
JackB1 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote: Yes. I did that when my first one crapped out...then I just sold the refurb I got back from MS.
The refurb may last longer than a new console. Chances are it has went through some testing, a little TLC, and from reports maybe even another heatsink. I would keep the refurb before buying a new one as you don't know what your getting unless you buy an elite.
Well, after cooling off from being pissed last night, I decided to just get the console fixed. I called up and tried to haggle to no avail, so I paid the money. With the one year warranty they provided on the repaired unit, it actually made more sense that going out and spending $300 for a Core and getting a 90-day warranty.

They are Kojak and I am the sucker.