DSP Grand Prix Legends League

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Piggy,

Thanks! I still need a ton of work, but its pretty rewarding to knock down your times at tracks that were previously impossible to do.

John

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

ProvoAnC wrote:I'll join in when I can...still waiting for the stars to align
The stars should align within the next couple days according to USPS. See PM for tracking info. :)

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

PK...and othe new guys, David Fletcher of the ADC sent this out today. I will probably jopin this division as the average is way to fast for me:

In the hope that there may be potential prospects that
don't visit the forum regularly, I've decided to email
this solicitation to the GPL membership.

As some of you may be aware, we are in the process of
developing another ADC Division. Tentatively, the name
of the division will be the ADC GPL Training Division.
The intent of this Division is to provide a place
where newbies and less-talented racers can learn
racecraft, without the pressure of having faster
drivers present. Based on what we've read in our
forums and elsewhere, there seems to be enough new
blood discovering GPL, and enough established
struggling drivers, that this Division can be of
benefit.

The Board has been working on this for several weeks
now, and we feel that we have the basic parameters put
together. We are at a point now where to go forward,
we need to get people in place to attend these events
and act as instructors/mentors. Without people in
place to provide this aspect, we cannot start the
Division. For the record, Robby Canty will be acting
as the Division Director.

As I said, we have most of the parameters established,
but we'd prefer not to advertise specifics yet. We'd
like to get the people together who are willing to act
as instructors, and then we'll lay out the plan to
them to see if we need to make any adjustments. The
one thing that we will say, and this is to help any
possible instructors determine if this is good for
them schedule-wise, is to say that the Americas
component of this Division will be running on Tuesday
evenings at approximately 21:00 EST US. We think that
the majority of trainee's will likely come from this
side of the Pond. Should a European counterpart be
needed, it will be scheduled to run on Fridays,
earlier in the day then the ADC Average Division
(probably at 20:00GMT).

We are hoping that we will be able to establish our
teaching base using existing ADC members. Only if we
are unable to do so will we look to the outside. We
are looking for patient, talented drivers who are
willing to share their GPL knowledge. Our initial idea
is to run the event with a one-hour practice, in which
the instructor can provide instructions, exercises,
etc., followed by an Intermediate Short race. It is
our hope that we can utilize Teamspeak, as it will
simplify the process greatly, but no one will be
excluded for not having it.

It may change, but it is not our intent to have a
hard-line driving school, ala Peter O'Conner's GPLW
school, but rather something a little less formal,
with an ADC-style emphasis on having fun. We would
want this to be a place where people of a lesser,
rookie-level ability can learn, but also enjoy some
good racing. We think that's what will inspire them to
keep at GPL, and hopefully progress on to higher
talent level races, whether it be in the ADC or in an
outside league.

If you're interested in acting as an
instructor/mentor, please let me know either via PM or
email, or in this thread:

http://forums.speedgeezers.com/index.ph ... opic=22373

Best regards,

Fletch

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Monaco, 10:30 p.m. (EST) tonight. Same format at Kyalami two weeks ago.

Please reply to indicate your participation.

Thanks,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Woohoo! I'll be there. I wont be fast tonight for sure...adn will crash more then a few times, but I will be there. I hope for a top 5 finish.

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

I'll definitely be there - probably embedded in the barriers by the hairpin.

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Speed Racer, I mean, the tortose checking in! I'll be there.

John

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'll be there. Still haven't cracked a 1:29, so I'm betting we're all chasing Randy tonight.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I will definitely have the server up, but I may not be there at 10:30pm. Still working on it. Hope to be there. Thanks.

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

I will be there.

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

Okay, I think I should stay out of this league. I'm not consistent and I messed up Terry's first lap when reading the message on the top of the screen. I can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time let alone drive and think about the guy behind/beside me.

I barely showed up for the start in time too. I'm in over my head in this game.

Smurfy.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Don't worry about it Smurf. That's part of racing. The only thing that messed it up was the glitch lap that put you at the front. Typically I'd just say pull into the pits at the start or something and then take the rear, but it's tough to say what your laps would have been, I don't know.

Don't worry about flipping me on my lid, it was kind of funny. Randy was faster on this track anyway, so it didn't change the outcome of it much. My goal was 2nd, and I got 2nd, so no harm no foul. Monaco is a b*tch of a track to "get out of the way" on, too...don't base your ability to have fun on this track.

But way to go Randy! He nailed the haystack in the chicane on lap 14 and turned a 15 second lead into a 4 second lead. At that point, I smelled blood in the water and pushed it more, closing to his bumper at some points, but never could quite close the deal, and got on the gas too much to stay with him down the straights. Your throttle application exiting corners bested mine by a mile, but my corner entry let me close back up a bit. It was a perfect battle of styles, and I just couldn't push it hard enough to force you into a mistake, although I got you to push it wide a time or two...you'd just get on the throttle harder than me and pull away anyway. Hell of a job!

Great win, man!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I had approximately 20 seconds between the end of my last flying lap in practice and the start of the race. Twenty seconds to adjust fuel load and setup and take a breath before the start countdown begins?

If that's the way this thing is going to run, count me out. That's bullshit.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

pk500 wrote:I had approximately 20 seconds between the end of my last flying lap in practice and the start of the race. Twenty seconds to adjust fuel load and setup and take a breath before the start countdown begins?

If that's the way this thing is going to run, count me out. That's bullshit.

Take care,
PK
I learned my lesson about this at Kyalami. This time I had my setup selected ahead of time. I suggest you do the same. Regardless, if trying to take part in chat after practice, it doesn't leave much time to do anything else.

Again sorry to Terry. I heard you but couldn't see you in either mirror so I did the dumb thing and pulled off the line - and right into you.

I'm really frustrated because last night I was doing low 1:31s in training and couldn't come close to that today with the same setup. Even after I pulled out of the race I couldn't come close to repeating it offline.

So I doubt PK's in any worse shape than me and after Terry's words I'll stick around for the next race at least.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

So there's no way to pause between practice and the race? If so, that's just stupid. I'll live with it and adjust, but that's just stupid.

Maybe we should extend practice another five minutes -- if that adjustment is available -- to give everyone three or four minutes to take a piss, grab a beer, change setups, chat, etc., while still keeping 15 minutes of track time available.

Take care,
PK

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Do't worry PK, the same thing happened to me my first race with the ADC last year...LOL.

Maybe we should have 30 minutes of parctice. I now stop practice witha couple minutes left and make sure to click the green button when the 30 seconds hits.

I'm stoked! I shaved my PB at Monaco by 2 seconds. I tanked the last 6 laps though letting Randy and Terry lap me...UGH...that was my other goal.

Great racing guys.

I can't wait until next week.

And Smurfy, it happens. That is racing for you!

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

Like Pigpen, I usually leave the last two minutes of practice open to catch my breath and do other business.

I did better than at Kyalami. At least I finished and was very good at getting out of the way! *l*

Do we have a order or schedule of races anywhere? Where's the next one?

Thanks!
John

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

TCrouch wrote:Don't worry about flipping me on my lid, it was kind of funny. Randy was faster on this track anyway, so it didn't change the outcome of it much.
I don't know that this is necessarily the case. I did pip you for pole, but you did a 1:30.07 in race trim. I didn't break 1:31 during the race. Granted, I was trying to not screw it up so I wasn't running qual laps, but still...I think if we each did 20 laps by ourselves on the track, I daresay your average lap would be as good or better than mine.

The pole is SOOOO important here. If you can hold your line and the other person isn't great at outbraking (or crazy enough) you can turn a pole into a win. It's SOOO hard to pass. So I pushed it to the wall during qual and my jaws dropped at my time. I worked HARD to get under 1:30 a couple of weeks ago and just could not do it. Don't know what got into me tonight to pull off a 1:29.8
My goal was 2nd, and I got 2nd, so no harm no foul. Monaco is a b*tch of a track to "get out of the way" on, too...don't base your ability to have fun on this track.
Amen. Monaco is one of those tracks you have to be perfect lap after lap after lap. Even with all my concentration, I still ended up riding the rail up the hill twice because I hit an inside curb, slammed into the haystack when I misjudged my entry into the chicane, and did a couple of sideslaps against the wall on the turn after. If real damage was on, I don't even FINISH this race, let alone win it.

If you get past this one, you breathe a sigh of relief and move onto less hairy tracks.
But way to go Randy! He nailed the haystack in the chicane on lap 14 and turned a 15 second lead into a 4 second lead. At that point, I smelled blood in the water and pushed it more, closing to his bumper at some points, but never could quite close the deal, and got on the gas too much to stay with him down the straights.
Yeah I could never have posted a great lap with you breathing down my neck. I had to take awfully defensive lines just to make sure you couldn't poke your nose down the inside. Defensive laps are NOT fast laps. So I couldn't just pretend you weren't there and try to pound out good laps. I HAD to try to keep you on the outside of every corner.
our throttle application exiting corners bested mine by a mile, but my corner entry let me close back up a bit.
and your steering lock. I had the wheel fully cranked but it went wide around every hairpin. I didn't realize how bad it was until Isaw your radius on the last hairpin. You were easily making a turn I was praying to get around. If it weren't for you overcooking the throttle on exit you would have had me down the straights. I got lucky there. I obviously need to get more steering into that setup. It'll probably shave a little more time too. But yeah, thanks for goosing the throttle on those hairpins...:)
It was a perfect battle of styles, and I just couldn't push it hard enough to force you into a mistake, although I got you to push it wide a time or two...you'd just get on the throttle harder than me and pull away anyway. Hell of a job!
Yeah if I was looking at my mirror it was hard to judge braking points. On the one hand I wanted to drive defensively, but I also didn't want to cause an accident by braking too early, and I didn't want to go too deep either. It's a lot to keep your mind on at one time. Thanks for driving hard and clean. You definitely put on the pressure. I saved the replay so if anyone who wasn't there wants to watch a rather thrilling last 6 laps between the top 2 cars, let me know and I'll send you a .zip of it (we don't have an upload area here do we?)

Well, at any rate, I stole one at Monaco and I'll take it for the Tifosi and be happy...it may not happen again this season :)

PK, yeah it's kind of important to try to have your setups ready to go and assigned to the race setup drop down, so you can just flip it and go. I don't have a problem with longer practices so you can kick out a few minutes before practice ends and still make the race. It's always been a 20 second timeout plus a small delay for the server to switch sessions. It's just something to be prepared for and plan for.

Cheers,

Randy

RandyM
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by RandyM »

pigpen81 wrote:I'm stoked! I shaved my PB at Monaco by 2 seconds. I tanked the last 6 laps though letting Randy and Terry lap me...UGH...that was my other goal.
Congrats!!! That's awesome!

That's what I love about this game. Sometimes you feel stuck in a rut, and then suddenly...POOF you do something great. In the years I've played this game I've NEVER beaten a 1:30 at Monaco. I don't know just how the heck I pulled it off in qualifying tonight. Must've been having Terry on the track putting a little fire under me!

But no one should apologize here. Yes mistakes happen, but this is a fun league and we're not bustin balls here over being human. And as it turned out, having Terry breathing down my neck the last several laps made the thing memorable. The guy knows how to apply heat!

Just keep cranking out those laps and watch 'em fall :)

Cheers,

Randy

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Indeed, that was one of the most memorable sections of any race, any time, any game, on any system, that I've ever had. White-knuckle the whole way, and up until lap 14 it was a fairly ho-hum evening. I got so jittery trying to force a mistake that I'd catch myself pushing it too hard and back it off some...then I'd see you push it wide and start chomping at the bit again. I'm always paranoid of punching somebody in the bumper, so I may never be able to pass at Monaco without getting a bit more aggressive. Even in replay analyzer at almost any given track, my smoothness is like 85% to 93% and my aggression is 63% to 75% :roll:.

Regardless, one of the most fun sections I've ever had. What's the next track, again? I need to practice this one...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Points after Round 2:

DRIVERS
1. T. Crouch (Brabham) 16
R. Magruder (Ferrari) 16
3. D. Gildehaus (Lotus) 8
4. D. Chapman (Ferrari) 3
J. Voncannon (Lotus) 3
6. Smurfy (Cooper) 2
7. P. Kelly (Brabham) 1

CONSTRUCTORS
1. Ferrari 19
2. Brabham 17
3. Lotus 11
4. Cooper 2

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

My cable is up and running. Whether I get to have a bash at anything online with you boys depends on my working hours and things, but if I can get the necessary programs and whatever downloaded I might be able to have a run at round three with you if there's space. Haven't tested the connection with any gaming yet, though, so I have no idea how much of a liability it might make me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Adam:

Good news, mate! You're welcome to join us at any time. Will be an early wake-up call for you in Blighty, though!

Hope to see you on the virtual tracks soon.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zandvoort, 10:30 p.m. (EST) tonight. Same format as always.

Adam, you're welcome to join us, mate.

All participants please reply to indicate your participation.

Thanks,
PK

johnvon314
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by johnvon314 »

I'll be there!

John