Emergence Day (GOW)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Zeppo wrote:What I do is use my headphones, set the voice to output via speakers, and then put the XBL headset around my neck and flex the microphone into a good position.
Where do I set voice to output to the speakers? In-game or on the dashboard? I was trying to do this last night, but couldn't figure it out.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Got it last night but couldn't play at all because my girlfriend had invited someone over to watch the election coverage. I couldn't just kick them out of the living room. Played a few minutes this morning before work. I'm up for some mp tonight.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Zeppo wrote:What I do is use my headphones, set the voice to output via speakers, and then put the XBL headset around my neck and flex the microphone into a good position.
Zep, and in particular Slumber with those new Tritton cans...

When you set it up this way, you don't have any problem hearing the dialog over the game sounds? I use these from time to time: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 38,00.html

But whenever I set the Live communicator to go through the speakers (and thus, headphones) I can barely hear any chat behind the game music and effects. Maybe it's part of the DSP performed by the Dolby Headphone processing, but I find I have to stack the Communicator with the headphones to be able to follow any conversations...

-G7

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Damn Gamestop...was just told they had a problem, and I won't get it till tomorrow. They told me they will knock off $5....aarrggghhh!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I cant get out of the tutorial :lol:

That second breaker just wont die!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Doh!...theres a zoom :lol: :lol: :lol:

What an idiot :P

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Anyone else having trouble getting into a quick game online? Every time it tells me my connection to the host was lost when i try to join. My internet connection seems strong. Don't know what the problem is.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Good matches tonight, fellas. I really like the execution mode...a bit more unpredictable...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I had a ton of fun in multiplayer last night with you guys - thanks so much for the invite. It was so nice to play with (and against) friendly folks - who take the occasional chainsaw to your head ;)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I would love to play but I need the damn game first! Maybe I'll have it tonight.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

LAking wrote:Anyone else having trouble getting into a quick game online? Every time it tells me my connection to the host was lost when i try to join. My internet connection seems strong. Don't know what the problem is.
Same here. I did manage to get into a few but only as a spectator. Finally, I did get into one and it was an absolute riot.

I am the furthest thing from a fan of FPS's and was ready to complain that this was over-hyped, but after finding myself up at 3 AM not able to stop playing I'm willing to concede it pretty much rocks.

Now does anyone have any tips for how to get past the bezerker level?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I had those same exact headphones for a while and am so sorry I sold them. They had great sound and "simulated" surround sound quite well.
But I was very impressed with the overall "quality" to the sound and the wireless aspect worked really well too. Let me know if u ever want to sell them :)
tealboy03 wrote:I got the Ear Force X2 headphones, and really like those. They're only stereo, so no 5.1, but they mimick some of that pretty well. And Zepp's right...in SC the voice chat function of it is useless, as you can't adjust volume levels. But having totally wireless headphones is nice.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

JackB1 wrote:I had those same exact headphones for a while and am so sorry I sold them. They had great sound and "simulated" surround sound quite well.
But I was very impressed with the overall "quality" to the sound and the wireless aspect worked really well too. Let me know if u ever want to sell them :)
Hehe...don't hold your breath...

:wink: they work perfectly with GOW and COD so far...just dial down the in game audio, then crank up the volume control for the headset to compensate, and voila!

GOW is great. COD is great. SC online is great. Rainbow 6 is gonna be great...

I'm gonna have to figure out a way to hook myself up to a caffiene drip just to stay awake enough to play all this stuff... 8O 8O

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

A listing of Gears of Wars deals, courtesly of Xbox360Fanboy (LOL)...

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/08 ... verywhere/
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

My EB was one of those that didn't get their shipments, either. Luckily my wife has no problems driving 140 miles for me round trip so she can hit up Best Buy and grab me a copy :lol:

I played a few matches online last night, and hosted a couple as well. I have a 10 meg down/1 meg up pipe now (no more lag in ANYTHING) in my new house, so no more online connection issues for me!

Chainsawing somebody might be the single coolest, degrading thing you can do to somebody in a shooter. You see it coming, the guy just stands there, and you just rip through him.

Absolutely crazy.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Kazuya wrote:A listing of Gears of Wars deals, courtesly of Xbox360Fanboy (LOL)...

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/08 ... verywhere/
I'll be using a 15% off coupon at Circuit City that was in last month's Xbox magazine (which I got for free from one of the links here).

Now I just have to decide between GOW and COD3 (I can get either at about the same price at CC) :(

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Playing this more, I'm finding the online better and better. Teamwork is so good in this game, I think it has something to do with the pace of movement and the bulkiness of the characters, somehow. Well, that and the excellent 3rd person view, which really is better than any such view I've experienced. The way the camera moves and the focal length changes, and the way it shakes around when you run is very cool. The cover thing is just awesome. So many tough battles, so many exciting endings. We still haven't even tried the 'assassination' mode, where each team has one chief who must be killed. He's the only one who can pick up new weapons, but once he drops them, the others can get them. As we get more used to the maps and the game, that sounds like a very interesting mode.

I need to remember to take the time to set up the custom map rotation, because I think I've only seen the first 5 or 6 maps. All of them are amazingly good, well designed, beautliful to look at. The one thing is that, as Rob has said, this game is a lot of grey! I think CoD2 must now step aside, there's a new 'most grey' game taking its crown! But the visuals in this game continue to stun me, to blow me away. No tearing at all (and I get a lot in games like GRAW or CoD2, I think due to my display, but who knows?), none of that Halo2 or Oblivion pop-in, which I had thought was becoming a hallmark of this gen, no stutteriness, none of that backwards depth of field effect we've seen crop up in a lot of games; I mean, this thing makes other 360 games look like a good first draft. And then you get to the animations, the physics of bodies flying around, the subtle atmospheric effects (the little bursts of dust when you shoot a sandbag, for example). Really amazing stuff.

The single player is reminiscent to me of CoD2 in that it's a lot of dying; not quite as much as in CoD2, but there is a lot of redoing certain parts over and over. It frustrates me, but I've found when played with 2 guys, the single player is much, much better. Working together is key, and can be very fun, adding a whole layer to the campaign that makes it much better. I still die a lot, but getting revived by your buddy is a great feeling. Lying there, bleeding out, the game is very reminiscent of the excellent SW: Republic Commando gam, when you could be revived by your AI teammates.

The Berserker was frustrating the hell out of me for a long while. You have to remember that it can't see, it can only hear and smell, and it has a hard time finding you if you move really slowly. You have to lure it to smash the door at the end of each room (I think there are four; think 'matador') until you get it outside, then fry it up with the Hammer of Dawn. Luckliy, there's a check point once you get outside, so once you get that far you won't have to go through all four doors over and over again (which I must have done more than 10 times before figuring out how to manipulate the creature). It would have been a million times better if I had done it with a buddy, but it was mighty tough for me by myself.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Love the game so far. Both online and off.

I absolutely love the multiplayer map design. Great diversity. One of the coolest moments yesterday was when we were playing the one map that starts one team at the top of the large staircase area and the other at the bottom. We played two rounds and everyone commented on how the team at the top had a distinct advantage. That was true, until we discovered that there was only one sniper riffle and that was at the bottom area. This one realization turned things around quickly. The elevation advantage was gone. The design of that map and weapon placement is genius.

There are little things like that in most all the maps.

The Execution mode did not feel to much different from the standard Warzone one, but I think that having to make certain you finish off you opponents completely or they can revive on their own makes things a bit more interesting. Or maybe not...In Warzoe your teammates feel much more compelled to try and revive a downed man in the alooted time since they know he cannot revive himself. This adds an element of strategy on both sides. Especially for the opposing side to use to draw out other enimies.

One other thing is that this is one of the very few games (if any) where it is as much fun spectating after you die as it is playing!

My only worry with this game is how well it holds up once "wow" factor is gone. But I guess that is the same with all games. I'd like to see this one continue to impress and provide as much fun as it is now. Maybe there are some plans for new modes and maps via download!?!!?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Personally, I think it will hold up better than the standard shooter.

To this point, shooters have been primarily run around and blast, or snipe and 1-shot-you're-dead. This is the first one that I've played where using cover is so intuitive. Pulling the L trigger to have a quick-pop-up combined w/ the RT was brilliant. The blind-firing works sometimes, too. I took out a few people last night just firing blindly around a corner when they had nowhere to go.

The battles become affairs where suppression fire is truly suppression fire and not just a catch phrase. Pinning a guy down behind his cover while your team mates move to a better vantage point has never been executed better than it is in Gears of War. The fact that cover really provides SO MUCH protection really necessitates it. You're extremely tough to kill if you're behind cover, unless somebody finds a way to flank you. I found myself pinned down by a pair of Locust players last night at a corner. If I went right, the player unloaded on me. If I went left, the other one unloaded on me. I eventually got wasted as I tried to find a way out of my predicament. Careful positioning pretty much guaranteed their success.

It's not quite like anything I've played. It's not the run-and-gun of a Quake or Doom or Halo match. It's not a camp fest or ploddingly-slow match of Ghost Recon where you might run around for 5 minutes and not see anybody, then BAM you're dead from a sniper shot the second you poke your head out. It's forgiving enough to not sit around like a puss, but demanding enough to not let you survive if you run around in the open like a moron.

...although that did help. One mission last night there was a player in prime position. No way around him, boxed into a corner at fairly long range. A buddy positioned himself at a high vantage point with a sniper rifle. I ran around to a different angle and just scrambled across the courtyard, pretending I was unaware of this guy's position. When I did, the guy naturally popped up to take a few shots at me...and promptly had his head exploded from a sniper shot.

So many possibilities for team play, and when to know you're walking into a trap or not. It's just an entirely different animal than anything I've played, despite the fact that you run around and shoot people like every other game out there.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

TCrouch wrote:Personally, I think it will hold up better than the standard shooter.

To this point, shooters have been primarily run around and blast, or snipe and 1-shot-you're-dead. This is the first one that I've played where using cover is so intuitive. Pulling the L trigger to have a quick-pop-up combined w/ the RT was brilliant. The blind-firing works sometimes, too. I took out a few people last night just firing blindly around a corner when they had nowhere to go.

The battles become affairs where suppression fire is truly suppression fire and not just a catch phrase. Pinning a guy down behind his cover while your team mates move to a better vantage point has never been executed better than it is in Gears of War. The fact that cover really provides SO MUCH protection really necessitates it. You're extremely tough to kill if you're behind cover, unless somebody finds a way to flank you. I found myself pinned down by a pair of Locust players last night at a corner. If I went right, the player unloaded on me. If I went left, the other one unloaded on me. I eventually got wasted as I tried to find a way out of my predicament. Careful positioning pretty much guaranteed their success.

It's not quite like anything I've played. It's not the run-and-gun of a Quake or Doom or Halo match. It's not a camp fest or ploddingly-slow match of Ghost Recon where you might run around for 5 minutes and not see anybody, then BAM you're dead from a sniper shot the second you poke your head out. It's forgiving enough to not sit around like a puss, but demanding enough to not let you survive if you run around in the open like a moron.

...although that did help. One mission last night there was a player in prime position. No way around him, boxed into a corner at fairly long range. A buddy positioned himself at a high vantage point with a sniper rifle. I ran around to a different angle and just scrambled across the courtyard, pretending I was unaware of this guy's position. When I did, the guy naturally popped up to take a few shots at me...and promptly had his head exploded from a sniper shot.

So many possibilities for team play, and when to know you're walking into a trap or not. It's just an entirely different animal than anything I've played, despite the fact that you run around and shoot people like every other game out there.
Great points T. Your post makes me want to go and play more right now!!!

I have to remember to try and use the blind firing a bit more to not expose myself as much when in close quarters.

Yeah, I absolutely love the strategic possibilites that this game provides from it's cover system and map design!!!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Since i couldn't join a quick match could you guys look out for me on your buddy lists and send me an invite if there is room? I'll probably be on around 8:00 pst.

OH, i also wanted to point out how difficult the game is. Or at least it's hard changing the playing style i'm used to. I find myself leaving myself exposed a little too long. But you can't always just take cover and sit there. When you are in the middle of a large area and emergence holes are opening all around, you really have to be on your toes.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

TCrouch wrote:Personally, I think it will hold up better than the standard shooter.

This post alone might be enough to put my long deliberated 360 purchase into action. Sounds incredibly fun.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote:
This post alone might be enough to put my long deliberated 360 purchase into action. Sounds incredibly fun.
It is. A perfect blend of tactics, graphics, control and gore makes it so, so fun.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

RobVarak wrote:
Naples39 wrote:
It is. A perfect blend of tactics, graphics, control and gore makes it so, so fun.
PS It's never really bothered me that PK doesn't have a 360...until now. Having him screaming through a game of GOW would be awesome LOL
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RobVarak wrote:
RobVarak wrote:
Naples39 wrote:
PS It's never really bothered me that PK doesn't have a 360...until now. Having him screaming through a game of GOW would be awesome LOL
This is a 'doing the laundry' PK dream come true..maybe not for him, but I know we'd all laugh our asses off at him!