I'm getting very tired of the "small market" label

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Programmed2Kill wrote:And this didn't happen nearly as much before the rule changes. I don't like it. Let's see if you will feel the same after this series is done.
I'll feel absolutely no different. I love the "new NHL" because it's a lot like the "old NHL" of the early to mid-80s.

Plus the Oilers have benefited from the new rules as much or more than any team. With the old CBA and the old rules, the Oilers don't even make the playoffs, let alone the Stanley Cup Finals.

So why should I change my mind?
Programmed2Kill wrote:Is this OS minus Steve?
For those with a persecution complex, probably.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Programmed2Kill wrote:"Dumbest". "silly". "foolish". Was that all necessary?

All I wanted to do was to say my opinion as to why I don't like the NHL now. I can understand being questioned about my opinion. I didn't think I was going to get kicked in the head by a bunch of posters for expressing my opinion. I just don't like how the NHL plays now. Why can't you just accept that and move on instead of being a wise ass about it?

I thought DSP was better than this.
It's a little late for you to try and take the high road. You saw the replies and engaged in just as much "wise-assing" as most in here.

And yes, any comment that infers that two-line passes and other new rules tweaks decrease the element of strategy in hockey and that larger ice surfaces discourage speed are worthy of my remarks. In my opinion, of course. ;)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by Programmed2Kill »

peabody wrote:
Programmed2Kill wrote: International rinks are wider AND longer. Look it up. So with that, it's harder to just speed by teams unlike in the NHL.

But I guess we'll just disagree on that.
I don't play ice hockey, but I've played alot of roller hockey. Same premise, just different playing surface. I've played in a few different roller rinks, some a little bigger than others. I know that when I play in a larger rink I can use my speed more. There is simply more room to create and move.

Let's look at this another way. Say your playing five on five hockey. In the same rink reduce that to four on four or three on three hockey. The game gets faster and more open because there now is more room to create and move.

In summary, large rink or less players equals a more open and faster game. Small rink or more players equals a more cramped game where speed is not as much of a factor.

This has nothing to do with the NHL or international hockey, just my personal experience.

But in a bigger rink, there's still more surface to cover. So while you're obviously more free up, it's going to take longer to shoot up and down the ice.

But that's just my thinking. I'm going by how I see international hockey and this season's NHL hockey.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK

Not my fault. You're the one calling my comments silly and dumb.

peabody
Mario Mendoza

Post by peabody »

Programmed2Kill wrote:
peabody wrote:
Programmed2Kill wrote: International rinks are wider AND longer. Look it up. So with that, it's harder to just speed by teams unlike in the NHL.

But I guess we'll just disagree on that.
I don't play ice hockey, but I've played alot of roller hockey. Same premise, just different playing surface. I've played in a few different roller rinks, some a little bigger than others. I know that when I play in a larger rink I can use my speed more. There is simply more room to create and move.

Let's look at this another way. Say your playing five on five hockey. In the same rink reduce that to four on four or three on three hockey. The game gets faster and more open because there now is more room to create and move.

In summary, large rink or less players equals a more open and faster game. Small rink or more players equals a more cramped game where speed is not as much of a factor.

This has nothing to do with the NHL or international hockey, just my personal experience.

But in a bigger rink, there's still more surface to cover. So while you're obviously more free up, it's going to take longer to shoot up and down the ice.

But that's just my thinking. I'm going by how I see international hockey and this season's NHL hockey.
I'm not sure I see what length of time and speed have to do with anything. Perhaps its a perception of the eye thing. If I have to travel 20 feet up and back I'm going to go up and back in a faster time than if I have to do that over 200 feet. That dosen't mean I can't be moving faster over the 200 foot distance though.

But according to wikipedia the dimensions of an NHL rink are 200' x 85' and an international rink is 200' x 98.5'. They are of equal length. International rink is wider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_rink

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

pk500 wrote:
It's a little late for you to try and take the high road. You saw the replies and engaged in just as much "wise-assing" as most in here.

And yes, any comment that infers that two-line passes and other new rules tweaks decrease the element of strategy in hockey and that larger ice surfaces discourage speed are worthy of my remarks. In my opinion, of course. ;)

Take care,
PK

You can remark all you want, but be adult about it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Programmed2Kill wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK

And I stand by those remarks. In an adult way, of course.

Take care,
PK

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Take it to pms guys or else we'll have to lock the thread.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

pk500 wrote:
Programmed2Kill wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Take care,
PK

And I stand by those remarks. In an adult way, of course.

Take care,
PK

Alright then.....

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

ScoopBrady wrote:Take it to pms guys or else we'll have to lock the thread.

Sorry, Scoop. I'm moving on from that.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

peabody wrote:
Programmed2Kill wrote:
peabody wrote: I don't play ice hockey, but I've played alot of roller hockey. Same premise, just different playing surface. I've played in a few different roller rinks, some a little bigger than others. I know that when I play in a larger rink I can use my speed more. There is simply more room to create and move.

I'm not sure I see what length of time and speed have to do with anything. Perhaps its a perception of the eye thing. If I have to travel 20 feet up and back I'm going to go up and back in a faster time than if I have to do that over 200 feet. That dosen't mean I can't be moving faster over the 200 foot distance though.

But according to wikipedia the dimensions of an NHL rink are 200' x 85' and an international rink is 200' x 98.5'. They are of equal length. International rink is wider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_rink

I stand corrected. I read it wrong. My bad.

I still think because of more surface to cover, you can't just speed through. But like you said, it could be just perception.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Take it to pms guys or else we'll have to lock the thread.
10-4.

Programmed2Kill
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Bettman held his state-of-the-union address the other day. It goes into what this topic is about...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167950&hubname=

sfz_T-car
DSP-Funk All-Star*
DSP-Funk All-Star*

Post by sfz_T-car »

The basic cable package at the hotel I'm staying at doesn't have OLN. It does have PAX, Hallmark and Animal Planet. :(

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

The Stanley cup finals gets beat in the ratings by girls softball?! Ouch! (saw this on PTI)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

laurenskye wrote:The Stanley cup finals gets beat in the ratings by girls softball?! Ouch! (saw this on PTI)
Truly Sad.