XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Wilk5280 »

Wilk5280 wrote:>< f'ing close to pulling the trigger on the AC XBONE Bundle.
MS is trying to see if they can make a liar out of me.... Getting hard to resist with the latest price break. Dayum!
GT = Wilk5280

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Wilk5280 wrote:>< f'ing close to pulling the trigger on the AC XBONE Bundle.
MS is trying to see if they can make a liar out of me.... Getting hard to resist with the latest price break. Dayum!
that white xbo and controller look so good. Much better than the PS4 destiny one.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Superb post, Terry.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Bastards owe me 50 bucks :x

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:Without going into depths of the crazy argument that's happened here lately, the only thing that I can say to summarize my current-gen experience is this. It's boring and long-ish, but bear with me:

Die hard 360 player, never touched PS3.
Preordered XBox One, no intention of getting PS4.
Just before release, saw mentions of PS4 being primary development platform by developers, I got afraid I'd see port issues on new-gen games. Bought a PS4 also.
Bought all release games on both platforms, and saw NOTICEABLY better performance and resolution on all PS4 games I tried.
Wrote off the XBox One as it had a crappy interface, weird design issues, just felt unfinished. All of its advancements were s*** I didn't want or need, and I felt it complicated the interface to the things I DID use unnecessarily.
Played my PS4 so much that I eventually bought a second one, only playing Forza on my XB1, and only once in a couple of months. The One was disconnected on a shelf for a long time.

Then something weird happened. The games started getting much closer in resolution and performance. Sure, there's still a small resolution discrepancy in most games, but if somebody doesn't do something stupid like put them on side by side TV's and run them at the same time, they'd never know. And what I've come to realize is even with the framerate drop, I prefer the deeper blacks and color palette of the One. The PS4 still has that 'washed out' Playstation style when compared to XBox One games, but they have better textures and sharper resolution. It's a complete trade off and down to personal preference at this point.

Comparing that to early-gen titles like Black Flag where the trees and bushes had an almost headache-inducing shimmer to the leaves and bushes on XB1, but nothing like that on PS4 is night and day. Then the online stuff...the more I played, the more I wished my PS4 had an Xbox Live level of online connectivity. Then my buddies were only playing leagues for Madden and other games on the One, not the PS4.

Next thing I know, I'm picking up games on my XB1 instead of PS4. Shadow of Mordor I have played more on XB1 than on PS4, and I only bought Alien on the One. My Madden leagues are on the One, Horizon 2 is obviously the gem of my collection at the moment, and Sunset Overdrive will be fun tomorrow.

But on the 11th, I'll have to decide whether I want Unity on PS4 or XB1. I'll probably go XB1 in case other guys here get it. Yet on Dragon Age, it's definitely PS4 because I'll get 2 copies and co-op with the wife.

Bottom line, I don't think there's any "gap" between the systems anymore. Microsoft has addressed almost every issue I had with the interface in the year since, and I still don't use it for TV or anything else. It's easy to get around to what I want now, although I still wish the achievements stuff was faster like the 360 version. The performance difference would be imperceptible to the typical user, and the online performance of the One is superior, by far.

So I don't know--as an owner of both systems, I see no way that any logical person could conclude one to be so much better than the other. There are pros and cons to both, and I'm just glad I don't have to settle. I make my choice on which platform to get any game on for reasons that are my own. Not sales figures or the hardware power difference or anything else, at this point, and it's been a seriously up-and-down path for me this past year. I never thought I'd be a PS4 gamer primarily, and then I never thought MS would get me back on board with the One.

At this point, I have no idea, nor do I care, who "wins" this generation. They're both pretty stacked machines.
Thanks Terry....I think your post is brilliant and has me leaning towards trading my PS4 in for the One again. I miss not having the EA Early Access option and the only game I am playing now in the PS4 is The Golf Club. Recognizing that TGC won't look quite as good as it does on the PS4, I am willing to make this trade-off due to the fact that I am pretty sure I will be playing PGA TOUR 15 by EA and I am missing the Early Access as well. Plus I have been an Xbox guy for a long time and miss XBox Live and I am convinced MS has turned a corner and the One is positioned to get back in the fight, but they very likely won't "win" the sales numbers battle this generation. I like the PS4, but I miss the familiarity of the MS ecosystem and the vast majority of my friends on Live. Now that MS has narrowed the performance gap (and I think HB Studios will continue to improve the One version of The Golf Club) and looking at games like Forza 5/Horizon 2 tells me that the machine has potential to improve graphically. I also miss the One controller as well. Lastly, most of my online friends are here at DSP and it seems that a shift towards the One for the games I play is also a factor making me lean towards the One. Would love to start playing some of these games with you guys in the near future, especially The Golf Club, etc........

Thank you for the comprehensive post. :wink:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

DivotMaker wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Without going into depths of the crazy argument that's happened here lately, the only thing that I can say to summarize my current-gen experience is this. It's boring and long-ish, but bear with me:

Die hard 360 player, never touched PS3.
Preordered XBox One, no intention of getting PS4.
Just before release, saw mentions of PS4 being primary development platform by developers, I got afraid I'd see port issues on new-gen games. Bought a PS4 also.
Bought all release games on both platforms, and saw NOTICEABLY better performance and resolution on all PS4 games I tried.
Wrote off the XBox One as it had a crappy interface, weird design issues, just felt unfinished. All of its advancements were s*** I didn't want or need, and I felt it complicated the interface to the things I DID use unnecessarily.
Played my PS4 so much that I eventually bought a second one, only playing Forza on my XB1, and only once in a couple of months. The One was disconnected on a shelf for a long time.

Then something weird happened. The games started getting much closer in resolution and performance. Sure, there's still a small resolution discrepancy in most games, but if somebody doesn't do something stupid like put them on side by side TV's and run them at the same time, they'd never know. And what I've come to realize is even with the framerate drop, I prefer the deeper blacks and color palette of the One. The PS4 still has that 'washed out' Playstation style when compared to XBox One games, but they have better textures and sharper resolution. It's a complete trade off and down to personal preference at this point.

Comparing that to early-gen titles like Black Flag where the trees and bushes had an almost headache-inducing shimmer to the leaves and bushes on XB1, but nothing like that on PS4 is night and day. Then the online stuff...the more I played, the more I wished my PS4 had an Xbox Live level of online connectivity. Then my buddies were only playing leagues for Madden and other games on the One, not the PS4.

Next thing I know, I'm picking up games on my XB1 instead of PS4. Shadow of Mordor I have played more on XB1 than on PS4, and I only bought Alien on the One. My Madden leagues are on the One, Horizon 2 is obviously the gem of my collection at the moment, and Sunset Overdrive will be fun tomorrow.

But on the 11th, I'll have to decide whether I want Unity on PS4 or XB1. I'll probably go XB1 in case other guys here get it. Yet on Dragon Age, it's definitely PS4 because I'll get 2 copies and co-op with the wife.

Bottom line, I don't think there's any "gap" between the systems anymore. Microsoft has addressed almost every issue I had with the interface in the year since, and I still don't use it for TV or anything else. It's easy to get around to what I want now, although I still wish the achievements stuff was faster like the 360 version. The performance difference would be imperceptible to the typical user, and the online performance of the One is superior, by far.

So I don't know--as an owner of both systems, I see no way that any logical person could conclude one to be so much better than the other. There are pros and cons to both, and I'm just glad I don't have to settle. I make my choice on which platform to get any game on for reasons that are my own. Not sales figures or the hardware power difference or anything else, at this point, and it's been a seriously up-and-down path for me this past year. I never thought I'd be a PS4 gamer primarily, and then I never thought MS would get me back on board with the One.

At this point, I have no idea, nor do I care, who "wins" this generation. They're both pretty stacked machines.
Thanks Terry....I think your post is brilliant and has me leaning towards trading my PS4 in for the One again. I miss not having the EA Early Access option and the only game I am playing now in the PS4 is The Golf Club. Recognizing that TGC won't look quite as good as it does on the PS4, I am willing to make this trade-off due to the fact that I am pretty sure I will be playing PGA TOUR 15 by EA and I am missing the Early Access as well. Plus I have been an Xbox guy for a long time and miss XBox Live and I am convinced MS has turned a corner and the One is positioned to get back in the fight, but they very likely won't "win" the sales numbers battle this generation. I like the PS4, but I miss the familiarity of the MS ecosystem and the vast majority of my friends on Live. Now that MS has narrowed the performance gap (and I think HB Studios will continue to improve the One version of The Golf Club) and looking at games like Forza 5/Horizon 2 tells me that the machine has potential to improve graphically. I also miss the One controller as well. Lastly, most of my online friends are here at DSP and it seems that a shift towards the One for the games I play is also a factor making me lean towards the One. Would love to start playing some of these games with you guys in the near future, especially The Golf Club, etc........

Thank you for the comprehensive post. :wink:
You summed up what me exact sentiments are as well. My only issue is how far along I am in ea games I'll end up eating lot of progress up by starting over on xb1. I so miss xbl. I can live without golf club. I'll also just get ea golf. Sony messed up by not offering ea access.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That is almost word-for-word my feelings. Weird.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Anyone try the 2.0 release on psn? I'd live to but nothing connects. Psn issues anyone else?

I think Sony is pushing me towards xbo intentionally. I'm such a fool paying $50 yearly for this pos online service.

Lol psn support: http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/gif_write_8e85f2.gif

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:Anyone try the 2.0 release on psn? I'd live to but nothing connects. Psn issues anyone else?

I think Sony is pushing me towards xbo intentionally. I'm such a fool paying $50 yearly for this pos online service.

Lol psn support: http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/gif_write_8e85f2.gif
Yeah, I got it this morning. Besides the themes, nothing else of interest for me from 2.0

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

EARarnings report crushed expectations today. They credit a lot to EA access

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Inuyasha wrote:EARarnings report crushed expectations today. They credit a lot to EA access
Details?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I'm either getting the Sunset Overdrive Bundle or the Assassin's Creed Bundle. I'd like to go with the white, I think, but Best Buy is still showing that for 399. Anyone seen the Sunset Overdrive bundle for 350 ? One more question, I'm going to need to re-up my XBL sub, any known deals out there?
GT = Wilk5280

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Wilk5280 wrote:I'm either getting the Sunset Overdrive Bundle or the Assassin's Creed Bundle. I'd like to go with the white, I think, but Best Buy is still showing that for 399. Anyone seen the Sunset Overdrive bundle for 350 ? One more question, I'm going to need to re-up my XBL sub, any known deals out there?
I think you have to wait until Nov 3rd for it to go down 50 bucks.

XBO users - they still give 1 free month of XBL to new users like they did w/ 360?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Inuyasha wrote:
Wilk5280 wrote:I'm either getting the Sunset Overdrive Bundle or the Assassin's Creed Bundle. I'd like to go with the white, I think, but Best Buy is still showing that for 399. Anyone seen the Sunset Overdrive bundle for 350 ? One more question, I'm going to need to re-up my XBL sub, any known deals out there?

XBO users - they still give 1 free month of XBL to new users like they did w/ 360?
Yeah, the bundles don't begin until 11/2 or 11/3. The say the date in the video I posted above or on the last page.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15107&start=4525
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Inuyasha wrote:

I'm not positive but, yes, I think you get a free month.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I've seen reports of people getting the new price when going to Best Buy. YMMV
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Some people having issues with PS4 2.0 Update. I have not experienced anything but fingers crossed. But how can Sony eff this up. First DriveClub, still having server issues after 3 weeks release, still no PS Plus free version as the promised, now this. Sure they're sales #'s are huge, but user satisfaction wise it's been a REALLY BAD MONTH!

From another forum :
I know this is being reported in the 2.0 thread, but given it could corrupt your PS4, I think it should have a dedicated thread to warn people and allow for a focused discussion on any tips people have related to it. Please troll the other thread if you must troll.

PS4 not responding this morning after being put in rest mode last night

Power button does not respond to press
Eject button beeps but does nothing
Controllers do not power it on, wired or wireless
Phone App does not see system
VITA can not find system
A disc is in the drive, thought it worked last night with one in
I did disable USB power before stand bye, but not likely the issue
Tried pulling all cords BUT power cord, no changes

Held down power button and system eventually turned off, restarted with power button and system did a disc check and warned me of improper shut downs causing harm.

System did not need to resynch controllers, everything back to normal after restart.

Attempted rest mode again, system responded to controller after doing so.

Appears to possibly relate to extended rest mode time, possibly auto start for system checks and uploads also.

Running test this morning, system in rest mode now, solid orange light, light fan on for now. Will see if fan turns off and if wake for check occurs and then leads to possible lockup.

Recommend all users stop rest mode until Sony fixes issue or risk bricking.

*UPDATE* System went to blinking orange light after 5 minutes, hold down power to unfreeze, powered on with controller, disc check and everything ok again.

Running test 2; ejecting disc and going into rest mode

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Got the 2.0 update and it works fine for me. It appears I'll be the only one on the PS4 at the rate this thread is going. LOL.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I had an issue after updating to 2.0. I was unable to get the PS4 out of sleep mode. Finally, after holding the power button for 20 seconds, it rebooted and has worked fine since. But that was a little frightening.

The Driveclub debacle has been disappointing. I do feel bad for those bought the game expecting the online to be smooth. And I also feel for the people who worked on the game. Sales are going to be terrible and many of them could possibly lose their jobs. I was really looking forward to this game, but it's probably too late for people like myself to trust that this game will work like it's supposed to. I'll wait for The Crew and hope that racer delivers.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Anyone else get in the Evolve alpha for XB1?
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Got the 2.0 update and it works fine for me. It appears I'll be the only one on the PS4 at the rate this thread is going. LOL.
I'm sticking with the PS4 and Wii U for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, my gaming time is limited and the single player experience/gaming with my son is far more attractive to me than online. The recent price drop has me considering the One, but the only series that interests me right now is Forza. Trust me, I'm trying to rationalize the decision (extra Blu-Ray player, Netlfix, Skype, etc.)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Trust me, I'm trying to rationalize the decision (extra Blu-Ray player, Netlfix, Skype, etc.)
Well those three things you mentioned are the only reason I kept my XB1. Seriously. That thing would have been gone in the first few weeks if I didn't just need another media streaming machine in main room. Now, obviously the system is better with the two Forza games, so that's about all of the gaming I do on it, but it's a pretty decent machine for the rest of the functionality as well.

That said, I still prefer the PS4 version of the apps I use the most (MLB Extra Innings & NFL Sunday Ticket) by quite a wide margin. Really should have just gotten a second PS4 but whatever. At least I have an XB1 just in case they improve it from a software standpoint.