MLB 12 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 12 The Show

Post by dbdynsty25 »

All this talk about issue with the patches is confusing as I have yet to see any errors/freezing in my franchise mode that I play on my PS3 and continue on my Vita via the cloud. So I guess I'm lucky.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:All this talk about issue with the patches is confusing as I have yet to see any errors/freezing in my franchise mode that I play on my PS3 and continue on my Vita via the cloud. So I guess I'm lucky.
I haven't had any issues in my franchise either. Would really suck to be deep into a franchise or RTTS and have it freeze. Some guy said his game stopped working 157 games into his season.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

I had my third freeze the other day. 77 games in to my season, I've had to replay three of them.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

The wheels are starting to fly off my Tribe season. I just got swept in a four-game series at Baltimore. I'm 32-45.

It's weird how often you win games (or series) you don't think you will and lose when you think you'll win. Recently I swept the Tigers and won two out of three at the Yankees, but also lost two out of three at Houston and got swept at Baltimore. :evil:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

lexbur wrote:The wheels are starting to fly off my Tribe season. I just got swept in a four-game series at Baltimore. I'm 32-45.

It's weird how often you win games (or series) you don't think you will and lose when you think you'll win. Recently I swept the Tigers and won two out of three at the Yankees, but also lost two out of three at Houston and got swept at Baltimore. :evil:
Orioles are hot so far this year.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

10spro wrote: Orioles are hot so far this year.
Yeah, it's great to see how well they're doing in r/l, but in my season in The Show they have the worst record in the AL.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Anyone ever feel like there's a correlation between you scoring & the CPU?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this happens all the time. Last game I beat the CPU 13-6 and have had the CPU unload on me. But I feel that over the years, there's a feeling I've had that the game would just "prefer" to keep the scores relatively close.

So, if I can't hit, the CPU cant either, and if I jump out to a big lead, somehow the CPU is going to find a way to claw back in.

Just curious if anyone else gets that feeling.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I do feel like there are 'offensive conditions' to a given game. Doesn't mean it's true, but yeah.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Slumberland wrote:I do feel like there are 'offensive conditions' to a given game. Doesn't mean it's true, but yeah.
Yeah, and I know a lot of people have brought up comeback AI or "the game cheats to win", and that's not really what I'm saying.

I guess I'd be curious to see how it all stacks up against real life. I mean, most games in real life are not one-sided, i guess.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

AJColossal wrote:
Slumberland wrote:I do feel like there are 'offensive conditions' to a given game. Doesn't mean it's true, but yeah.
Yeah, and I know a lot of people have brought up comeback AI or "the game cheats to win", and that's not really what I'm saying.

I guess I'd be curious to see how it all stacks up against real life. I mean, most games in real life are not one-sided, i guess.
I think that it's mental. The only way to know for sure would be to get all nerdy and run a bunch of tests. You could also play a few games and try to let the CPU beat the crap out of you. Make some really bad pitches etc... and see what happens for a few games. Again, I don't think that is necessary as I think it's all in our heads.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I don't think there's catch-up... just a confluence of factors (pitching matchup, conditions, luck) that makes a game feel like it's going to be a low-scoring squeaker or a hit-fest from the outset.

I'm finding I can hang around better on All-Star defaults with pulse pitching than with analog, I suspect because it's harder to throw strikes with pulse, and the CPU will indeed chase balls. It's also easier to place the ball east-west off the plate with pulse than it is with analog.

Diamond Dynasty is fun! Has anyone else made teams? Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to mach up head to head with a friend intentionally. I usually play it against the CPU anyhow, unlocking MLB stadiums for use.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I think pitcher confidence is the biggest culprit in the flow of games. I find pitching easier than hitting (even with Pulse), so that tends to lead to a fair number of low-scoring games as my starter and the CPU's get high confidence. The deviations from that are usually either blowouts by me (rare with this year's Cubs lineup) or by the CPU as one of us creams the other's pitcher while the opposing starter does well. I don't see many high-scoring games from both teams just because it's uncommon for both starters to get rocked, at least for me.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

By the way no freezes here, and I've been throwing my franchise back and forth between the Vita and PS3 with abandon.

Finally getting used to the game enough to move up to All-Star defaults again... pulse pitching, zone hitting, buttons fielding. Just not enough precision with analog for me to hang at that level, even though I like the feel of those controls. Like Zeppo, I get some value out of pitching from the same view I hit, so basically everything is back to its out-of-the-box settings (catcher view). Won my last two and am sitting at 20-22, about four games out of first.

The Angels seem to be in some weird May salary dump mode, putting Pujols and C.J. Wilson on the trading block. They made it much harder to pillage the CPU this year, but I admit to poaching Wilson (with four years left on his contract) from them for an unlikely combo of Frank Francisco and Chris Young. I needed some help. Dillon Gee is a mess and as much as I like R.A. Dickey, it's torture using a knuckleballer. Also moved Justin Turner straight up for Greg Dobbs to get another lefty that can spell both Wright and Bay.

Game is fun. And the Vita is doing what I'd hoped... namely, making it possible to get through a season playing every game.

tmdba37
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by tmdba37 »

I had a very unusual play last night in my Braves vs. Cubs tilt (it's fun being about 5 days ahead of the season). . .

Around the 3rd or 4th inning, Jeff Samardzija got a rare leadoff single to center. . .Darwin Barney fouls out (as he often does). . .then Reed Johnson hits a deep but catchable drive to right. . .Jason Heyward drops it and I send the runners. . .the problem is that Samardzija is running back to first at this point and lo and behold Johnson is right on his heels. . .

Next thing I know both woebegone Cubbies are standing on second.

I thought for sure that the game was going to freeze at that point because the Braves' second baseman (Uggla is on the DL so I'm not sure who it was) kind of walked around the infield for a few seconds before he tossed it to Jack Wilson (SS) who tagged somebody and they called Johnson out.

Castro ended up doubling in the run in the next at bat, but it was a pretty funny and madcap scene. . .something you would never expect to see in a video game, but something that you would totally expect to happen to the Cubs :D . (Not sure if this was unintentional humor from our friends at San Diego Studios or not)

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Two men on and no outs? Watch as I find new, creative ways to not score a run!

On the flipside, do you guys get as nervous as I do late in games, protecting a small lead? Like Dark Souls nervous.

That said, I just notched back-to-back shutouts, so I'm in an up-cycle. 22-27 but somehow in second place, six games out of first. All the NL East teams are scuffling.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Slumberland wrote:Two men on and no outs? Watch as I find new, creative ways to not score a run!

On the flipside, do you guys get as nervous as I do late in games, protecting a small lead? Like Dark Souls nervous.

That said, I just notched back-to-back shutouts, so I'm in an up-cycle. 22-27 but somehow in second place, six games out of first. All the NL East teams are scuffling.
I picked up Mike Gonzalez and Chad Qualls just so I could try and protect late game leads. My bullpen had been disastrous during spring training. Much better now:) I'm not sure why I'm enjoying this years game so much compared to previous versions but I am. The new ball physics are very nice and help to keep things pretty fresh with every hit. I smashed a line drive into the second base yesterday and it bounced into the second baseman. Still managed to get a single but it was close. Don't remember ever having that happen before. Love, love love this game.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, it's good. Took me a long time to get acclimated to for some reason.

I lost a 7-6 contest to the Padres that just gutted me over the weekend. Had a 5-1 lead with C.J. Wilson on the mound before things just started slipping away from me, mostly on the back of that freak Kyle Blanks who hit a key two-run dinger. Some batters just scare me and then it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy or something.

I also added Hong-Chih Kuo from the free agent list to get another lefty arm in my pen. He's been great. And Jon Rauch has been just fine closing ever since I traded Frank Francisco. All I need is someone who can place heaters low and away.

If they want to add some new classic parks for next year I won't complain. I think we've had the same set three years running.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The Show giveth and The Show taketh away. I was actually feeling pretty good about how I was playing in my Cubs franchise, then got swept at Cincy and outscored 21-5 in three games. Going to be a long virtual season with this Cubs team if my pitching can't keep games close, because I have so little pop in my lineup.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

This is a time honored refrain around here I know, but I just can't hit in this game! I don't play it enough to really get in a groove, and even though I think I've settled on a great camera, I still can't seem to judge the low part of the strike zone very well.

I'm using the Nats, so I know I can't expect a ton of hits, but it's aggravating seeing every single starting pitcher against me have a full confidence meter after a few innings, pitch well into the 7th inning and beyond, and throw somewhere above 75% strikes. What's most demoralizing is seeing the feedback say Contact: wheelhouse, Timing: perfect, Stride: perfect, and still making out one way or another.

I pitch pretty well, but I can't hit for s***. So as lame as it is, I'm stepping down to Rookie hitting for the next few series. Maybe if I blow out a bunch of teams I'll set it back up to Veteran. Pitching stays at All-Star.

I'd love to play more online against folks here. I played one game against FIFA and it was awesome.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Zeppo wrote:This is a time honored refrain around here I know, but I just can't hit in this game! I don't play it enough to really get in a groove, and even though I think I've settled on a great camera, I still can't seem to judge the low part of the strike zone very well.

I'm using the Nats, so I know I can't expect a ton of hits, but it's aggravating seeing every single starting pitcher against me have a full confidence meter after a few innings, pitch well into the 7th inning and beyond, and throw somewhere above 75% strikes. What's most demoralizing is seeing the feedback say Contact: wheelhouse, Timing: perfect, Stride: perfect, and still making out one way or another.

I pitch pretty well, but I can't hit for s***. So as lame as it is, I'm stepping down to Rookie hitting for the next few series. Maybe if I blow out a bunch of teams I'll set it back up to Veteran. Pitching stays at All-Star.

I'd love to play more online against folks here. I played one game against FIFA and it was awesome.
What does a typical at bat look like for you? Do you always swing at the first pitch or do you take it? Do you usually go down 0-2 right away or do you get to a 2-2, 3-2 regularly and then strike out? Do you get strong hits when you do connect or is it a lot of dribblers bouncing towards the mound?

Hitting with the offset camera angle really helps to see the pitches. Balls on the outside part of the plate are much easier to spot. Just like in a RL I am patient at the plate and wait for the right pitch. If a pitcher gets me with a sweet pitch on the outside or manages to nibble away at the corners then he can have that. I just HATE striking out with a swinging pitch on a ball. More often than not though you'll be able to draw a walk. The "umpire" balls and strikes can be painful at times but if you're looking for a RL experience then it's pretty realistic.

I hit with analog swinging and the batting cursor on Veteran and really enjoy it. It took some times to get used to it but I have. Oh, and this is all on the Vita version. I've turned on the PS3 version once since I picked it up...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Mac, I am on the Vita also so we should hook up for some games soon.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Hitting man. It's a b*tch. I'm last in the league in average, but near the top in ERA. I'm like some late 60's team stuck in the wrong era. Scoring is my biggest problem, as it's common for me to outhit the opposition but still lose (in part because I hit so few home runs).

I have approaches that work for a few games... start the cursor high in the zone, systematic use of guess pitch with contact swing on two strikes, always take a strike before swinging, guess what's coming based on which breaking ball the pitcher's got the highest confidence in, and so on, but they're always temporary fixes.

When I have the best success is when I can forget everything, stare at the pitcher's hand, simply judge whether this is a pitch I want to swing at or not, and let my subconscious take care of the rest. Thinking situationally just makes me more nervous, better if I'm situation (and sometimes even count) agnostic.

Just hit three late home runs against the Yankees, including two off Mariano. That felt good.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Speaking of bad hitting, had a brutal loss last night. I was facing Clayton Kershaw and just having the worst time timing his fastball. Something about his delivery had me late on the swing, and I was striking out like crazy. His confidence meter was naturally full by the end of the fourth, and I figured I was screwed. But I managed to hit a home run off him, string together some hits, and eventually build a 5-3 lead late after driving his confidence down about halfway.

Kerry Wood promptly entered in the eighth and gives up six runs, including a slam to Matt Kemp. I lost 11-5. I was so proud of myself for breaking out of a confidence black hole at the plate, and then go and f up the pitching.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I just couldn't resist the PS3 version for $39 at BB this weekend so I took the bite. Will play both versions, for those guys that own both do you keep the same camera angles for hitting and pitching as the Vita?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:I just couldn't resist the PS3 version for $39 at BB this weekend so I took the bite. Will play both versions, for those guys that own both do you keep the same camera angles for hitting and pitching as the Vita?
Nope...slightly different just because I need the cursors to be a bit bigger on vita because of the small screen. But same styles of each.