Madden 09 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I am playing 10-minute quarters. I agree with Scoop, 8-minute quarters are too short for realistic results.

I'm not seeing excessive picks. I think I've picked off 3, tops, and its usually 1-2, if any. Also not very many fumbles, which is good.

I'm still in preseason, trying to get the hang of things, and I'm having trouble running with Tomlinson against first-string defenses. I actually have an easier time with the Chargers backup RBs against the 2nd stringers in the second half. I attribute most of it to user error, as the old Madden running tricks are hard to unlearn (and don't work well this year), but I may bump up my run blocking.

One other annoyance is the lack of fatigue. It is there -- I see guys go into the yellow every so often, and even red on rare occasions, but these tend to be DBs who have returned an interception and have to play D again. My line never gets tired, even on long drives. I've read conflicting versions of this at OS (surprise), with some saying they see guys get subbed and others not. I think one of the developers said they were looking at including this in the patch, and that it was a conscious decision because fatigue got abused by no-huddle offenses online last year. How about a slider to adjust it to your liking? Is it really that hard to figure this stuff out?

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Is anyone doing the Dummy profile sliders from OS? I did this, and outside of the annoyance of having to set up the game w/2 controllers, it shows that cpu sliders are definitely needed for this game. Using the dummy profile sliders, it pretty much takes away the Robo QB. I played against the Saints and Raiders, and was able to put a lot of pressure on both QBs where before I couldn't get any INTs or sacks. But now I'm able to force INTs and bad throws from the pressure I'm getting with d-line and backers. It seems it opens up more animations. I saved one play where Tank Johnson was a beast, jumping over downed o-linemen and getting into Brees' face and forcing an int by Pacman Jones. it was a beautiful play and if I can figure out how to embed it this thread I will.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

I saw at cheapassgamer today that Madden 09 CE for PS3 has been clearanced at many TARGET stores nationwide to $44.98. I checked my local store and sure enough, even though the price on the display case is $89.98, it scanned at $44.98. Even though I didn't plan on picking the game up, at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Anyone want to swap their 360 version for my PS3 version?

Edited: Added store name
Last edited by HipE on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Brando70 wrote:
One other annoyance is the lack of fatigue. It is there -- I see guys go into the yellow every so often, and even red on rare occasions, but these tend to be DBs who have returned an interception and have to play D again. My line never gets tired, even on long drives. I've read conflicting versions of this at OS (surprise), with some saying they see guys get subbed and others not. I think one of the developers said they were looking at including this in the patch, and that it was a conscious decision because fatigue got abused by no-huddle offenses online last year. How about a slider to adjust it to your liking? Is it really that hard to figure this stuff out?
A programmer in the official EA Madden forums posted re: fatigue. He's said they intentionally ttoned down fatigue effects because "madden players tend to run the no-huddle" nearly every player as a way to exploit defensive fatigue & wear guys down. LAME@! Why not just a "fatigue effect" slider????

"Hi all, Sean Bailey here, Lead Gameplay Designer for Madden NFL 09.

As some of you may have noticed, players on defense do not fatigue as much as they did last year on Madden NFL 08. I wanted to state first and foremost that this is actually the intended result, and was done on purpose. This is not a bug or a glitch. I’m here to give you a little context on why this decision was made…

I’m sure most of you will agree that Madden gamers run the no-huddle offense way more often than teams do in real life. The frequency in which the average NFL offense ran no-huddle last year was significantly less than the frequency in which the average Madden gamer called no huddle – by a long shot. Last year on Madden NFL 08, offenses were actually able to unfairly “punish” defenses via no-huddle, due to the fact that when the no-huddle ended, several the players on the defense were subbed out unrealistically (i.e. backup WRs subbing in for CBs and safeties). Having drastic substitutions on defense due to fatigue from no-huddling was not fair to the gamer playing on defense (since no-huddle is initiated by the gamer on offense), and to add to that we have failed to see a single NFL game film where offensive players subbed in for defensive players due to fatigue. It was not fair nor realistic to ask a WR to cover Randy Moss, simply because the Patriots were no-huddling on offense. With this knowledge and imbalance from last year, we knew some changes had to be made. The main change was to tie fatigue into more strenuous events like performing hit sticks, getting impact blocked, getting run over, covering a WR on a deep route, etc. We felt that this was a much more realistic representation of how an NFL-caliber athlete “gets fatigued” as well.

We looked at it this way: In Madden NFL 08, no-huddling was the best way to fatigue a defense, which is not the case in the NFL. Long drives and pounding the ball behind a good offensive line is the best way to fatigue a defense…and that’s what we’ve implemented for Madden NFL 09. And just to drive the point home, defensive players DO fatigue this year. I even grabbed a screenshot to showcase this :

Madden’s Lead Designer Ian Cummings has done a great job of staying in touch with you guys and when he told me that the community was concerned over fatigue on defense, I felt obligated to give you an explanation as to why and how fatigue changed in this year’s game. At the same time, I don’t want to give off the impression that I am completely 100% happy with fatigue. There is always room for improvement in a sports simulation video game like Madden. I really appreciate all of your feedback…we definitely listen to and read all of your suggestions, concerns, and comments. Keep it coming!

In the mean time, if any of you want to play Madden or NCAA against me online, shoot a friend request to “Vernon Maxwell.”

Sean Bailey, Lead Gameplay Designer "

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

HipE wrote:I saw at cheapassgamer today that Madden 09 CE for PS3 has been clearanced at many stores nationwide to $44.98. I checked my local store and sure enough, even though the price on the display case is $89.98, it scanned at $44.98. Even though I didn't plan on picking the game up, at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Anyone want to swap their 360 version for my PS3 version?
What stores?? They are selling them at less than the price for the regular version??

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Oops, I meant to type many Target stores, not many stores. I will edit my original post.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

TheGamer wrote:Is anyone doing the Dummy profile sliders from OS? I did this, and outside of the annoyance of having to set up the game w/2 controllers, it shows that cpu sliders are definitely needed for this game. Using the dummy profile sliders, it pretty much takes away the Robo QB. I played against the Saints and Raiders, and was able to put a lot of pressure on both QBs where before I couldn't get any INTs or sacks. But now I'm able to force INTs and bad throws from the pressure I'm getting with d-line and backers. It seems it opens up more animations. I saved one play where Tank Johnson was a beast, jumping over downed o-linemen and getting into Brees' face and forcing an int by Pacman Jones. it was a beautiful play and if I can figure out how to embed it this thread I will.
I was reading about those and will give them a shot.

There was another interesting thread over there about getting more players into the game, like back-up running backs, specialized defenders, etc. The solution was to go into a CPU game and supersim it, then subbing the players by formation. Apparently these formation subs will stick even when you are done with the game. It's a bit of work but a good way to make sure players like Jones-Drew and Reggie Bush get their reps. I'm going to try it for my last preseason game and see if it works.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Brando, I can confirm that the formation substitutions do stick. But you don't have to supersim it or anything. You can do it at the playcall screen as well. I was suprised when I subbed Ware and Ellis as the LE & RE in the dime package and it stuck through the rest of my games. Also on the fatigue/rotation issue, to get a good rotation, you can set the auto subs at about 98 & 100 on the core players such as RB, WR, DT & DE. The starters will get most of the reps of course, but they will get subbed out on a consistent basis.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

Just played an exciting game, Cowboys (me using Heelfan's sliders) vs Redskins (cpu, dummy profile sliders) Season 2 Week 11 of my franchise.

Skins got out to a 14-3 halftime lead behind some great running from Portis, that included a 58yd run, that setup a 2yd td run by Portis. After a 43yd fg by Folk, Skins scored their 2nd td on a 4yd pass to S.Moss.

My defense buckled down and held the Skins scoreless as I took a 17-14 lead in the 3rd qtr on a 1yd run by Barber and an 81yd Int return by DeMarcus Ware that ended the quarter.

4th quarter, Skins took a 21-17 lead with 3:42 left on a 14yd TD pass to Portis. I won the game on a 6yd td run by Romo with just :17 seconds left in the game, kicked off and went to prevent mode to seal the game.

I played on 8 minute quarters as whenever I bump up to 9-10 minutes, I have extremely high scoring games, averaging 40-50 pts. The Cowboys offense is explosive, but that is too much. I think I got some pretty realistic stats for both me and the cpu using the slider settings. Only adjustment I made to Heel's sliders is lowering the int setting to 15 from 20 as I was getting too many prior to. This game I got 2. Here are the stats of the game:

Dallas 3 0 14 7 24
Wash 7 7 0 7 21

Passing comp/att yds td int rating
Romo 22-32 285 0 2 70.4
Campbell 23-29 235 2 2 94.6

Rushing att yds td
Barber 11 46 1
Jones 3 8 0
Romo 1 6 1

Porter 13 107 1
Betts 4 16 0
Campbell 1 5 0

Receiving cat yds td
Witten 6 63 0
Owens 6 78 0
Hurd 5 93 0
Crayton 2 33 0
Stanback 1 4 0
Barber 1 6 0
Jones 1 8 0

Portis 6 70 1
Cooley 5 58 0
Randel El 4 46 0
Moss 3 19 1
Thomas 3 32 0
Kreider 2 10 0

DeMarcus Ware was the POTG and POTW with 13 tackles 2 sacks 1 int 1 FF and 1 TD.

Overall a very exciting game.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Went 13-3 w/ the Vikes and got home field. First game in the playoffs I play the Saints, one of the teams that beat me in the regular season. They manhandled me during that game. 5 sacks, 2 force fumbles, etc.. and picked me apart w/ their offense.

But different story in this game. I rush AP like mad. He has 52 yards after the first half but first play 2nd half hurts his ankle and is out for the game. Saints try a furious comeback but i end up winning and get to the nfc champ game vs the rams.

For the first time I can remember in a long long time, this felt like a BIG GAME for a madden game. Like a Real Playoff game. I don't mind the announcer, but I think Collinsworth just is excellent during the playoff games.

This game is sweet this year. Ncaa and Madden 09 have really stepped up this year. I haven't even tried head coach and I probably won't, but a great year for football gaming.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's good that they are addresing the OB issue.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I am happy for this one.....

17. CPU quick-snap: A very common complaint on the forums was the speed at which the CPU snapped the ball. We added a random length of time (no less than 5 seconds) for the CPU to wait and even make pre-play adjustments.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Pete wrote:I am happy for this one.....

17. CPU quick-snap: A very common complaint on the forums was the speed at which the CPU snapped the ball. We added a random length of time (no less than 5 seconds) for the CPU to wait and even make pre-play adjustments.
Same here. Also like the fix for the CPU player running out of bounds and field degradation.

Sadly, no Robo QB fix unless CPU sliders make it in to the game eventually.
Last edited by sportdan30 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

there are some MAJOR issues with pausing the game under 2 mins left. causes freezing and sometimes it will not even let you.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Wow, it is pretty incredible they tackled that much stuff with the patch.

I hope that they can also get the Sim Pack released on XBL.

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

Pete wrote:I am happy for this one.....

That's the one that I was hoping for too. All the tools for stopping Robo QB might be available in the defensive adjustments but I never have time to even make any. I know on offense, the AI defense has a hard time adjusting to hot routes and last second audibles. I think the AI definitely knows the play you're calling and makes their play calls based on that. Hot routing blitzers are more effective than calling designed blitz plays. Having the time to make these adjustments at the line will be most welcome.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

The dream is over. Got my ass kicked in the NFC Champ game 31-7. AP had two crucial fumbles. Great #'s, but fumbled at the wrong place and wrong time in the game. I guess he was trying to do a thurman thomas impression.

So I turned on the SB game and yup, they don't have team specific endzones. How lazy can you be EA. No big deal, the game is good this year but stuff like that should be in.

Well, I'll probably try doing a season with the niners now.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The Dummy profile thing definitely makes a difference in gameplay. I tried it out for a game and a half, and the game played quite differently than it does with IQ or human sliders only. The half-game I played was my Chargers preseason finale against the Niners. Alex Smith was efficient but not robo, hitting 60% of his passes, including a nice 20-yarder to Vernon Davis that Davis stretched into a 45-yard TD. The CPU also ran a lot more consistently. One drive, the Niners ran six out of 7 plays, scoring on a 40-yard run where Gore broke a tackle to get loose.

The first season game against the Panthers was where I really saw the difference. Delhomme was terrible. He hit 40% of his passes, threw four picks, and missed on a few throws, including a short curl that is always money for the CPU. The AI threw more because it fell behind, but still rushed the ball fairly frequently.

If you have 2 controllers, this really is worth trying out. It takes a little time to set up the first time -- you have to make a new XBox profile, then make ALL your gameplay adjustments (sliders, penalties, subs, options) for that profile. Once you've done it and saved it, though, it's a piece of cake.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:
If you have 2 controllers, this really is worth trying out. It takes a little time to set up the first time -- you have to make a new XBox profile, then make ALL your gameplay adjustments (sliders, penalties, subs, options) for that profile. Once you've done it and saved it, though, it's a piece of cake.
That shouldn't be too much of a burden since some of you guys are already playing games that last longer than the 100 Years War. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Tried the PSP version last night. Like it a bunch. Anyone use any sliders for the PSP version?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:
Brando70 wrote:
That shouldn't be too much of a burden since some of you guys are already playing games that last longer than the 100 Years War. :)
If I don't get realistic stats, then all this fake football has been for nothing!

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Brando70 wrote:
TheGamer wrote:Is anyone doing the Dummy profile sliders from OS? I did this, and outside of the annoyance of having to set up the game w/2 controllers, it shows that cpu sliders are definitely needed for this game. Using the dummy profile sliders, it pretty much takes away the Robo QB. I played against the Saints and Raiders, and was able to put a lot of pressure on both QBs where before I couldn't get any INTs or sacks. But now I'm able to force INTs and bad throws from the pressure I'm getting with d-line and backers. It seems it opens up more animations. I saved one play where Tank Johnson was a beast, jumping over downed o-linemen and getting into Brees' face and forcing an int by Pacman Jones. it was a beautiful play and if I can figure out how to embed it this thread I will.
I was reading about those and will give them a shot.

There was another interesting thread over there about getting more players into the game, like back-up running backs, specialized defenders, etc. The solution was to go into a CPU game and supersim it, then subbing the players by formation. Apparently these formation subs will stick even when you are done with the game. It's a bit of work but a good way to make sure players like Jones-Drew and Reggie Bush get their reps. I'm going to try it for my last preseason game and see if it works.
Who's sliders were you guys using? The ones from that really long dummy profile thread at OS?

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

^yes, for the cpu. the sliders are updated in the very first post. But I do use Heelfan's sliders for me. Another trick that seems to work if you don't have 2 controllers is to start the game as the opposing team and just before kick off switch back to your team. Supposedly, whatever sliders you are using under your profile will stick to the cpu. I haven't tried this yet, but seeing that the dummy profile settings stick, I would assume the same would work.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

AJColossal wrote: Who's sliders were you guys using? The ones from that really long dummy profile thread at OS?
I used those for the CPU and Heel's for me. I will probably adjust them as I thought it made the game a little too easy. But it definitely made the CPU QBs more likely to be erratic.