The Golf Club 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: The Golf Club 2019

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Danimal wrote:If you're already shooting -7 or -8 a round with Pro clubs then why switch?
Because I can't even sniff the scores people were posting with Beginner clubs and I don't find it as much fun to play when I am already out of the running for the tournament after a few holes/rounds. Sounds like we are ok with a number of us using Beginner clubs for the time being. If there was a rule that we needed to move back to Pro, I would be TOTALLY cool with that.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Danimal wrote:If you're already shooting -7 or -8 a round with Pro clubs then why switch?
Because I can't even sniff the scores people were posting with Beginner clubs and I don't find it as much fun to play when I am already out of the running for the tournament after a few holes/rounds. Sounds like we are ok with a number of us using Beginner clubs for the time being. If there was a rule that we needed to move back to Pro, I would be TOTALLY cool with that.
I don't understand your point. You just shot a -35, you had no idea before 2 days ago 1 guy was playing with beginner clubs and if I recall you have won some events or been close. If that's not you, my mistake. I'm out of the tournament every week by round 1.

Also what guys are shooting incredible scores here using beginner clubs? Aside from Vader, and I guess me now who else was using them?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I wouldn't call any of my scores with beginner clubs incredible as I have had better overall scores with pro clubs before the last patch, like I said I only switched because the tempo is definitely screwed up for me with the pro clubs and otherwise would have shelved the game a couple of weeks ago if not for the beginner clubs giving me back a little sanity playing this game.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Danimal wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:
I don't understand your point. You just shot a -35, you had no idea before 2 days ago 1 guy was playing with beginner clubs and if I recall you have won some events or been close. If that's not you, my mistake. I'm out of the tournament every week by round 1.

Also what guys are shooting incredible scores here using beginner clubs? Aside from Vader, and I guess me now who else was using them?
You are correct on all counts. Yes, I've won 2 events when I used Pro clubs and they were exciting affairs as I was able to edge out J Cauthen and 10s. But then, a couple weeks ago, Vader shot up to the top of the charts posting scores that I cannot touch with Pro clubs. I learned why his scores improved so I tried the same thing. I honestly thought it would be hard to score well with beginner clubs due to distance and spin control, but I discovered that is not the case.

Not trying to cause trouble, was just trying to get a read on our rules of fair play.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Leadfoot5 wrote:But then, a couple weeks ago, Vader shot up to the top of the charts posting scores that I cannot touch with Pro clubs. I learned why his scores improved so I tried the same thing. I honestly thought it would be hard to score well with beginner clubs due to distance and spin control, but I discovered that is not the case.

Not trying to cause trouble, was just trying to get a read on our rules of fair play.
Well Vader was consistently at the top of the charts last year and earlier this year using Pro clubs. The different clubs are there so people with various skill levels can compete and have fun. If you're shooting a -35 with beginner clubs then you probably shouldn't be using them if you want a challenge. I know I've always used Pro clubs but there is definitely something wrong with them. I went from shooting -1 to -5 under to shooting +13, that just didn't happen after the last patch by coincidence.

Also its not like you can enforce the rules of club choice. So even if we all agree to play on pro clubs, if someone puts up a great score are people going to think they are using beginner clubs? Should we also ban Elite controllers? because those are an advantage for people who have them over the stock XB1 controller.

Personally I don't care that much about winning this is just something to do with friends but I want to have fun while playing and right now for me the Pro clubs are so broken I can't use them.
Follow Me on:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I am not good at this game by any means, but I have enjoyed video golf since the Magnavox Odyssey 2: Computer Golf!, and I really want to support a company trying to release a decent video golf game. I have purchased all versions of this game, including the VR version. It is sad that after 3 versions of this game they still can't get it sorted out. I have only been using beginner clubs and I have yet to shoot under Par, but I have not played it since the last patch, so I guess I should check it out. There should be a give and take for going up the chain of more difficult clubs. Turn 10 does this very well with assists in FM7 and FH4. It's much harder with them off, but if you learn it well (no clutch, manual shifting, etc.) in most cases you will be much faster in the end.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DChaps wrote: There should be a give and take for going up the chain of more difficult clubs.
i guess that depends what they are shooting for. If the clubs are simply to make the game more challenging like they appear to be then they should of allowed tournament to set a club option. Like only Pro clubs or better etc.

If they were going for the harder clubs give you advantage (i don't think they were) then they utterly failed because besides a slight distance advantage I don't see much else. Honestly I've stuck more shots with my beginner clubs in 5 rounds then my Pro clubs. So I'm not sure I understand what they are trying to do.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Played the two round official open society course today and checked 4 of the top players scores and one was using pro clubs while the other 3 used beginner clubs, guy with current top score used beginner clubs and shot rounds of -16, -17.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well that explains a lot.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It seems the more realistic they try to make this game, the more unrealistic it becomes. I had my fill with TGC2 and its defies the laws of physics gameplay.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:It seems the more realistic they try to make this game, the more unrealistic it becomes. I had my fill with TGC2 and its defies the laws of physics gameplay.
With ya.

I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on TGC 2019, even at $25 during the Microsoft Black Friday sale. The game seems to be more of a chore than fun to play, based on feedback here.

I can't recall another sports title about which I've seen more b*tching around here. And I know the complaints are justified because they come from a handful of passionate virtual and real golfers here at DSP.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on TGC 2019, even at $25 during the Microsoft Black Friday sale. The game seems to be more of a chore than fun to play, based on feedback here.
well let me tell you the good parts then.

the single player PGA mode while a bit bare bones is fun to play. I find myself playing that more than online societies outside of DSP. If you can actually find friends to play with online, the Alternate shot matches are a blast. Finally as a single player experience where you just want to shoot some rounds on various course it is also fun.

Online societies bring out the competitive side of people and clearly people are doing whatever they can to win, talking official societies here. Who knew the guys posting killer scores were using beginner clubs. That is a problem that can be easily fixed by either nerfing distances or more effectively making club choice a requirement for a tournament.

Still curious Vader how you can tell what clubs someone used.
Follow Me on:

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Danimal wrote:
pk500 wrote: Still curious Vader how you can tell what clubs someone used.
I started a round in the TGC official open society and at the beginning of the round added a couple of the top ghost players to my group, saw the driving distance of their driver listed as what the beginner clubs are and then just played the one hole with their ghosts and then removed them from my group so it wouldn't take forever to finish my round and then added a couple more ghost players in the second round to see what they were using, you can only add ghost players at the beginning of a round.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

For me, I don't care a whit about the PGA license, given how good the community is at replicating damn near every PGA stop in TGC2. That, and I barely play anymore.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Seeing the low scores lately by Vader and Leadfoot, I decided to give beginners club a go for the first time in TGC2. I like to see our tournaments competitive among us but when you’re out by more than a dozen strokes, then you have to join the elites. Don’t get me wrong, after playing today’s tournament with the easier clubs, you still have to make the putts, which is not that easy.

But it is definitely more forgiving with the irons and woods in general giving you a perfect/perfect tempo even when you think you’ve messed up on your swing.

For the record, I wasn’t unhappy playing with the Pro clubs but you do want to be part of the conversation in the late stages of a weekend tournament and not feel like you have a chance in hell on the first round.

And currently even when I have a Perfect tempo on Pros, it doesn’t show so on the ball paths. And it definitely doesn’t feel like a perfect swing. So in a way, I understand those that are fed up and go back to beginners.

Here’s what I suggest and would like to hear everyone’s input. How about during the weekday tournaments everyone can play with whatever clubs they want, but for the weekends we all go back to the Pros or above? All four rounds.

Your thoughts...

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote: Here’s what I suggest and would like to hear everyone’s input. How about during the weekday tournaments everyone can play with whatever clubs they want, but for the weekends we all go back to the Pros or above? All four rounds.

Your thoughts...
I'll go back to Pro's if that is what people want but they are definetly broken, they weren't like this at launch. John any news from HBS on this front?

I guess if you play with people's Ghost you can check what they are playing by the yardage but geesh if people can't follow a house rule in a society like this then we're screwed anyway
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:
10spro wrote: Here’s what I suggest and would like to hear everyone’s input. How about during the weekday tournaments everyone can play with whatever clubs they want, but for the weekends we all go back to the Pros or above? All four rounds.

Your thoughts...
I'll go back to Pro's if that is what people want but they are definetly broken, they weren't like this at launch. John any news from HBS on this front?

I guess if you play with people's Ghost you can check what they are playing by the yardage but geesh if people can't follow a house rule in a society like this then we're screwed anyway
Yeah, I don’t think we need to worry about not following the rules here Danimal. I played online with everyone here and I know that they truly enjoy the game of golf. By going to the Pros basically it keeps the score honest in my view, it sucks that it doesn’t truly define your shots as you hit them but for now it is what it is.

To further see how I would do with the beginners’ club, how much forgiving it is, I am leading the current Open at Muir Woods after two rounds. Moi? But again you still need to convert on your putts and be lucky as I was on some approaches.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, I saw another beautiful tactical course that we should all try it at one point. It’s called ‘Hell’s Ridge’ (Devils edition), it seems quite long too with elevation drops so probably Pro clubs are the way to go and I was impressed with the visuals overall. Mountains are just beautiful to watch.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Well as I said before I only switched to beginner clubs because I was having absolutely no fun at all with the broken tempo pro clubs after the last patch, so I will just retire from the DSP Society tourneys until the next patch to see if the pro clubs get fixed.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vader29 wrote:Well as I said before I only switched to beginner clubs because I was having absolutely no fun at all with the broken tempo pro clubs after the last patch, so I will just retire from the DSP Society tourneys until the next patch to see if the pro clubs get fixed.
Yeah that will be me as well, I tried playing a round with Pro clubs yesterday to see and yeah, no thanks.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

While ultimately the decision is yours, I don’t think you need to that. If beginners club still brings some joy in your golf game then we should all do the same. The point again was to close the gap in the weekend tournaments where we all play four rounds and not to judge which clubs you use.

There’s definitely a frustration level on Pros when you want the ball path to go a certain way and then it just doesn’t despite the perfect feedback you may get. Knowing that, I thought we could all use it as a handicap for the weekend tourneys only. Not to force you to play where you start hating the gameplay.

But carry on, just wanted to see what you guys thought...

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I'm totally good with the proposed rule to ban Beginner Clubs from the weekend events. The way I see it, we are all hampered by the same wonkyness right? But, if it means people are going bow out until the next patch, that doesn't seem fair.

After using Beginner Clubs for the past week or so, I think the biggest advantage to them is a greatly reduced likelihood of a "blow-up" hole that ruins your round. It takes the pressure off of your driver and long iron swings, and puts the focus on your approach shots and putting.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

For me it has nothing to do about competing, I'm always in last or second to last. If the game isn't enjoyable then I don't really want to spend the time, if you hit a perfect / perfect shot and for some reason on that swing the top of the line on the follow through just goes a little right and you get a banana slice, well that's not fun.

I honestly think this is what they intended, this isn't a bug. A whole lot of people complained at launch and they amped up the difficulty. You think they would have the data to look at their users and see these guys winning, they are using the easy clubs.

I'll be more inclined to play when the season starts and we start following the PGA schedules again or if we set up some match play or alternate shot matches.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm about ready to give it up with the Master clubs, due to the broken and inconsistent tempo I find with them currently. This was reaffirmed after I bought the PC version last weekend during the Steam sale, for $29.99, I can use Master clubs with it and get tempo results that are far more commensurate with what I'm feeling in my hand.

I truly hope that HBS is going to address this in the forthcoming patch. I haven't heard them acknowledge that it's truly a problem with the XBox One version, but I suspect they'd be wanting to underplay it and soft peddle it if it was there. I think it will get fixed though But my goodness this swing feels so much better and playable on the PC version right now :?

I'm currently working 72 hours a week, so I'll have to pick my spots to play. I haven't given up, I've just come to terms with the limits of my time. This will end in about 18 days and then I'll be looking at early retirement :D

I'm going to try Pro clubs this weekend during the 72 hole event, but it sounds like it's not holding up much more consistently than Master clubs from the feedback here?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Man, you guys are loyal. There must be a diamond under all this sludge, as I can't recall of a title in DSP history that is criticized more yet retains such a dedicated player base in here.

Good on ya.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425