The Show "MLB 07" Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

OS is reporting there's a patch available for the PS3 version of The Show.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Yep, it fixes the online sync issues along with the A's nighttime problem. Plus, I hear there is a new live roster update as well. Looking forward to downloading both when I get home from work.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

A heads-up: make sure you follow the instructions included with the patch very closely or you'll end up repeating the process. The trick is to:

1. Delete the MLB cache files;
2. Launch the game and allow it to create new ones;
3. Create a new profile when prompted;
4. Try to log on to Sportsconnect (or whatever the online in-game is called). It will tell you you need to install the patch.
5. Quit the game and return to the PS3 main screen;
6. Go to the Playstation Store. When there, go to "downloadable game content," choose "Show all," and look under "M" for MLB.
7. Download the patch. It should auto-install (although the version earlier today didn't);
8. Re-launch MLB, go to Sportsconnect. You should connect and be prompted to download the latest roster update.

I haven't tried an online game yet, so I can't speak to the connectivity improvements, but I can confirm it fixes the McAfee night game freeze bug that has been a thorn in my side since release - thanks Sony!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just updated the patch. Wish Sony made things easier for updates. I had the 1.81 version so it also prompted me to upgrade to 1.82 first, then to the MLB patch. But I like the new attributes on some players and hopefully the game runs much smoother now online.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Can anyone confirm if it fixed online performance? I would love to play some of you guys online. Haven't done that in years.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Can anyone confirm if it fixed online performance? I would love to play some of you guys online. Haven't done that in years.
Let me know when you're interested in playing Javi. Gotta avenge my CH loss to ya.

This game is still the reigning sports video game of the year......

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

sportdan30 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Can anyone confirm if it fixed online performance? I would love to play some of you guys online. Haven't done that in years.
Let me know when you're interested in playing Javi. Gotta avenge my CH loss to ya.

Whenever.

But, how do you invite someone from your buddy list? :lol:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:

Whenever.

perfect follow up to Dan's statement. just made me chuckle.

BTW, what's the Oakland bug?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

greggsand wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote: Let me know when you're interested in playing Javi. Gotta avenge my CH loss to ya.

Whenever.

perfect follow up to Dan's statement. just made me chuckle.

BTW, what's the Oakland bug?

Now I know how... And it sucks.

When you enter Sportsconnect go to:

Manage List -> Buddy List -> Press square to add a buddy... BUT you must enter your friends name manually. :roll:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It's gotta be said again and again. This game is just flat out fantastic. It's been out how many months and I can't frickin wait to get home to play another game this evening. My Cards are 5 games out behind the Cubs and Brewers. Talk about mirroring the actual baseball season.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

sportdan30 wrote:It's gotta be said again and again. This game is just flat out fantastic. It's been out how many months and I can't frickin wait to get home to play another game this evening. My Cards are 5 games out behind the Cubs and Brewers. Talk about mirroring the actual baseball season.
I was just about to bump this thread. This game is, hands down, the best console sports game I've ever played. I'm playing on default All Star and have had zero need to tweak one single slider. I downloaded the most recent roster update on Monday, and started a new Phillies franchise. We're currently 5-4. Unlike my previous franchise, I enabled CPU roster control for this one, and I made all of the recent trade deadline transactions.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I'm with you guys...this is my favorite sports game ever. I love baseball but I've never had a game that's kept my interest this many months after release. What a great bonus that the real life Cards have snuck back into contention, giving me even more to enjoy with the game.

I honestly don't have any suggestions as to how I'd like to see them improve the game next year, aside from adding even more animations and touching up the graphics some. Great game.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

GTHobbes wrote:I'm with you guys...this is my favorite sports game ever. I love baseball but I've never had a game that's kept my interest this many months after release. What a great bonus that the real life Cards have snuck back into contention, giving me even more to enjoy with the game.

I honestly don't have any suggestions as to how I'd like to see them improve the game next year, aside from adding even more animations and touching up the graphics some. Great game.
I'm just now getting to sink my teeth into this after getting around the freezing at the start screen,trying to obtain the latest rosters. (I now know what a usb flash drive is,handy little device :wink:).
Gonna start a season with the Tribe.
As far as improvements...pump up the graphics for sure. Also let me decide what uniforms the opponent is going to wear,and how about older ballparks(don't care if I gotta unlock them) and let me use them in my season. Keeps a series fresh if I got a 3 game set in Detroit,and can play a couple in Comerica,and one in Tiger Stadium. I always loved that aspect in MVP for the pc.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:I'm with you guys...this is my favorite sports game ever. I love baseball but I've never had a game that's kept my interest this many months after release. What a great bonus that the real life Cards have snuck back into contention, giving me even more to enjoy with the game.

Cardinals in contention? Are you nuts? :P

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:

Cardinals in contention? Are you nuts? :P
Yeah, my Cards lost last night to the Braves after going up 3-0 through five. Looper was cruising through 4 and a half and then just got lit up (much like last night against the Pirates) by the Braves. They scored 4 runs in the 5th and added a couple more in the 8th to put the game out of reach. My confidence went from very high after my 3-0 lead to oooh so low by the late innings.

Still, this game never ceases to amaze me. There were a couple plays in the field in which Edmonds booted a ball in the outfield, and Eckstein had trouble getting the ball out of his glove allowing the inning to continue. I was bummed big time by the loss (dropped back to 6 games), but this game just rocks!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I agree that this game continues to keep me interested long after most baseball games have already hit Ebay. What I would like to see next year is a analog pitching and hitting option.....make the game more interactive using the thumb sticks. I LOVE the step/timing part of the 2K game.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Joining the love parade (again). The only thing keeping me from annointing the PS3 version "game of the year" is that I love the PSP version nearly as much. In the latter I'm now in 2016, two games behind the Tigers with the Twins and two head-to-head games left in the season.

With the McAfee bug now fixed, I really can't think of much I would change in the PS3 version for next year - here's hoping they only add fluff and don't fiddle with the engine. (Edit: I forgot about the profile issue - double counting games - that should be an easy fix). I still think the graphics as they now stand are getting a bad rap. Give me the butter framerates and stellar animations over slightly higher-detail models any day.

Along with the WE series, the Show has the best animations of any sports game, ever. I still see stuff I hadn't noticed before. I zoomed in on a replay of a shot to the gap and watched the runner look over his shoulder at the ball before taking an extra base. Amazing stuff.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, I do think they'll implement new features, perhaps something similar to what Jack suggested. The reason I say this is because every review I've read states that the game lacks the innovation of 2K7. I don't think the developers are satisfied either. While I consider this my favorite sports video game, I do think they need to attempt to keep the game fresh.

Speaking of the graphics. It's funny, because I think they too get a bad rap. The graphics of 2K7 on the 360 are definitely nicer. However, 2K7 on the PS3 looks like crap compared to The Show. I'm quite content with the graphics as well. The animations more than make up for it.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am of of those who believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it believers. In terms of innovation, yes Sony could add a different dimension as to how the ball can be hit next year instead of the X and Square buttons. But by adding that, I hope they don't mess up with the main engine. Graphics wise I am pretty sure they will get better in 08, but as long as the animations and gameplay remain intact, I'll be a happy camper. Like Blub, this game is a hoot to play on the PSP and along WE and NHL 07, they are the best sports games for the PSP.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Make the graphics better. MLB2K7 look much better graphically.

I also have a list of thigns for my addicition RTTS.

Overall this is the best sports game I have played in 10 years or so.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Blublub wrote:I love the PSP version nearly as much.
How is the hitting on the PSP version. I enjoyed last year on the PSP, but there was way too much offense. I would regularly get 16-20 hits per game.

Rick

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

icvu42 wrote:
How is the hitting on the PSP version. I enjoyed last year on the PSP, but there was way too much offense. I would regularly get 16-20 hits per game.

Rick
To be honest it is still on the high side, but not as bad as 2006. You do have to turn contact down all the way to "0" for both the CPU and human. I also don't use "guess pitch," which I think makes the hit totals higher. Most games are around 10 hits each, although far fewer does happen - I just finished a 1-0 loss in a real pitchers' battle. I think I got 2 hits and gave up 3.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Glad you guys are enjoying the game, it's the one game I'm jealous of you ps3 owners. :)

I've finally set on Baseball Mogul 08 as my baseball game this year. I did play many games of 2k7, but as football creeps closer, I traded it in on APF 2k8. I really hope next year MLB 2k8 gets closer to The Show in terms of gameplay. I would have to believe at 60fps, MLB 2k8 would already be a better game on the field.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:Glad you guys are enjoying the game, it's the one game I'm jealous of you ps3 owners. :)

I've finally set on Baseball Mogul 08 as my baseball game this year. I did play many games of 2k7, but as football creeps closer, I traded it in on APF 2k8. I really hope next year MLB 2k8 gets closer to The Show in terms of gameplay. I would have to believe at 60fps, MLB 2k8 would already be a better game on the field.
I think it'll be significantly improved, and may just give The Show a run for its money. I'm excited about the future of the baseball games than I am about football.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Better because it would be at 60fps?

I thought whatever made people rave about The Show had more to do with the gameplay, not graphics or framerate (which is already 60 fps IIRC)?