Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Its the 405 again the lesser model, 605/7 are the ones i believe.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:Targwt has A 65" LG for $728 today after some discounts. Decent deal, or should I wait til after super bowl to save even more??
This TCL 65” is a $100 cheaper and pretty good.
https://www.target.com/p/tcl-65-4k-hdr- ... lnk=newtab

I’m guessing this is the LG you are talking about??
https://www.target.com/p/lg-174-65-4k-u ... nk=sametab
Looks like that TCL is $630 with the 15% discount they are running today.
Is it a better TV than the LG? I won't sweat an extra 100 if the LG is superior. Thanks!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah what do you want to do with the new TV, just get the biggest screen for the least amount of money or get something which may be smaller but could be nicer for Netflix HDR content?

I'm guessing the LG 65-inch doesn't support HDR at that price.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

wco81 wrote:Yeah what do you want to do with the new TV, just get the biggest screen for the least amount of money or get something which may be smaller but could be nicer for Netflix HDR content?

Description says active hdr.

I just want the best 65" TV for a solid price. Basically the Honda Accord. Doesn't have to be top tier or have every option, but I don't want something as bad as my current 4 year old 55" insignia that I paid $500 for.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

fletcher21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Yeah what do you want to do with the new TV, just get the biggest screen for the least amount of money or get something which may be smaller but could be nicer for Netflix HDR content?

Description says active hdr.

I just want the best 65" TV for a solid price. Basically the Honda Accord. Doesn't have to be top tier or have every option, but I don't want something as bad as my current 4 year old 55" insignia that I paid $500 for.

Must be this model?

https://www.target.com/p/lg-174-65-4k-u ... nk=sametab

Here are the ratings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

Around the same price, the 55-inch TCL P series is suppose to be better.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

But you're trading size for quality.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I picked up the Sony X900E yesterday and after figuring out all the configurations, this is an impressive TV! I'll say this right now, do not get a 4K TV without HDR, its a game changer. Watched a couple episodes of Planet Earth II, and I think our dog loved this more than the family did! Not sure if it was the contrast from the TV, the new sound from the new sound system, or a combination of the two, but he was into watching this as much as we were!

But seriously, if you can budget a "midrange" 4K TV, definitely looking into this one, great brightness, excellent blacks, and relatively low input lag for gaming. No motion issues watching football as well.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

My only regret was not going bigger. I just went with 49", mostly too avoid annoying the wife. But 55" would have been fine, and I would have loved to go 65". But really, we sit pretty close to the TV because of the way our room is shaped.

But I could not be happier with the x900e.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Got me an LG C7 65" OLED last week. Perfection.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Spooky wrote:Got me an LG C7 65" OLED last week. Perfection.
Incredible TV for sure. If the OLED quality is there after 4 years, I see myself getting one of those next. The $ I saved with this TV will just go towards and OLED down the road.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

AcemanPR wrote:
Incredible TV for sure. If the OLED quality is there after 4 years, I see myself getting one of those next. The $ I saved with this TV will just go towards and OLED down the road.
That is me as well....just about to one year with the 8000 series Samsung and in a couple of years I could be looking for an upgrade.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Unsurpassed blacks as well as local dimming make it the best that is out there today. Congrats!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

OLED doesn't have local dimming, which is something used on LCD TVs.

BTW, rumors are that Samsung is bringing back FALD TVs next year.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I’m very curious to hear your reports regarding image retention on that thing. Being a plasma guy from the beginning, I would lean heavily towards the OLED panel for a new TV. For me, movie image quality is paramount and gaming is secondary. The IR on my newer Panny Plasma (forget what model but it’s about 5 years old, went to 1080p from an old 42”) is just as bad if not worse than my old
Panny. But I’m never worried about burn-in.

I’ve read that everything about those LG OLEDs is amazing, obviously for movies and especially for gaming response, but the IR / potential for burn in would worry me a lot. I’d love to hear about your experiences, Spooky.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:OLED doesn't have local dimming, which is something used on LCD TVs.

BTW, rumors are that Samsung is bringing back FALD TVs next year.
Then my source was full of it....

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

OLED has individual pixels which can be turned on or off, so it's emissive display technology.

For LCD, the backlight controls the brightness of the screen so some TVs have dimming zones. They can't control the output of each pixel like emissive displays but some of the more expensive LCDs have a lot of dimming zones.

It doesn't have to be 1 dimming zone for each pixel. You'd be talking about millions of individual backlight to turn on and off. But the most expensive LCD TVs like the Sony ZD9 can get away with dozens or hundreds of dimming zones.

The TCL P series have enough dimming zones to be effective.

But OLED still does better with rendering of blacks since each pixel can be turned on or off.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:OLED has individual pixels which can be turned on or off, so it's emissive display technology.

For LCD, the backlight controls the brightness of the screen so some TVs have dimming zones. They can't control the output of each pixel like emissive displays but some of the more expensive LCDs have a lot of dimming zones.

It doesn't have to be 1 dimming zone for each pixel. You'd be talking about millions of individual backlight to turn on and off. But the most expensive LCD TVs like the Sony ZD9 can get away with dozens or hundreds of dimming zones.

The TCL P series have enough dimming zones to be effective.

But OLED still does better with rendering of blacks since each pixel can be turned on or off.
Thanks for the feedback....good to know.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Zeppo wrote:
I’m very curious to hear your reports regarding image retention on that thing. Being a plasma guy from the beginning, I would lean heavily towards the OLED panel for a new TV. For me, movie image quality is paramount and gaming is secondary. The IR on my newer Panny Plasma (forget what model but it’s about 5 years old, went to 1080p from an old 42”) is just as bad if not worse than my old
Panny. But I’m never worried about burn-in.

I’ve read that everything about those LG OLEDs is amazing, obviously for movies and especially for gaming response, but the IR / potential for burn in would worry me a lot. I’d love to hear about your experiences, Spooky.
I’ve had the C7 since June. I’ve watched a ton sports (8 hours of red zone every Sunday) with static images & no issues to date - not even minor retention. Great set.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There are complaints on AVS about OLED burn in.

But there's not some large scale abandonment because of it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:There are complaints on AVS about OLED burn in.

But there's not some large scale abandonment because of it.
I don't know the specifics of OLED TVs, but many people tried to scare me off of buying a plasma TV in 2009 due to burn-in. I bought one anyways.

I was careful to avoid static images, streaming tickers, constant network logos, etc., during my first 50 hours with the set. I've had absolutely zero problems with ghosting or burn-in in eight years with my Panny plasma.

Wouldn't be surprised if the same was true with OLED TVs. Be careful, and it will give you years of flawless pleasure. I bet the vast majority of people who b*tch about burn-in are dumbasses with their tech gear, not paying attention to detail or taking precautions early in the lifetime of their equipment.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

From what I heard, pretty sure OLED is worse than plasma for burn in.

My plasmas have been going strong for years and one of them has ESPN and other channels with logos and tickers on for hours at a time.

But if you're paying a premium on OLED, you are likely to be watching more content from Blu Ray discs or 4K HDR streaming than TV.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

All good points. Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback, man. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

wco81 wrote:From what I heard, pretty sure OLED is worse than plasma for burn in.

My plasmas have been going strong for years and one of them has ESPN and other channels with logos and tickers on for hours at a time.

But if you're paying a premium on OLED, you are likely to be watching more content from Blu Ray discs or 4K HDR streaming than TV.
Your buying a TV still what makes you think someone is paying that much to watch a rerun on a DVD.
I'm guessing they are going to be watching more TV than the other stuff.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
wco81 wrote:From what I heard, pretty sure OLED is worse than plasma for burn in.

Your buying a TV still what makes you think someone is paying that much to watch a rerun on a DVD.
I'm guessing they are going to be watching more TV than the other stuff.
It's certainly a niche who will go for ultimate quality.

Why pay $2500 or more for an OLED when you can get the same sized TV for under $1000?

You can watch TV on it but if you want native 4K HDR, you have to go with discs or streaming. It would be a different matter if the major sports were broadcast in 4K HDR content but the ATSC 3.0 standard is just now in the process of being approved. Some countries will broadcast the Olympics and World Cup in 4K though. Last two Superbowls were filmed with 4K cameras but they had no way to deliver it.

The demos they ran on these TVs at the stores are gorgeous, shot with the most expensive camera and gear around. But the content you get on TV will be nowhere near as good.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

What you say is true, WCO, and it’s a big part of the reason I have been able to resist the pull to buy a new tv. Right now, it’s really just games that seem to benefit the most from 4K and HDR. I’m sure I’d be all about watching movies in 4K and HDR and Dolby Vision from time to time, but we just don’t watch movies all that often, and TV, especially sports, just isn’t there. So I’m waiting for the tech and the feature sets to mature and the prices to go down. As a certified image quality obsessive for movies and to a degree the better shows on tv (some of the hbo stuff can look great, for example), I just can’t get past what OLED can do versus even the best local dimming LCD screens.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For those that are thinking Samsung, here are the deals and options.

http://www.avsforum.com/top-x-best-blac ... right-now/