Grand Theft Auto V

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Teal »

I've finished the main campaign, yet I continue to be stunned by the attention to detail and the sheer...ahem..depth of this world.

I have purchased a marina with a submarine, and have wasted the last two hours looking for nuclear waste barrels undersea. I've found some barrels, a crashed airliner, and...a UFO...so far.
:D
This is the biggest time suck I have ever purchased. 8O
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

If I was a younger man I would so make a crazy-ass YouTube video of GTA V mayhem set to Guy Clark's "L.A. Freeway" and it would be so bitchin'.

XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Holy balls, I saw this on Kotaku. If you don't watch the whole thing, start around 2:20 and watch to the end.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I was on a particularly boring conference call, so I put together this:

https://play.spotify.com/user/robvarak/ ... gCAlhY34Tm

It's a playlist inspired by the 3 protagonists. I put Michael at about 53 years-old, so I went with the kind of stuff that a mobbed up guy of that age would probably go for. The Trevor stuff is country-baked stuff: Bakersfield Sound classics, Cosmic Cowboy $hit and some other lunatic country perfect for ganking hippies on the road to Joshua Tree. Franklin is just a slightly deeper cut look at the classic L.A. hip hop stuff. Some overlap with the game there, but it works. Did a little bit of online crate digging for a few older tracks, though. Enjoy.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Brando70 wrote:Holy balls, I saw this on Kotaku. If you don't watch the whole thing, start around 2:20 and watch to the end.

Holy shitballs. That was incredible.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Fantastic. Gotta get myself more sticky bombs. :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

FYI, The online component goes live at 7 am EST.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Diablo25 wrote:
Brando70 wrote:Holy balls, I saw this on Kotaku. If you don't watch the whole thing, start around 2:20 and watch to the end.

Holy shitballs. That was incredible.
Haha... FANTASTIC!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:FYI, The online component goes live at 7 am EST.
So far, it's just running around and shooting people. We'll see.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Well, it's glitchy. I've restarted three times. The first time in, I was unceremoniously dropped behind the Vinewood sign, with no fanfare, no introductions, no nothing. Ran, and ran, and...ran, until I found a car, then I was shot. Reloaded, and...was shot again. Then got some floating dude telling me that I could go into passive mode so I wouldn't get shot. There was nothing else to do, so I reloaded. I got the full intro, with Lester picking me up at the airport and all. He drives me to a spot, and I'm told to go to a blue spot to start a race. Only...there was no blue spot.

So I reloaded again, and it put me right back in the place where the blue spot was supposed to be. There was a blue spot this time, but now I've been in a "waiting for other players" screen for 15 minutes.

Oh well.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Unless something dramatic happens sometime today, don't expect to get a crew together online tonight. It ain't gonna happen. I wonder if Rockstar were government employed? 8O

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Teal wrote:Unless something dramatic happens sometime today, don't expect to get a crew together online tonight. It ain't gonna happen. I wonder if Rockstar were government employed? 8O

We're still a long way from the point where a game that's so wildly popular won't just overwhelm the servers upon release.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/1/479049 ... ver-issues

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RobVarak wrote:
Teal wrote:Unless something dramatic happens sometime today, don't expect to get a crew together online tonight. It ain't gonna happen. I wonder if Rockstar were government employed? 8O

We're still a long way from the point where a game that's so wildly popular won't just overwhelm the servers upon release.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/1/479049 ... ver-issues
Yeah, I know.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Some brief early impressions. I found it helpful in letting me know what to expect:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/01/begin ... re_twitter

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I was on this morning... insane wait times on loading screens, but made my character (that heredity thing is weird), watched the intro (greeted by Lamar who wasted no time hitting on me... female avatar, you see) and did one race and one mission. It's gonna be great once it gets going.

I sent a request to join the DSP Crew, haven't checked if it was accepted or not.

edit: scratch that, I'm in. Looking forward to mayhem!

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Considering it's taken 2 wks just for the iFruit and Rockstar Social club stuff to work well, my hopes weren't that high that GTA Online would be working right out of the gate. I'm not so bummed as I'm just taking lengthy detours through the single player. Keep the impressions coming though, much appreciated.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I had no issues with loading GTA Online or creating a character, or any sort of bugs with Lamar, etc. But as soon as I stepped in the blue circle, I got the dreaded "Waiting for players" junk. Never ended.

I reloaded the game, thinking I may just not go to the blue circle and wander around--as soon as it loaded, my character auto-walks to the blue circle and starts it all over again.

It may be an interesting experience as a solo guy running around in that world, but I can't even get to it as of yet. I'll give it another whirl later tonight and see if anything's resolved.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:I had no issues with loading GTA Online or creating a character, or any sort of bugs with Lamar, etc. But as soon as I stepped in the blue circle, I got the dreaded "Waiting for players" junk. Never ended.

I reloaded the game, thinking I may just not go to the blue circle and wander around--as soon as it loaded, my character auto-walks to the blue circle and starts it all over again.

It may be an interesting experience as a solo guy running around in that world, but I can't even get to it as of yet. I'll give it another whirl later tonight and see if anything's resolved.

When I was thrown from the sky into the world without any intros or anything (my first foray into the world), I drove around for quite awhile. Interacted with one dick who just wanted to follow me around and shoot me. After that, all it's been is what you describe.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

All I got was a black screen saying downloading online policy which never materialized so I went back to the story.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Everything (launch, character creation, etc.) went great. After that...Launching Game......infinity.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Created, went thru intro, I did the first race , stole some drugs, bought clothes and then the game disconnected. When I came back all progress was lost including my created character.

Off to a flying start!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just tried it again and nothing. Game just hangs on loading screen. Guess I'll give it another try tomorrow.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:Just tried it again and nothing. Game just hangs on loading screen. Guess I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Same thing, no chance to even create my dude. I am content just playing the story for now. I am sure there are things to iron out online still.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:Just tried it again and nothing. Game just hangs on loading screen. Guess I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Same here. Gave up after sitting forever in loading screen, waiting to start a race.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
Same here. Gave up after sitting forever in loading screen, waiting to start a race.
Made it by this the first time. Not the second third fourth or even fifth try. Then off to bed.

Im scared once I do make it past that race again, the game will lose my progress again.