The Show "MLB 07" Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

btmmayor wrote: Also, a friend of mine brought over his PS2 version of The Show for me to look at. To call the graphics a "moderate upgrade" is just a bit of an understatement. Side by side there is just no comparision. I was really surprised to see just how choppy the PS2 version can be as well. Its amazing how much better a sports game feels when it runs as smooth as the PS3 version does.
First anything looks better then most PS2 games. Last years MLB (first 360 version) was blasted for a number of things. One of which was it didn't look like much of a graphical upgrade from the previous Xbox version. The Show is looks as good as last years version of MLB (again graphically not animations) so basically this looks like a really good Xbox game.

It is the smoothest game I have ever played, but I personally sperate the two. I was strictly talking graphics, colors etc.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

If you're ready to make the jump to a next gen console, and your primary genre of choice is sports, then why wouldn't you go with the PS3? Having two quality baseball games to choose from is a no brainer. The only sport you're missing out on is the Top Spin series, which in itself is great. Hopefully, the PS3 will see Smash Court Tennis 3 come down the pipeline, but I'm not holding my breath.

For someone like me who quickly burns out on FPS and racing games (except burnout), I justfied switching to the PS3. Additionally, I could never go back to gaming on the original Xbox or PS2.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Danimal wrote: so basically this looks like a really good Xbox game.
Wow. Like I said in an earlier post, even my wife who never says a word about my games commented about how nice the Show looks on the PS3. She even sat down and watched for a few innings.

The graphics are certainly not jaw dropping, but a really good Xbox game? Toss the old 2K games or Inside Pitch into the tray and take a look. We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:If you're ready to make the jump to a next gen console, and your primary genre of choice is sports, then why wouldn't you go with the PS3? Having two quality baseball games to choose from is a no brainer. The only sport you're missing out on is the Top Spin series, which in itself is great. Hopefully, the PS3 will see Smash Court Tennis 3 come down the pipeline, but I'm not holding my breath.

For someone like me who quickly burns out on FPS and racing games (except burnout), I justfied switching to the PS3. Additionally, I could never go back to gaming on the original Xbox or PS2.
I'm going back to next gen gaming and I'm definitly going with an Xbox 360 over a ps3.

1. Price $600 vs $400
2. Games (NHL 07, Halo 3, and it has all the sports games I like)
3. XBL
4. The ease of connecting it to an LCD monitor with VGA cables.

But these are just my reasons and I completely understand those of you who bought the ps3.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

sportdan30 wrote:If you're ready to make the jump to a next gen console, and your primary genre of choice is sports, then why wouldn't you go with the PS3?
I can possibly buy that as long as you aren't interested in multi-player. Has anyone even successfully played an online game with MLB The Show on the PS3? If not, that's pretty pitiful IMO.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Sport and I have finished one game out of at least five or six tries. Not a great percentage.

I agree with Leebo. RIGHT NOW (caps because there were PLENTY of 360 online hiccups back when it started as well), if multi-player/online is your number one gaming need, the PS3 is NOT the system you want. I think all of us are hoping that somehow HOME at least helps.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

How is online play with the PS2 version?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Leebo,

My multiplayer interest is minimally low. I simply can't commit to playing longer than an hour so, nor can I stay up late as I have to up early in the morning. If I was still single, I'd be much more involved in the multiplayer experience as I'd play moreso early in th evening. I just find myself getting burned out on the online aspect of most games after a couple days in any case. Maybe, because I suck!

Still, I much more enjoy the single player experience as I'd rather concentrate on the single season I'm playing, and in this case the RTTS as well.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Dan, I'm the same way. Outside of the WE League I rarely play on XBL anymore and will actually consider cancelling my XBL at the end of the year. But I know people that are the exact opposite and mainly play online.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am with both of you. It's amazing what littles ones can do in your life. Plus with my constant travels, the only online games I play these days are WE, Fifa 07 and some tennis. I am considering not renewing my subscription to XBL after 08 when it expires. I have still Vegas, GRAW 2 and GOW, with the time change in the West by the time I get online, Zeppo and the rest of the boys are finishing up.

I hope they fix the online feature a bit with this game though, as I am willing to give it a try with some of you guys.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I knew the Show was going to be good based on the comments here, but I wasn't expecting it to be this good. There is a lot of room for improvement in the graphics department (not that they are bad by any means but the PS3 is capable of so much more), but the default gameplay is almost tweaked to perfection for my tastes. The PSP version is good but the PS3 version offers much better physics, more realistic hit totals (I'm on default All-Star), and the best check swing results of any baseball game I've ever played.

There was a time when fielding in this series was almost automatic and boring, but now the fielding is a lot of fun and so smooth. It's not as good as MVP with fielding IMO, but since it beats MVP in almost every other possible way I don't really care.

The series has made incredible strides since it first appeared on the PS2 and should be a case study in "3 year or 5 year plans" for video games. Think back to MLB 2004, 2005, 2006, 06 The Show, and now 07 and look at the improvements each year. They fixed and tweaked and now have a masterpiece. Almost all the reviewers of this game on the PS3 so far are insane.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I love the animations and sound of the broken bats. I'd like to try the game online as it seems to be the weak point of the game so far.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Leebo. Like you, I'm playing on All Star default, and not once have I had the urge to tweak a slider. In fact, I couldn't even tell you what sliders are in the game. That's a refreshing, and welcomed change to sports gaming. I love the way The Show for the PS3 plays out of the box. The overall variety is unmatched.

Of course, with another dead 360 (my 5th or 6th, I've lost count), I've had plenty of time to spend with The Show. :cry:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sully wrote:Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Leebo. Like you, I'm playing on All Star default, and not once have I had the urge to tweak a slider. In fact, I couldn't even tell you what sliders are in the game. That's a refreshing, and welcomed change to sports gaming. I love the way The Show for the PS3 plays out of the box. The overall variety is unmatched.

Of course, with another dead 360 (my 5th or 6th, I've lost count), I've had plenty of time to spend with The Show. :cry:
That's great to hear, makes a game all that much better, imo.

I feel this way about NHL 07 for the 360.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Sully wrote:Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Leebo. Like you, I'm playing on All Star default, and not once have I had the urge to tweak a slider.
I'm sure this is just an odd run I am on, but how are the CPU run totals for you guys on default All Star? I'm playing as the Pirates and my ERA is below 2 right now. Its funny because that is the complete opposite of the PSP version were if I play on All Star the CPU just drills me.

I'm fighting the urge to tweak things to increase the CPU offense as I don't want to get into the whole slider thing and I really do think its just an anomaly right now. I know as soon as I do the CPU will score 15 off of me and I'll be tweaking the other way. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm playing on veteran and I'm finding the CPU hitting a lot of homeruns. I've even turned down the slider one notch. It's really the 2-5 batters who give me the most trouble.

I thought I was getting too good on veteran as I took the first two games in the series against the Cubs. Just blasted them. The last game in the series I faced Zambrano, and he really controlled the game from start to finish, allowing one run on 6 hits.

Great great game.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

btmmayor wrote:
Sully wrote:Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Leebo. Like you, I'm playing on All Star default, and not once have I had the urge to tweak a slider.
I'm sure this is just an odd run I am on, but how are the CPU run totals for you guys on default All Star? I'm playing as the Pirates and my ERA is below 2 right now. Its funny because that is the complete opposite of the PSP version were if I play on All Star the CPU just drills me.

I'm fighting the urge to tweak things to increase the CPU offense as I don't want to get into the whole slider thing and I really do think its just an anomaly right now. I know as soon as I do the CPU will score 15 off of me and I'll be tweaking the other way. :)
I think I'm middle of the pack in ERA in the NL. I'd say my team ERA is close to 4. I've given up the most homeruns in the NL, but only by 2 or 3, so that hasn't caused me to worry just yet. I'll check the numbers tonight after 18 games, and post them. I'm 10-8 overall after losing 2 straight to the Reds.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

My team ERA with the Pirates is 3.69 after 8 games but is on the rise of late. I am using classic pitching as it is the only way I can really walk anyone (walked 5 in my last game vs. STL). The meter is too easy on All-Star plus I prefer classic anyway. Although it takes away some of the interaction, it is well done and ratings really matter.

I tweaked my first slider lowering throwing strength a few notches and that seemed to do the trick. The great thing about not having to tweak sliders is that you can really appreciate the variety without constantly having to adjust. I struck out a batter in my last game on three straight pitches that he took, but I had *never* seen that before and there was no need to worry about adjusting anything.

One thing they will have to work on next year are the tags. Players don't seem to make tags all the time so it is tough to know for sure if you got the out.

It's been said before but the numerous foul balls and check swings add *SO* much to this game. This is the only graphical MLB game in history that allows you to draw a walk on a 14 pitch at bat after being down 0-2 on a default setting with no tweaks.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I haven't touched Franchise since I decided to see what all the fuss was about with RTTS. Now I log about 15-20 games a night with my 3B in the White Soxs orgnization.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Skimmed through it and it's an excellent review, but I don't get the logic behind his 8/10 but "ignore the score" thing.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

At least one reviewer got it right. The OS review is near-perfect; detailing the beauty of actually playing this game while still covering the minor issues that need to be fixed for next year.

I bought a PS3 almost exclusively because of The Show, and right now it's easily worth the $700 investment - it's that good. Road to the Show is videogame CRACK, I can't stop playing it. I'm in my second career after my Closing Pitcher went nowhere.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I really hope that at least one of the next gen football games this year is as good as The Show. Same goes for hockey.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GTHobbes wrote:I really hope that at least one of the next gen football games this year is as good as The Show. Same goes for hockey.
I hope EA doesn't screw up NHL 08 - there is not much that needs tweaking imho.

I honestly think Madden might be decent this year............ just kidding!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

GTHobbes wrote:I really hope that at least one of the next gen football games this year is as good as The Show. Same goes for hockey.
I think you're going to be really happy with APF, it won't be everyones cup of tee because its not the NFL and there is no franchise. So it has the possiblity to get old fast. Althought it will have online leagues, but I think people put more talk value in that vs the ammount it is used.

I'll just say It went from not even remotely interested to top of my list recently.

EDIT: Changed some wording to avoid any problems.
Follow Me on: