Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

At the end or near end of the 2nd period, Oilers had 2 different instances of 5 on 3, and they capitalized on neither chance. When I saw the couldn't make Legace nervous I fell asleep and when I awaken, shocker, Detroit had won 4-2. You have to take advantage of opportunities when given and the Oil just didn't. Good luck in the 2 out of 3.
gamertag: ddtrane65

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

I think complaining about one call when there were that many 5 on 3's is a little ridiculous. That's where you have to capitalize. I think Chelios' penalty was bull. He cleared the front of the net and the guy came skating back at him and into his stick, I'd go psycho too.

Tick tac paddywac see ya at the Joe...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:I am worried about the Habs. Not so much because they lost the last game, but more important is how the team will react now without their Captain. Big loss and the momentum may just have turned in favor of the Canes.

Someone may step it up...but...Im with you...I think that losing Koivu was the worst part of the play. Killed the Habs...if not in this series for any chance they had at making a run at the cup.

Canes on the otherhand have no reason, except that maybe they suck, for losing this series.

Ofcourse it is hockey and hockey players have a way of making it back on the ice...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No question, 10s. Total lack of discipline by the Oil last night. Final score should have been 5-2, as Ledya and Chelios missed open nets, and Lidstrom's goal NEVER should have counted due to the pick.

I hope MacT puts Matt Greene on the pine for Game 5 and returns Tarnstrom to the lineup. Greene is a promising young kid, but he was way too undisciplined and did very little in his end last night. Every time the puck touched his stick, he looked terrified, richocheting it off the boards and out of the zone. I can recall maybe two times the entire game where Greene actually attempted to head-man the puck out of the zone.

The Oil didn't trap much at all last night and got shredded. Will MacT return to the trap for Game 5? I think so.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

laurenskye wrote:I think complaining about one call when there were that many 5 on 3's is a little ridiculous. That's where you have to capitalize. I think Chelios' penalty was bull. He cleared the front of the net and the guy came skating back at him and into his stick, I'd go psycho too.

Tick tac paddywac see ya at the Joe...
Bull? He high-sticked Smyth right in the chest and then in the jaw. Now, I know that's Chelly's style of playing defense instead of moving his 59-year-old feet like most defensemen, but it is a penalty.

Plus I think it was an "accumulation call," as Chelly was cross-checking Smyth all night in the slot. Chelly can't handle Smyth in the slot. Then again, few defensemen in the NHL can. Smyth is tougher than hell down there.

But you're right about the 5-on-3's. The Oil didn't capitalize and were WAY too cute, passing too much.

Still, to say the Lidstrom goal wasn't pivotal is just daffy. It broke a 2-2 in the third period despite BLATANT interference by Lidstrom. If the refs made a ton of non-calls throughout the game, then I would have had less of a problem with Lidstrom's pick. But that no-call was obscene in a game in which sneezing almost was called for a two-minute minor.

Yes, the Oil should have been down 4-2 at the point of Nick's Pick, but they weren't. And that's what pissed me off even more about the no-call.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

players get thier head taken off on every shift in front of the net, look what they do to Holmstrom. yes they called a lot of ticky tac penalties but they were not calling interference all night. Everytime a puck was dumped in the players progress was impeded, on both sides, yet rarely called. Just the way they were calling the game. Maybe Lindstrom realized that's the way they were calling it and interfered.

Should it be a penalty, yes

Was it called all night, no.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Bad News for Habs ...Koivu's injury cant be fully examined til the swelling goes down...Out indefinately...

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9400479

Still waiting For Betman's goons to call the penalty....

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

Wish I could comment and defend little Nicky, but I fell asleep before the 10-minute mark of the second period last night and didn't wake up on the couch till 5. Damn narcosleepy.
---Todd

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:Bad News for Habs ...Koivu's injury cant be fully examined til the swelling goes down...Out indefinately...

And speaking of missing calls. There's no more blatant missed up call than the one where Koivu gtes hurt. I mean, you zebras have been calling the penalties fairly so far, have you been perfect, nope, but how could they don't call that one. Granted it was accidental, but you have to have control of your stick. His eye was bleeding, evidence was there, what were they waiting for?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:
XXXIV wrote:Bad News for Habs ...Koivu's injury cant be fully examined til the swelling goes down...Out indefinately...

And speaking of missing calls. There's no more blatant missed up call than the one where Koivu gtes hurt. I mean, you zebras have been calling the penalties fairly so far, have you been perfect, nope, but how could they don't call that one. Granted it was accidental, but you have to have control of your stick. His eye was bleeding, evidence was there, what were they waiting for?
Its not like it was off in a corner or behind the play somewhere. It was in plain sight, In front of the goal where the entire hockey world saw it except for the 4 clowns impersonating officials....

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Which Team will have the most rested players? COL or New Jersey?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Another pathetic call in Hab/Cane game tonight. This time against the Canes. Terrible call. Sad attempt at a make up call by some really pathetic officials. It didnt bring back Koivu or give the Habs a 3-0 series lead....

Barring a miracle...A medical miracle ...or a Cane collapse ...I see this sucker as done...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And for those Sabres fans (and also Philly) that thought the series would be over by now, P. Forsberg singledhandledly brought this series to a tie. He was everywhere tonight. Both goalies looked shaky and what is Philly going to do with M. Rathje? This guy was a liability everytime he was on the ice, he's just a big turtle trying to hold off the speedy BUFF forwards.

Nice to see R.J Umberger score a goal.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:And for those Sabres fans (and also Philly) that thought the series would be over by now, P. Forsberg singledhandledly brought this series to a tie. He was everywhere tonight. Both goalies looked shaky and what is Philly going to do with M. Rathje? This guy was a liability everytime he was on the ice, he's just a big turtle trying to hold off the speedy BUFF forwards.

Forsberg....what a player...

Umberger... hes a great story...

Great theatre...Love the NHL playoffs....Nice to once gain see a real sport having spring playoffs...

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

10spro wrote:And for those Sabres fans (and also Philly) that thought the series would be over by now, P. Forsberg singledhandledly brought this series to a tie. He was everywhere tonight. Both goalies looked shaky and what is Philly going to do with M. Rathje? This guy was a liability everytime he was on the ice, he's just a big turtle trying to hold off the speedy BUFF forwards.

Buffalo beat themselves tonight. 2 goal lead on the road, 4 breakaway misses as well as a missed penalty shot. They are a young team and it's showing. Bottom line is that Philly is going to have to win a game at HSBC and I don't believe they can.

GO SABRES!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I think Esche played great and deserved getting the 2nd star like he did. The first goal was a Powerplay tip he had no chance on, same with the second goal where Desjardins pushed him and the puck into the net. The third goal was a close in shot on the Powerplay which he possibly could have stopped but certainly wasn't his fault, and then he finally let in a breakaway when the team went to sleep in the last minute.

I give Rathje credit for playing with an injury but that turnover then penalty was just horrible.

It's funny you say Buffalo beat themselves when the goal that gave them a 2-0 lead was caused by a Flyers mistake when and they missed on all those breakaways because Esche made the save or at least put them off.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

tjung0831 wrote:

Buffalo beat themselves tonight. 2 goal lead on the road, 4 breakaway misses as well as a missed penalty shot. They are a young team and it's showing. Bottom line is that Philly is going to have to win a game at HSBC and I don't believe they can.

GO SABRES!
Beat themselves? Did we watch the same game? Desjardins gave them the 2nd goal, and from that point on, it was all Philly.

We're starting to realize that Miller's a freaking sieve, put the puck on net, this guy's got more holes than swiss cheese.

2nd game in a row we kept Buffalo's speed to the outside. I'm feeling confident about our play now. Forsberg has taken this team on his back, and has proven he's one of the best players in the world.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Sully wrote:Beat themselves? Did we watch the same game? .
No you guys didnt....you saw it as a Philly fan and he saw it as a Saber fan.

I think its cute :D ...What its all about...you are passionate fans...

As am I...and this is what I have to say....Go Koivu! get better!...Bettman go f*** yourself...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Forsberg is a beast, and he has Buffalo running scared. On Desjardins' goal, THREE Buffalo defenders converged on Forsberg after he skated almost completely around the Buffalo zone. That left half of Erie County open, giving Desjardins a wide-open shot.

Game 5 will be a real test of balls for Buffalo. If it loses Game 5 at HSBC, it's toast in this series.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I was switching back and forth between the Habs game and Philly and yes the whole momentum may have shifted for the Canes, the instant Koivu went down. You could just feel it. We all know that it's a team sport, but Saku is the heart and soul for Montreal and someone else better step it up. Ward is playing great too for CAR.

So far I see a much more determined Dallas team...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Forsberg = :D Can't wait for game 5!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I am very nervous. Best of 3 now between the Oilers and Red Wings.

I'm afraid.

Very afraid.

Edit: I'm less afraid. It's now 2-0 Oil.

I never would have thought Fernando Pisani would lead the team in goals with 3!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Devils complete sweep of the Rangers...

As a Devil fan, it's nice for the team to have gotten that monkey off of it's back.

The Rangers were not the same team that played the Devils to a split during the regular season. Injuries as well as a lack of focus hurt them down the stretch and into the playoffs. While a certain part of me would be happy if their playoff-less streak had continued, I have to say congrats to the team for far exceeding expectations. And saluting your fans in the losing effort was a classy way to go out.

The Devils' successes over the past decade are widely appreciated, if their systems occassionally excoriated. However, there is no mystery about our being overshadowed in the media by the team to our north. And the arrogance displayed during the 90's by some of our Ranger fan counterparts was difficult to swallow. The Devils have come a long way since the "Mickey Mouse" days, yet we would hear how the cup win in 95 was only a half of a cup. When the Devils won the cup in 2000, Ranger fans would still remind us of the (in)famous Matteau goal. And until today, we would hear that the Devils had never beaten the Rangers in the playoffs.

In fact, here is the headline from ESPN's current Devils/Rangers article:
"Let's not forget how far Rangers have come this season" which led in with a photo of Jagr.

But just the same, as a fan of the Devils during their own lean years, I can sympathize with Rangers fans and can imagine that better things are on their horizon.

The Devils can trace a good amount of their success to that 1994 series with the Rangers so perhaps next year, fans of both teams will benefit from the continued rivalry with an appropriate amount of appreciation for one another.

-G7

-- Congrats to Ottawa for completing their series against the defending cup champions.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

At the start of the season it didn't look like the Devils would be a force at all but they just thoroughly dominated the Rangers. They finished the season hot and carried that into the playoffs. Hopefully they can keep it up. I'm happy they finally beat the Rangers but I think this team is capable of much more.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yes, yes, YES. Great performance today by the Oil, at least for the last two periods. The team defense in the third period was as good as I've seen this season from Edmonton, and how fitting was it that Horcoff tossed his body at Lidstrom's shot at the buzzer, getting a piece of the puck?

Pisani arguably has been the Oil's best overall forward in this series. He's scoring, passing, playing solid defense, forechecking well and killing penalties. The guy is doing it all for the Oil with minimal fanfare.

Among the other forwards, I thought Peca was very active today, and Jarrett Stoll had a very good game. Horcoff also had one of his best games of the series, finally getting a goal.

Another guy who's contribution can't be overlooked is Chopper, Ethan Moreau. He's recovering more and more from the groin strain and had better legs today. Moreau does so many little things you'll never see on the scoresheet, such as hit, forecheck like a dervish and kill penalties as well as anyone in the NHL. Plus the guy is a real leader in the room.

Hemsky and Samsonov woke up a bit today, but they still both look too sleepy and too passive. The Oil will need them to produce in Game 6.

MacTavish continues to show why he's outcoaching Babcock so far in this series. That timeout at the 10-minute mark of the second period was sheer brilliance. The Oil had just iced the puck and was gassed, so the boys needed some extra time. Plus the Oil just had taken a 2-0 lead, and I'm sure there was a question in nearly every Oilers' player's mind of, "Are we going to go to the trap or keep the pedal down and forecheck?" I'm sure MacT used that timeout to explain his plan to the entire team.

I was stunned at how passive Detroit was in its end today. The defensemen, especially Chelly, Kronwall and Lidstrom, just stood around.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Ryan Smyth standing in front of Legace without a Wing within 4 feet of him on Smyth's goal. Lidstrom f*cked up big-time on that play. And how little Shawn Horcoff had multiple chops at the puck on his goal without Kronwall tying him up also was stunning.

Both Oilers' fans and Wings' fans can break down every aspect of this series looking for the difference, and there are small, subtle differences throughout. But the biggest, most obvious difference is that Dwayne Roloson has been much better than Manny Legace so far in this series.

GO OIL! One more to go. Just one more to go.

Take care,
PK