MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 11 The Show a quick tidbit

Post by JRod »

I've only played as the Giants since downloading the Demo. I am Rockies fan first and foremost, so I have no idea what any team in the AL is doing. Though kind of sickening to play as the Giants...

Anyway, what has helped me is having batting and pitching set to the same camera (catcher-5). It has helped me spot the ball.

Using power and contact swings has taken the batting to the next level. I can't tell you how much fun it is to go down 0-2, fight back to a full count and get a single. The Show has absolutely nailed this. Pitching is still a mixed bag for me, when I'm on, Lincecum is damn near deadly.

I think the CPU is simply too good at spotting pitches. It should swing more on borderline pitches. You can have a deadly slider in the black and the CPU will look at it. Yet on 2 strikes down I can throw a worse slider outside the zone and know they will swing at it. Just seems slightly off.

Can't wait to play as Umbaldo this year.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

JRod wrote:I've only played as the Giants since downloading the Demo. I am Rockies fan first and foremost, so I have no idea what any team in the AL is doing. Though kind of sickening to play as the Giants...

Anyway, what has helped me is having batting and pitching set to the same camera (catcher-5). It has helped me spot the ball.

Using power and contact swings has taken the batting to the next level. I can't tell you how much fun it is to go down 0-2, fight back to a full count and get a single. The Show has absolutely nailed this. Pitching is still a mixed bag for me, when I'm on, Lincecum is damn near deadly.

I think the CPU is simply too good at spotting pitches. It should swing more on borderline pitches. You can have a deadly slider in the black and the CPU will look at it. Yet on 2 strikes down I can throw a worse slider outside the zone and know they will swing at it. Just seems slightly off.

Can't wait to play as Umbaldo this year.
I am also digging the contact button this year too. Working ahead or from behind dictates which button I'm going to use. 2-0? I'm digging in and looking for a fastball with the power button. 1-2? I'm all over the contact button (O) trying to fight my way on. 1-1? I sit on whatever has been the pitchers best pitch, best location and I use the regular swing (X). You are right JRod, they nailed this.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

After downloading both, I will be buying The Show on Tuesday and not looking back. Have absolutely no urge to even rent the other.

Can't wait.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Why can't I be this lucky :cry:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Yeah, supposedly some strores have been confused by Mauer on the cover for the second time...thinking its the 10 version, and actually marking the game at $29.99!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Yeah, supposedly some strores have been confused by Mauer on the cover for the second time...thinking its the 10 version, and actually marking the game at $29.99!
I was just at my local Walmart getting few things and figured I'd swing by the video games just in case they had the game out. Well, they did...but it was the PS2 version only. I asked if they had the PS3 version but the guy said everything was out on the shelves. Talk about a kick to the nuts!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Yeah, supposedly some strores have been confused by Mauer on the cover for the second time...thinking its the 10 version, and actually marking the game at $29.99!
I was just at my local Walmart getting few things and figured I'd swing by the video games just in case they had the game out. Well, they did...but it was the PS2 version only. I asked if they had the PS3 version but the guy said everything was out on the shelves. Talk about a kick to the nuts!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Hmm... may have to hit my Target today!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Although I decided not to get the PS3 version as of now, I went ahead and ordered the PSP version since I have not played The Show on the PSP since MLB 09. I got it on Amazon for 23.99, which was hard to resist. The PSP versions appear to be a bit more offense-oriented which is more up my alley, and can be tweaked if need-be with sliders. Hopefully the load times wont be too bad of an issue.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I'm renting the PSP version to see if anything has changed, but since it's been utterly static for a while now, I'll likely just stick with last year's (which I have the digital download version of... loads much faster than the UMD). The offense was nutso out of the box last year, but some good sliders made it very playable.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Vinny you getting MLB 11? If you do let me know how you like RTTS. :)

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Picked up the PS3 version last night on the way home. LOVE the analog pitching... I think it's the best attempt at such a system to date. Analog hitting feels great when you connect with one, but generally I'm out in front of everything in the early going, and it's totally unclear whether you're still supposed to aim the PCI with the left stick or not. Post-swing feedback sometimes seems in synch with my left thumbstick movements, sometimes not. It may be more timing based now, like MVP was. Hoping for some clarification from the devs at OS or something. Analog fielding works well too. You have to be fairly precise with the right thumbstick... I had three off-line throws to first in my first game.

Was glad to see that classic stadiums were already unlocked if you had them unlocked in last year's game. Would love some new ones, hopefully they're in the works. Although a Mets fan like me has it pretty good already, with three stadiums in-game that are associated in some way with the team.

Game looks almost exactly like last year's, though it may be a bit smoother, and I haven't seen the weather effects yet. Some nice new presentations. And I'll take Karros over Soup & Rex. Early reports made it sound like Karros didn't mesh well due to overall sound differences between his new sessions and Vasgersian's old ones, but that seems to be overblown. It's fine... doesn't make me want to turn off the commentary. Yet.

I hear RTTS is still littered with fictional pitchers that sport 98mph fastballs coupled with a 68mph knuckler. I tried to raise a stink about that at OS last year, but I guess it wasn't heard.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Rodster wrote:Vinny you getting MLB 11? If you do let me know how you like RTTS. :)
Rod: decided to take a pass. At least until later in the year.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Haven't had a lot of time to play, but I did play through one game....Dodgers vs. Cardinals. Here's my quick impressions thus far.

+ Game is just so smooth. Fielding, batting, animations, etc.
+ Unlike last year, there are first pitch outs. I swear they were few and far between in '10.
+ There are some new stat overlays that give a bit more of an immersive feel.
+ Love the analog fielding. Also, it's evident this year that you have more control over your fielder....charging a ground ball for, going in the hole, etc.
+ I did have one error in the game, but it was legit. Hard grounder up the middle, Schumaker got turned around and threw off his back foot and the ball sailed over the head of Pujols.
+ Player models look really nice, although their jerseys don't seem to move.
+ The lighting is just amazing. It's very subtle as the shadows moves in.
+ The crowd is livelier than I recall. They really get on the home plate umpire. Would love to hear more hecklers though. They really do come alive during a rally or a key point in the game.
+ Broadcast view is great! It really looks like the Cardinals broadcast view....that really floored me when I saw it the first time.
+ I played on everything Veteran but the game felt right out of the box. Like I said, some first pitch outs, you might see three grounders in an inning, hit variety seems even more realistic than a year ago, your computer opponent will swing at pitches outside the strike zone,

I'm very much impressed thus far. Can't really think of anything negative to say at this point. It did take me a good full hour to play through a game on broadcast presentation. Might play a few more games that way so I can see all there is to see with cut scenes (there's definitely new ones), but after that, it's fast play the rest of the way.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Slumberland wrote:I hear RTTS is still littered with fictional pitchers that sport 98mph fastballs coupled with a 68mph knuckler. I tried to raise a stink about that at OS last year, but I guess it wasn't heard.
how appealing.

based on early returns, don't know why SCEA even bothered to make a RTTS feedback/wishlist thread, last year. Would've saved me from alot of typing

edit: thank you also, for the feedback you posted above, Dan

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vinny-b wrote:
Rodster wrote:Vinny you getting MLB 11? If you do let me know how you like RTTS. :)
Rod: decided to take a pass. At least until later in the year.
Looks like the same for me since I only play RTTS. Might as well wait till I can get it for around $30 late this year. Hopefully Amazon will have a sale soon for like $40.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not much to add from what Sportdan mentioned above other than I just got drilled by the damn Yankees, playing the Jays. I left everything on default except the catcher camera angle at 5. Pulling the throws with the analog seems that it takes an extra millisecond too late and it doesn't feel as smooth as when it's done with the buttons. Maybe it's just me. Gorgeous graphics, player models are amazing, boy it was tough to pitch around the Yankees lineup who had a few too many HR's to my liking. :evil: Whole game took about 1:10 to finish, but that's me leaving all the tips, cut scenes and player research.

You guys have to try hitting with the Move in the HR derby mode.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

FYI:

MLB 11 The Show $50 and free shipping (via Newegg)

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

10spro wrote: You guys have to try hitting with the Move in the HR derby mode.
Work has me out of town until Thursday (seems to happen every year when The Show is released) and I've been looking forward to trying the Move with HR Derby...can't tell from your comment, is it fun? I'd love to hear from somebody here who has both the Move and a 3D TV.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

How long does a 9-inning game take on the PS3 version if you cycle through the overlays and such quickly? The reason I ask is because I like to play a 162-game season when I play baseball games. High Heat was always cool because I could play a game in 20-25 mins easily.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

toonarmy wrote:How long does a 9-inning game take on the PS3 version if you cycle through the overlays and such quickly? The reason I ask is because I like to play a 162-game season when I play baseball games. High Heat was always cool because I could play a game in 20-25 mins easily.
If you play without any of the presentation it takes like 30-35 minutes for a 9 inning game.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:
toonarmy wrote:How long does a 9-inning game take on the PS3 version if you cycle through the overlays and such quickly? The reason I ask is because I like to play a 162-game season when I play baseball games. High Heat was always cool because I could play a game in 20-25 mins easily.
If you play without any of the presentation it takes like 30-35 minutes for a 9 inning game.
Cool! Thanks.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

GTHobbes wrote:
10spro wrote: You guys have to try hitting with the Move in the HR derby mode.
Work has me out of town until Thursday (seems to happen every year when The Show is released) and I've been looking forward to trying the Move with HR Derby...can't tell from your comment, is it fun? I'd love to hear from somebody here who has both the Move and a 3D TV.
Very cool feature. The only irritant is when you have to start re-assigning your motion controller to a different port as I had to do mine with Killzone 3 and now with "The Show". In the beginning you find that you'll either miss or foul ball a lot but once you got the timing right and you hit one out of the park, you feel like an A. Pujols. Then when you got the timing issue right, you want to brag and see how far you can hit it. 8) I think my longest ball was 458 yards.

Haven't it play in 3D yet.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So far I played a couple of exhibitions with all the cool presentation and eye candy ON. I averaged around 1:05 for all 9 innings.

I will try it on fast mode later, my guess would be around 35-40 minutes.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The Show just captures the core mechanics of baseball very well, but also the little details in the crowd and player animations that make the game so unique, love using the analog control to pitch and bat an application done so smoothly without losing any control.

So far my only beef and it's a minor one because I will go back to the buttons, is the analog throwing which I mentioned earlier seems to lag for a millisecond. Base running can be improved too but so far I am glad I picked up thus years' copy.