Titanfall

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Titanfall

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote:
Looking at timestamps from my post and PMs, Rob responded in 3 minutes!

Nerd.
Doesn't everybody keep a DSP tab open and constantly refreshing to see if there's been a winner declared in the XB1/PS4 thread?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:
Naples39 wrote:
Looking at timestamps from my post and PMs, Rob responded in 3 minutes!

Nerd.
Doesn't everybody keep a DSP tab open and constantly refreshing to see if there's been a winner declared in the XB1/PS4 thread?
LOL. Sounds like the old politics threads.

I am going to need a decision on the XB1/PS4 issue in the next few months though.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/14/541140 ... e-at-first
Titanfall is a game that offers many advantages to people who aren’t very good at first-person shooters. The game doesn’t tilt the scales in favor of the still-learning, the older or the slow, but it does provide less-skilled players many ways to excel. It doesn’t offer anyone a better way to play, exactly. But it does go out of its way to offer many different ways of playing, depending on your skill set.

If you believe your existence in the Call of Duty series is mostly to act as a punching bag, this may be the game you’ve been waiting for.
Article goes on to give a few gameplay tips.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

No invite for me crap!
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just started to DL my beta, here's a video for starters.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/titanfal ... MKTf703f69

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I downloaded tonight, but servers are currently down at the moment? I guess I'll have to do Ice Dragons then!

Btw, just need to say I was getting 49 MB/s download off Origin by the end of the download. Holy crap. The last 3 gigs downloaded in less than minute I think. (I'm subscribed for 50 Mb/s from comcast)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

No luck playing the Beta at all. Even worse, no Xbone game would start after I kept trying it every 10 minutes or so unless I would reboot the system.

Yes, to the dragons room in a bit.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Servers are up.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Enjoying the beta, but without a true single player campaign, I'm not sure it's worth $60 to me. It's definitely more fun than COD and BF though in terms of overall enjoyment. I have at least a fighting chance in TF.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Finally got in 2 rounds this morning.

Pretty interesting:
-Graphics are meh
-Gameplay is an interesting mix of different games. The shooting mechanics are similar to COD, but the map is more like a small battlefield map. It's also like battlefield in the dynamic between "vehicles" and foot soldiers, with a very lively battlefield.
-Being able to quickly ascend to rooftops and get around the level is something I'm going to have to wrap my head around and how to take advantage of it.
-It definitely throws a bone to people tired of COD twitchiness and/or can't compete in that way. Titans are plodding, the smart pistol does auto head shots, and the bots are easy targets for human players to chew on.

I also appear to have received ANOTHER beta key. PC this time. Again, PM me if you want it [GONE].
Last edited by Naples39 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Naples39 wrote:Finally got in 2 rounds this morning.

Pretty interesting:
-Graphics are meh
-Gameplay is an interesting mix of different games. The shooting mechanics are similar to COD, but the map is more like a small battlefield map. It's also like battlefield in the dynamic between "vehicles" and foot soldiers, with a very lively battlefield.
-Being able to quickly ascend to rooftops and get around the level is something I'm going to have to wrap my head around and how to take advantage of it.
-It definitely throws a bone to people tired of COD twitchiness and/or can't compete in that way. Titans are plodding, the smart pistol does auto head shots, and the bots are easy targets for human players to chew on.

I also appear to have received ANOTHER beta key. PC this time. Again, PM me if you want it.
I thought the graphics were very impressive. The detail was striking, particularly given the amount of craziness going on all at once. The overall art direction is pretty cookie cutter post-apocalyptic dystopia, but I found it pleasing to look at.

The map design is intriguing. Tons of little nooks and crannies that aren't immediately obvious that really will reward learning the maps well.

The most exciting thing that I've gotten a taste for out of the first few games is the little dramatic dynamics that play out. The timely arrival or untimely demise of titans can turn a battle. What starts as a little encounter between me and an enemy could end up being the focal point of the battle if we start calling in titans etc. This game is going to lend itself to some awesome game DVR clips. :)

The titan shield mechanics are genius and really lend an interesting mind game in a place where it wouldn't immediately be expected.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Got a code this afternoon, downloading now.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played a couple of rounds, its a lot of fun but I just don't think my failing eye sight is going to allow me to play shooters anymore. My peripheral vision is almost gone so looking at a 9 foot screen I'm still missing stuff on the sides.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The Beta version is being opened up to all Xbone users.

So far I seem to enjoy better running as a soldier with my trusty smart gun on assault than wearing my Titan suit.

Although riding on the enemy's Titan is certainly a lot of fun watching it self destroy. :twisted:

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I had decided to avoid trying out the beta so that the full game would have the most impact for me, but now that it's available right there on the dash, and also since this crowd will probably be done with the game completely after a few days with the beta :wink: I'm going to give it a d/l and try it out.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:The Beta version is being opened up to all Xbone users.

So far I seem to enjoy better running as a soldier with my trusty smart gun on assault than wearing my Titan suit.

Although riding on the enemy's Titan is certainly a lot of fun watching it self destroy. :twisted:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm downloading now. I'll give it some time later on tonight. I'll be able to compare it to the alpha.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Second play through, I started to enjoy the experience a bit more. I'm finding that you can't necessarily go in guns blazing, unless of course you're in a Titan. It's still a bit infuriating getting shot in the back multiple times.

I'm still not sold on an online only game at full price.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

sportdan30 wrote: I'm still not sold on an online only game at full price.
Shadowrun. Some of us were sold 5 years ago.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm not 100% sure of the long run appeal for me in this game, but online only is no problem for me.

I didn't play a single minute of SP in Black Ops 1, 2, or MW3. I've been paying $60 for MP only for a few years.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Still feel like I'm not getting to grips with the tactics when I'm in a titan. I try to find 2v1 opportunities, because no matter how smart I try to play it, I always end up as a pinata. I have much better success influencing the outcome of a round as a soldier, especially now that improved weapons and burn cards are opening up.

On the bright side, I've had no inclination to rage quit. Usually, I'm fighting that during the ascent of a learning curve in a shooter. The burn cards are another interesting design choice that seems to be driven by an attempt to remedy the problems of the post-CoD shooters (much like the epilogue mechanic). I like them a lot. It's a cool wrinkle and makes each game seem like a different animal.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I find I do better if I put the Titan in follow mode and stay on foot. I honestly don't think I've been on a winning team yet though.
Follow Me on:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I still am trying to wrap my head around the traversal - instead of running from point to point I need to be jumping/wallrunning more - check out this guy;

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'm pretty awful so far at this game but even so I've been enjoying it more and more as I play. Not surprisingly, I much prefer the conquest style mode to the "attrition" death match mode. Despite my apparent lack of ability to kill enemy pilots in any round, I've been top two a few times thanks to capturing and holding conquest points.

I haven't used any burn cards yet, and I spend so little time in the Titan before getting destroyed that I've yet to develop any preference for Titan load outs. Once I'm in a Titan I tend to head straight for a conquest point we don't control and lumber around, shooting at anything that moves.

I can echo what Rob is saying about not rage quitting. Despite my suckiness I am still having a lot of fun throughout the round. I find the maps to be smaller than I'd expected, but I really like how there are two maps built within one another: one for the titans, which is flat, and one for the pilots which has a lot of elevation and all kinds of nooks and crannies and pathways through buildings and such. As a pilot, it's a very vertical game and I really love the nimble and speedy movement.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Really enjoying this one so far. Silky smooth graphics and gameplay - feels "next-gen" to me. This game would be a PERFECT DSP Poker Night game but I know it'll never happen. Ahhh well.

Can the minons/bots actually kill you?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Spooky wrote: Can the minons/bots actually kill you?
They're pretty dumb on an individual basis, but they often travel in tight-knit squads that can take you down if you're not careful. They're very stormtrooper-like. They'll just keep coming down a path, which is kind of the point. They're essentially titan-timer fuel.

Saw a great tip last night. You can press for a melee attack while wall-running and you'll use your knife as a handhold and just stick to the wall. Haven't tried it yet, but that could be useful.